Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - I Part II

I am disappointed in the DVD box set. There was various content on ABC's website for the show that could've been added here. The extras present are so few. The featurette, "Inside the Mind Of Shaun Cassidy" was nice. But I wanted more - like the design of the creatures and effects.

The deleted scenes were interesting as were the bloopers. A commentary would have been nice; a commentary answering all the dangling questions in the finale, would have been a lot even better. And missing is that promo. Why? It's not like they don't have room.

There was a glimmer for fans - of what would've been. Spoilers...

As reported by TV Guide, their August 14th - 20th, 2006 issue. It featured a quick interview with actor Tyler Labine, played Dave Groves. He was being interviewed for his new role as Jonathan Winant on the then series, "Boston Legal" (also on ABC). He was asked about what was planned for season two had it not been axed.

Larkin [Lisa Sheridan] was going to be presumed dead. Russel and I were going to join forces against Tom. Tom was going to find out that his first wife was alive and running this whole military operation, and she was Szura's boss.
    You see - the finale had the local military overtaken, a new hurricane is on the verge of hitting. Szura (James Frain) was culling the entire population of Homestead into the sea for a mass embrace. If you cared, it was jaw dropping.

That took balls.

Want more answers??? Like the end game? Sure you do!

Labine said this while rounding questions with co-star Alan Tudyk; promoting their then new movie, "Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" - 2010 Sundance Film Festival...

Invasion, I was very upset. We didn't know it was the end. We filmed it because we were absolutely certain we were going to get a second season. Which we were at the time. And then things changed. So it was bummer 'cause I knew, I mean, I knew what the second season was going to be. We knew the whole idea. Well the whole - I'll just tell you this. The whole idea of the show was that we were never going to win, it was an evolutionary step. What was happening, this re-seeding; this invasion itself was not an invasion at all. It was our next evolutionary step. So we were basically going to spend five seasons, which is what Shaun Cassidy wanted to do - trying to win this battle we couldn't win. It was the end of human nature or human kind as we knew it. So that was going to be the end. And I was going to have to basically have to beat my sister Larkin - who was going to come back as an evolved hybrid, not a hybrid, she was going to be a full evolved and I was going to have to organize a militia together to kill her, which was going to be cool. But it's not what happened, so, yeah. So basically the whole show would be - we were dead, we were always dead 'cause it's the next evolutionary step.
    - January 25th, 2010

I do like the idea of Larkin turning evil; fully drinking the Kool-Aid.

But that was not to be. Not the first time either...

Moving forward, faster, into my imagination.
    - Jes

Shaun Cassidy has a previous series in 1995 on CBS, "American Gothic".

"Someone's at the door."

The show is centered on the South Carolina rural town of Trinity and a series of murders which seems to be tied to their Sheriff, Lucas Buck played by Gary Cole. It is the newly transferred doctor, Matt Crower (Jake Weber) who begins to uncover the mystery about their peace keeper and how it relates to a local young boy, Caleb Temple (Lucas Black).

The sheriff is once again the antagonist, but this time... he might be The Devil. As in Beelzebub.

Thrown in ghosts and other supernatural things that go bump in the night. It should've been a hit, but wasn't. In fact it was axed before all the episodes aired; eighteen of the twenty-two. The show was produced by Sam Raimi.

By the way actress Sarah Paulson (played Merlyn Temple, Caleb's dead sister) looks like a young version of Juliette Lewis. *nods*

- - -

Back to "Invasion".

If you want a decent book with a similar story line try Frank M. Robinson's "Waiting". The story was published 1999 by Forge. Not a replacement species, but an older race who want their world back, they're human looking. Pretty cheap on hardcover (pictured - I own this) and paperback.

Yeah it ends with an unresolved cliffhanger, but the trip there is a worthy one. The series started slow and ends with a bang. And we did get a full season. Check it out; the six disc set is very affordable on Amazon ($4.28 on resellers) and while you're at it, check out "Day Break" DVD (ends with a conclusion); think of it like a murder/conspiracy version of "Groundhog Day" (1993). It SO rewards on repeated viewings. And one character a minor one, so stands out - there may be a second person stuck in the loop.

One final bit, Nathan Baesel played the one armed deputy, Lewis Sirk on "Invasion". He's also played the title character in "Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon" (2006), last week's Past Tense. Sway.

And there you go. Return here on December 31st, 2015 for the final Past Tense of the year; five women get caught up in their own drama and create wakes of damage behind them. Sounds like a winner. See you then and Merry Chrismas.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-05-2019 at 06:01 AM.