Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - Cold Blooded Dangers And Scales Part II

That's fancy! And doesn't look familiar. When the Visitors first appeared in person ('83) it was from their shuttle. That's a super cool design. A craft that was made to be modular; it could shuttle, troop transport, fighter or cargo tanker. It makes perfect sense. You would want a versatile vehicle. This thing fits the bill.

This was a full scale prop. Very sway.

Sure, another gripe were people calling the aliens - "The Vs", that got on my nerve. Just call them Visitors, don't placate to the Twitter crowd. *deep sigh*

- - -

Taking a step back on that shuttle. In the mini-series there was a scene where Mike's son's friend, Tommy (Josh Brooks) shows him his new toy - a Visitor craft with action figure. I was in elementary school when this aired (May 1st and 2nd, 1983). How cool is that?

Man, I wanted one of those toys real bad! That thing was huge.

This was something I didn't know about until this early 2013.

There was a Visitor fighter craft and Jeep with figures toy set.

Don't know where this was released. But I'm guessing this is from the later TV series (1984). In the series they used Jeeps to move about. Granted they did use a couple to some extent in the second mini-series "V: The Final Battle" ('84). I would like one, too bad the windows are painted black and not see through.

If this came out today, it would have sound effects, light up and have a detailed cockpit. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. It's all about licensing I suppose.

What else... this is ripe to become various Lego sets. Fighters and Mother Ship bridge even a hanger with three or so fighters. Would come with different heads for the Visitors; human or green lizard. That would be excellent.

- - -

This is strictly for the guys (slash) pervs. What did the lizard ladies wear under their uniform? A solid, good question. Men will ponder that.

Sometimes lizard is better. *Fred Gwynne voice*

For the original, Visitor Barbara (Jenny Neumann) wore a cream orange bikini. Okay, I suppose - does the job. That outfit is very much a product of its time. Visitor Lisa (reboot) wore dark brown bra and matching boy shorts with an off-white trim. Have nothing to complain about, works and quite functional.

I much prefer the lingerie worn by Lisa. And I'm guessing most of the male readers here would agree with that... and perhaps a few ladies too.

Add to that, the bikini bottom kinda looks like it doesn't quite fit Barbara's rear.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was a second exclusive for season one. This came from North of the boarder - Canada, another steelbook. As you can see the cover is slightly different from the U.S. steelbook (and wider).

Sold for DVD or Blu-Ray from Future Shop, the sister retail store of Best Buy.

Released on November 10th, 2010. Sorry - do not know the prices.

By the way, from a store that no longer exists.

- - -

Here's the cover from the first mini-series. The came to DVD on July 3rd, 2001 in one of those hated cardboard snapper cases (for $19.95). *shaking fist* On November 8th, 2011 it was re-released (priced at $14.97), now in a standard DVD case. Good.

Just so you know, it okay - nothing was lost. The DVD presents the mini-series in widescreen, but didn't the thing aired on TV full screen? They didn't chop up the bottom and top to make it wide.

OR was the mini-series was filmed wide then cropped for television?

Good questions.

Sure - this is also on Blu-Ray as an MOD; released as part of "Warner Archive Collection", BD-R. Streeted on August 27th, 2019 for $21.99. No extras like the DVD.

- - -

So you can know what they did back in '80s. This is the real make-up they did for the big reveal by television journalist, Donovan who snuck on board the L.A. mothership. They are not like us... they are not our friends.

- - -

By the way, I bought this on street from Best Buy AND price matched their own website which had it cheaper - $25.99, two bucks less.

Took a print out with me to the store.

Why yes, this is a screen snap from November 2nd, 2010 - the same I printed out. Yes - I am THAT anal.

Anyhow, I have season two and realize I only have season one as that steelbook. In mid August (this year) I bought the standard first season with foil slipcase. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Here's a behind-the-scenes photo.

From the first mini-series finale; director/creator Kenneth Johnson with actress Faye Grant who played Dr. Juliet Parrish. I'll let you on a personal secret...

It was her. *whispered voice*

It was Ms. Grant who captured my heart as a boy and gave me a lifetime affinity for petite women. It's true. Man, she's so huggable and stuff.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Would you?

Knowing, she's a lizard.

Once more - Vandervoort as Visitor Lisa. Unless I'm mistaken, that shell is actually alive - the masquerade flesh. By the way, Vandervoort also did another genre shows such as "Smallville" (The CW). She played Kara Kent, a.k.a. Supergirl during its seventh season. And a werewolf, Elena Michaels in "Bitten" (Syfy Channel).

She later had guest roles in the current TV series, "Supergirl" for The CW.

There you have it, another cluster for you. You could say crap, but I would say - educational. Come back here on September 19th, 2019 for another steelbook entry. NOT zombies, they're still very much alive.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 02-08-2020 at 08:42 AM.