Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - Thunder Volt Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 22nd, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This wasn't going to be a two parter, but I had so much to cover and didn't want to edit them out; it went well over 10k characters.

Time marches forward; leaving you behind, but so much more when your life is measured in hours, how will you spend your final day in "Crank"...

The motion picture opened on September 1st, 2006. It was made with a budget of $12,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $27 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $42,931,041. The film opened at number two, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Little Miss Sunshine", "The Wicker Man" (remake), "The Illusionist" and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby".

It originally came with a cardboard foil, slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert(s) were issued.

- - -

Three exclusives...

On street, January 9th, 2007; former retail giant Circuit City sold the title with an exclusive amber syringe pen, reads "Crank" on the side (image from fellow enthusiast, Scott1598). Sorry, don't have the ad to scan.

This set (pen came inside the case) sold for $14.99.

These are the same as those red syringe pens you find around Halloween. They're cute, I guess. But so cheaply manufactured that they cease to write after a couple of weeks (not to mention the fluid inside dries up after a few months). Didn't buy; still feels pretty weak.

I have one of those pens, not an exclusive, but from "H.P. Lovecraft’s Re-Animator: Anchor Bay Collection" DVD 2007. The first pressing arrived with a fluorescent green syringe pen. This came in a box, pen was held inside. You can see it through a window, kinda cool. Haven't taken it out, don't know if it can still write - probably not.

- - -

Best Buy sold the movie with a bonus disc. The extra DVD didn't come in a cardboard sleeve nor CD envelope, but inside a two disc case; has a run time of 25:17 minutes.

Same street for $16.99. Those interviews were funny.

- - -

The last bonus came from FYE slash Suncoast (both owned by Trans-World Entertainment) - same date for $19.99.

Another disc, an excerpt from San Diego 2006 Comic-Con; runs for 11:20 minutes. Come with an introduction by directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. I bought my copy from Suncoast inside my local mall - no longer there, replaced by a clothing store.

In fact, I think most Suncoast stores have closed.

Anyhow the bonus came inside a two disc case too. Ended up selling my second copy on Ebay - lost money, but not that much.

Have since then moved them all into a three disc case. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

To be honest, I'm surprised they lasted as long as it did. Everything was overpriced. But damn, had a massive inventory. I would go there to browse and buy cheaper on Ebay. I remember buying a few laser discs there, back in the day.

I picked up "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea: Disney's Exclusive Archive Collection", their Las Vegas store in 1993 (released same year). In case you're curious, the special edition LD retailed for $69.99.

Sure...

Some of that stuff that never carried over to DVD, still own it.

1) Deleted animated test footage of deep sea fish (some of it in color).

2) A complete program of "Disneyland" hour long series, "Operation Undersea" (black & white). This episode was a documentary on the making of the soon to be classic. Aired on ABC on December 8th, 1954. Presented here without commercials, forty-five minutes.

3) Excerpts from "Monsters Of The Deep" (black & white; with behind-the-scenes clips of Walt Disney, Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre) an episode of "Disneyland" series; aired January 19th, 1955 (ABC).

Man did we dodge a bullet.

The 2009 it was announced that a remake was in the works with Will Smith as Nemo; to be directed by McG. Everything I read just screamed crap on a cracker.

Smith would've been a terrible choice. Man, actor James Mason is forever linked to that role. Not sure who I would want as the captain, but I can tell you this - let someone else direct it, not McG.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.