Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I will try Linux distributions also, specially Fedora Core since I see that it is published in DVD, then I suppose it have more software.
    Fedora Core doesn't necessarily have more software on the DVD... I was amazed at how much software I had to download after installing the DVD (software that I wanted that apparently wasn't on the DVD). I'm not sure what the deal was.

Of course, I installed Fedora Core 5 shortly before Fedora Core 6 came out, which might have something to do with the amount of software I had to download.

And one thing I found annoying was, even with all of the space on the DVD, it doesn't have a LiveCD version on there, so you can't preview it before installing it.

But Fedora Core 5 doesn't seem to like my computer. I know what needs to be done to fix it (I need to recompile the kernel, since they don't have one for AMD systems that aren't 64-bit), I just don't know how to do it since I have never done it before, and I'm not sure I'm up to doing it yet. And, of course, any time I want to upgrade the kernel, I will have to re-recompile it. To me, at this point that seems like jumping off the high dive shortly after learning to dog paddle.

I may just go back to K/Ubuntu for now, especially since the newest version (6.10 Edgy Eft) was just released last Thursday.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits

Thumbs up Quizzes

Quote Originally Posted by corfy View Post
    I haven't downloaded any until now. I downloaded #3 to test it, and it seemed to work fine for me in OOo Calc. Granted, it was in German, which I don't know, but it seemed to open OK, and it accepted the few movies I tried.

I didn't get any warnings about password protection, but I do get a warning about macros. I told it to disable the macros.
    Thanks Corfy, I gave up after Quiz #2, because of password protection issue but will try #3 in German no less, could be interesting.

Really just want to find out if I'm doing something wrong in setup of open office. Certainly find the Calc part confusing [imo a very poor relation of excel], but this could just be my own ignorance or lack of perseverance .
    "Heart and humour and humility will lighten your heavy load"
    Joni Mitchell

Credits

Thumbs up

This site's a good resource for freeware software.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Certainly find the Calc part confusing [imo a very poor relation of excel], but this could just be my own ignorance or lack of perseverance .
    I have seen a lot of comparisons with OpenOffice.org Calc and Excel 97. The people who compare it favorably argue that most of the features that have been added to Excel since 97 aren't really worth having, and that Excel 97 is one of the best versions of Excel out there. Others use that same comparison to show that Calc is 10 years behind Excel. Personally, I say Calc does everything I want (even if how to do things may be a little different), so I have no problems with it.

But I am a frequent visitor/contributor to www.ooforum.org, and have learned more about Calc (and Writer) than I ever knew previously about Excel (and Word) by going through those forums. They have a frequent spam problem on that forum, but the users are very helpful.

Credits
    Many thanks for this!! I have been looking for some of these programs for quite some time now.

Credits

Smile GNU/Linux

For more about GNU/Linux, please visit this thread

Edit: Also take a look here to know something about WebOS.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-27-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Credits
    PC Magazine just released a list of "The Best Free Software".

What happens when you combine the Internet scouring power of PC Magazine with the experts at Digg, Slashdot and others? You end up with the top 93 best applications on the Net-and they are all free! Check out our picks, along with those from Kevin Rose of Digg and Rob Malda (CmdrTaco) from Slashdot.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2090787,00.asp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123