Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Wal-Mart - August 25th, 2015

The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season
    Exclusive Daryl Funko figure; DVD $34.98 [did not see any BDs, but I could have missed it]

There was a second exclusive; sheriff badge on DVD pre-order, same price. I didn't see this, but I wasn't searching. Just a casual look.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:34 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 1st, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Exclusive comic book; BD only $22.99

Scorpion: The Complete First Season
    * Exclusive (something, can't read it); DVD $27.99

Madam Secretary: Season One
    * Exclusive bonus disc; DVD $27.99

Updated 9/30/15
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-30-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Credits
    Here I am, still the same; nothing's changed.
    - Joydrop

Welcome to the restart; we kick off the re-launch of "Past Tense" with the second entry. The first PT was for "MTV's Laguna Beach: The Complete First Season/The Complete Second Season" (August 18th, 2011; JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum).

Why?

I was still making up the rules and format as I went.

This was at the early point of my web media resources; database was still a seed, needed more growth. As a result this entry was incorrect. There were many exclusives to those seasons from Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target as well as from MTV itself. Since then I've collected nearly all, but one of the bonus discs. *shrugs* I'm still working on it.

Anyhow, this and the upcoming PT posts were altered to reflect the present. As a result, some of them are shorter, much shorter than originally. I will write new material for them.

Often I would take note about then upcoming... things. These have come to pass and were digested by the masses; no point to include them. Others were simply incorporated into the main body - applicable matters.

This started as easy posts that grew into whole essays.

What I'm trying to do is set them in relative synch - as they were the first time around. So for a few months this is going to be weekly, then shift into bi-weekly postings. I have enough materials for three years and in this time I'll work on newer entries for that point - should I get that far.

Why all this? What's the point? Good questions.

This is my creative outlet - keeps me in motion; hopefully you'll understand. It's okay if you don't.

In short, I need this more than I need you to read it.

By the way, don't forget folks, August is National Anal Sex Month which fits nicely with this entry; the S&M demeanor.

This entry originally was posted on August 25th, 2011.

One last thing; none of these items are for sale. I'm a collector and for some I paid in pain. But those are tales for another day. And all of these images have in some fashion been altered; repaired ('70s Wonder Woman pix *shutter*), color fixed, leveled and beyond.

Just discovered that the post limit is 10,000 characters. My old spot was 20k; this is gonna be interesting.

Two parts it is...

Past Tense - S&M Spy Part I

Today we get all spied-up and become morally ambiguous with "MTV's Ĉon Flux"...

"MTV's Ĉon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection" was released on home video on November 22nd, 2005.

It streeted against "Alien Vs. Predator: The Unrated Edition", "King Kong: Two-Disc Collector's Edition" (1933) and "War Of The Worlds: Widescreen Two-Disc Limited Edition" (2005).

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover. The three disc came inside seperate digipaks. There was one insert. Side A was a production note from series creator Peter Chung. It detailed the changes made for the remastering; select dialog re-recorded by stars (voice actors Denise Poirier and John Lee) for better series continuity, voice replacement for the character Clavius (it's now Bruce Willis, uncredited) and CGI elements added for shadows, blurs and various glows. As well as timing errors corrected among other revisions.

The other side featured ads for various MTV products; "Ĉon Flux: The Game", "Ĉon Flux: The Herodotus File" book, "Jackass: The Box Set" and "Beavis And Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection - Volume 1".

- - -

There were two exclusives, plus one.

Former retail giant Circuit City sold the box set on street for $27.99; it came with a bonus DVD.

A sampler disc (in a CD envelope) showcasing select shorts from the MTV series that it originated from - "Liquid Television" (1991 - 1994). The shorts (totaling 17:20 minutes); "Uncle Louie's Date", "I Am Normal", "Genie Junkie", "The Block Heads", "Winter Steele" ("Ball Of Communion" episode), "Fred Dharma: Psychedelic Detective" and various tiny bits.

There is no menu screen, just plays.

This offering was limited to five per store. I'm lucky to have mine. *nods*

Best Buy had their own exclusive, a CD sampler of the score (in a printed cardboard sleeve); sold for $26.99.

This sampler is the ONLY official soundtrack to the series.

The eighteen tracks features seven sound bytes from the show.

There is a soundtrack story to tell, but I'll get to that in a few.

Continuing...

Months after the "Complete Animated Collection" release, Wal-Mart had a bonus DVD for the then streeted "Ĉon Flux" live action film, April 25th, 2006.

It was a sampler for complete series with a run time of twenty-three minutes; three of the shorts from the "Liquid Television" days and trailer for the box set. This exclusive set retailed for $19.49.

This bonus came in a standard DVD case with artwork, but was only available with the Full Screen editions of the movie though.

