Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

what da.... "The Polar Express" which reportedly cost $270 million to make

so I was doin my usual internet new reading and accidentally read this......

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...media_imax_col

TORONTO (Reuters) - Tom Hanks' holiday movie "The Polar Express" has set an opening weekend record for a Hollywood film released in Imax Corp.'s giant screen format, the company's co-chief executive said on Monday.

Brad Wechsler said the film grossed $2.1 million over the weekend in 59 North American Imax theaters for a total of $3 million in receipts since Wednesday.

"We're extremely pleased in terms of its absolute performance in Imax. We've set a new weekend record for us ... we've had a ton of sold out shows and our advance sales to consumers have been great," Wechsler told Reuters.

In the battle of computer-animated cartoons, "The Polar Express" pulled in at a distant No. 2 on North American weekend box offices after "The Incredibles", according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

"The Polar Express," which reportedly cost $270 million to make and market, opened with a modest $23.5 million for the weekend, distributor Warner Bros. Pictures said. Since its release on Wednesday, it has earned $30.8 million.

is this for real ? I mean WB invested so much on this movie?
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    $270 mill for that film? lol - it looks like sh!t and it also loks like a real stinker, haha. well, hollywood still works in mysterious ways

Credits
    Not sure, but SONY's ImageWorks must have paid loads of money to invent this new facial capture system.

Don't forget that this system has already been licensed for use in new films, so there are other sources of revenue, with The Polar Express as probably no more than a demo reel!

Credits
    I've read that the official number of $150M is very low and not the actual cost. Industry insiders have speculated that this movie may have been the most expensive movie ever to produce...but WB won't confirm that...I wonder if the $270M number comes as an extrapolation of that guess.
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    If you read it ppl, the cost also includes marketing so that adds a huge amount to the cost. I can't say for sure but the marketing does look big.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    The movie isn't that bad. I absolutely loved it!!
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by radstar
    The movie isn't that bad.
    well, this is just my first thoughts after seeing the trailers and what i say was really bad. but i give it a chance when the movie arrives on dvd

Credits
    This is like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, all over again... It didn't even do that great in theaters on opening weekend since it had to compete against The Incredibles...
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    they shouldn't have released it alongside The Incredibles. a few weeks later would have seen it do better, although it may have been mauled by Blade: Trinity.

Credits
    yeah doesnt look the most exciting film, visually looks excellent but sotry wise could be crap, and like charismaslover says, it would be ultimately mauled by the Blade - Trinity
    In the year of our Lord 1314
    patriots of Scotland
    starving and outnumbered
    charged the fields at Bannockburn
    They fought like warrior poets
    They fought like Scotsmen
    And won their freedom