Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 10th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

*blop blop blop* "Twenty-Four" again...

"24: Redemption" was released on home video on November 25th, 2008.

It streeted against "Hancock", "Pink Panther: Ultimate Collection" and "The Real Ghostbusters: Complete Collection".

DVD did not come with a slipcover, but originally came with two inserts. 1) A three page folded advertisement for "24" seasons one through six on DVD; ad for "24" on the Fox Mobile Channel (on Flo); "Red Alert 3" video game; 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment TV seasons on DVD for various shows. And an ad for Ironworks Records, the record company owned by Kiefer Sutherland and Jude Cole; artist shown, "Rocco DeLuca And The Burden", "HoneyHoney" and "Billy Boy On Poison". The back cover has a PSA for Malaria in Africa. 2) The digital copy instructions, double sided, expired on November 24th, 2010.

- - -

Best Buy offered the only exclusive, a three disc set - "Digital Copy Edition" with bonus content.

Steeted for $22.99, a three disc case; exclusives has a run time of 28:42 minutes. These bonus features are on disc two (presented in widescreen), not on a separate DVD. Disc one is the broadcast presentation. Disc two has the extended cut (seventeen minutes longer).

Disc three holds the Digital Copy, another store exclusive. The music video by Rocco DeLuca is part of the regular bonus features.

Not an exclusive - attached to the shrinkwrap was a small, folded coupon(s) from Domino's Pizza for various sandwiches. I cut mine out, but didn't pull it open. It's inside the insert - inside the case. I was careful, did not see any expiration; at least not that I could see without opening it. *nods*

Remember having a scratched disc, made an exchange - bought on release day.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Movie concerns itself on two hours in real time from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm, not a condense day as "24: Live Another Day". Not a jab, just an observation.

You got sirens for a welcome. There's blood stains for your pain.
    - Duran Duran

Bridges the gap between seasons six and the then to air season seven. "Redemption" had it's origins as a web series, the intent. But it kept growing and growing in scope until became more than webisodes, a full length movie.

The program aired on November 23rd, 2008 (Fox), on a Sunday; three days later on home video.

Not bad, but I'll be honest - not great. Lets say it was serviceable. As I wrote, I liked it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Once again an entry that's too short. Time to whip out quality filler. *wink*

Volume II of dead television shows not on DVD. Volume one appeared in the PT for "Revenge: The Complete First Season" (Part I and Part II). Two offerings this time out...

"Spy Game" - ABC 1997. The show centered on the exploits of E.C.H.O. (Emergency Counter Hostilities Organization), a lower tier intelligence agency; formed due to global downsizing - people with highly specialized skills who are now unemployed.

What happens when former spies offer their talents to the highest bidder? Bad things. We follow agents Lorne Cash (Linden Ashby), a retired guy who reluctantly gets back in the game and his new younger partner, Max London (Allison Smith).

Cash is classic James Bond; wits and muscle than gadgets (he can turn, use any object as a weapon), Max is the opposite, toys. She can fight too. When I say lower tier, don't mean under budget, they were not considered a big player in the spy community.

Their biggest moment was handling the President's football; mobile device that can launch the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

Series had lots of action and cool story lines. In this universe, Ross Perot was elected President. It featured in many bit roles and cameo; actors from various spy movies and TV series.

Thirteen episodes were made, nine aired. It had all the hallmarks of being a cult show. But most have forgotten about it, deserved better.

A year earlier, Smith played a teen in the NBC TV movie, "Lying Eyes" (December 9th, 1996). This feature centers on a high school cheerleader, Amy Miller (Cassidy Rae) who starts dating, Derek Bradshaw (Vincent Irizarry), a married man in his thirties. Amy has a dangerous stalker. Who could it be? Hint... it's the older model, the last teen Derek was dating.

Look at that, found the promo image for it.

Yeah it's Jennifer (Smith). The twist here? Derek gets away with it all. It ends with him courting yet another teen. This is on DVD twice over.

- - -

Of all the unreleased shows I've written about, this is the one I'm the most surprised hasn't happened.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" aired in 1977 as a live action TV movie/pilot on CBS, later as a series the following year. I assumed this was a single season show; turns out it was two - quite brief seasons. Season one was five episodes and season two was seven.

All of the hour long programs aired. Several were edited together and broadcast as two hour movies in later years. I saw them on KTLA's "Family Film Festival" which aired on the weekends in the 1980s. Same was done to "The Time Tunnel" (1966) and the "Planet Of The Apes" (1974) TV shows.

Was a success, but expensive to make. In the end, numbers didn't equal enough for a third season. And a stigma CBS was trying to avoid, becoming the comic book network. They were airing "The Incredible Hulk" (1977) and "Wonder Woman" (1975) at the time and a few other comic related TV movies. Nowadays nobody would even blink. *sigh*

Adding to the fire of cancelation is co-creator, Stan Lee worked on the show - called it juvenile. Steve Ditko was the other co-creator, trivia.

*pop* Plug pulled.

This incarnation removed all costumed foes in favor of more reality based villains; terrorists, a cult, evil scientist, dictator and bank robbers. Nicholas Hammond played Peter Parker/Spider-Man. He was so perfect for the part. I hold him in the same regard as Christopher Reeve as Superman (1978). It's hard to put into words... right person for the role; a college age Parker.

He feels genuine, earnest - I believe him.

Pilot movie had a theatrical release in the United Kingdom and was one of the early VHS releases in 1980. Also released on laser disc (SF078-5085) in Japan on January 25th, 1986 for 7800 JPY from RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video (single disc, double sided). This was a CLV title with Japanese subtitles. Came with a single sided chapter insert and OBI. I didn't own this.

His web shooters were not biological; Parker built a wrist device that shot out the tendrils. One of the episodes featured Harold Sakata as the henchman battling Spidey. Sakata forever known as Oddjob from "Goldfinger" (1964).

The show had an excellent jazzy opening credits, totally fits. I still remember, most sway. Go to YouTube, type in "The Amazing Spider-Man 70's Opening" in search. Or if you know how, "TbG9SKN7bBA". It's still there (as of writing), checked. Uploaded on September 6th, 2010 by CID296. This is what you're missing out on.

Do not understand; even (the hardly animated) 1967 cartoon series was released on DVD in 2004 from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Before going to grade school in the 1970s, used to watch that, syndication I think.

By the way, my favorite Spidey rendering is the Mego version that appeared in the pages of the former toy collector's magazine, "Toyfare" (1997 - 2011). He was a total smart ass, quite indifferent to the chaos around him, yet the voice of reason. Man, I miss that mag. Made me laugh my ass off.

That evolution became "Robot Chicken" (2005); magazine staffers Tom Root, Doug Goldstein and Matthew Senreich went to work on the series - so its spirit lives on. *nods*

Above is the TV Guide ad for the series premiere - September 19th, 1977. Sorry about the image quality, it was the best I could do, the orginal image was crap.

By the way, last month was looking at YT; episodes of '67 toon. Man, that stuff has aged so poorly, not kidding. It was on my list for DVD buys, glad I never got it. Have no desire to pursue now.

Come back here on July 5th, 2018 for another slice. Could be tasty, could be mud in a pie - we'll both be surprised. *awkward smiles*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-15-2019 at 05:23 AM.