A somewhat common practice by the store at that time. I bought mine, kept the bonus and sold the copy on Ebay.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:18 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - S&M Spy Part II

Rant.

Since we've talked about it a moment ago. The "Ĉon Flux" movie (2005); bought the DVD on street ( April 25th, 2006), didn't see at the theaters. It has grown on me these past years. The screenplay by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi is inventive, but seriously should NOT have been called "Ĉon Flux".

You don't want the side effects, you want a dot com.
    - Zeromancer

As you can see from the top of this PT, that's the iconic costume worn by Ĉon. Granted for actress Charlize Theron, she doesn't have the attributes to fill out that outfit (that's not a knock on her, she's an attractive woman).

This is the same way, you don't cast Natalie Portman as a live action Jessica Rabbit. She's not for that role. Above you see the costume used for the character, it's not even close to the series outfit.

Then you have Trevor Goodchild played by Marton Csokas, he's not the charismatic amoralist you've come to know from the series. He's played like a stereotypical bad guy. *sigh* Might as well be twirling a mustache.

The same thing happened to "Resident Evil" (2002). The film is so removed from the original concept, it's in name only. If they wanted to do a real adaptation they should've just gone with the novelization by S.D. Perry (published in 1998 by Pocket Books). It took the video game, that's not so linear and made it a sequential story - pretty damn good too.

There are seven books ("The Umbrella Conspiracy" 1998, "Caliban Cove" 1998, "City Of The Dead" 1999, "Underworld" 1999, "Nemesis" 2000, "Code Veronica" 2001 and "Zero Hour" 2004) by her (Stephani Danelle; S.D.) that could be turned into movies, faithful motion pictures.

Anyhow, the Paul W.S. Anderson, written/directed feature has definitely grown on me - one of my favorites and I do enjoy the "Resident Evil" franchise for what it is (I own all the DVDs). But just like "Ĉon Flux" it should not have that moniker, give it a different name.

But I guess the prefect example is the travesty that was "World War Z" (2013). The movie has next to nothing to do with the book it's based on. Which is considered by most fans of the genre the 'definitive zombie' novel. That saddens me to this day. A proper adaptation isn't happening anytime soon.

Minus the excellent book on CD release, not someone just reading the book to you. It's a full scale audio production with cornucopia of Hollywood actors reading various characters, like the golden age of radio - an audio play. Do seek it out, won't be disappointed.

Sorry.

The movie has many flaws. The end result was decent-ish, but really just an echo of the source - which at times was bleak, there was no good or bad, just a lighter shade of grey. And animated episodes ended quite somber; good people were pawns and suffered greatly.

I will say, the soundtrack was excellent, composer Graeme Revell did his best to mimic the flavor of the show... he succeeded! It fits right in the world of the MTV series. Good stuff.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

In 1997 composer, Drew Neumann wanted to release series music for anime fans. He asked permission from the show's architect, Peter Chung. He said yes, then Neumann got cock blocked by MTV. The record label, Tone Casualties (now defunct) would be sued if they used the name or image of Ĉon.

Not detoured, Neumann released an unofficial soundtrack, under a different name.

The two disc CD set was re-named "Eye Spy - Ears Only: Confidential" with a cover art done by none other than artist/creator Chung. It mimics the iconic "Ĉon Flux" image of a fly caught in the eye. Because of the name change and different artwork, many fans did not know it existed.

The limited pressed soundtrack soon sold out and became a sought after collector's item to those in the know. I failed to get my copy.

This is the soundtrack from an animated series on a popular cable TV network. The title of the series and the name of the network are secret, and will not be divulged in these notes. There are also cues which have never been released, which were written for the semi-defunct CD-ROM game spinoff from the series. Over a full hour of music had to be cut to make a 2 CD set. Clever fans of the show will know what show it is.
    - Neumann liner notes

That game (from Cryo Interactive) was eventually aborted. And that's where the music could've ended. But very much like the titular character, it rose to fight another day.

More than a decade later due to popular demand the score shot up ears again. In 2010 Neumann re-released the soundtrack; remastered and expanded (two to eight minutes longer on select tracks), sway. But the old rules still applied.

Could NOT be named "Ĉon Flux". Unsure if there was enough demand for physical copies (costly to produce), this endeavor was pure digital - 320 kbps MP3s (from the 24 bit masters). The compressed document is close to 400mb. I had to buy and download at a friend's house (he has broadband).

For obvious reasons I'm not going to list the website nor download price (through PayPal). You should be able to find it on your own, it's not that hard.

Virtual disc one has three expanded tracks, disc two has four of them. Exclusive through Neumann is a third virtual named, "Volume 3 Declassified - Freedom Of Information Act". This contains additional music from the series as well as music from the early non-speaking shorts.

