Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Summer 2005 a box office bummer!!

from AP News:

Hollywood Uncertain After Summer Bummer

Americans' love affair with movies is far from over. Yet like many relationships, it seems to be suffering from a case of familiarity breeds contempt. Summer 2005 was the worst since 1997 for movie attendance, which dropped sharply and rattled the complacency of studios.

For the 18 weeks from early May through Labor Day, domestic movie grosses are expected to total $3.6 billion, down 9 percent from summer revenues of $3.96 billion last year, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. Attendance figures are even bleaker. Factoring in higher admission prices, the number of movie tickets sold should come in around 562.5 million, down 12 percent from summer 2004.

What went wrong?

"What didn't go wrong? That's the question," said Paul Dergarabedian, Exhibitor Relations president. "This was a summer that really could be characterized as under a cloud from the beginning. Usually, the first weekend in May, you have a big film that kind of kicks off the summer. It didn't happen that way this time, and that was sort of an indicator of things to come."

Some movies did score big, but the overall downturn lingered and then worsened, prompting gloom-and-doom predictions that audiences were growing tired of rising ticket prices, concession stand costs, pre-show advertising and other movie theater hassles.

With so many other entertainment choices video games, limitless TV programming, home-theater setups audiences may be edging away from moviehouses.

In an Associated Press-AOL News poll in June, nearly three-fourths of adults said they would prefer to stay home and watch movies on DVD, videotape or pay-per-view rather than traipse to a theater. Almost half said they think movies are getting worse.

For years, Hollywood has thrived with an if-you-film-it-they-will-come mentality, relying on an assembly line formula of explosive action films, lowbrow comedy and dippy romance.

That approach failed in summer 2005, which had far more flops than usual, among them the action thrillers "Stealth" and "The Island," the comedies "The Honeymooners," "The Bad News Bears" and "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo," and the historical epic "Kingdom of Heaven."

Martin Lawrence could not give tickets away to his basketball comedy "Rebound." Extreme-sports fans who seemed an obvious audience for the skateboarding flick "Lords of Dogtown" failed to show. Family crowds who made Robert Rodriguez's "Spy Kids" movies a success generally passed on his "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D."

Horror remakes once enjoyed a virtual can't-miss record, yet Paris Hilton was unable to pack people in for "House of Wax." Even the man who created the flesh-munching zombie subgenre could not bring in crowds, as "George Romero's Land of the Dead" dug itself an early grave.

Ron Howard reteamed with his "A Beautiful Mind" star Russell Crowe for the class-act of summer. But "Cinderella Man," the uplifting story of Depression-era boxer Jim Braddock, was a box office lightweight despite good reviews.

Summer 2005 did produce its share of big hits, led by "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" at almost $380 million. Films at or near the $200 million mark included "War of the Worlds," "Batman Begins," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Wedding Crashers" and "Madagascar."

There also were a few independent hits, such as the ensemble drama "Crash" and the surprise documentary smash "March of the Penguins."

It's unclear whether such breakout hits or the success of character-driven comedies such as "Wedding Crashers" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" will prompt studio executives to seek fresh ideas, or whether they will fall back on the safe old summer formulas.

"In an ideal world, people would say `OK, we have to think more creatively, we have to think outside the box and come up with new and different things,'" said Steven Friedlander, head of distribution for Warner Independent Pictures, which released "March of the Penguins."

"But I'm afraid what's going to happen is, we're all going to sit in a room and say `We need more penguin movies.'" So I don't really know what lessons we're going to take out of all this."

----

I tell you what's wrong and these are from my personal experience:

the high price of movie tickets;

the cattle mentality of today's multiplex theater: "pack them in tight before the movie starts and herd them out once the credits roll";

the lack of parking space which means prepare to walk a mile from/to your car;

the 15 minutes average of pre-show advertising (well maybe not, some of those trailers are pretty good and it gives you time to use the restroom and get some snacks);

too many people with no movie going manner (i.e. the lady who asks her partner next to her every seconds: "oh what's going to happen?"; "no, don't go there?"; "who is he/she?");

the person who just got to pick up the cell phone in the middle of the movie and start a conversation instead of taking it outside;

the dork who sits behinds you, put his legs up and constantly kicks the back of your seat throughout the movie even after repeated polite requests asking him to stop;

