Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Petition for Canadians (or anyone else)

Everything is explained at the link. I think this is a great idea and the least we could do.

http://www.petitiononline.com/401Hero/petition.html
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    I read about this in the paper this morning, Great idea!
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

j7wild Guest
    I am #29587

Credits
    I think its been officially named now.

Credits

Minister backs renaming 401 to honour soldiers

TheStar.com - News - Minister backs renaming 401 to honour soldiers

August 23, 2007

Canadian press

A stretch of Canada's busiest highway is set to be renamed in honour of soldiers who have given their lives in Afghanistan.

"There's no barriers to making this happen," Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said Thursday.

Cansfield said she will meet with Premier Dalton McGuinty on Friday to discuss how soon Highway 401 can adopt the name Highway of Heroes.

"I think when you consider the sacrifice that the soldiers and others have made, it's just a wonderful opportunity for us to reflect on that sacrifice and to be able to acknowledge it," Cansfield said.

"There's no reason not to do it. All we need to do now is get into the process of how quickly we can do it."

The renaming would affect a 170-kilometre stretch of the highway from CFB Trenton – where the bodies of repatriated soldiers arrive – to Toronto, where the remains are examined at a forensics centre.

Overpasses along the route have been the scenes of large, impromptu gatherings of people waving flags, holding placards and saluting the passing convoy.

Cansfield said the call to rename the highway came to her attention when she received word Wednesday of an online petition that has gathered more than 12,000 signatures.
    That was really quick!

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chernabog_ca View Post
    That was really quick!
    if this was in the U.S., there will be months and months of debate and arguments over who is gonna pay to make all the new street signage, etc!!

Credits
    Well there just so happens to be a provincial election this coming October although I would like to think that wouldn't play into this.