Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

~Women&& Film QUESTIONNAIRE!!

hello , I am currently doing a research on 'women and film'. If you're bored please help me fill in this questionnaire because i REALLY need your answers! As this will help me in my exam. thanks in advance and type away!!

1. how old are you?

2. Gender?

3. In which way do you think films such as Tomb Raider, Scream, Alien, Legally Blonde represent women ?
    please select : Good or Bad

[B4.]Which one of the above do you think the director intended to represent the female subject?[/B]

5. (a)Who is your favourite woman action hero(ine)? Which film does she star in?

(B) why?

6. (A)Who is your favourite MALE action hero? Which film does he star in?
    (B) why?

7. Most female action hero(ines) are shown on screen as objects of desire.
    (The are created to look gorgeous to appeal and satisfy the men)
    Select from : strongly agree,agree,disagree, strongly disagree,i dont know

8. Answer if MALE
    Would you enjoy watchin a film where the female subject was a butch ( masculine) character more than a femme character?
    e.g. Ripley from Alien
    select from : yes, no , i dont know

9. Answer if FEMALE
    The films which involve strong and dominant female characters, are positive to the film industry. they are an inspiration to women, encourages them and gives them sense of empowerment.
    select from: strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree

please please please help me fill in some answers!!! =)

10. Do you think more of these films should be produced?
    yes ? no?

Credits

Lightbulb

1. how old are you?

2. Gender?

Male

3. In which way do you think films such as Tomb Raider, Scream, Alien, Legally Blonde represent women ?

Bad

Notes: This is a hard question. Scream and Legally Blond are radically different movies the Tomb Raider and Alien. Better Choices would be Aeon Flux, Mr.and Mrs. Smith, and Serenity (along with TR and Alien) if talking about female action movies.

4.Which one of the above do you think the director intended to represent the female subject?

Alien

5. (a)Who is your favourite woman action hero(ine)? Which film does she star in?

Gina Torres - Serenity (character of Zoe)

(B) why?

Because she can kick butt in a heart beat, but still retain her femininity. She is the perfect female action star - definitely a woman but not a sex object

6.(A)Who is your favourite MALE action hero? Which film does he star in?

Viggo Mortenson - Movie: Lord of the Rings, Hidalgo, Crimson Tide

(B) why?

I've always prefered characters who don't always know what to do, and sometimes even make the wrong choices. Other examples include Patrick Stewart ("Star Trek: First Contact" only), Tobey Maguire (Spiderman), and Nathan Fillion (Serenity).

agree

8. Answer if MALE
    Would you enjoy watchin a film where the female subject was a butch ( masculine) character more than a femme character?
    e.g. Ripley from Alien

I don't know

Notes: GI Jane is the pinnacle example of a "butch" female character. Ripley in Alien still has quite a bit of femininity. She doesn't get butch till Alien 3.

9. Answer if FEMALE
    The films which involve strong and dominant female characters, are positive to the film industry. they are an inspiration to women, encourages them and gives them sense of empowerment.

yes ? no?

No (I'm assuming this question corresponds to numbers 8 (if male))
    Last edited by Granite; 11-11-2005 at 11:15 AM.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    1. how old are you?

2. Gender?

Male

In bad ways. Lara Croft is only known for her body; in the first Scream, Sidney is the helpless victim victimized by men; in Alien, Ripley is rather incompetitent and looked down on by her male co-workers; Legally Blonde shows that women can become lawyers, but she's not a really respectable one seeing as her major case at the end is really solved by a man (and isn't that difficult of a case).

[B4.]Which one of the above do you think the director intended to represent the female subject?[/b]

I don't understand the question.

5. (a)Who is your favourite woman action hero(ine)? Which film does she star in? (b) Why?

It's hard to say. I like particular women in action roles, but I don't necessarily think of them as action stars. Among the ones I like are Michelle Pfiefer's portrayal of Catwoman in Batman Returns. I can't really think of any others right at the moment. I also liked Vasquez in Aliens.

(B) why?

I'm a big fan of Kurt Russell. He's not a major action star but I do like Escape From New York, The Thing, and Big Trouble In Little China.

Strongly agree. I chose Catwoman, I'm just as guilty.

8. Answer if MALE
    e.g. Ripley from Alien

I wouldn't suggest Ripley from Alien. In the first two films, she isn't very proactive (except towards the last act of Aliens). I would suggest Vasquez from Aliens. She is a very masculine female character. It depends on the story, but a masculine female character isn't a bad thing.

I would select Yes.

9. Answer if FEMALE

Agree.

yes ? no?

Yes.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    1. how old are you?
    2. Gender?
    MALE

Bad...well, in fact I dont think they represent women. They just, most of time, show them to us how we would like to see them in some situations. When theres a space station in danger - there must be some hero to save it...is it woman? Well it just make the story much more atractive. No representing, just storyteling in most interesting ways.
    4.Which one of the above do you think the director intended to represent the female subject?
    none
    Hell, thats hard! It changes quite often...well, lets say...oh yeah- Fione! ------Shrek
    (B) why?
    Shes one character but changes in almost every single scene into most known movie women characters ever! So she´s almost perfect (except being green, I dont like green women )....
    (B) why?

Ian McKellen. LotR trilogy, Gods and Monsters, X-Men
    Why? - Best actor ever! ...(Well he´s not exact action hero, but played in some action movies...so lets keep him here)

strongly agree....movies are made to make us feel better (well, sometimes I dont feel much better when I see some chick I cant get ...lol, just jokin&#180
    8. Answer if MALE
    e.g. Ripley from Alien

Well the easyest answer is I dont know, so - I dont really know.

9. Answer if FEMALE

yes ? no?

Yes, but better made. I dont really like these very much.
    Last edited by st39.6; 11-11-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    Here's another female action heroine...

Marie in High Tension is pretty good. She's tough, resiliant, but still attractive without looking like a whore.

Credits

Lightbulb

Here's my wife answering....

1. how old are you?

2. Gender?

Female

Bad

Legally Blonde

Summer Glau - Character of River Tam in "Serenity"

(B) why?

She is graceful, well spoken, extremely intelligent, and she still has a quality personality

6.(A)Who is your favourite MALE action hero? Which film does he star in?

John Wayne - The Cowboys

(B) why?

He represents men that are more old fashioned. He has honor. He's a strong character, and he loves his wife.

it's pathetic, but strongly agree

8. Answer if MALE
    e.g. Ripley from Alien

9. Answer if FEMALE

The only movies I can think of off the top of my head which involve dominant female characters would be "Lifetime Movies". I sorry but they do not empower, most of the time they do not empower anybody. Most of them are shallow, backstabbing, evil, or both. Big Screen movies on the other hand, tend to portray women as shallow people that need to be taken care of or as objects of male fantasy.

Strongly disagree because most of the time big screen movies give people a wrong sense of what women are.

yes ? no?

no - unless they can come up with a movie that has a strong women character that is not ditzy, stupid, slutty, or screams a lot.

Credits
    1. how old are you?

2. Gender?

Male

Good.

Every one of these movies can be seen as positive or negative.

What people are forgetting, is that most good looking women are seen as weak and helpless (sometimes more so than the average looking ones). Everyone of the movies mentioned have female characters that overcome the stereotypes. The only one that doesn't work as well is Legally Blonde which tries to prove that the ditsy blonde is smarter than she seems, but really doesn't pay off.)

All of the above.

Angelina Jolie. Tomb Raider, Mr and Mrs Smith

(B) why?

She is a strong, beautiful and intelligent woman.

Viggo Mortenson - lotr, hidalgo, a history of violence.

(B) why?

He plays the "regular guy becomes hero" type. Not the "Arnold" type.

agree.
    (I believe this statement is true. But... how many ugly action-star men are there?)

8. Answer if MALE
    e.g. Ripley from Alien

I don't know. If the film was well written and acted, it could work. But most Hollywood movies bank on the stars to sell the films (at the expense of everything else).

9. Answer if FEMALE

yes ? no?

Yes.
    A good looking actress doesn't immediately mean stereotyping.
    A good looking 18 year old actress with an aging 60 year old actor though, we can do without.