I should have written about this before, but I will do this now.

My sister-in-law is 17 years older than my wife (making my sister-in-law about 50 years old).

As of two years ago, she was still living at home with her parents. She had never had a job, and never bothered to get a driver's license. And while her address is technically a small city in Indiana, she and her parents live about 12 miles outside of town in the country. That is about an hour and a half drive from where my wife and I live... not a terrible drive, but not convenient, either.

Last year my sister-in-law started taking driving lessons and went back for some type of nursing classes, so about the time she got her driver's license, she got a job at a nearby nursing home.

Now, her parents were very happy that she got her driver's license, because they have been going through some health problems recently and neither of them can drive anymore (she is about 76 and has had 3 small strokes in the last year and a half, he is 82 and has had 1 major stroke and some other health problems and can't see very well, and I think they are both now legally blind, which doesn't mean they are completely blind). But my sister-in-law refused to drive them anywhere unless she was already going there anyway. This despite the fact that she was using their car and living in their house rent free. (Fortunately, my parent-in-laws have another daughter and a granddaughter living in the area, and they have been getting rides from them, and my wife has taken time off work to go down and drive them to doctors appointments a couple of times).

After wrecking her parents' car and not telling them for a few days, she moved out of the house and got her own place about July or August last year.

I saw her at Thanksgiving. If I had to swear to it, I would say she wasn't dating at the time, but I may be wrong about that. I certainly never saw or heard of her dating in the 14 years I have known her.

At Christmas, she brought her boyfriend over to meet us. I think her parents had already met him, but my wife and I have not. He seemed like a nice guy. I only talked with him for about an hour or so. Between Christmas and New Years, they got engaged. I had no idea their relationship was that serious. At first they told us the wedding was set for May 17 of this year (which is a Thursday... a strange day for a wedding), but that date was later denied.

On Thursday, March 15, we got a call from my parent-in-laws. My sister-in-laws' wedding was set... for Sunday, March 18 at 1 p.m. (that is 3 days notice, in case you hadn't followed that).

My wife and I already had plans on that day, but we cancelled them so we could go down to the wedding. We got into town at 12:30, a half hour before the wedding was supposed to start.

At that point, we were told that the wedding had changed again. Instead of being 1 p.m. Sunday, the wedding was moved to 8 p.m. the night before (March 17). So we missed the wedding and missed two events that we really needed to be at on Sunday. But at least our sister-in-law is married.

I'd throttle my sister-in-law, but I'll let her new husband deal with her. And by the way, I haven't seen my new brother-in-law since Christmas.