Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

Another band new entry! This time out we get a second slice of offbeat journalism in "This American Life"...

"This American Life: Season One" was released on home video on January 20th, 2009.

It streeted against "The Express: The Ernie Davis Story", "Max Payne: Deluxe Unrated" and "Repo! The Genetic Opera".

This release was not issued a slipcover, nor insert.

- - -

This was another limited time exclusive release from Borders like with season one.

Streeted for the store with a price tag of $15.99. Season two's nationwide release happened on July 21st, 2009 for $19.99. Only two seasons were made, done.

As said in the last PT, this was an adaptation of the long running NPR, radio program (and podcast) on terrestrial radio. This show was made for Showtime. The season comprised of six, half hour long episodes.

Like the last DVD, there are no extras.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

The season one entry spoke of a short lived Fox series, "The Wilton North Report" from 1987.

Very much like "This American Life", but I am wrong.

There was another, much earlier variant - not much of a difference with TWNR. I'm speaking of the NBC show, "Real People".

"Real People" ran from 1979 - 1984. Five seasons on the air and could've gone five more. It was rather cheap to produce. The show could very well be one - if not, the first reality television program.

Starting from the chair, clockwise; Byron Allen, John Barbour, Bill Rafferty, Sarah Purcell and Skip Stephenson. Not pictured is Fred Willard. Even as a child I was puzzled by Stephenson's hair. Why does an adult have a little kid's hair cut? That promo pix does not do it justice - it became his signature image. Why?

A secret. Purcell was my crush back in the day. She's so pretty.

The program? Odd people who did odd things. One of the stories burned to my memory was about the guy who wanted to live in a boat. Said screw it - built his own house boat for him and family. Just one thing. He's too inland for it to ever sit on any body of water, it sits on struts, dry.

It was funny because of his sincerity. He was so proud of this work, he made a boat. But, yeah.

The series showed their journalism and clips before a studio audience. So you got a laugh track, TV was different back then.

Popular segement involved viewers who sent in photos of bizarre happenings. This had to have happened in 1981. A photo from a drive-in marquee, a triple feature bill...

"Alien" (1979)

"Meatballs" (1979)

"Escape From New York" ('81)

I added the release year - now say the titles as a sentence. Damn, forty years later, still makes me smile. If meatballs can rain - why can't alien ones, flee the Big Apple?

Some of the segments can be found on YouTube, but only a handful. Kinda wonder if eventually Time/Life will release a remastered box set, the complete series on DVD. But one thing is certain, that box will be overpriced.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Did one earlier this month. But have need for more *cough* 'caliber' filler. Welcome to Volume Seven of "Dead TV Shows Not On Home Video". You get two titles with a theme!

"Adderly" - The dead show aired in America (made and broadcast for Canadians) on CBS in 1986. This was the network's answer to the long running juggernaut that was "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson" on NBC; 11:30 pm. "Late Night With David Letterman" aired after this spy show.

The series was adapted from the novel "Pocock & Pitt" (1971) by Elliott Baker who was also the show runner. It lasted two seasons, all forty-four episodes aired, an hour long program.

Ex-spy, V.H. Adderly (Winston Rekert; V.H. is for Virgil Homer - his parents were fans of classical poets) was given a massive blow on assignment. He got captured and they mashed his left hand with a meat tenderizer. The higher ups felt he can't be an agent with one hand. And they took his dominant hand. Had to learn to be right handed.

After recovery, Adderly learns he's been transferred to a new bureau within the agency; low level assignments - that don't require active attentions... filler. He is horrified by his fate at 'Department Of Miscellaneous Affairs'. And discovering he is the only agent for DMS, that trivial. Even worse, his new boss, Melville Greenspan (Jonathan Welsh) relishes in the banality of the job. Pretty much his only relief is Greenspan's secretary, Mona Ellerby (Dixie Seatle) - who wants more than this position too, ready to inject herself into trouble.

Much to his boss' chagrin, Adderly manages to do his former job, being a spy, successfully. He's trying to prove that he can be an asset just like before. His boss' boss, Major Jonathan B. Clack (Ken Pogue) is intrigued, but doesn't move him up - no matter how much Adderly tries.

A spy show, but Adderly had no gadgets. There was no budget for them at Miscellaneous Affairs. He is left to his ingenuity to solve and get himself out of troubles. This was a hybrid; action adventure, dramedy, spy series. It wasn't shown if he completely lost his hand - with a static prosthetic or if his hand is lame, it didn't moved. He wore a leather glove on his left hand.

Season two finale, series finale; Adderly learns this was always the goal. Gen. Clack knew he needed someone outside of the system to get things done, not muddled in bureaucracy. So he created the department JUST FOR Adderly. It was so cheap compared to other departments - would fly under the radar. And knew that Adderly wanted to prove himself; so he would work any simple assignment, seek troubles, fishing out wrongs. Greenspan got his tasks directly from Clack; he didn't make the connection until told.

This was a huge game changer - had this gone to season three, V.H. Adderly would've gotten high leveled missions disguised as do-nothing jobs. Getting what he wanted in a roundabout way. The show had a long running subplot; he was seeking the man who did this to him, took his hand. Not some super villain, but a high leveled hired thug.

It was charming, funny and cool - lost to time.

- - -

"Spies" was another CBS series which didn't last long, not even a full season. There were seven episodes made, one of which was the unaired pilot. The rest were broadcast. It was a failed mid-season replacement in 1987.

This told the story of Ian Stone (George Hamilton) a one time, top spy who is getting up in years, yet behaving like nothing has changed. As in spending and breaking property like James Bond without a care. He does get his tasks completed each time. The agency is sick of him. Spends too much and doesn't care about the consequences. Kinda like Sterling Archer, but more muted. And yeah, Stone IS a social drinker too.

The agency's chairman, Thomas Brady (Barry Corbin) is getting ready to fire him. This happens as reports were being delivered by company accountant, Ben Smythe (Gary Kroeger) who is a great fan of Stone. The young agent attempts to make a case for Stone, still valuable. Tired and doesn't want to hurt his friend; assigns Smythe to Stone - be his voice of reason and accountant; ordering him to move in with his idol.

'Keep this guy's frivolity in check or both of you, lose your jobs.'

He is a low level spy, not the training nor experience for these kind of cloak and dagger scenarios. As expected Ian is ticked off having a partner, gonna stifle his style.

This or get fired, reluctantly agrees. Ben proves his worth and together they get into all sorts of global troubles. All the while keeping tabs on Stone's spending. This is like the above, a mash-up. It was a fun series too.

The unaired pilot had Tony Curtis as Stone. Don't know how I feel about that. Hamilton is debonair. Curtis is right to the point, kinda harsh. Sure it could've worked, but it works better with Hamilton. *nods*

- - -

"This American Life" season two was bought off eBay.

It was acquired on December 31st, 2020 for $10.76 total with free shipping. Arrived on January 4th, 2021, mint. I didn't open it until I did a scan of the cover. 'Cause I care for you guys. Sway! I liked it. Same as season one, more of the same and that's not a bad thing.

Okay, not one of my better Past Tenses, but it is functional, mostly. And that's fine! Come back here on May 13th, 2021 for something I'm just as clueless as you. We'll both be surprised... hopefully in a good way. *weak grin*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 05-13-2021 at 04:54 AM.