I've been searching for this film for nearly twenty years....

Likely made in the early 1990s. American film, color, well made. Category: drama. Very creepy, slow, and Lynchian.

Based in a small Midwestern town in the 1950s, perhaps Kansas or Oklahoma, post-Dust Bowl.

I can't remember a plot, but I think it was based around one family with an older son who is wanting to leave his hometown but feels bad about leaving his mother.

WHAT I DO REMEMBER:

There is a group of hoodlums (they look like '50s teenagers with white T-shirts, jeans, and slicked-back hair) who drive around town in a black(?) car, staring at the other townfolk, making them nervous. At one point, they get a young teenage girl to get in the car with them. She is never seen again. This disturbs the whole town.

A man (probably the girl's father, who also, I believe, owned the town's only gas station) pours gas on himself and lights himself on fire.

To sum it up: Very creepy, Lynchian, Midwestern, 1950s, hoodlums in a car kidnap a girl and kill her, man pours gasoline on himself and sets himself ablaze. Lynchian, very.

HELP!