Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 12th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we may finally get toast from toasters, season four of Battlestar Galactica...

Since this is the first PT on the new schedule, decided to do a two-fer; both half seasons of the final run of the Ronald D. Moore "BSG" reboot.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0" was released on home video on January 6th, 2009.

It streeted against "Babylon A.D", Mannix: The Second Season" and "Pineapple Express".

Unknown if the regular edition had an insert.

- - -

There were three exclusives all from Best Buy...

Limited edition gift set (eight per store), $39.99. It came with a pair of dog tags (Captain Kara Thrace; metal, not plastic), a freebee, not a real exclusive. Tags normally retail for $19.99 in '09.

Plus a thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcase/box (embossed).

The booklet's first four pages sums up what came before season 4, the rest is character profiles.

Other exclusive is long gone (link has expired), I downloaded off their website (MP4s). The store had two deleted scenes NOT included in any box set. These axed moments were from the episodes "Faith" (May 9th, 2008) and "Six Of One" (April 11th, 2008).

Eight per store - gone in less than thirty minutes. Got there on release day at 10:13 AM. There were three copies present, then two.

I was expecting to find on the 'new release' table (remember?). Nope. Then I looked in the television section - of course not. Then on the end of the isles with more new releases. No. Finally saw a cardboard stand, holding various titles and said three copies; lucky to have mine.

*sigh* Many found the slipcase a disappointment. Image above does not express it well. You have to be extra careful not to damage the box. The booklet and tags fit inside, but even when they're inside, they don't fill available space. The cardboard on the dog tags' blister pack, isn't DVD case size.

The thin cases kinda slump over. You can easily squeeze a dent by grabbing the box wrong.

There is a semi-solution...

A fellow named "JSwarce" (from "DVD Talk Forum") fell upon the idea of removing the bonuses for Battlestar Galactica: Razor (previous Past Tense) - it fit the gap; if you bought the DVD release for "Razor" (including its slipcover).

The box becomes solid. Good I suppose, but I think it was accidental. I'll explain in a few. Opted not to do that, so I have the tags (not opened, sealed) and booklet inside.

The last exclusive is from Canada; Future Shop - which was the sister company of Best Buy; a steel book case.

Sorry, I don't have that release week price.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5" was released on home video on July 28th, 2009.

It streeted against "Charles In Charge: Season 5", "The Middleman: The Complete Series" and "Repulsion".

There was an insert; one side, an ad for the then upcoming Sci-Fi Channel series "Caprica". The other side is an ad for Sci-Fi/Universal DVD box sets; "Heroes: Season 2", "Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0", "Eureka: Season 2", "The Incredible Hulk: Season 5" "Bionic Woman: Volume One" (2007 reimagined series; while it reads V1, there was never a second installment, the DVD has all eight episodes) and "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series".

- - -

There was only one exclusive from Best Buy, a similar limited edition gift set - sold for $39.99.

This too came with a pair of dog tags (Admiral William Adama; once again metal) and thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcase/box (embossed).

As with the last, booklet's first four pages sums up what came before (season 4.5), the rest is additional character profiles.

All rather slick looking both booklets.

Did not have the problem I did for 4.0 when bought.

The box... same design, same size void. This could be a design feature to incorporate the then later release, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan". Nope. DVD won't fit inside, too thick - you're not taking one of the slim cases out. This is why believe the DVD placement was just a coincidence in 4.0.

Both box sets could be placed side-by-side for one image, the image on top of this post, which is cute, but impractical. Each box has ten episodes. Same deal here, dog tags are still sealed.

Don't know if Future Shop released a steel book case for 4.5. Sorry.

Above is the individual covers for seasons 4.0 and 4.5. Yes, it does look like Apollo is staring at Starbuck's breasts. Or maybe looking for a better ending...

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Love the show, don't get me wrong. But the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I would recommend, but give a warning about the conclusion. Here's a good quote that encapsulates my feelings.... (spoilers)

Completely insane element: Flash forward 150,000 years (which is even further than the flashforward at the end of A.I. - one of the most absurd endings of all time. Well done, BSG!). We learn from angel Baltar/angel 6 who that little Hera's bones have been found in an excavation in Africa. Along with her human father and Cylon mother. A little girl. A LITTLE GIRL??? Okaaaaay... so that means Hera dies. Like, really young. Like, as a child. Like, really soon after we last see her. So, basically, could someone explain WHAT THE FU˘K WAS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT HERA IF SHE DIED MONTHS AFTER REACHING NEW EARTH!!! Seriously, was God's plan for Hera to appear on the cover of National Geographic? Was that it? And doesn't Hera invalidate evolution? I mean, she represents a human being that is out of time by at least 145,000 years. I mean, seriously - humans haven't even developed LANGUAGE. We're pretty far back in the human chain of existence. And now scientists are looking at a modern homo sapian girl. Wow. Thank you God for totally fu˘king the theory of evolution. Maybe that WAS God's plan. Maybe that's the ultimate message. God exists. Evolution is bullshit. But I kinda doubt it. This was a disaster of a season. A total trainwreck of an ending with no comprehension of the material. I mean, there's sh!t that just was a complete "fu˘k you" to logic and storytelling.
    - Karterhol

Indeed!

There is a long winded pontification by a fellow fan, named Brad. He breaks down the finale ("Daybreak") like his bitch and makes it eat from the doggie bowl. It's huge and worth the read. Click and understand. Checked, the link is still alive.

Moore made such a big deal that the entire series was mapped. We would get a satisfying conclusion. Then later after the finale aired, he said he had trouble coming up with an ending. Dude, you lied. You had six months plus in between filming 4.0 and 4.5 since Sci-Fi decided on ten episode seasons. But that's another rant; it's their highest rated show and they didn't want to pay for season four (almost didn't happen).

The BSG universe appears to be dead.

I liked "Caprica", the final episodes kicked ass. It has some good company; the final episodes of "SeaQuest DSV" were good. Good. They finally found their legs, the show now had a direction, new Cold War. The same can be said for "Star Trek: Enterprise". This was the stuff they should've been doing from the pilot on forward. Canceled.

Yes, SyFy (God name still bugs me) had "Battlestar Galactica: Blood And Chrome" (2012) which told of the last Cyclon War with a young Bill Adama. But that became a one shot program and they redesigned the older Cylons, broke continuity. I still liked it though.

- - -

Courtesy notice.

If you bought that BSG mega box set, you didn't get all the extras; not talking about the above mentioned internet deleted scenes.

I'm talking about the mini-series.

Came to DVD on December 28th, 2004 - has deleted scenes which didn't carry over to the mega set OR season one box. If want them, you need that mini-series, doesn't matter which pressing; first came as a two disc set and later, single double-sided disc.

Plus the mini-series is on a single side on disc one in the boxes, three hours compressed. Better overall quality on the separate release(s).

Indeed. Come back here on April 28th, 2016 for old timey booze and some floozies - well more like one.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-29-2019 at 07:36 AM.