It also features the expanded score from the episode "Chronophasia" (aired September 19th, 1995).

- - -
    Made me feel helpless, humiliated and sad.
    - Peter Chung on the motion picture

Plans were afoot in 2008 to do a direct to video feature, a sequel to the series (animated). But Paramount lost interest in the property and passed. Too bad, that would've rocked.

It also should be noted that most of the episodes in the box set are longer than when it originally aired. Some alternate takes were found and included. That and the series, minus the shorts which aired on "Liquid Television" is only ten episodes long - still fondly remembered.

Programming like this and "Daria" are long extinct on MTV as are music videos.

- - -

Back on August 31st, 2004, Theron was injured on set; she was performing her own stunt. She hurt her neck from a trampoline accident. Production has halted for a month and on September 30th, filming resumed.

The above image is Ms. Theron in her neck brace, then recovering. When filming restarted, she continued to do her own stunts. I'm impressed.

One of the names considered for the title role was Demi Moore. Man, I would've hated her as Ĉon (not a fan of hers). Another name I'm kinda curious how it would've went is Michelle Rodriguez, she almost had the role. And she could fit into that costume proper. A latina Ĉon?

It could work.

By the way, that Wal-Mart exclusive for the full frame movie, can still be bought from Wal-Mart online - now for $22.07.

And there you have it. Come back on September 3rd, 2015 for another scooping. And if you're real good, I'll include sprinkles.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 1st, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Exclusive steebook case; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Five Finger Death Punch - Got Your Six" with exclusive t-shirt set $24.99 (available September 4th, 2015)
    "Scarface - Deeply Rooted" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99 (available September 4th, 2015)
    "Shinedown - Cut The Cord" CD single with exclusive $2.00 off coupon for the later album $1.99 (available September 4th, 2015)
    "Lindemann - Skills In Pills" with exclusive bonus track $9.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 8th, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Long labored, bore from tears, motivated by the impossible - where WILL you go in "The Time Machine"...

The motion picture opened on March 10th, 2002. It was made with a budget of $80,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $56 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $123,729,176. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring", "A Beautiful Mind", "40 Days And 40 Nights" and "Return To Never Land".

This release was case only, no slipcover. It did come with a two page booklet, production notes with chapter listing.

- - -

Sorry, don't have a weekly ad scan, predates my archive. I should - in the final week of December '04 I started collecting Best Buy weekly ads. Broken in six month intervals, stored in large Manilla envelopes - each noted. I have everyone from 2005 - 2013; most of 2014, but things went sour at the end of August. I have some beyond, but it's incomplete.

Best Buy was the only store with an exclusive, a bonus disc attached to the case. This set streeted on July 23rd, 2002; sold for $14.99, came in a printed cardboard sleeve (which can fit inside the case).

Did not buy on release day, bought two years later from Wal-Mart and the exclusive through Ebay years later (didn't start buying DVDs until 2003, November). Have moved them into a two disc case. The film DVD is gold, unlike current which is silver.

"Inside The Screenplay" is a 6:01 minute featurette, strangely named "Writer & Director Commentary" on the sleeve. "Read The Screenplay" is text based, self-explanatory.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

What have you done? Thousands of years of building and rebuilding, creating and recreating so you can let it crumble to dust. A million years of sensitive men dying for their dreams... FOR WHAT?
    - George (time traveler)

I don't get the hate. It's a sold feature with sway moments of awe which is sorely lacking today. You don't have to rush into your story; dash to conclusion for what? Take the time to enjoy the world created.

Before you ask, not a remake of the 1960, George Pal classic of the same name. But rather a reimagining of the concept. One of the few reboots - in my opinion that works.

Director Simon Wells (great-grandson of author, H.G. Wells) did a good job creating a throwback. A drama about love lost and the great lengths a man would go to find it once more. No easy answers and in a way heartbreaking, his goal is beyond reach - even with time itself in his hands.

If you haven't, do - the '60 adaptation. George Wells (Rod Taylor) was more animated and optimistic than Alexander Hartdegen (Guy Pearce). Then again, he went forward for the sake of knowledge (to see how humanity progressed) not as a way to save his sweetheart. By the way, there's a good fan made, modernize trailer...

Go to YouTube, type "The Time Machine (1960) Trailer Personal Edit" in search. Or if you know how, "H-Ho2nvGuWw". It's still there (as of writing), checked. Uploaded on February 16th, 2010 by Jamie Demeter. There is another "The Time Machine (1960) Trailer (Fan Made)", but it's pretty straight forward.

