Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Wal-Mart

Perfect Pitch 2: Limited Edition Gift Set

BD/DVD/DC/CD combo $24.96, available now.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Ghouls Just Wanna Have Fun Part II

Tangent.

I became of aware of this some weeks back - was quite a surprise. How could I not have seen this YEARS ago? I've watched the movie over a dozen time - Paul WS Anderson's 1997 sci-fi horror flick, "Event Horizon". Even saw it on opening day, August 15th.

Yes, there is a slight chance you haven't seen it. I'll say this; think haunted house in an experimental - now derelict, space craft. The stuff of nightmares and genuine paranoia.

In the finale; Lt. Starck (Kathleen Quinlan) was busy getting ready to detach the area with the cryo chambers, needed for the long journey back home - their escape. She was quite occupied with preparations.

So?

At this point, Starck had no further exposure to Dr. William Weir (Sam Neill), who had a demonic transformation. BUT she has a Weir nightmare as help arrives; taking her, crew members Cooper (Richard T. Jones) and Justin (Jack Noseworthy) out of stasis.

How can this be? She did not see reformed/possessed Weir... unless a fragment of Hell/chaos dimension still remains in that compartment. This isn't the end; evil wasn't vanquished.

Something else; have zero proof, just his word. One of my friends from high school saw the movie when it was in theaters. He claims that there was a stinger on his print.

After the end credits, the remnants of the craft materialize above Earth. The ship's ID (Inner Dimensional) drive has been activated by Weir; under the assumption to return to that other realm. If what he says is accurate - Hell has physically come to Earth.

I want it to be true - that would be super sway. The film bombed at the box office, but has since found it's audience on home video, do seek it out which segue to...

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Here are some titles to consider watching this Halloween.

I'll showcase suggestions for four weeks, since my last post (week five) will hit two days before Halloween - would be pointless and you should already have an idea of what to watch that night.

Most can be found in your local video rental shops. A very few can be found in stores. The best bets is to find them online, cheaply, through Ebay or from Amazon's resellers marketplace where you can purchase used/new DVDs. Good luck.

"The Asphyx" (1972)
    England, 1875. A moving blot caught on photographic plates by three different photographers at the moment of their subjects’ demise leads Sir Hugo Cunningham to a spectral discovery... Death. We all have a personal Reaper, an Asphyx. Hugo and his adopted son, Giles attempt to prove the theory and accidentally creates a temporary optical containment device. While this is enough to substantiate his claim, Hugo ponders the bigger implication - if a long term apparatus can hold a person’s Asphyx; would it grant that person, immortality? How far would you go to live forever? Little to no gore, this is a slow paced gothic drama, plays like an extended episode of “The Twilight Zone”. It has been put out on DVD a few times, go with the Redemption release, remastered and has both versions of the film (86/98 minutes; theatrical and extended cuts - watch that, fills in the plot holes). This movie appears to be the inspiration for “Ghostbusters” (1984).
    Redemption Films - 2012 - NR

"Critters" (1986)
    Grover's Bend, Kansas. The rural Brown family discovers an interstellar menace in their backyard, the Krites. Escaping from a maximum security prison asteroid, the aliens have come to Earth to hideout and for supplies. The insatiably hungry beings have set their sights on the Browns and town folks. In pursuit of the vicious escapees are two shapeshifting bounty hunters dispatched by the prison warden. The carnage and hunt begins. Spawned three sequels, only "Critters 2" (1988) is good.
    New Line Home Entertainment - 2003 - PG-13

"Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark" (1988)
    Television horror movie hostess, Elvira is fired from her local station for not sleeping with the new owner. She dreams of having her own Las Vegas show, but is told she will have to put up some of the financing, fifty thousand dollars. Elvira finds salvation in a recently deceased great-aunt who list her as a beneficiary. But she must travel to the *ultra-conservative* New England town of Fallwell to collect the inheritance. Her arrival is met with outrage and scorn by the residences and cheers by the younger community. To her disappointment the bequeath isn't money, but a creepy old house, a small dog as well as an antique recipe book hidden somewhere in the home. A book her uncle will kill to possess.
    Anchor Bay Entertainment - 2001 - PG-13

"Flight Of The Living Dead" (2007)
    This movie was in production before "Snakes On A Plane" (2006). The passengers and crew of a red eye flight from Los Angeles to Paris have something far worse than jet lag to worry about - within the plane's hold is precious cargo. A medical project, an engineered virus. Things go very wrong when turbulence unbuckles the box, unleashing the horrors within. The infection spreads quickly leaving a few survivors stranded at 30,000 feet, fighting for their lives. A horror comedy with fast zeds. Great opening credits; as if it were created for a James Bond vs. zombies movie. I would love to see that by the way.
    New Line Home Entertainment - 2007 - NR

