Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Wal-Mart - available now

The Boss: Unrated
    Exclusive bonus content (internet based); BD/DVD $22.96 (price may very by location).
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-04-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Diarrhea-cha-cha-chaa Part II

Also missing, the "Daria Day" chats. The first marathon, showing season one, before the premiere of season two (February 16th, 1998). Daria and Jane were superimposed in front of a window overlooking New York's Times Square. The same location used for MTV's "Total Request Live". The duo chatted about aired episodes and answered fan questions via MTV Online.

A big reveal; Daria and Jane were both sixteen. Quinn is fourteen and a half. Trent is twenty-one. There were twenty-eight chats, inserted at commercial breaks. Much like "Sarcastathon 3000" (marathon for the fifth season premiere; February 19th, 2001), the animation was limited to their eyes and mouths.

All of these could have very easily have fitted on the DVDs. The chats were just under a minute, some were roughly thirty seconds. I would've like to to have see these - and the "Mock The Vote" presentation.

Also missing is the "Final Farewell" special which aired before and after "Is It College Yet?".

Would like to have seen Daria's interview (cartoon form) by Jane Clayson on CBS's "The Early Show" (January 21st, 2002) talking about the end of the series as well as Beavis and Butt-Head.

- - -

There were two computer CD-ROMs on the series.

"Sick, Sad Life Planner" was made by MacMillian Digital Publishing, distributed by Simon & Schuster Interactive. Streeted November 13th, 1999 for Windows 95/98/ME; sold for $19.95. Rated 'Teen' for ages 10 to 15.

The program was a calendar, a planner where you can set alerts (reminders) for important dates and such. It also has an address book, notation area and a journal which is password protected. And it came with a button to hear Daria give you an non-inspirational message, one each day for a year. There were also video clips.

It got mixed reviews, mostly poor. Saying it was dull and offered very little entertainment. Plus the software ran slow.

The New York Times, May 4th, 2000...

it becomes nearly impossible to write anything overly enthusiastic or optimistic in this journal.
    - Alice Keim

"Daria's Inferno" was made by Hypnotix, distributed by Simon & Schuster Interactive. Streeted November 28, 2000 for Windows 95/98 or Macintosh; sold for $19.95 too. Rated 'Teen' (13+).

This was a game; five levels, third-person perspective quasi-adventure. There are mazes and inventory-based puzzles.

The premise; in Mr. O'Neil's English class while he's covering "Dante's Inferno", Daria falls asleep. She dreams herself into damnation. Her quest - recover five items, stolen from Lawndale High. If NOT, she and the entire student body will be in permanent detention, a Hell onto itself.

The game got mixed reviews, mostly poor once again. Calling it "dull and unimaginative" among other things. It's a game with little actual gaming and weak puzzles. Mostly just walking about.

The concept here sounds like the makings of a good episode for the show or movie.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I do wonder, what could've been.

MTV wanted another season; a reduced order, not thirteen, but seven episodes. Eichler wouldn't have it and opted for a series closer, "College".

Originally the episode "Boxing Daria" (June 25th, 2001) was the show's finale. What would've happened had we gotten those seven episodes? Would we have gotten a full order if there was an eight season?

There was spin-off series in the works; centered on Trent's band, Mystik Spiral. A pilot teleplay was written. It's on the DVD (DVD-ROM, a PDF document). Think of it like the "The Monkees", various mischief as the band try to to make it big - without selling out. This too didn't happen.

Man, I had hoped that in 2011 we could get a return - MTV brought back "Beavis And Butt-head." for another season. The show was canceled in 1997 - why not "Daria"? She did get a mention in it. The two were chatting and Beavis mentions that Daria had killed herself. Butt-head corrects him saying she had moved to a different city. That's nice.

There were some talk about a comeback, but nothing came of it.

Do a reboot! Same story - Daria Morgendorffer and her family have JUST moved into Lawndale and it's 2016. Same characters, new environment - same nonsense. Good times.

It took me two months to watch in 2010, I was rationing the episodes. As I wrote, most of these were new to me. It's a ritual for me now to pull out the box every three years rewatch them.

This show is quite addictive, subversive and has aged quite well. Minus a couple of things such as cell phones looking like bricks and the Morgendorffer's dad converting his old home movies onto video cassettes. The dialog is just as crisp as it was when it first aired. *nods*

The characters feel real and unlike so many other animated shows, they actually grow. They are not the same people they were in season one - life happens. The other thing I enjoyed is its strong continuity; things/people who happen earlier, re-appear later. I appreciate that effort.

A good example is the first episode where Daria is taken to the school's psychiatrist; her anti-social behavior. She is given a rorschach test. Her response the ink blot is "a herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains".

The series finale has a flashback of her very first visit to the psychiatrist in kindergarten. She didn't know what to say to the blots so the doctor comments that different people see different things... like "a herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains". *smiles*

Did not catch that when I saw watched it in '10, I do now.

I suffer from panic attacks. For the most part, they're under control. Recognized what they are and do not give them power. But I'm human and some moments are scary - 'Is this REAL? Not in my head, do I need to go to the ER?'

So?

There was one particularly bad attack, I thought I was dying. I was so scared when it passed. Is this a the tip of something even bigger? And will that happen a minute from now?

Needed something to push the thought out of my mind. So I popped in a DVD. And got a life lesson from a cartoon; when most of the programs were new to me.

I'll be okay.

It was the episode is "Dye! Dye! My Darling!" (aired August 2nd, 2000). In it Daria kisses her best friend's boyfriend - nearly destroys their friendship. She does something quite out of ordinary and seeks her mother's advice. They meet a restaurant; she tells her that 'control' is an illusion. A lie we tell ourselves to keep going. But it's seldom the case and that's okay - everybody is the same boat.

It helped a lot.

Daria: You know... I had everything more or less under control. I'm not saying it was great, but I could deal with school, I could deal with home and now nothing's under control.
    Helen: It never is, sweetie. We just tell ourselves otherwise so we can function.
    Daria: Who came up with that stupid arrangement?
    Helen: It's called life.
    Daria: Life sucks.
    Helen: Yes. Sometimes... often.
    Daria: That's reassuring.
    Helen: But it still beats the alternative. Honey, things will work out. I don't know how, but they will.
    Daria: You don't know how? What kind of parental wisdom is that?
    Helen: Honest?
    Daria: Don't you have to be getting back to that huge case of yours?
    Helen: Oh, don't worry about that. It's completely under control.

*smiles*

Some of the end credits alter egos I like. My favorite is her as Barbarella.

A notice; if you choose the 'Play All' option on the discs you will miss out on the "Sarcastathon 3000" intros.

I do love "Daria". This show was the last of the old guard; actual, real entertainment - not mind numbing, cheaply produced reality programing which is what MTV has de-evolved into. That and the lack of... music videos. The argument given is that people can find music videos on YouTube/internet, so there's no need for broadcast.

This is true on a basic level, but only the artists that you're aware of. What about finding/being exposed to new music? That prospect has been axed. *sigh*

It's recommended and can be bought now for about fifteen dollars or less. An adult version of our titular character above - a bohemian vibe.

Something I didn't know. Daria has a cameo in the former Comedy Central animated series, "Drawn Together", the episode "Lost In Parking Space: Part Two" (October 4th, 2007). She is being tortured in the basement of a Hot Topic along with other cartoon characters. Nails are hammered into her eyes as she says "this is men's fault".

There's a fellow on DeviantArt, an artist named S-C who's done some fantastic "Daria" inspired artwork. Some of my favorites is "Daria's Boytoy" and "Old Friends" - Trent, Jane, Daria and Quinn meeting at a breezy café as adults. Check them out.

In 2002, TV Guide's "Top 50 Greatest Cartoon Characters" (July 30th) - Daria Morgendorffer was ranked number forty-one.

Our next PT will zip by on August 18th, 2016.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:55 AM.