I do like that bit of continuity; Simon Wells making movie by Wells. AND I enjoyed the cameo by Alan Young who plays the florist. Young played David Philby in the 1960 version, George's best friend. The role in the remake now played by Mark Addy.

Found out about while researching.

There is a CGI animated "The Time Machine" coming out later this year, celebrating the 120th anniversary of the novel. It's directed by Clyde Lucas. And stars Young as the voice of George Wells. I wanna see it.

This was the first film I saw Sienna Guillory in. So strange, I loved her as Jill Valentine in "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (2004). I recall searching IMDb after watching and finding out she was here as Emma, the dead girlfriend.

- - -

The glitter and the glue, all that noise.
    - Nina Gordon

Man, this has to be addressed, it keeps surfacing on various message boards.

The drift.

How can the machine travel in time when its relative position keeps changing as the Earth spins on it's axis and rotates around the sun? He should materialize in space - world is no longer at that spot.

This isn't explicitly mentioned, but is shown. Some logical deductions - the answer.

Phased anchoring...

Once the optical blades are spinning at the proper rotations, generating its own gravity, the automated system turns on the temporal sphere. Which you notice has created it's own gravity well.

The machine is suspended off the floor, feet retracted.

The sphere is now anchored to its relative locale. Someone standing outside of that sphere (once aggravated) will not see the chrononaut nor the machine, they vanish. The device is out of phase. Temporal momentum happens and once at his particular destination/whim, traveler brings it out of phase; back into synch with the rest of the world.

All the while never moving from his point of activation, since the apparatus is tethered.

Which is why the machine is off the ground - terrain change; Hartdegen did plan in advance.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Above is a still from an alternate scene not included in the delete footage on the DVD. Only appears in the trailer for two seconds. Alexander goes further into the future and sees a new, more advance Eloi world (clearly influenced by Vox [Orlando Jones]). Next is the final version.

This was the new world he witnessed after fighting the Über-Morlock (Jeremy Irons). Filmmakers changed their minds and gave us a barren, Morlock owned world (without a master mind controller). The bleak vision was probably done to give him real motivation to change the future.

- - -

You can see from the poster on the top, this was slated for a December 2001 release, but the date was changed because of 9-11. DreamWorks had to cut out and rework a pivotal action scene set in 2037. Not a reshoot, CGI to make different - pushed back the release from December 24th, 2001 to March 10th, 2002.

What was it?

The excavation on the moon for "Lunar Leisure Living", causing it to crack and shatter. The scene in the final film is somewhat similar to the pre-altered version; Hartdegen is handcuffed and is forcibly taken by soldiers to their Humvee - to the underground shelter.

Unlike the film, moon fragments are impacting - one of them hits a skyscraper causing it to collapse. As the building falls, the soldiers run for safety, Alexander runs back into his contraption and jumps. Events follow the same course. This disaster happens on August 8th, 2037. I guess they felt this was too close to the Twin Towers falling.

Within the exclusive, "Read The Screenplay" there is no mention of the meteor shower, Instead it reads:

Then another tremor - the most violet yet - like a shock wave nearing them -- building --

The earth begins to shake and quake and undulate violently - as if gravity itself is rebelling.
    Whole portions of the presented screenplay has areas which simplify read - "OMIT". This script appears to be the post 9-11 version.

THIS screenplay reflects the positive Eloi future. A time when humanity isn't land based, they have a floating city. The gear readout displays, July 11th - 63,542,781,045.

- - -

I wish this had happened.

In early 2004 there was a report that executive producer, Arnold Leibovit and Warner Bros. were working towards a sequel, a mini-series.

The character, Dr. Alexander Hartdegen would face a new peril.

No word if Guy Pearce would've reprise or even what venue for broadcast (network or cable), or even syndicated.

Obviously didn't get made, but I would like to know what it was about? Was a treatment or full teleplay written?

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

A screen snap of actress Myndy Crist - "Jogger" from 2030 (she's pretty). Don't know; in the display window behind them - is that a blue micro mini-skirt or booty shorts? Either way I approve. *nods*

Done. On September 10th, 2015 we'll have a vision of yesterday when you had robots stealing your crap. I suspect they're hocking it for pills from the elderly (when they're not stealing themselves) for fuel. They do that, you know. EVEN Twiki - hell his name says it all. I feel for Dr. Huer, always on the guard, his blood pressure meds.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 8th, 2015

Barbie: Rock 'N Royals
    Free Barbie: Rock 'N Royals mini doll with purchase $12.99

Gotham: The Complete First Season
    Exclusive steelbook $39.99 DVD or BD $44.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD

"Duran Duran - Paper Gods" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99 (available September 25th, 2015)
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-05-2015 at 04:24 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - September 8th, 2015

