Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation ATTENTION All U.S. Residents: the End of Analog TV is NEAR !!

In other countries in Europe and Asia, they been broadcasting in HD for years and their internet bandwidth been faster than anything in the U.S. - don't believe me? Just go to Japan!!

We've always been slow to catch up on some technologies compared to other countries because of Politics, Red Tape, Congressional Lobbyists, Big Corporation Opposition to Progress and other priorities like invading foreign countries, topple their dictatorship government and taking their Oil.

LOL!!

READ THIS IF you want to continue watching TV after Feb. 17th, 2009

Legislation recently passed by Congress lays out plans for the transition from traditional analog TV broadcasting to a new type of broadcasting technology, known as Digital Television or DTV.

By February 17, 2009, all full-power broadcasters will be required to convert all of their programming to DTV and will no longer broadcast analog signals. As a result, to receive TV programming, some consumers will need to make changes in some of the equipment they currently use.

It's important to understand that this change applies only to over-the-air television broadcasting. If you receive most or all of your current TV programming via cable or satellite services, you won't be required to make equipment changes. However, since DTV offers a dramatically improved viewing experience, even cable and satellite subscribers may consider upgrading their present equipment to enjoy all the benefits of this new technology.

If you're currently using an analog TV set with an antenna (either rooftop or "rabbit ears") to receive over-the-air programming, don't be alarmed. A simple set-top converter box will be all you need to convert digital broadcast signals into a format your TV can display.

These converter boxes will become readily available as the deadline approaches, and electronic coupons worth $40 toward the purchase of a converter box will be made available to consumers (2 coupons per household) to help subsidize their purchase.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx

If you decide to upgrade to DTV, be aware there is a difference between DTV and High-Definition TV (HDTV). Not all digital TVs are High-Definition TVs. HDTV refers only to the highest-quality forms of digital broadcast. Some lower-priced digital TVs can receive all types of DTV programming, but are unable to display high-definition signals in their full glory.

So my recommendations are:

OPTION 1: GOOD

If you currently still using a Rabbit Ear or Rooftop Antenna and you are only receiving Over The Air Broadcast (no cable or satellite channels) on you ANALOG TV Set, get one of those Converter Box (Appx. $60 each before using the $40 coupon) and you are all set!!

OPTION 2: BETTER

Same as Option 1 except instead of buying a Converter Box, sign up for TV Service such as NON-HD Cable TV or Satellite like Dish Network and you will still be able to use and keep your ANALOG TV.

OPTION 3: BEST

Buy a HD TV, 19-20 inch HD Models start as low as $350 now;

http://www.nextag.com/Toshiba-20HL86...98/prices-html
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610938710

sign up for HD TV Service like Direct TV or Digital Cable and you will get all your formerly over the air channels in HD and also the subscriber's channels in HD!!

Are you ready for the DTV transition?

Find out by taking the quiz below!

http://www.dtvtransition.org/index.p...d=26&Itemid=39

DTV FAQ here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

Read but don't buy your HD TV from Best Buy!!

Credits
    In other countries in Europe and Asia, they been broadcasting in HD for years
    - not really. Yea, in Japan for sure. Heck, they´re already testing SuperHD or how the hell do they call it, I think they have experimantal broadcast in 4K and 3D already there. But in Europe? Yeah, there are some channels in HD, but they aint doin well. I think american broadcast is much more HD-spread in this case...
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    Actually, I heard that if you have analog cable, then you may still need a converter box. I don't know if that is true or not, or maybe it just applies to certain cable companies.

My wife and I are thinking of buying a 26" HDTV relatively soon, so we should be ready from that standpoint (our 19" analog TV is showing it's age and has been for a while... I just figured if we held off getting a new TV, then the cost would drop somewhat). Not sure yet whether we will upgrade to digital cable or not. That is a considerable jump in cost per month from what we are paying now with our analog cable signal. We weren't very happy with DirecTV when we had it, although we may consider DishNetwork.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    In other countries in Europe and Asia, they been broadcasting in HD for years and their internet bandwidth been faster than anything in the U.S. - don't believe me? Just go to Japan!!
    Japan is not in Europe. :-\

The best connection I can get at my current house is 2MB broadband and we are still running on Analogue TV. (granted its getting changed to digital in my area at the end of this year but the whole of the UK wont be done untill 2012)

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

[B]In other countries in Europe and Asia, they been broadcasting in HD for years and their internet bandwidth been faster than anything in the U.S. - don't believe me? Just go to Japan!!
    Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post
    Japan is not in Europe. :-\
    I said in Europe and Asia and Japan is in Asia!!

Credits
    I said in Europe and Asia and Japan is in Asia!!

I'm just saying because nearly everything in Japan is so far ahead of everywhere else. You cant really use it as a generalisation of 2 major areas.

Credits
    My wife and I officially jumped into the digital age by purchasing a 32" plasma TV this evening (or rather, yesterday evening, since it is after midnight here).

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=58

I'm glad I was able to talk my wife into the 32" inch rather than the 26" that we had been looking at. Granted, an even larger TV would have been nice, but we had our budget to worry about, too.

j7wild Guest
    well, American M-L Members:

are you ready?

unless Congress passes a bill delaying the digital transition to Mid/Late June, February 17th is only one month away.

You either need to sign up for cable tv, direct tv, satellite tv, HD tv service or get a digital converter box to receive tv signal on your tv.

Credits
    I'm sure Kurt Russell is ready, for the others I don't know... (bad monday morning joke)

Credits
    Option 4 : don't give a crap about the TV situation and stop watching TV.

the few shows I do watch (Dexter, True Blood, Clonewars) - I can find online. the best use my TV gets is a plant stand...
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

j7wild Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post

the few shows I do watch (Dexter, True Blood, Clonewars) - I can find online. the best use my TV gets is a plant stand...
    how are you able to watch the Superbowl LIVE without a TV?

Credits
    how are you able to watch the Superbowl LIVE without a TV?

i don't watch sports. couldn't care less about a group of overpaid idiots strung out on steroids beating on each other.

j7wild Guest

Red face

i don't watch sports. couldn't care less about a group of overpaid idiots strung out on steroids beating on each other.

oh....

Credits

Actually, I can relate with Redbear, no lies, I have not watched commercial TV since 911, and that was only to see the latest news on CNN. There is nothing out there that appeals to me, or that I cannot get on DVD. I do have cable, and plan on keeping it "in case of", but that is the extent of it.
    People look at you strange when you tell them that you dont watch TV, but I have better things to do than watch a 10 minute useless program with 20 minutes of advert filler.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest
    I watch more commercial TV than anything and we do have AT&T HD Uverse in the house with the NFL package.

I watch 24, Gossip Girl, CSI, CSI Miami, Smallville, The Unit, Cold Case, Law and Order SVU, Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles, NCIS religiously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast