Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Angry No Baby, No Marriage Law accepted as a proposed BILL in Washington State !!

http://www.wa-doma.org/news/PR20070126.aspx

a proposed Law requiring married couples to procreate?

some couples want to be married but they don't want children!!

how about heterosexual couples that can't procreate and decide they don't want children?

will adoption be allowed?

what about Gay and Lesbian couples?

They cannot procreate but they do have their rights to partnership too!!

This law was passed by narrow minded Anti Abortion, Anti Gay and Lesbian Marriage, Bible Toting Idiots and Bigots!!

Text:

Seattle, WA – The Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance (WA-DOMA) announced on Thursday that their proposed initiative to make procreation a requirement for legal marriage has been accepted by the Secretary of State and assigned the serial number 957. The initiative has been in the planning stages since the Washington Supreme Court ruled last July that the state’s Defense of Marriage Act was constitutional.

“For many years, social conservatives have claimed that marriage exists solely for the purpose of procreation,” said WA-DOMA organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed statement. “The Washington Supreme Court echoed that claim in their lead ruling on Andersen v. King County. The time has come for these conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine. If same-sex couples should be barred from marriage because they can not have children together, it follows that all couples who can not or will not have children together should equally be barred from marriage. And this is what the Defense of Marriage Initiative will do.”

BULLWHIP!!

Mr. Gadow also stated, “Our agenda is to shine a very bright light on the injustice and prejudice that underlie the Andersen decision by giving that decision the full force of law.

j7wild comment: Mr. Gadow, this agenda is Injustice and Prejudice in itself; you and the Washington State Legislature is full of it!!

If passed by Washington voters, I-957 would:

* add the phrase, “who are capable of having children with one another” to the legal definition of marriage;
    * require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
    * require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as “unrecognized;”
    * establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
    * make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.

This initiative is the first of three that WA-DOMA has planned for upcoming years. The other two would prohibit divorce or separation when a married couple has children together, and make having a child together the equivalent of marriage.

j7wild's comment:

I think this is an attempt to OUTLAW and DISCRIMINATE against Gay and Lesbian Marriages and also at the same time, against a Woman's Right to Abortion!!

This is the United States, not some Nazi or Communist Country where they dictate how you should live your life!!

Credits
    This is just a proposed law isn't it, does it realy stand a chance to be approved, cause this is just laughable and hardly democratic. I thought the US was a country that holds democratic values in high regard?
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    It is a pretty silly proposition. We're over-populated enough as it is. No way it ever gets through Congress.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    I would be illegal, then. My wife and I have been married over 9 years and we don't have any children. A couple we are friends with are incapable of having children (the result of a cancer removal surgery she had several years ago). Although they are in the process of adopting a child. Maybe that will work.

This will never get passed, and if it does happen to squeak by, there is no way the courts would uphold this.

EDIT: Just looked through their website, and found this:

The Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance seeks to defend equal marriage in this state by challenging the Washington Supreme Court’s ruling on Andersen v. King County. This decision, given in July 2006, declared that a “legitimate state interest” allows the Legislature to limit marriage to those couples able to have and raise children together. Because of this “legitimate state interest,” it is permissible to bar same-sex couples from legal marriage.

The way we are challenging Andersen is unusual: using the initiative, we are working to put the Court’s ruling into law. We will do this through three initiatives. The first would make procreation a requirement for legal marriage. The second would prohibit divorce or legal separation when there are children. The third would make the act of having a child together the legal equivalent of a marriage ceremony.

Absurd? Very. But there is a rational basis for this absurdity. By floating the initiatives, we hope to prompt discussion about the many misguided assumptions which make up the Andersen ruling. By getting the initiatives passed, we hope the Supreme Court will strike them down as unconstitutional and thus weaken Andersen itself. And at the very least, it should be good fun to see the social conservatives who have long screamed that marriage exists for the sole purpose of procreation be forced to choke on their own rhetoric.
    So basically, they are using reverse psychology to challenge a court ruling.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Yet another reason to become Canadian

Credits
    hmmm... it sounds as if 'married couples' have to have the ability to procreate, not necessarily do so. at least that part would make sense.

my thing is that if these couples procreate, i think they need to be able to pass an exam (similar to an IQ test first)...if they pass, then they can have one kid. each child requires an exam. if they fail, then someone gets his nads in a jar....

i know some of you are laughing but what the heck, if this dumbass law can pass, surely mine can too .....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear View Post
    hmmm... it sounds as if 'married couples' have to have the ability to procreate, not necessarily do so.
    Nope, they are requiring that couples actually do procreate.

(Emphasis Added)

Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    If passed by Washington voters, I-957 would:

* add the phrase, “who are capable of having children with one another” to the legal definition of marriage;
    * require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
    * require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as “unrecognized;”
    * establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
    * make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.