Gotham: The Complete First Season
    Exclusive something (bonus disc?) DVD $34.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (available now)
    Exclusive lenticular cover; BD only $39.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Chvrches - Every Open Eye" CD single with exclusive coupon for $2.00 off the later album $1.99 (available September 25th, 2015)
    "Scarface - Deep Rooted" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99 (available now)
    "Five Finger Death Punch - Got Your Six" with exclusive t-shirt set $24.99 (available now)
    "Iron Maiden - Speed Of Light" CD single with exclusive t-shirt and coupon for $2.00 off the later album $13.99 (now available)
    "Slayer - Repentless" CD single with exclusive $2.00 off coupon for the later album $1.99 (available now)
    "Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart" with exclusive bonus track $13.99 (available now)
    "Meliora - Ghost" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks and limited edition trading cards $11.99 (now available)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 15th, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we battle giant robots and villainy in "Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow"...

The motion picture opened on September 17th, 2004. It was made with a budget of $40,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $37 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $$57,958,696. The film opened at number one, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", "Napoleon Dynamite", "The Princess Diaries 2" and "Without A Paddle".

This was case only, no slipcover issued, nor insert (booklet/chapter listing/advertisement).

- - -

Best Buy had an exclusive promotional DVD; heralding the yet to be release (theatrical) feature.

This was the second time the store had this type of promo; somewhat common now. The first was for "Hellboy" in March of 2004 (should note, that was the first by ANY store).

It came in a printed cardboard sleeve. The run time is 13:17 minutes, not including the game (computer based; Mac & PC), "The Flying Legion Air Combat Challenge". Also came with behind-the-scenes making-of promo along with the film's teaser and trailer.

It was made available on September 5th, 2004 with any media purchase. Do recall getting this without having to purchase, free. Some times it pays to just ask.

The flap of the cardboard sleeve is a $5.00 off coupon (expired December 24th, 2004) for "Paycheck" (2003), "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (1999), "Laura Croft: Tomb Raider" (2001), "Laura Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life" (2003), "Escape From L.A." (1996), "Mission: Impossible" (1996), "Mission: Impossible 2" (2000), "The Sum Of All Fears" (2002), "Ghost In The Darkness" (1996) and "The Saint" (1997) DVDs.

On street, January 25th, 2005; Best Buy offered two free music downloads from Napster. It sold for $16.99. Fifty copies per store had the offer.

Did not buy it here.

I should - so many may not know.

There was a time when Best Buy had a series of computer kiosks lined up in two rows just for music downloads. You could buy your MP3s from them - using Napster (then was legal). And they would burn your music on CD-Rs for you to take home.

That is so... nonsensical. But they did AND failed. This was next to their DVD/CDs isles.

- - -

Wal-Mart had their own on that date; a bonus disc. This sold for $14.97. The DVD came in a CD envelope inside the case; single featurette, "Anatomy Of A Virtual Scene" and three trailers for the movie.

Unlike so many later store exclusives, this was available for both Widescreen and Full Screen editions (later bonuses in the mid '00 - only accompanied Full Screen). The run time is 12:40 minutes.

Bought my copy here; have since moved my collection into a three disc case with the Best Buy sleeve inside.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Did I stand on the shore and watched you as you drowned?
    - Assemblage 23

Boy, so many folks dislike it. So hard to suspend disbelief? A lack of imagination?

Would give a synopsis, but I'm not. Go see it.

Anyhow, saw this at my local theater.

The story is decent, enjoyed it - part of my library. One of the complaints at the time is the lack of motivation of the villain. Why is Dr. Totenkopf doing this?

Look, they're making a big deal out of nothing.

The bad guy's reason is quite James Bond-ish. Such in the company of Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale from "Moonraker" [1979]) or Karl Stromberg (Curd Jürgens from "The Spy Who Loved Me" [1977]) who came to the same conclusion, whether you choose to agree is your prerogative.

The world is heading towards oblivion with our unabated march; stripping the world apart and destroying nature around us. Totenkopf was trying to push a reset button with the human race taken out of the picture. Allowing the animals to reclaim the planet; his modern/retro Noah's Ark rocket.

Let me take a step back, I need to address this. Frack!

This bugs me - lack of perspective. The film is a throwback, the old sci-fi stories found in pulps of the 1920s and '30s. From the pages of magazines such as "Weird Tales", "Amazing Stories", "Fantastic Adventures" and "Astounding Science-Fiction" to name a few. And an homage to serials of the time.

These were called pulps since they were published on the cheapest pulp paper.

I suppose there are audiences who can not sit though old films or old looking movies.

The machines and robots shown, while wildly unpractical were well established on the artwork in those mags. Long tentacle armed automatons doing impossible things, such as walking.

