Past Tense - Documenting A Killer Tween In Brute's Body Part II

Okay lets talk about it.

As mentioned this wasn't the first "Friday" retrospective.

"His Name Was Jason: 2 Disc Splatter Edition" was the first effort by the folks responsible for "Crystal Lake Memories", a direct to video release for the franchise's 30th anniversary on February 3rd, 2009. And probably done to rise awareness of the then new "Friday The 13th" movie. Which is pretty good by the why, I liked it.

Why did we need another effort? While the first doc has various cast and crew interviews, but it's all rather brief and feels much like a fluff piece - no real depth. I have that DVD set, bought from Best Buy.

The first pressing (only) came with a slipcover and mini comic book inside. It sold for $19.97. A chunk of the interviews here reappear on "Crystal Lake Memories". I know some had a problem with that; not everything here is absolutely new. *shakes head* The stories told are still valid. Whatever.

Okay let me take a step further back.

The same guys who did this, also did other franchise documentaries. *nods*

Before "Crystal Lake Memories" there was "More Brains!: A Return To The Living Dead - The Definitive Return Of The Living Dead Documentary". The single disc title (direct to video) was released on October 18th, 2011 for $19.95. The first pressing came with a slipcover (with different artwork) and an exclusive 12"x18" print (folded inside the case) of the doc's poster by artist Carl Ramsey.

I might add, it's autographed by actors Beverly Randolph (Tina), Brian Peck (Scuz) and James Karen (Frank). This offer was only available from their official website; October 1st through December 20th, 2011. And it came with a chapter listing insert too.

The documentary has a run time of four hours. And barely mentions Return Of The Living Dead... "Rave To The Grave" and "Necropolis" (both 2005), as they should. Those films are cheap Sci-Fi Channel productions. Stay away! Don't bother watching them, you're wasting your time and probably money (as I did). The ONLY bright spot on them is Aimee Lynn Chadwick, but she can't save these turds (I'm being kind, have much harsher words).

Anyhow, my grip is that the main focus of the documentary is on the first movie and it's trouble production. This would've made a great two disc set with more time spent on Part II and Part III. It's detailed, yes, but could've been more deeper. I still recommend, it's very good. But could've been better. If you just love Part I, then you'll absolutely adore this release.

Will give them points for having the final interview with writer/director (first installment) Dan O'Bannon (the screenwriter of "Alien" [1979]). Sway.

Before that doc, there was another...

These guys also did "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - The Ultimate Nightmare Documentary"; released on May 4th, 2010 (also direct to video). Above is their re-release, 'Collector's Edition' DVD on October 5th later that year.

Difference?

The CE has a running commentary by the film makers along with extended interviews, a foil slipcover and an exclusive 12"x18" print (folded inside the case) of the doc's poster by artist Matthew Joseph Peak. This DVD also comes with a new stereo 2.0 mix. Do not have, need to get; I have the first pressing which sold for $24.99.

This documentary has a run time of four hours. Man, this was riveting - there is so much history I wasn't aware of. Even at four hours it feels short - I wanted more. You will too (if you're a fan). Recommended.

And even before that...

They did "Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror"; another direct to video release (from Anchor Bay). It streeted on July 25th, 2006 for $19.98, a two disc set. This was their first doc project and has a run time of eight four minutes. It cover the films, but not nearly as comprehensive as the other documentaries they have done. Disc two is footage, "Halloween" panel discussion from "Return To Haddonfield Convention" 2005.

That came with an embossed slipcover and two inserts; two page booklet and mini (twenty-six page) comic book, "Halloween: Autopsis" from Paranormal Pictures comics. Tells the story of a photojournalist who becomes obsessed with Michael Myers and death photos, he starts following Dr. Loomis. It ends with him meeting The Shape. Myers kills him, cutting out his eyes, replacing them with two rolls of film - the last images from the guy's camera. A self-contained story.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Watching the doc I'm rather surprised how two of the Jason Vixens (that's a thing?) have aged gracefully. They won the genetic lottery.

Miss Jensen Daggett (played Rennie Wickham) from "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan" (1989).

Daggett is a mom now, she has two kids. *nods* Nice cleavage - it's a compliment not a sexist remark.

The second is Miss Lauren-Marie Taylor.

She played Vickie in "Friday the 13th: Part 2" (1981). Taylor is also a mom, she has three kids. Man, she looks the same, freaky. Look at that comparison. Wow.

Taylor is a voice actress too, she did "Pound Puppies" the cartoon in 1987; that was a big thing back in the day. Okay, not as big as those Cabbage Patch Kids, but still huge. Well, I should note that the vid image is from 2009 - the previous Jason documentary.

There was one which... I found enchanting; Sharlene Martin (played Tamara Mason) "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan". She has four kids. Can't put my finger on it, but she's my favorite. She's huggable. Not into older women, but I'm intrigued.

- - -

Wave III of tantalizing Halloween costumes.

Now that totally rocks - "The Punishing One", though her outfit is missing two guns, it's iconic. Sexy Punisher is priced at $38.66; does not come with knee high boots nor matching fishnet stockings - which really sells it. On the right woman, that's a head turner. She punishes the sinful, oh my!

*tisk tisk* So?

Is that sexy Coraline? This is priced at $54.98 comes with hooded yellow jacket (with drawstring), blue wig with dragonfly clip and pair of (foam-backed) boot covers. You supply the jeans. How to make it seductive?

Have that jacket open and she's topless (as it were) with large, black button print pasties. See what I did there? How pervy. *smiles* You're welcome. And that would be excellent. Think it's a bland costume... BOOM!

It's naughty. C'mon, it scream 'flasher' - like a trench coat. The costume should come with a black cat purse, that would make it complete.