Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - The Apocalypse Will Be Televised Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 9th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

I don't know about God or Heaven. But I do believe, someone or something wants this world to burn.
    - S. Connor.

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - The Complete First Season" was released on home video on August 19th, 2008.

It streeted against "Married... With Children: The Complete Ninth Season", "Restraint", "Justice League Of America: Season One" and "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. There was a single insert, three page folding booklet; episode guide - with air dates and extras listing. This season set came in a transparent DVD case, holding the three discs.

The artwork inside is a close-up of Cameron's face on a Terminator's endoskeleton.

- - -

There was a single exclusive; from Best Buy, a steelbook case. This was available for DVD only for $22.99

Looking back on my records, availability was random; some stores got four, others got twenty plus. I didn't have any problem getting my copy.

It's a double edge sword - while I like having the exclusive, I don't want to damage it by usage. So in May of 2013, I decided to rebuy season one, regular edition.

Above is the cover. Found at Wal-Mart on sale for ten bucks - with slipcover. I'm happy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

As mentioned in the last PT; May - I'm covering additional Terminator exclusives.

That promotional image used on top was my favorite. Fox did several promos picture. I still feel that, it should've been the DVD cover.

First off, if you're concerned that a show based on the films would be crap.

Don't.

The series was faithful to the movies; the first two. The show uses time travel to skip over the events in "Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines" (2003) and ignores the events in "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins" (2009) - which I'm glad.

The jump is from 1999 to 2007. There is a reference to T3, Sarah getting cancer and dying from it. This becomes a running sub-plot for the length of the show. We are given two possible causes, but no definite answer. In fact, this new timeline, she may not develop it at all. She may have jump over the cause or because it's on her radar she's catch it in time.

Like many, this is a sad favorite. The show ended on a major cliffhanger that would've been a game changer. The future is not set, literally. Not going to spoil - watch the show, you'll love it.

Casting is everything.

And the title character was damn solid, Lena Headey made an excellent Sarah Connor. I don't believe anybody disagrees. Strong and quite capable woman with the weight of the world on her shoulders. She has to keep her son safe and ready for Judgment Day. Too much is at stake for her to fail. And a bad ass, but never over the top - all quite reality based.

Sarah is human and an attractive woman, but never played for sexy.

Now she's best known as Cersei Lannister on HBO's "Game Of Thrones". I first saw her in the horror film "The Cave" (2005). She played Dr. Katheryn Jannings. It's a decent flick, own the DVD. But will be remembered for its trailer.

The theatrical trailer GAVE ALL the plot points - it spoiled the twist ending. *shakes head*

I want to see her film "The Red Baron" (2008), need to buy that. It's on my list. A biopic on the famous/infamous German WWI fighter pilot Manfred von Richthofen (played by Matthias Schweighöfer). And I'm curious about "The Broken" (2008); evil doppelgangers from a broken mirror. Man, that can ruin an afternoon. I did like her role as Madeline Madrigal in "Dredd" (2012). Such an evil and cruel villain.

As with Headey, nobody moans about casting Summer Glau as Cameron the robotic Protector. Sci-fi fans best know her as River Tam from the former Fox, series "Firefly" (2002) and its theatrical sequel, "Serenity" (2005). The name given when first introduced to her is Cameron Phillips. But that was for infiltration.

The girl is a former ballerina and knows kinetics. Don't mock, motion is an art; subtle and the overt. Glau is good at her craft. This is one of the few times when a petite woman kicking ass wasn't a trope. She's a machine and the perceived limitations of the flesh do not apply to Cameron.

And yes, she was named after James Cameron, director of "The Terminator" (1984). She is a newer model of assassin, TOK-715 (that ID by the way is in fanboy depute).

Something I didn't know until researching; 715 could very well be a Biblical verse from the New Testament...

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
    - Matthew 7:15

She is just one switch away from murdering everybody. And in one episode, it nearly happens.

Cameron is different from other Terminator since it can mimic human mannerisms better than the T-800 models could and can consume small amounts of food, a first for Terminators.

Glau was a genre girl; TV shows and movies. "Knights Of Badassdom" (2013) was a fun flick. I am kinda curious to see "The Initiation Of Sarah" remake (2006). The reason why she's not on screen today is she's opted to be a full time mom; two daughters.

Thomas Dekker was a capable John Connor. I'll get into a character controversy in a few. I am so glad at the change made prior to broadcast. The pilot episode had reshoots due to a real life tragedy, later too. The original portrayal of John was much softer - as in wimpy.

After the school shoot out, John tearfully pleads to his mom that he's unfit to lead an army - Sarah promises to take care of it. The aired version has an introspected John asking for his mother's help to end the war. Slowly becoming the man the world needs him to be. That was the better direction.

The biggest casting decision for me was Brian Austin Green as Derek Reese, the brother of Kyle. Look, I'll be honest, up until that point I always thought of him as the wanna-be rapper David Silver from the former Fox show, "Beverly Hills 90210" (1990 - 2000). I'm not the only one.

Holy crap, that's little Silver? Well he grew up. And the actor is married to Megan Fox; they have two kids together. He has another child with actress Vanessa Marcil.

Green as Derek, like the rest of the cast was good choice. He was more of a guest star in season one, which made little sense considering how much screen time he had. Green was bumped to series regular for season two.

The image above made me smile. Derek takes John to the park on his birthday and get popsicles. A bonding moment, but not for that. Sarah was kinda busy and forgot. He took him to the park was for a reason; John meets his dad as a toddler. Child Derek playing catch with his baby brother, Kyle. That was sweet and haunting.

I'll stop here since they are the main characters. And I have more to cover.

- - -

The gun battle in the season finale was excellent - how it was shown. They didn't have the budget for such an ending. So it was done stylistic. FBI Agent James Ellison (Richard T. Jones) with bureau HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) prepare to arrest Cromartie (Garret Dillahunt); a Terminator posing as FBI agent, Robert Kester.

A major fire fight happens, but none of it is shown.

We see the action from below - from underwater, inside the motel's swimming pool. Bloody bodies of FBI men falling in and dying in the water; until all the muffled gun blasts and screams cease. It was so simple, damn effective; your imagination fills in the gap.

Hats off to the production. Well done!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.