"Storage 24" (2012)
    London, England. Charlie and his best friend Mark are picking up the remaining personal items at a twenty-four hour storage facility; the result of Charlie’s relationship ending - badly. Things go worse when he finds her there too; Shelley is shorting out her stuff, helped by her friends Nikki and Chris. All hell breaks loose, but not from fighting; the group become trapped when a military cargo plane crashes above them. Soon it becomes very apparent that something got loose in the impact... now inside the building. It’s cat and mouse with a unseen menace within the maze of the huge indoor property. Their only weapons are the valuables stored in various units.
    Magnolia Home Entertainment - 2013 - R

That's it folks. And go see it if you haven't yet, 'cause you don't want to piss Emily off. Do you? Do you? Come back here next Thursday for a close encounter, a two parter of the ghoul kind. Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!

And don't forget to check out my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" which has been resurrected. Updated and expanded up its undead arse.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-09-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 6th, 2015

Tut: Season One
    Exclusive metalpak; BD $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

"Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace" with free tote bag $22.99 (available now)
    "Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart" with exclusive bonus track $13.99 (available now)
    "Paul McCartney - Tug of War" with free tote bag $22.99 (available now)
    "Trivium - Silence In The Snow" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense - Mallrats Z Part II

Rant.

This was the film brought about fast moving zombies. NO, the folks in "28 Days Later" (2002) were infected and quite alive. ALIVE. Not zombies. Got it? Good. Yes, that ticks me off.

The teens (years) of this new millennium will be remembered not so much for new movies as it was for so many remakes and reboots of those remakes (looking at you "Spider-Man"); disposable. AND remembered for the abuse of jump scares. They're even making a movie about it - "Five Nights At Freddy's" (2016). *shakes head*

Of the pile of remakes made this new century, "Dawn" ranks among the few which is widely considered excellent. I agree.

It's part of my DVD library; while not a straight remake to the original "Dawn" (1978), it's a worthwhile movie. The plot is solid with good characters, dangerous situations and excellent make-up effects, most of which were practical. Gun shots done not just by traditional squibs, but also by air mortar filled with bloody chunks. Simple and visual. Recommend.

This was the first undead film that delivered. The opening ten minutes set the bar so high; society eaten from the inside out - chaos and utter destruction. In these early outbreak hours, people were clueless as to what's going on, including news...

It's a massive riot.

It's a terrorist attack.

It's a mass hysteria.

It's everything BUT a zombie pandemic.

A close second is "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (2004); infestation of Raccoon City as it begins. The police in the dark - treating the dead as if they're drugged out provocateurs.

- - -

Needs to be talked about.

The grief given to Nicole (Lindy Booth).

Risked it all for that dog. Stupid girl! *deep sigh* She's a deeply scarred young woman; lost her mom, two brothers and later her father (Matt Frewer). Everyone she's cared for has passed. The only reason she gave Terry (Kevin Zegers) a chance is because she was surrounded by armed men in a secure locale.

Nicole transferred her core affections to the dog; maybe this won't get eaten - that K9 became her family. This is why when she felt it was threatened, she reacted so swiftly. NOT AGAIN! She becomes quite proactive which probably didn't happen the first time around.

Perhaps blames herself for their passing. If she had done more they would still be here. It was LOVE, not stupidity or recklessness. She was going to save her family member - just that.

Both Booth and Zegers had worked together earlier in "Wrong Turn" (2003), playing a couple; Francine and Evan.

She had a part in the short lived Showtime 2002 sci-fi series, "Odyssey 5" (on DVD); too bad that it got axed when it did. The show runner, Manny Coto mapped out five seasons.

Recap...

August 7th, 2007; six astronauts are on board the space shuttle Odyssey when a global disaster hits - Earth is destroyed. They are all that's left of the human race (one was killed in a space walk). No answers given, the planet is rubble. All they can do is wait for their life support to exhaust.

But before that happens, First Contact is made. The ship is taken into a large crystal craft. An atmosphere is created. They encounter an alien projected in human form who calls itself, The Seeker. WE are the only survivors it has ever met. There have been fifty other inhabited worlds which were obliterated by an unknown force. Including the home world of The Seeker - the last of its kind.

He offers them something unique; a way to save themselves, our world - time travel. Not a physical journey, but their consciousnesses sent back into them; five years before the disaster. Five years to figure out what happened and stop it.

They uncover a global conspiracy; there is another intelligence on Earth; artificial, the Sentients.

But there's a problem, a big one. It's hinted in the nineteen episode run - these A.I.s might NOT be responsible, that this pursuit is a fool's errand. Something else yet unseen is the real culprit. It ends on a huge cliffhanger, a game changer.

Post show; as it turns out; the Sentients were not responsible (not directly), but an alien race known as "The Exterminators" who seek worlds infected by the Sentients and demolish them. The Seeker would've made an appearance in season two. Our heroes and Sentients would later join forces to save Earth.

The Sentients are like us; some good, some evil and some indifferent; not a unified virtual species.

- - -

It's that time when hot girls must consider what slutty costume to wear this Halloween. Here ideas to some ponder...

"Ms. Krueger Naughty Nightmare", that's so wrong. But clever in that behind locked doors kind of way. Next to that is "Doctor Seussette" or the Puss In The Hat if you so choose. Indeed. Last is "Sexy Gizmo".

Let me get this straight; somebody woke up one morning and thought, 'hey, why isn't there a sexy mogwai outfit?' *shakes head* So "Gremlins" (1984) got spanked by the erotic hand; had to have been a Furry.

Would Kate (Phoebe Cates) wear this for Billy (Zach Galligan) in the bedroom? How awkward would that be if Gizmo saw her? WTF!?!

So it's okay for her to get wet?

There you go, not doing is a disservice to the decades long tradition. You can check the math, but you'll come to the same conclusion. *nods*

- - -

This is my favorite time of the year. But for the past eight years or so I’ve seen a massive decline in Halloween related offerings.

Years ago my grocery store had a section devoted to the holiday; even went so far to build a giant display. One year it was a ghost pirate ship, pretty sway. Not anymore.

It hit me on Tuesday (10/7/15), where are the seasonal, Halloween stores? They exist for a month and a half each year. I have yet to see one.

The same goes for other stores; items for Thanksgiving and even Christmas - as if my holiday is being phased out.

Was at Best Buy their horror section for the season is so... tiny; with lots of junk, filler. It saddens me.

- - -

Almost forgot about this... above is the Japanese poster.

In the United Kingdom before the movie came out, there were numerous complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Why? *shakes head*

That poster (same image, just in English) was too scary and it frightened lots of little kids who walked by the ad. Times have changed, that kind of thing just doesn't happen nowadays. The girl on the poster is the kid who terrorizes Ana and Luis, Vivian (Hannah Lochner).

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

More titles to consider this Halloween season.

"Curse Of The Demon" (1957; black & white)
    A paranormal symposium (witchcraft and devil worship) brings American psychologist, Dr. John Holden to London. He’s a non-believer, a debunker. His attention shifts when friend, collaborator, Professor Henry Harrington is found dead - an accident? Did cult leader, Julian Karswell have something to do with his demise? Karswell was Harrington’s main topic at the conference. Wanting answers, Holden and Harrington's niece, Joanna investigate. What they find is something improbable... has Karswell been summoning a real demon for his own ends? This DVD is called “Curse Of The Demon And Night Of The Demon: Double Feature”. It’s the same movie, the U.K. and U.S. versions. “Curse” is the longer, better cut of the movie.
    Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment - 2002 - NR

"Fido" (2006)
    Set in an alternate universe where the zombie apocalypse happened in the 1930s. We won the war. It is now the 1940s; we have become masters of the undead. The creation of a special collar, makes the ghouls docile. The dead have become our servants and pets. A bloody version of "Lassie". Where a boy befriends a dead guy, their new servant. Only to discover that its collar isn't working. How far will he go to save his pal and vise versa? Where Timmy, boy? Grrrrrrr! A horror comedy.
    Lions Gate Entertainment - 2007 - R

"Isolation" (2005)
    A United Kingdom film. A runaway teen couple find shelter (in their van) near a farm unaware that the ranch is doing illegal genetic research on cows; making them breed faster. The result is this... creature. The easy answer is monster calf. But it's something more. The survivors are trapped, the beast is on the loose. There are some shots of it, but I can't describe what I saw. The DVD has a gallery. A clear look, but that did not help. All I can say, it's nasty looking.
    First Look Home Entertainment - 2007 - NR

"Midnight Movie" (2008)
    A rundown theater is having a midnight screen of a 1970s horror film, "The Dark Beneath"; a crazed, murderous hillbilly stalking teens - stranded by their broken van near his decrepit farmhouse. Worlds collide; the slayer comes off the silver screen into reality. Some try to flee, others are pulled into the black-and-white feature. Why? The director was a Satanist who cursed his motion picture. Be smart, stay alive, don't follow the clichés. A throwback to grind house movies. It should be more widely known, but it’s not. Different, imaginative and relentless.
    Peace Arch Entertainment - 2009 - R

Next week the nightmare continues, another two parter! Can you stand your ground against Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein? Bring your "A" game and maybe Kate Beckinsale in something tight/revealing.

If she's not busy - but ask nicely.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-28-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 13th, 2015

Aladdin: Diamond Edition
    Exclusive lenticular cover; BD only $19.99

San Andreas
    Exclusive lenticular cover with bonus content; BD only $19.99
    (appears to be; bonus through CinemaNow)

Skin Traffik
    Exclusive BD only release $9.99

- - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Coheed & Cambria - Color Before The Sun" with 2 exclsuive bonus tracks (available October 16th, 2015)
    "Scarface - Deep Rooted" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense - Teeth Part II

Footnotes.

Not enough know, but there was a direct to video prequel, an animated short - "Van Helsing: The London Assignment". This streeted on May 11th, 2004 for $14.98. Four days after the movie premiered in theaters.

The story deals with Jack The Ripper and Mr. Hyde. I won't spoil it, sway.

Bought mine from Walmart on release day for $9.44, why yes, I am that anal.

It featured Hugh Jackman, David Wenham, Robbie Coltrane and Alun Armstrong reprising their roles, voices. It's run time is thirty-three minutes. And is pretty decent.

Do wish there were more made. But sadly that was a one time deal.

- - -

There was at one point, for a short time - a proposal for a spin-off television series.

The show was for NBC and would've been called "Transylvania". A cowboy sheriff from America comes to Europe and encounters monsters and the supernatural. The one of the ideas was to have Hugh Jackman reprise his role of Gabriel Van Helsing for guest appearance(s).

The producers came up with the idea because of the various sets which were built; detailed, not simple fronts, but huge three dimensional structures.

One day we were just sitting on the set, which Allan Cameron [production designer] had built this fantastic village for, and I'm like, 'I'd hate to tear this down. I mean, it's so fantastic, and I'd hate to bulldoze it. We ought to do something with it. Let's do a television show!' And that's when my wheels started spinning.
    - Stephen Sommers

It takes place in the late 1800s, like Van Helsing, and it takes place in Transylvania. But none of the characters intersect. It's actually a new idea that just takes place in the world [of the film].
    - producer Bob Ducsay

But the project fell apart soon after the film's release; the weekend box office was not as high as Universal expected. And it killed the proposed sequel, TV series and any further animated adventures. Plus the math didn't add up: the price of make-up, special effects and shooting in Romania turned out to be cost prohibited.

So the question is - how much pre-production was done? Don't know, but I would love to see that artwork.

This wasn't the first time NBC was looking at the concept. In 1997 the network had a pilot made called "The Van Helsing Chronicles". I know there was some problems and a re-shoot happened, but not much else.

This never aired. It starred Dan Gauthier as Christian Van Helsing and Teri Polo as Helena Harker. The teleplay was written by Javier Grillo-Marxuach who would later go on to be a supervising producer on ABC's "Lost" (2004).

- - -

There was a beastie that was left out. Cut out from the script stage, the Gill-Man from "Creature From The Black Lagoon" (1954). It was suppose to have been in the moat around Dracula's castle in Rome. Seen when the Frankenstein monster is abducted. But budget for such a cameo wasn't possible. The missing-link fish would have made an appearance in the sequel.

- - -

Something I had long forgotten, the other adventure. Published by Dark Horse Comics in 2004 was a one shot; a side story.

"Van Helsing: From Beneath The Rue Morgue" take place right after he dispatches Mr. Hyde (voiced by Robbie Coltrane). Running from the French authorities in the sewers, he hears a scream. Investigating the source and he finds himself being hunted by an invisible menace.

Later Van Helsing discovers a secret underground laboratory, which has made this abomination from the parts of man and beast. This thing that was hunting in France was given invisibility by a test serum.

The lab belongs to none other than Dr. Moreau. Who has been playing with his chimeras notions with the poor and homeless of Paris. Moreau unleashes Beathán, the creature on him and during the chaos, escapes. Angry over his losses, decided that he needs a more controlled environment, like an island - perhaps somewhere in the South Seas.

I need to pick this up along with the making-of book, "Van Helsing: The Making Of A Legend", published by Newmarket Press on May 20th, 2004; 160 pages.

It's on my radar, I just need to do it.

- - -

Something.

When I saw this last week - a thought immediately popped.

