Oldfart52 and I got into a sub-discussion in another thread about a free software program which he hadn't heard of that I had tried, and that got me thinking that maybe I wasn't the only one who was interested in free software, and he wasn't the only one looking for free software.

So I thought I would post a list of my favorite free computer software (free being my favorite price). And I was hoping you would list some of your favorites, if you had some.

First off let me say that although I have tried Linux, various things are still holding me to a Windows environment (for now, although Windows XP will be the last version of Windows that I will pay for). So the following programs are all Windows programs, although most of them will work on Linux and/or Mac OSX (and sometimes, on some older versions of Mac).

7-zip - Compress/uncompress utility
Ad-Aware - Adware/spyware remover
Audacity - Audio editor
AVG_Anti-Virus - Anti-virus
Blender - 3D modeling
CDex - CD ripper
Celestia - Space simulator
FileZilla - FTP program
Firefox - Web browser
FoxIt Reader - PDF reader
GAIM - Multi-protocol instant message program
GIMP - Photo editor
Inkscape - Graphics Design
Lincity - City simulator
Nvu - Webpage editor
OpenOffice.org - Office Suite
PDFCreator - PDF writer
Picasa - Photo organizer
ScreenCopy - Screen capture
Scribus - Desktop Publishing
Spybot Search and Destroy - Adware/Spyware remover
Spyware Blaster - Adware/spyware blocker
SuperTux - Run-and-jump game
SWORD - Bible Study
Thunderbird - Email Program
VLCPlayer - Video Player

Maybe you will find something on this list you will find useful, and hopefully you will have something on your list that I (or someone else) will find useful.

And you don't have to stick with free software if you don't want, just please be sure to point out if it isn't free.