the parents who brings a baby into a movie and won't take him/her outside when he/she starts crying;

underage kids who sneak into a rated R movie then disturbs everybody by talking loudly and laugh and giggle and snicker at everything on the screen;

the dude who has to have a super size drink during the movie and then constantly has to get up and walk past you to go to the restroom;

the moron with the laser pen trying to draw a masterpiece on the screen (here in Houston, Tx, if you are caught with one of those in a movie, you can be fined or even jailed now);

the incompetent projectionist: movies that start out of focus or under the wrong frame or dimly lit exhibitions due to projector bulbs that need to be replaced; when I went to see Star Wars Episode 3, from the last trailer to halfway of the trademark Star Wars opening scrolling text narrative, the frame was out of focus and out of frame. The audience were cursing and booing and nearly started a riot. We were able to get a free pass at the end of the showing but something like that really ruins the experience.

the cute lady wearing a sport bra who sits next to you, for God sake out of an entire theater of 500 seats, and distracts you with her cleavage throughout the whole showing;

the internet: websites like this one allows you to preview an upcoming movie months ahead of its release, dissect it, analyze it and then decide if it's worth seeing or not;

the home: why go out and fight traffic, crowds, high ticket prices, seating when you can rent it on DVD a few month later and play it on your home theater system?

Feel free to add any reasons why you don't go to movies as much as you used to!!

Last edited by j7wild; 09-05-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Credits
    Dude, you really need to put more focus on the movie your going to watch and have a fun time, rather than finding problems around it. It does u no good, but certanly puts u in a worse mood.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    The movies sucked (save for Batman Begins and The 40 Year-Old Virgin).
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    I agree workshed, with a few exceptions this summer just didn't have the great movies that we as consumers have come to expect. As for the gripes, it IS kind of hard to enjoy the movie when you have some idiot kicking the back of your seat constantly (trust me there have been a few times that I have wanted to turn around and slap the ***p out of these types of people!!!).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by stardragon
    As for the gripes, it IS kind of hard to enjoy the movie when you have some idiot kicking the back of your seat constantly (trust me there have been a few times that I have wanted to turn around and slap the ***p out of these types of people!!!).

I totally agree. Most of the time, I give them a death stare. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I curse the hell out of them.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    the lack of parking space which means prepare to walk a mile from/to your car;
    FYI I take public transport to the movies.

the dork who sits behinds you, put his legs up and constantly kicks the back of your seat throughout the movie even after repeated polite requests asking him to stop;
    Excuse me for having long legs.

the dude who has to have a super size drink during the movie and then constantly has to get up and walk past you to go to the restroom;
    Excuse me again for having a Japanese bladder.

the moron with the laser pen trying to draw a masterpiece on the screen (here in Houston, Tx, if you are caught with one of those in a movie, you can be fined or even jailed now);
    People still do that in cinemas!? That went out of fashion, like, 2 years ago.

the cute lady wearing a sport bra who sits next to you, for God sake out of an entire theater of 500 seats, and distracts you with her cleavage throughout the whole showing;
    If what's on screen is not more interesting than the eye-candies in front you DESERVE to be distracted.

the internet: websites like this one allows you to preview an upcoming movie months ahead of its release, dissect it, analyze it and then decide if it's worth seeing or not;
    Well, don't read, watch or listen to any stuff related to the movie on the internet then. If I'm really keen on checking out a title, I will only watch the trailer(s) beforehand. I may DL some clips, but won't watch them until I've seen the actual movie, to be sure they won't spoil it for me - I did so with Sin City, Batman Begins (I even resists watching the 10-minute trailer before going), The Island, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and so on.

Just because so-and-so spams a bunch of low-quality clips, or writes a two-line review praising/bashing the film you've been waiting for all your life to the Forum next door, doesn't mean you HAVE TO DL them, wathc/read them all and believe them all.

the home: why go out and fight traffic, crowds, high ticket prices, seating when you can rent it on DVD a few month later and play it on your home theater system?
    Not if you're living with one of the biggest a**holes in the world, but it's too personal to say anything...

I do agree with Workshed though, I can't recall any film that really interested me throughout the 'summer vacation*' after Batman Begins.

