Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Farewell, Mrs Robinson

NOOOOOOOO!

From IMDB:
    Actress Anne Bancroft, who won an Oscar for The Miracle Worker and a place in pop culture history as the seductive Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate, died Monday of cancer; she was 73.
    A fool's hope of The Graduate, Part II dies today.

Rest in peace.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Oh dear; only watched a little bit of 'The Graduate' on TV the other day.

What a shame. RIP.

Credits
    Anne Bancroft died at New York City's Mount Sinai Medical Center on Monday following a battle against uterine cancer. She was 73. The late screen icon won a Best Actress Oscar in 1963 for her portrayal of Helen Keller's teacher in The Miracle Worker, but she will always be most remembered for her role as Mrs. Robinson in 1967's The Graduate. Bancroft was born Anna Maria Louisa Italiano in 1931 to Italian immigrant parents living in New York City's Bronx district, and they recognized their daughter's talent for entertaining before she reached her third birthday. The late actress' movie career began in 1952 when Hollywood studio Twentieth Century Fox gave her a contract and a more screen-friendly name. After a series of unsuccessful low budget movies, Bancroft moved to Broadway and won a Tony for her role opposite Henry Fonda in the play Two For The Seesaw. Bancroft went on to make the lead role in the original stage production of The Miracle Worker her own before returning to Hollywood to resume her big screen career. Following her Academy Awards success in 1963, Bancroft was unsuccessfully nominated on a further four occasions for acclaimed performances in The Pumpkin Eater (1964), The Graduate (1967), The Turning Point (1977) and Agnes Of God (1985). Bancroft wed comedian and The Producers creator Mel Brooks in 1964, and they enjoyed 41 years of marriage and the birth of their son Maximilian in 1972 before her death on Monday.
    i just watched the graduate this past weekend. though, for some reason, i thought she was in a few more movies than what was listed. but i guess that tells you just how popular she was.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear
    though, for some reason, i thought she was in a few more movies than what was listed.
    She definitely was in more than those movies. Besides The Graduate, she was also great in this great film The Slender Thread with Sidney Poitier (which sadly is still not available on DVD - I only watched it on TV some years ago).

One of her last roles was playing Nora Dinsmoor in the Great Expectations remake. Oh and she was the Senator in G.I.Jane.

Just checked IMDB, technically her last appearance in a film was playing Sigourney Weaver's mom in Heartbreakers (which I happened to see it on a plane.)

But to me she is always THE Mrs Robinson.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by editman
    Just checked IMDB, technically her last appearance in a film was playing Sigourney Weaver's mom in Heartbreakers
    Just to correct you, which I hope isn't disrespectful in this kind of thread. But ****SPOILERS**** Anne Bancroft didn't play Weaver's mom in Heartbreakers. The movie is one of my favorites so I know that for sure. She pretended to be some tax person to help Weaver trick Weaver's daughter in the movie. Then it turns out at the end that she was just a friend of hers... who then betrayed her at the end. And the movie ended with Weaver and her boyfriend getting even with her. And that's that.
    It was a great movie. I still laugh every time I watch it.

And I did like her movies too. This is sad news...
    R.I.P.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Thanks, Stef. It's been years since I saw that film so the plot became blur in my head.

I thought the twist at the end was that it is revealed they are all family, but I was wrong and probably got mixed up with Maverick.