Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - Hawkman Rocket Cycle Part II

What you see above is the "Silver Anniversary Edition" DVD, released by Momentum Pictures on October 10th, 2005 in the United Kingdom for £19.99. What's did we Yanks miss out on?

No DTS 5.1 for the feature film.

Missing are two commentaries; one by film director Mike Hodges, the second from co-star Brian Blessed.

Why?

It's been speculated that Hodges' anti-Bush and U.S. foreign policy mentions on his commentary was the reason why it was excluded. Don't know, could be.

Also not included is a half hour interview with Hodges. AND a slideshow of production stills.

The last bit is different - the "Flash Gordon" serial, the first episode of "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe" (1940), "The Purple Death".

Who's to blame for the weak extras on the region one DVD?

Asking a real question - not a rhetorical query.

Fine, in lieu of a target; I'm pointing my finger on Emperor Ming.

Mwahahahaha!!!

Just so you know, he likes Latinas; especially the ones with the painted eyebrows.

The movie came to Blu-Ray on June 15th, 2010 for $26.98 with re-remastered picture and DTS Master 5.1 audio. And carries the same extras; minus that Sci-Fi Channel series promo.

Not sure when, if ever we will get those commentaries.

One other bit; "The New Adventures Of Flash Gordon: The Complete Series". I own the DVD set from 2006 (came with slipcase).

Now quite out of print, the company - BCI Eclipse no longer exists. Bought mine from Circuit City which also no longer exist. I think I paid twenty for mine - on sale. Now it's going for from $318 to $405, new. Not kidding.

This was re-released on January 5th, 2010 from Mill Creek Entertainment as "The Adventures Of Flash Gordon", stripped of all extras and only presents the first fourteen episodes; thirty-two were made, two seasons.

Season one was good, the second was garbage.

I have fond memories of the pilot episode/movie. I had to snuck out to watch. [nods]

Back in the late 1970s, NBC used to air (filler) movies quite late, after "Saturday Night Live", 1:00am. This was one of them. A cartoon. I found out from reading in "TV Guide". I remember waiting until it was on, staying awake and sneaking into the living room with the television volume on way low, just barely audible. It made it forbidden.

Later it became a TV series later, also on NBC.

It was not "Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure Of All" which aired in 1982, this was BEFORE it was a series in 1979. Which was probably the most faithful adaptation.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Glitter on the mattress. Glitter on the highway.
    - The B-52's

Italian actress Ornella Muti as Princess Aura (with just a hint of something extra). Sway.

Man, she seems to be surrounded by glittery pastries or diseased pillows - can't say which is more bizarre.

Should you perv; there's a topless photo of Muti in her prime on the webs.

At a time when "Star Wars" and its spin-offs have inspired special effects men to bust a gut making their interplanetary adventures look real, "Flash Gordon" is cheerfully willing to look as phony as it is.
    - Roger Ebert

War rocket Ajax will be dispatched on August 22nd, 2016 to bring back the next PT.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.