This was the norm in that era, the stuff of diabolical ingenuity, sci-fi continuity.

And it should be treated as such, accepted. But I kept reading; viewers who were so hung up on physicality. 'Planes don't have flapping wings!' 'Sky Captain's P-40, the canopy didn't look watertight.' *deep sigh* Why is your scope so damn limited?

Another moan; how the screen was out of focus, which was done deliberately, surreal effect. I recall a comment from another message board who said it looked like a long feminine hygiene commercial. *shakes head*

Did not fit their motion picture visual pallet - sad.

Of all the bitching, this one is legitimate. Should not have happened - a false promise.

I am of talking about Commander Francesca "Franky" Cook, played by Angelina Jolie. In all the advertising and trailers it showcased her involvement.

One major problem - her character is a bit role, a step above cameo.

All and all, Jolie has roughly three and a half minutes of screen time out of a 107 minutes feature. Bad Paramount, bad Paramount. *hits with rolled up newspaper*

I do have a problem; it's not with the CGI, nor cast (which is a big thing, I usually HATE Gwyneth Paltrow). There appears to be a missing subplot that is so casually mentioned - Dex Dearborn (Giovanni Ribisi) escape on Totenkopf's island.

He gets kidnapped by one of the machines - taken to the remote isle. Our heroes Sky "Joe" (Jude Law) and reporter, sometime girlfriend, Polly Perkins (Paltrow) travel to the secret local to rescue and stop the doctor (a CGI, Sir Laurence Olivier; actor who died fifteen years earlier).

Joe gets into a life threatening situation and is saved by an escaped Dex with two of the missing scientists. Huh? How did they escape? Not explained. But it is mentioned that other kidnapped scientists didn't make it.

What happened???

Fine.

Another grievance, beyond the soft focus was how fake everything looked. You mean it looks like an old timey comic book? The film was shot in a blue screen with effect added later. In this case, it works. "Sky Captain" is NOT real life nor a portrait of it. Why is that hard to grasp?

The director, Kerry Conran wanted this to be a black and white movie. But his request was nixed, same with presenting the film as such on DVD. The only time (as far as I can recall) that happened was for "The Mist" (2007), director Frank Darabont got his request. The special edition DVD set has the movie as he intended in black and white as a bonus.

*deep sigh* Then there is group of folks who believe that Joe and Dex have a gay relationship going.

WTF!?!

With all the negativity its no wonder why it bombed. So bad, not even a porno parody.

Am I the only one who noticed a large similarity between film's score by Edward Shearmur and the Brain May's soundtrack to the 1986 low budget, Indiana Jones rip-off, "Sky Pirates"? The main theme in particular. By the way, that plane stunt by Tom Cruise for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" (2015); "Sky Pirates" did it first.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Egg.

Hidden on the disc is a short; "Secret Behind The Scenes Look At The Animation Department".

Special Features -> More -> highlight "The Original Six Minute Short", press left; highlight "Extra" - ENTER.

And there you go. Another PT comes is done. Come back here on September 17th, 2015 for a live action cartoon filled with foul language and tons violence. Quite sway.

One last thing. How many noticed the 'King Kong" (1933) references?

1) When the giant robots attack New York; as Sky Captain is fighting them - in the background Kong is climbing up the Empire State building, a blink and miss it moment.

2) The underwater battle with the robot sentry. As they dodge the torpedoes, there's a quick shot of a sunken ship and huge cage on its deck... opened, metal stretched. The name of the ship is "The Venture".

3) The log scene where Joe and Polly get across.

See you back here on September 17th, 2015 for a dose of poison!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 15th, 2015

Furious7
    Exclusive CD sampler; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

Cinderella
    Exclusive bonus content; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 15th, 2015

Furious7
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Fast & Furious 1 - 6 movies
    Exclusive steelbooks; BD/DVD/DC combo $9.99 (each)

Cinderella
    Exclusive lenticular cover; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Casino Royale
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $11.99

Skyfall

Quantum Of Solace

From Russia With Love

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You Only Live Twice

For Your Eyes Only

Diamonds Are Forever

Thunderball

The Daniel Craig Collection

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Keith Richard - Crosseyed Heart" with exclusive bonus track $11.99 (available Sep. 18th, 2015)
    "Atreyu - Long Live" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available Sep. 18th, 2015)

Credits
    Past Tense - Thunder Volt Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 22nd, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This wasn't going to be a two parter, but I had so much to cover and didn't want to edit them out; it went well over 10k characters.

Time marches forward; leaving you behind, but so much more when your life is measured in hours, how will you spend your final day in "Crank"...

The motion picture opened on September 1st, 2006. It was made with a budget of $12,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $27 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $42,931,041. The film opened at number two, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Little Miss Sunshine", "The Wicker Man" (remake), "The Illusionist" and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby".

It originally came with a cardboard foil, slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert(s) were issued.

- - -

Three exclusives...

On street, January 9th, 2007; former retail giant Circuit City sold the title with an exclusive amber syringe pen, reads "Crank" on the side (image from fellow enthusiast, Scott1598). Sorry, don't have the ad to scan.

This set (pen came inside the case) sold for $14.99.

These are the same as those red syringe pens you find around Halloween. They're cute, I guess. But so cheaply manufactured that they cease to write after a couple of weeks (not to mention the fluid inside dries up after a few months). Didn't buy; still feels pretty weak.

I have one of those pens, not an exclusive, but from "H.P. Lovecraft’s Re-Animator: Anchor Bay Collection" DVD 2007. The first pressing arrived with a fluorescent green syringe pen. This came in a box, pen was held inside. You can see it through a window, kinda cool. Haven't taken it out, don't know if it can still write - probably not.

- - -

Best Buy sold the movie with a bonus disc. The extra DVD didn't come in a cardboard sleeve nor CD envelope, but inside a two disc case; has a run time of 25:17 minutes.

Same street for $16.99. Those interviews were funny.

- - -

The last bonus came from FYE slash Suncoast (both owned by Trans-World Entertainment) - same date for $19.99.

Another disc, an excerpt from San Diego 2006 Comic-Con; runs for 11:20 minutes. Come with an introduction by directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. I bought my copy from Suncoast inside my local mall - no longer there, replaced by a clothing store.

In fact, I think most Suncoast stores have closed.

Anyhow the bonus came inside a two disc case too. Ended up selling my second copy on Ebay - lost money, but not that much.

Have since then moved them all into a three disc case. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

To be honest, I'm surprised they lasted as long as it did. Everything was overpriced. But damn, had a massive inventory. I would go there to browse and buy cheaper on Ebay. I remember buying a few laser discs there, back in the day.

I picked up "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea: Disney's Exclusive Archive Collection", their Las Vegas store in 1993 (released same year). In case you're curious, the special edition LD retailed for $69.99.

Sure...

Some of that stuff that never carried over to DVD, still own it.

1) Deleted animated test footage of deep sea fish (some of it in color).

2) A complete program of "Disneyland" hour long series, "Operation Undersea" (black & white). This episode was a documentary on the making of the soon to be classic. Aired on ABC on December 8th, 1954. Presented here without commercials, forty-five minutes.

3) Excerpts from "Monsters Of The Deep" (black & white; with behind-the-scenes clips of Walt Disney, Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre) an episode of "Disneyland" series; aired January 19th, 1955 (ABC).

Man did we dodge a bullet.

The 2009 it was announced that a remake was in the works with Will Smith as Nemo; to be directed by McG. Everything I read just screamed crap on a cracker.

Smith would've been a terrible choice. Man, actor James Mason is forever linked to that role. Not sure who I would want as the captain, but I can tell you this - let someone else direct it, not McG.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Thunder Volt Part II

Rant.

Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.
    - Oscar Wilde

Think of this movie, made for someone suffering from A.D.D. but played with smarts. Or perhaps, a live action "Grand Theft Auto". Well that and a re-imagining of "D.O.A." (1988), the remake and/or original 1950 if you want.

It did well enough to spawn a sequel: "Crank 2: High Voltage" (2009). Which made the first feel a bit sedate and that's amazing!

Neveldine spoke about a third entry recently, it's expected to happen (filming) next year. Fabulous!

Okay. What the frack is THIS about?

The film centers on professional hitman, Chev Chelios (Jason Statham). He awaken messed up, as if with a bad hang over... it's not.

His hit backfires, not in that way. It's political mob pressure; to save face with the Chinese mafia, his boss (Carlos Sanz) orders Chelios killed. That night, long time rival, Ricky Verona (Jose Pablo Cantillo) injects him with the "Beijing Cocktail".

Chelios is dying. The exotic poison will snuff him by the end of the day; mentally suffer, knowing he's fading away. Bad, bad, bad idea!

Still in the dark, Chelios goes to see his (mob) doctor played by Dwight Yoakam, Doc Miles. 'You're dead. But there is a slim chance, quite slim that you might live through this. There is an antidote.'

'This posion is slowing your heart, you gotta keep it pumping with adrenaline or epinephrine.' Not sure if this will happen, cured - he opts for old fashion revenge on those who murdered him. A single day to do it.

From that point it's practically non-stop, so over the top into cartoon territory. He has to keep his heart pumping with insane, reckless acts. That wasn't a simple statement, I meant it!

Bat$hit crazy to stay alive.

