Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Unhappy "Gangs" is a bomb in b/o

Friday Box Office estimates:

1 THE TWO TOWERS 19,707,000
    2 TWO WEEKS NOTICE 4,664,000
    3 MAID IN MANHATTAN 3,280,500
    4 GANGS OF NEW YORK 2,872,500

This is really stupid marketing. Dumped into 1500 theatres, and this is the result, a paltry opening that looks to be under $10 million, and beaten out by a Hugh Grant film. This had better get a shitload of Oscar nominations if they want to stand a chance at making some money back.

5 DRUMLINE 20TH CENTURY FOX 1,837 2,179,000

And when Gangs barely beat THIS in its second weekend, you know something is really, really wrong.

6 WILD THORNBERRY'S MOVIE 1,677,000

Enough Nikelodeon movies! LOL

7 HOT CHICK, THE 1,479,500

Hot **** LOL

8 STAR TREK: NEMESIS PARAMOUNT 1,475,000

2nd to 8th? I guess this is the final voyage then.

9 DIE ANOTHER DAY 1,037,500
    10 HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS 903,000

Credits

Talking

Well They did open on a dumb weekend.

Next year when Return of the King comes out, I don't think that any movie will open for like 2 weeks.

Credits
    wasent this move delayed too? so why put it up against TTT? thats just plain dumb
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Originally posted by Gaumont
    wasent this move delayed too? so why put it up against TTT? thats just plain dumb
    the movie had to be released in time for the oscars, and there weren't any other slots open in december, according to scorsese.

Credits
    well, bad decision nevertheless... hehehe...

Credits
    i wouldnt call it a bomb... yet. it still has one more week in my eyes. we'll see how it holds up, i think that the sedcnd week takings are always important for movies like this, it shows its staying power. I dont think its fair to call it a bomb just yet, but pretty soon, it's probably inevitable.
    "I mock you with my monkey pants."

Credits
    Originally posted by doritosTna88
    i wouldnt call it a bomb... yet. it still has one more week in my eyes. we'll see how it holds up, i think that the sedcnd week takings are always important for movies like this, it shows its staying power. I dont think its fair to call it a bomb just yet, but pretty soon, it's probably inevitable.
    it's expected to take in about $10 million over the weekend, i suspect it'll make about half of it's budget back in total, it might do better if it's rereleased after the oscar nominees are announced.

Credits

Unhappy

$9,121,000 in first weekend is not good for a $100M film. It's not crap like Pluto Nash to be flopped like this.

Credits
    They should've released this Nov. 1st, IMHO. I saw it this weekend all the same, and it's the best film I've seen all year, bar none. Granted, there are 2 more movies coming out that I haven't seen(Chicago and Adaptation), but Gangs is the best of year so far. The fact that it got a nice 6,000 PSA should help it's BO once it expands a little more.

And speaking of TTT, was I the only one who found it to be a very boring movie with a couple great scenes? That mother dragged out way too long. 2hr40 of jerky, cross-cut heavy talking cannot be ignored after a half hour of crazy action bliss.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Wink

May be "Gangs" flopped because the cultural level of current Americans is just too low to appreciate anything dealing with history? It's likely in this day and age that even the "Godfather" would have been a failure.

Credits
    9.4 according to final numbers. Better than I thought it would be after I saw Friday's low take. On Christmas, however, its getting like 400 or so more screenings.

His other movie, Catch Me if You Can, might interfere though as it opens on Christmas.
    Whatcha Gonna Do!?

Credits
    Originally posted by blugh
    And speaking of TTT, was I the only one who found it to be a very boring movie with a couple great scenes? That mother dragged out way too long. 2hr40 of jerky, cross-cut heavy talking cannot be ignored after a half hour of crazy action bliss.
    You're kidding, right? That's what you call plot and character development and depth... something that your precious (seems like your the type that would like it) Episode II didn't have. This is an adventure/fantasy movie not an action movie... go watch Ecks vs. Sever you're done.

Credits
    No, I'm not kidding. I think there could have been. I can totally appreciate a good plot, strong character development, and the like, but for the better part of TTT(the adventures of Aragorn & Co.), it just didn't go anywhere for me. Perhaps I'm alone in saying this, but Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are the same people at the end that they were at the beginning. Those three don't really develop as characters at all. Theoden gets better at the hand of the bleached Gandalf(jokes, guys, jokes...), they run away to Helm's Deep, fight, and that's it. Gollum/Frodo's sidestory is great, and Merry and Pippin's is fun too, but the majority of the mopvie focusses on Aragorn & Co., and I think it drags. It probably would have worked far better if they split the movie as they did in the book, but the heavy cross-cutting exorcised much of the momentum that kept Fellowship going so strong.

Credits
    Originally posted by blugh
    No, I'm not kidding. I think there could have been. I can totally appreciate a good plot, strong character development, and the like, but for the better part of TTT(the adventures of Aragorn & Co.), it just didn't go anywhere for me. Perhaps I'm alone in saying this, but Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are the same people at the end that they were at the beginning. Those three don't really develop as characters at all. Theoden gets better at the hand of the bleached Gandalf(jokes, guys, jokes...), they run away to Helm's Deep, fight, and that's it. Gollum/Frodo's sidestory is great, and Merry and Pippin's is fun too, but the majority of the mopvie focusses on Aragorn & Co., and I think it drags. It probably would have worked far better if they split the movie as they did in the book, but the heavy cross-cutting exorcised much of the momentum that kept Fellowship going so strong.
    exactly !!!!

This movie and the 1st movie have the same length, however TTT seemed to be loooooooonger or sloooow...

and the ending is soooooo hanging. I know this movie series has to be seen as a whole from 3 parts, but at least make each movie stand up for it self...
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Oh, you didn't like the ending? Personally, I think it should have been more of a cliffhanger. If it ended with Frodo and Sam in Shelob's lair... we hear the clicking of her feet, a screech, Frodo and Sam whip around to the camera and cut.

That would be a good ending.