Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - TR Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on February 9th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we learn valuable lessons on NOT playing mysterious unlabeled video tapes and make sure the freaky kid you throw down the well is really dead, not mostly in "The Ring"...

My original intent was covering the exclusive for "The Ring Two", but I ran into a crossover, rather than ditching/ignoring I decided to include it.

- - -

"The Ring"

The motion picture opened on October 18th, 2002 with a budget of $48,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $128 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "The Transporter", "Sweet Home Alabama" and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

The release originally came with a single sheet insert, chapter listing index; the other side a reproduction of the DVD cover.

- - -

There was no exclusive with the initial DVD release; March 4th, 2003.

When the film was re-released on home video to tie-in with then upcoming sequel; it was done a 2-Disc Collector's Set' on March 8th, 2005 for $26.99. This attached the original DVD with a new bonus disc "Rings: The Circle Of Fear Is Growing" (yeah, different name, not as pictured).

This was side packed with its own case.

It also came with a theater voucher to see "The Ring Two" for free ($10.50 value for one; the window was March 18th to April 3rd, 2005). My ticket is still there, never used, I'm a collector.

The image above is from the earlier version of the set. The final version was just a cardboard banner on the bottom. This set was NOT an exclusive, it was available to all retailers.

The bonus disc has a run time of 36:15 minutes. Which is good, the film's DVD release has limited extras. This has a short film (16:40 minutes; exclusively produced for the re-release) which tells how Jake Pierce (Ryan Merriman) become infected with the video. The things that led to him to show Emily (Emily VanCamp) the tape as seen at the start of "The Ring Two".

The camcorder threshold was sway.

It's written by Ehren Kruger (co-writer of the sequel; solo scribe of the first). By the way, Alex Breckenridge (Vanessa) is easy on the eyes. Best known now as the young ghost version of Moira; sexy maid on season one of "American Horror Story". And as Jessie Anderson on "The Walking Dead".

The disc also has both trailers from the films and the cursed videos from both American features and the original Japanese. "Cast And Filmmaker Interviews" self-explanatory. The short featurette, "The Origin Of Terror" appears to be an EPK (Electronic Press Kit) for the first film. When it was first announced it was to have an additional featurette focused on "Ringu", the original movie that inspired the remake - not there.

- - -

The film was re-re-released on September 9th, 2008 for $14.98. This time out, not with a bonus disc, but a lenticular cardboard slipcover (two images). Above are both images. This was the first time the DVD received a slipcover.

I have this, man I'm anal. Got mine from Best Buy - want to say ten bucks.

The same deal happened (on the same day) for "What Lies Beneath" (2000), "Event Horizon" (1997) and "Tim Burton's Sleep Hollow" (1999) - new lenticulars. I have them all - did I not say I'm anal?

- - -

This was an unadvertised freebie. Don't want to say it was an exclusive, though it could very well have been - "The Ring Two" cell phone charm. The promotional item was given away at Best Buy on March 8th, 2005 (same day as the two disc edition). Price?

I don't know, my archive has a brief mention of it; not all Best Buys carried it. I had to look online for more info. The charm came inside a mini-bag, stapled to a postcard, the other side was a mini-poster for the sequel; same picture seen a bit more below.

This is something I would like to have, but I'm in no hurry to acquire.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Rewatched the movie for this write-up. Haven't seen it in years; still holds up and quite outstanding for PG-13. It has teeth, before we got a slew of wishy-washy PG-13 crap.

Of all the Americanized horror movies based on Japanese films, this was the best; far better than "The Grudge" (2004).

Something that didn't register then. When Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) visits Richard Morgan (Brian Cox) at the former horse ranch. He says to her...

You want to know about the horses... Every now and again a writer comes along, heard about what happened.
    How many other people just as resourceful as Rachel came knocking about the tape? It obvious that he knows about the hex. In fact he questions her (with hook in hand), asking if that cassette is the only one. Saying she made a copy probably saved her life that moment.

I like this quote. This goes into Japanese culture and makes me appreciate, the sequel a bit more:

Samara was killing the horses because they annoyed her. But most importantly because they knew what she really was, that she was a possessing spirit and not human. In Shinto mythology, horses are divine and favored by the gods. In Ring 2, Rachel and Aiden were attacked by deer. In Shinto mythology deer are considered the messengers of the gods. The deer acted in order to protect life and destroy the spirit that was possessing Aiden.
    - Kaskait

Wanna know something odd?

Back when the movie came out, there was a ton of speculation on various message boards; tied to Noah's girlfriend, Beth (Pauley Perrette). Why?

Near the end, after his death, Rachel leaves her ex's loft in a wreck. She composes herself when she sees Beth in the elevator. But the woman isn't stunned like Becca (Rachael Bella).

Why was she in the elevator? Did she just visit Noah Clay (Martin Henderson) moments before Rachel? If so, then she would've found him dead. Why not fazed? One of the then theories is that she walked in on the killing and became possessed by Samara (Daveigh Chase).

The warning that Aidan (David Dorfman) gave his mom, "You weren't supposed to help her" takes on a slight new meaning. It remains an unsolved mystery.

Another thing, a pre-"The O.C.", Adam Brody (Seth Cohen on the show) has a bit part as one of Katie's friends. Seen at her wake.

In case you didn't know, there is a another sequel coming later this year, "Rings" - slated for April 1st, 2016. It stars Johnny Galecki, Aimee Teegarden, Laura Wiggins, Zach Roerig, Alex Roe and Surely Alvelo. Yeah, someone named their kid Surely, must have been a serious fan of "Airplane!" (1980). *shakes head* Conflicting info; could be in 3D.

Don't know what the plot is other than it's set in the present. Before you ask, no - Naomi Watts isn't in the movie. Which could be a missed opportunity nor is the character Aidan. Bonnie Morgan plays Samara this outing.

Above; practical effects maestro Rick Baker working on the dead Katie full size prop.

What I would like to see is a prequel. This way you don't have to worry about the issue; outdated technology, VCRs. They are still in use in the 1990s. We could follow the victims before Katie (Amber Tamblyn) and her doom high school friends.

It could even lead up to them at the end. The best of both worlds.

Not sure how they'll work in VCRs into the sequel. Or will this now go digital?

And jump onto social media world. But that could just backfire and turn it into "Unfriended" (2014).

We'll just have to wait and have fingers crossed that they don't mess this one up. The first sequel was passable, but nothing special other than fake looking CGI deer. They so stand out.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Eggs.

Main Menu, "Look Here", press down (cursor disappear) - ENTER.

Once clicked the curse video will play in its entirety; control over the DVD player is disabled. When finished, you are returned to the Main Menu, then a phone rings twice before you're given control. Did not expect that my first time, kinda freaked me out for a moment.

- - -

Samara's song repeats at the end credits (final moments). The song she sung before she her mom killed her. It has another verse.

- - -

Update 02/17/16

The new date for "Rings" is October 28th, 2016.

- - -

Update 10/18/16

The new date is now February 3rd, 2017.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-31-2019 at 05:36 AM.