*as for school kids in the Northern Hemisphere. To me it's just July and August.
    Last edited by editman; 09-05-2005 at 08:12 PM.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    You can't tell me the fact that You can just go out to the guy on the cornor and buy the movie that opened yesterday in the theatre on bootleg DVD, doesn't have anything to do with theatre movies losing money.
    It definitely does. People (NOT ALL PPL mind You.) are lazy these days, and if they can watch a movie out right now at home, and not go to the theatre. They will.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    People (NOT ALL PPL mind You.) are lazy these days, and if they can watch a movie out right now at home, and not go to the theatre. They will.
    Not so much a lazy factor, but rather a money factor: you won't believe how many people out there these days who don't mind spending 2 bucks and get a badly-taped bootleg to watch on a tiny TV screen (or even worse: spending nothing but 5 hours DLing a badly-taped bootleg badly encoded in DivX and watch it on their tiny computer monitors) than actually spending 10 bucks seeing the movie on the big screen.

The majority of the movie-going mentality is, sadly, distorted these days. Very few treat the movie-going experience as serious as it was used to be treated back in the good old days when intermission was common thing among major films, or even say 10 years ago before CD burner became affordable.

Nowadays some are even proud of showing off their latest pirated blockbusters among peers - believe me I have to work with lotsa people like this in the real world.

Credits
    Good point Editman. I just just can't agree with the whole bootleg thing. It's not the same as the big screen. I have to go to the movies atleast once a week!
    The ticket prices are getting ridiculous though. But I'll keep paying them, I'm a sucker. I know it.

Credits
    Well it depends where you live I guess. I will list a few activities I like to do with friends and approximate costs.

Movies ~$11

Comedy Club ~$8 to $35 for a really good show

Hockey game at The Garden decent tickets start at ~$65

Hotel Room (limit 1 female friend) cheapest in NYC probably around $120 a night

I don't drive to the movies, I don't buy popcorn, I always go with someone, Movies are damn cheap.

Make better movies.

Credits
    I have a feeling that the real reason for the decline in BO totals is from a lack of good movies. Plain and simple. Of all the movies I’ve seen this summer, there are only a handful that were memorable. Batman Begins and Cinderella Man being the best two with the latter not getting any love at the BO despite it being one of the finest films I’ve seen.

I think cost does factor in. A couple of months ago Famous Players, the largest theatre chain in Canada, lowered ticket prices for all shows down to $9.95 from something like $13.50. A night out at the movies can be very expensive if you add concession to it, especially if you are paying for a date was well.

As some have said already, the select few of the movie going public can make the experience a bad one. Nothing bugs me more than someone kicking my seat for two hours. There are also the talkers, crying babies, cell phones, etc… My solution to this, go to as many late shows in the middle of the week as possible. I work one or two night shifts a week so the mornings I don’t need to get up early, I go to a movie the night before. Sunday nights are usually less crowed. The time that I have a day off during the week I’ll catch a matinee. It makes a difference.

DVDs have also made a huge impact. It doesn’t cost very much to get a player and for a little more you can add a surround sound package. Factor in the dropping prices on big screens and it’s very easy to create your own little movie watching utopia as I’m sure many on this board have. Also most movies are on DVD within 3-6 months of being in the theatre and with Blockbusters no late fees, new releases can be kept for a week at half the price of a ticket at the theatre.

Personally I love going to the theatre but if I didn’t have my Big Card, I wouldn’t be seeing 60% of what I do.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    Bottom line... the reason why Hollywood slumped is because of the crap that they tried to shovel on screen.

Jeez... I remember 10 to 20 years ago... a preview for a movie shows up on TV or in the theater and I was like oh yeah I want to see that one!!! I used to say that for quite a few movies back then... now-a-days a preview pops up and it's more like ehhh... could be good, WTF are they thinking?! or I'll wait til DVD.

The output of Hollywood Movies is based almost solely on guaranteed percentages rather than taking more risks. It's only a machine now... There is no more soul... only the mini morsels of crap that it poots out its arse-end. Then if there is a tasty nugget thats a hit... it takes that nugget and chows it down to squeeze every last bit it can out of it until it too has gone to crap.
    Last edited by bloss; 09-13-2005 at 02:36 AM.