Thanks Thanks:  1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

j7wild Guest
    Dear Mr. Deangelis:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 968, the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (the PROTECT IP Act, or PIPA). The parallel, but not identical, legislation in the House of Representatives is H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). I welcome your thoughts and comments.

I did not cosponsor this legislation. By letter, e-mail, and telephone call, thousands of constituents like you have highlighted the potential pitfalls in the bill.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who was a strong supporter of PIPA, has withdrawn the bill from Senate floor consideration. I agree with this decision. Although there are legitimate issues to be addressed regarding so-called internet piracy, I believe that several provisions of the current legislation need to be clarified or revised.

Protecting intellectual property is more challenging than ever before. For example, high speed broadband enables access to the entire catalog of movies, music, books, television, and technology. These protections should not censor free speech, nor should they hinder innovation.

Online promotion of counterfeit goods by foreign entities is also a growing concern. Assessing how to protect copyright, patent, and intellectual property rights — and doing so without infringing on consumers’ legitimate interests — requires dealing with a complex series of problems.

Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should this bill or related legislation be reported to the floor for action by the full Senate. I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    202-224-5922 (tel)
    202-224-0776 (fax)
    http://hutchison.senate.gov

Credits
    I had contacted my senators and congressional representative (for the international folks - every US state has two senators, and everybody lives in a district of US House of Representatives).

Turns out California's senators were co-sponsers of the bill. They both recieved massive campaign contributions from the entertainment industry. Luckily though, one senator had strong connections to Silicon Valley, and agreed to meet with reps from facebook and google.

Everything surrounding the laws postponement does prove that democracy works, but people have to speak loudly enough and in one voice.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar