Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Here I am, still the same; nothing's changed.
    - Joydrop

Welcome to the restart; we kick off the re-launch of "Past Tense" with the second entry. The first PT was for "MTV's Laguna Beach: The Complete First Season/The Complete Second Season" (August 18th, 2011; JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum).

Why?

I was still making up the rules and format as I went.

This was at the early point of my web media resources; database was still a seed, needed more growth. As a result this entry was incorrect. There were many exclusives to those seasons from Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target as well as from MTV itself. Since then I've collected nearly all, but one of the bonus discs. *shrugs* I'm still working on it.

Anyhow, this and the upcoming PT posts were altered to reflect the present. As a result, some of them are shorter, much shorter than originally. I will write new material for them.

Often I would take note about then upcoming... things. These have come to pass and were digested by the masses; no point to include them. Others were simply incorporated into the main body - applicable matters.

This started as easy posts that grew into whole essays.

What I'm trying to do is set them in relative synch - as they were the first time around. So for a few months this is going to be weekly, then shift into bi-weekly postings. I have enough materials for three years and in this time I'll work on newer entries for that point - should I get that far.

Why all this? What's the point? Good questions.

This is my creative outlet - keeps me in motion; hopefully you'll understand. It's okay if you don't.

In short, I need this more than I need you to read it.

By the way, don't forget folks, August is National Anal Sex Month which fits nicely with this entry; the S&M demeanor.

This entry originally was posted on August 25th, 2011.

One last thing; none of these items are for sale. I'm a collector and for some I paid in pain. But those are tales for another day. And all of these images have in some fashion been altered; repaired ('70s Wonder Woman pix *shutter*), color fixed, leveled and beyond.

Just discovered that the post limit is 10,000 characters. My old spot was 20k; this is gonna be interesting.

Two parts it is...

Past Tense - S&M Spy Part I

Today we get all spied-up and become morally ambiguous with "MTV's Ĉon Flux"...

"MTV's Ĉon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection" was released on home video on November 22nd, 2005.

It streeted against "Alien Vs. Predator: The Unrated Edition", "King Kong: Two-Disc Collector's Edition" (1933) and "War Of The Worlds: Widescreen Two-Disc Limited Edition" (2005).

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover. The three disc came inside seperate digipaks. There was one insert. Side A was a production note from series creator Peter Chung. It detailed the changes made for the remastering; select dialog re-recorded by stars (voice actors Denise Poirier and John Lee) for better series continuity, voice replacement for the character Clavius (it's now Bruce Willis, uncredited) and CGI elements added for shadows, blurs and various glows. As well as timing errors corrected among other revisions.

The other side featured ads for various MTV products; "Ĉon Flux: The Game", "Ĉon Flux: The Herodotus File" book, "Jackass: The Box Set" and "Beavis And Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection - Volume 1".

- - -

There were two exclusives, plus one.

Former retail giant Circuit City sold the box set on street for $27.99; it came with a bonus DVD.

A sampler disc (in a CD envelope) showcasing select shorts from the MTV series that it originated from - "Liquid Television" (1991 - 1994). The shorts (totaling 17:20 minutes); "Uncle Louie's Date", "I Am Normal", "Genie Junkie", "The Block Heads", "Winter Steele" ("Ball Of Communion" episode), "Fred Dharma: Psychedelic Detective" and various tiny bits.

There is no menu screen, just plays.

This offering was limited to five per store. I'm lucky to have mine. *nods*

Best Buy had their own exclusive, a CD sampler of the score (in a printed cardboard sleeve); sold for $26.99.

This sampler is the ONLY official soundtrack to the series.

The eighteen tracks features seven sound bytes from the show.

There is a soundtrack story to tell, but I'll get to that in a few.

Continuing...

Months after the "Complete Animated Collection" release, Wal-Mart had a bonus DVD for the then streeted "Ĉon Flux" live action film, April 25th, 2006.

It was a sampler for complete series with a run time of twenty-three minutes; three of the shorts from the "Liquid Television" days and trailer for the box set. This exclusive set retailed for $19.49.

This bonus came in a standard DVD case with artwork, but was only available with the Full Screen editions of the movie though.

A somewhat common practice by the store at that time. I bought mine, kept the bonus and sold the copy on Ebay.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:18 AM.