I remember watching this over at a friend's house. Jaws dropping and laughing like little kids, fried gold.

There's a point when Chelios is trying to understand what's being said in Chinese so he ends up reads the onscreen subtitles.

Quite surreal.

A good example is having public sex with his stripper girlfriend, Eve (Amy Smart) out in the open - on the street in Chinatown with everyone watching including a bus full of Japanese school girl tourists. *tee hee*

Or getting into a random fist fight with other gangsters. Or getting a police pursuit and evading shoppers while going through a mall in his car; shades of "The Blues Brothers" (1980).

With all this excessiveness it is his flamboyant gay friend, Kaylo (Efren Ramirez) who steals the show. Never explained why they're friends. Kaylo is a nightclub/party glam boy, complete with pink feathered boa.

He's comic relief, but not in a derogatory way.

Kaylo moves the story and is a loyal sidekick, a good friend.

The conclusion is like a video game, in fact it goes into 8-bit graphics, kid you not. So many are killed by Chelios as he reaches his boss' high-rise home; climaxing in a helicopter fist fight. The ending is somewhat ambiguous. Did he die?

Well there's a sequel, so no.

Something I discovered while reseaching, Statham did most of his own stunts - including the areal fight with co-star Jose Pablo Cantillo (as Ricky Verona) in the chopper. That's pretty amazing.

If you like action movies, there is ZERO reasons why you shouldn't see it. In fact, you should have already.

Man, it was so sway how they brought back Kaylo for "High Voltage", he has a twin gay brother, Venus - with tourettes and knows the martial arts. Such an incredible combo! Laughed so hard at that.

As you can imagine, these movies are on the opposite side of political correctness. As it should be.

One bit of warning, full of shaky cam.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

The DVD and BD offers a neat special feature, "Family Friendly" audio. A redub, removing the harsh language with silly crap. The video is the same; gore, nudity and intense action.

The store exclusives are part of the Blu-Ray version which has three additional featurettes, "Pushing Crank", "The Stunts Of Crank" and "Shooting Crank". Too bad that's not DVD, it bugs me.

There is a sway fan made trailer (directed, written and edited by Ben Begley) where El Grincho (yes, now he's a Latino; played by Alex Abbott) has taken Chelios' 'Christmas spirit' by stealing his decorated tree.

Go to YouTube, type in "Crank 3 Trailer Merry Cranksmas" in search. Or if you know how, "3UbZFdegGlQ". It's still there (as of writing), checked. Uploaded on December 24th, 2009 by DinghisKhanComedy.

Doc Miles (Jesse McIntosh) is reasonably sure he can restore his spirit, if he can find his tree in... one hour. Until then Chev (Begley) has to keep jolly and Christmasy. It was more cute than comical, though the Kaylo (Andy Harris) moment was funny.

Renee Dorian plays Eve.

There is even a porno parody, "Cranked" from Bluebird Films (2010), directed by Marc Twain. Sorry, not gonna post the cover - has nudity.

Paige has hours to live. Doc Love tells her she can stay alive longer if she keeps her heart pounding and adrenaline rushing. Paige rungs, fights, and ****s her way across seedy Los Angeles to stay alive long enough to exact revenge on Chilli Manilli.
    - DVD back cover

Don't own it, kinda curious; stars Anna Lovato as Paige and Dylan Ryder as Chilli Manilli. Co-stars Bridgette B., Georgia Jones, Paige Ashley, Riley Evans, Sunny Lane, Tommie Jo and Verena.

That's all the action for you get. Come back her next Thursday (September 24th, 2015) for a two parter about special lady with a special secret. And no.

There isn't a "Crying Game" surprise.

Dude, why did you go there?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 22nd, 2015

The Flash: The Complete First Season
    Exclusive packaging (lenticular probably); $34.99 DVD, unsure if this is for BD $39.99

Pitch Perfect 2
    Exclusive bonus content (disc?); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Chvrches - Every Open Eye" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available Sept. 25th, 2015)
    "Don Henley - Cass Country" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $12.99 (available Sept. 25th, 2015)
    "Pitch Perfect 2 - Soundtrack" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - September 22nd, 2015

The Flash: The Complete First Season
    Exclusive Flash/Arrow crossover comic book; DVD $34.99, BD $39.99

Arrow: The Complete Third Season
    Exclusive Arrow/Flash crossover comic book; DVD $34.99, BD $39.99

Pitch Perfect 2
    Free t-shirt with BD/DVD/DC combo purchase $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"The Dead Weather - Dodge & Burn" deluxe edition with exclusive t-shirt $16.99 (available Sept. 25th, 2015)
    "Widespread Panic - Street Dogs" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99 (available Sept. 25th, 2015)

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast