Past Tense - The Heart Wants What The Heart Wants Part II

Okay - how creepy is that pix? 'When we are wedded, I'm going to bed you... non-consensually.'

There is a family tradition of having game; similar to Highlander Games to prove that the man is worthy of her hand. Tom joins in - he's motivated to win. Even if this is superficial, that's not the point - to best her would be suitor.

The various competitions has Tom and Colin in a tie. Only two contestants left - the final game, log tossing. It ends badly for Tom. That's it, he lost.

The day of the wedding he drops out allowing her other friend to be the MOH, a role she wanted since the wedding was announced. As he's being driven back to the airport, he has a last minute thought - one final effort to say his peace.

He manages to commandeer a horse to ride to the church before the ring is put on. And I'll stop here. You can pretty much guess what happens next. I have no buyer's remorse. It's a popcorn romantic-comedy.

The movie was directed by Paul Weiland, pictured. I enjoyed it, but wished there were were a moment between the men.

The opportunity was at the games; Colin realizing that Tom loves Hannah and this game was more than family tradition. He's out to show how he's better than him. Then this becomes know to these men - this is war, a secret tournament for her hand.

The log toss happens different - Tom fails, but fails upward. He falls on his face, but uses all of his strength to toss the log, at an odd angle. It hits the floor, flips and barely flips once more on the ground, landing next to Colin's log. The game mediator looks at the logs - then with a metal ruler on the ends, it's a draw. Equals.

Tom is shaken and a bit weaken by the toss and is as if he's ready to fall back down. Colin is pissed off and punches Tom. But since he's having trouble standing, the punch misses. Seeing what's happening, Tom punches back at Colin, a bloody nose. Then it descends into a brawl. The mediator announces there is a precedent for this kind of conflict between two suitors. Pushing people away from the fist fight - last man standing wins.

At this point, Hannah realizes what's going on and is ticked off. All this time and now at her wedding does Tom finally comes to her sense. And mad at Colin for sinking to this level for her affections. She yells out to both men and marches off with her pals. This stops the fight, both men are bleeding and bruised - no winner. Colin's mother comes over and tell him she's disappointed - because her champion couldn't beat this 'runt'.

The game festivities ends; attendees depart, leaving Tom and Colin alone. They talk about how they came to the realize Hannah was the girl for them. Tom sunken, how he lost his best friend, damage done. The men sharing a bottle of Kentucky bourbon that Tom had smuggled in.

The movie then returns to its course.

There is this scene in "Leatherheads" (2008) where the two men seeking the girl's love have a fist fight. A younger man, Carter Rutherford (John Krasinski) and a older mature fellow, Dodge Connolly (George Clooney). It's a private fight, no audience. Two men going at it. Rutherford thought it was an easy win, he's younger. But Connolly has years of fighting under his belt, experience. It ends with both men, bruised talking about how they fell in love with her; Lexie Littleton (Renée Zellweger), sharing a bottle of booze. This moment has no real bearing to the plot, but is all about characterization, making the men three dimensional and relatable, Carter is not a bad man - he's a decent fellow - the same with Colin.

Oh well. I did enjoy the movie.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

For me, among the Monaghan sister actresses; Michelle and Bridget, Michelle is hotter. She looks feminine and conveys it well. Bridget is too athletic for my liking. She's attractive, but not like her younger sibling who looks like what you would imagine - 'the girl next door' would appear as.

And can flip - sexy and adorable on a whim (her role as Harmony in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" [2005]).

So Tuesday night... was in bed, ready for slumber and a thought popped. My phone was nearby, did a quick search. I was correct. Sway. Went to sleep; the following evening, wrote this entry with the last minute addition.

Michelle had a tiny role in the 2005 horror, supernatural, murder mystery - "Constantine". It was uncredited, she played a succubus, Ellie - cut from the movie; single shot of her is in the film, when holy water rains down from the building's sprinklers. Too bad she died.

She's in the deleted scenes under "Demonic Tryst". The she-demon that Constantine (Keanu Reeves) was bedding. We get a glimpse from under the sheet, Ellie has a tail. And she appears in an alternate version at the night club, working. She is a demonic prostitute.

Oh yeah, just so you know, my jury duty was three days long; not the case - just jury selection. It ended with three groups "B", "C" and "D" (mine) used to gain the twelve and alternates. There were just three of us, unpicked, till they had their numbers. We were then excused; here in California, we get $15.00 per day, minus the first day and .34 cents per mile to the court house - *one way*.

The case was expected to go well into October; Monday - Thursday each week. I'm not a part of it; cancer from using the "Roundup" herbicide from Monsanto. You probably have seen the television ads for the class action lawsuit about the weed killer.

Okay. Come back her on August 26th, 2021 for more. Not sure what that will be, but will do my best to make it entertaining and informative.