The feminine costume is called "Blast Off Astronaut". It reminds me of the space suits worn by the ill fated crew of the long range space probe, the Icarus from "Planet Of The Apes" (1968).

Not good replica, but close enough. That Halloween costume could be modified to be a sexy version of the ANSA suit, an accessory could be a plush chimp or gorilla.

It would work.

Sure, left to right; science officer Lt. Thomas Dodge (Jeff Burton), C.O. Col. George Taylor (Charlton Heston), biologist Lt. Maryann Stewart (Dianne Stanley) and navigator Lt. John Landon (Robert Gunner).

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

There she is; "Miss America" in me.
    - Vivien Glass

Do you need to ask?

Kate Beckinsale as Anna Valerious in her ballroom dress.

She was nominated for a 2005 Razzie Award for Worst Actress (for this movie). It didn't happen, I'm glad.

And yes, folks moaned about her too! Anna was too similar to Selene from "Underworld" (2003). *shakes head*

By the way, a fifth feature is on the way for 2016, "Underworld: Next Generation"; Beckinsale will reprise her role as will Theo James from "Underworld: Awakening" (2012). Hope they get Scott Speedman too.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

More titles to ponder watching this Halloween.

"Alien Raiders" (2008)
    Buck Lake, Arizona; the local grocery store is closing its doors for the night. The remaining customers are told to bring their merchandise to the check out. Shortly later a group of paramilitary enter the store and holds everyone hostage. Terrorists? Army? Thieves? No, none of the above, they're scientists, looking for what they believe is the source of a secret alien invasion. Its leader is in the market - inside one of the staff or customers. A gory and paranoid feature with a twist ending. A great little film. And yes, everybody complains about the tacky title. Filmmakers didn’t do it, the distributor did.
    Warner Home Video - 2009 - R

"Bait" (2012)
    Queensland, Australia. A coastal supermarket hold up turns deadly when the robber shoots one of the customers dead, but that becomes the least of their worries. An earthquake happens which results in a tsunami, flooding the area and market - the grocery store is below sea level. Surviving the disaster gets a lot worse, it’s discovered that a great white shark is now lurking in the submerged market, swimming between the isles - hungry. The other problem is that murderer is still in the store, he had his face covered during the robbery, he could be anyone of the survivors. This is bloody and at times quite creative flick.
    Anchor Bay Entertainment - 2012 - NR

"Dance Of The Dead" (2008)
    So many movies claim to be the next “Shaun Of The Dead” (2004), 98% of them is crap; lame humor with so-so effects and a flimsy story. This is one of the exception. Prom night. A radiation leak from a nearby nuclear plant has seeped into the local cemetery causing the dead to rise, hungry. The only thing that stands in the way of a pandemic are the geeks, nerds and assorted losers who couldn't get dates. I can't not praise this enough. Great fun and played smart.
    Lions Gate Film Inc. - 2008 - R

"Haunter" (2013)
    An original take on the haunted house genre. The year is 1985; teenager Lisa Johnson suspects her home is haunted after experiencing odd occurrences. Scared at first, but her inquisitive nature takes over and uncovers multi-layers of ghosts; each unaware of the other. As well as a sinister presence who keeps them locked in the house; feeding off their torment and suffering. Things escalate once she makes contact with Olivia, who desperately needs her help - communication that makes her a target of the Dark Man. Lisa's only hope is to unify the dead to take down the malevolence. Spoiled it? No, I haven't; not by a long shot. *wicked smile*
    MPI Media Group - 2014 - NR

"Splinter" (2008)
    A couple on their drive to a camping site get car jacked while helping a stranded motorist (and his girlfriend). They find an abomination in the woods and become trapped in a convenience store. What is it? One of the most original fiends in a long time. They look like spines, black thick toothpicks. They have limited motion, but once inside you - it infects and kill. Now dead, they take you over, you're the engine and structure. Like Lego body parts; limbs can be severed and reattached in different places, functional. Lots of WTF moments.
    Magnolia Home Entertainment - 2009 - R

Shaken? No? Well then, come back here on October 22nd, 2015 for a ghastly two parter on how one might cheat death. But Mr. Bones does not take kindly to meddling teens.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-09-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 20th, 2015

Jurassic World
    Free t-shirt with BD purchase; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Back To The Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy
    Exclusive collectible license plates; BD only $39.99

Minions Premium Halloween Bag
    $5.99 alone or $3.99 with select purchases

- - - - - - - - - -

"Coheed & Cambria - Color Before The Sun" with 2 exclsuive bonus tracks (available now) $9.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:39 AM.