Past Tense - Occult Gumshoe, Spear Of Destiny And Supernatural Woes Part II

Still talking about "Ultimate Matrix Collection". Something you need to know if you're an über fan, compleatist. You still need the original "The Matrix" DVD (streeted September 21st, 1999 for $24.98, a cardboard snapper case). Or the later repackaging in a regular case. Why?

Missing from "Ultimate" are two commentaries. The first is a commentary by special effects supervisor John Gaeta, editor Zach Staenberg and actress Carrie Anne-Moss.

The second is by composer Don Davis that includes an isolated music score. He talks when nothing is playing. Also missing is "Making The Matrix" featurette (twenty-five minutes), but it's redundant, eclipsed by the massive bonus features in that box set.

Think of it like the 1979 documentary "Giger's Alien", which was not included in either box sets, "Alien: Quadrilogy" DVD (2003) or "Alien: Anthology" Blu-Ray (2010), though it was released on laser disc in Japan in the 1990s; footage from that doc does appear in the various making-of featurettes.

Okay. There is one other thing is missing. This is from "The Matrix: Reloaded" DVD (two disc set), the 2003 MTV Movie Awards parody (uncensored). Why is that absent? Probably rights issues. It was cute, kinda funny.

"The Matrix" DVD was released in two different snapper cases. One was the standard black frame, the other, much harder to find was a transparent frame. I've only ran into that twice in my DVD purchases (2003 - present).

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Kinda bummed that a sequel didn't happen. I enjoyed the film. Granted, I've read complaints where people were unhappy with the way the feature took liberties on the source material. Does the changes make an entertaining experience? Yes, yes it did.

Hell, there were some who were pissed by the changes/omitting a character from the "Lord Of The Rings" novels. Not going to name him, but that hobbit was written in by the author for his child, he served absolutely nothing to the story.

And would've been the next Jar-Jar Binks. It was wise to axe him.

The underground club owned by Midnite (Djimon Hounsou) reminds me a lot like the club, "Caritas" owned by Lorne (Andy Hallett) from the TV series "Angel" (spin-off from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"). Yeah, I'm sure the television club had its inspiration from the "Constantine" comics.

Didn't see this in the theaters, saw it on home video. I remember seeing Tilda Swinton as Gabriel trying to remember where I first saw her. It bugged the hell out of me. I mistaking thought it was the 1991 movie, "If Looks Could Kill".

A Richard Grieco vehicle that bombed at the box office (it made less than 8 million), which is too bad, it was a nice popcorn flick (I have the CD soundtrack). Okay - a flunking high school student, Michael Corben (Grieco), is given a second change to graduate by accompanying a French language class to France. Things go wrong when he's mistaken for an American spy. It's all fun and games (gadgets and girls) until people start getting killed.

It also starred Gabrielle Anwar. There is a DVD-R release, an official one from the Warner Archive Collection. It's widescreen. Nope, it's not her; British government techie, not Swinton.

Should you care - there is a stinger at the end credits for "Constantine"; what became of Chas (Shia LaBeouf) after the events. It's short and fits quite well. LaBeouf did not age well, his person that is.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

The final bit of Halloween titillation for 2021.

This was something I didn't get. ??? Then became so clear, this is a sexy Jiminy Cricket costume. It totally works.

Costume is called "Charming Cricket"; velvet tail (high cut) coat with high collar, lace-up back suede corset, suede booty shorts, spats, neckershief and top hat. No shoes are included.

The shorts are all exposed from behind. Gotta have the body and boldness to wear it. Wish upon a moon, indeed. I mean 'star'. [wink] Pricey, retails for $156.95.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Eggs.

There are three eggs on disc two of this special edition. These are from the DVD edition. Don't know if they're on the Blu-Ray.

Co-writer Frank Cappello gives his commentary on an animatic he created.

Special Features -> highlight "The Production Of Hell" press left; highlight symbol on the goat skull - ENTER.

- - -

Stunt coordinator R.A. Rondell talks about creating the fight scene in the hydro therapy room.

Special Features -> The Production Of Hell -> highlight "Main Menu" press left; highlight crucifix - ENTER.

- - -

Actor Gavin Rossdale discusses his make-up transformation with time lapse and behind-the-scenes footage.

Special Features -> Imagining The Underworld -> highlight "Hellscape" press right; highlight symbol on the corpse's head - ENTER.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

We are days away from Halloween, days. So I'm gonna give you two more suggestions.

"Becky" (2020)
Becky Hooper like most tweens, hates her life. Her mom had died, a year earlier from cancer... her father, Jeff has moved on - too soon for her. His new girlfriend, his new fiancée, Kayla has a child of her own. On top of it all, she is bullied at school. Her solace comes from her dog, Diego and taking shelter in a decrepit tree house - alone with her thoughts and objects belonging to her mom. Becky's life becomes immeasurably worse. Escaped convicts; home invaders have taken over their rural house. They're looking for a key - a key that was hidden in the home years ago. Lead by the sadistic Dominick, he and his men search the place and come across the thirteen year old girl. She has among her mom's possessions, that key. How much trouble can a little girl do to harden murderers and Neo-Nazis? A lot, she has nothing to loose; a strained relationship with her dad and no connection with Kayla or her would-be brother. These men want war with her? Think of this as a dark and bloody, "Home Alone" (1990). The young girl already had issues to begin with - she will bring the WAR to them. On DVD and Blu-Ray. Did not recognize, until listed - Kevin James is the big bad. Yes that Kevin James.
Quiver Distribution - 2020 - R

"Monster Party" (2018)
Dodge, Iris and Casper are professional thieves. Hoping to have one final score to retire - pay off all their debts; the trio learn of an extravagant dinner party in a wealthy part of Southern California. So much to take, so much to score; they insert themselves into the shindig in Malibu. But as the night goes they come to realize the what's going on - the biggest mistake of their lives. Things become violent and quite bloody... their would be heist is actually a gathering of serial killers - not innocent guests. A long night to stay alive.
RLJ Entertainment, Inc. - 2018 - NR

- - -

Rachel Weisz was adorable as Angela Dodson. Enjoyed her as Evelyn Carnahan from 1999's "The Mummy" remake and its sequel. Looking at some of her current pixs, she's still an attractive woman.

By the way, I have her 1996 feature "Chain Reaction" on DVD - which she also co-starred with Keanu Reeves too.

Sorry, but there is no bonus entry for this year, there were some other extras.

As you can see, none of them (from Wal-Mart) had a sticker or some indicator that they were store exclusives - which is the point of these annuals. I bought "The Mummy: Trilogy" and "Swamp Thing: The Complete Series" (not shown) for their glow-in-the-dark slipcases. I'm anal.

Come back here on November 18th, '21 for the next, a single month entry. I need time to catch-up. So only one for November. Unsure, we'll both be surprised. Till then - have a safe and spooky Halloween!