Past Tense - Counting Your Money, After The Is Done Part I

This time out we get to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em; another brand new entry! We go back to the 1800s with "The Gambler".

"The Gambler: The Complete 6 - Film Collection" was released on home video on October 6th, 2020.

It streeted against "Valley Girl" (2020 remake), "The Secret Garden" and "Save Yourselves!".

This came in a transparent case with the wraparound printed on both sides. The inner has a Brady Hawks still (star Kenny Rogers) with zero data; no air dates nor synopsises. *shakes fist* What the hell?

There was no insert or slipcover issued. I ended up including an index card with all the air dates and networks.

- - -

Not an easy task - nope. But I did find it.

"The Gambler" continues to be a Wal-Mart unadvertised exclusive (no sticker on it indicating what it is); only when you look at their website do you get the information. Why? I don't know. Seems so counterproductive, wouldn't you want people - customers to know?

As I write this - there is no national release date announced.

The five DVD set streeted at the store on October 6th, 2020 and had a retail price of $19.99. It has since changed. There is no extras present... unless you count that other movie. I'll cover that in a few.

There's a story to be told I'll do that first.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I've been trying to buy this collection - in a different form for years. TimeLife had a box set with the first three releases in the franchise. It came with a bonus deck of cards. This was what I wanted and to buy the last two mini-series separately. I made so many attempts and they pretty much all failed - eBay. Two tries happen in earlier 2021.

Folks who have 'make an offer' listing, but don't want offers, why have it if you won't allow it? So this was a 'no go' for me. Now I'm glad it didn't happen. I wouldn't spent so much money collecting and later kicking myself for buying them all.

I did not know about this collection until September 3rd, 2021 - I was out of time at one of the stores when I saw it. Yeah, my jaw dropped. Bought my copy for $14.99; looking at the tag, the price was reduced in June of '21.

These TV movies and mini-series has been released, re-released and re-re-released over the years from TimeLife, Timeless Media Group, Echo Bridge Entertainment and now by Shout! Factory which by the way had bought TMG a few years back (but has yet to re-release their complete series sets).

So many different DVD releases these 2000s.

My plan was originally to get that TimeLife box and the last two mini-series from Timeless Media Group since EBE is well known for dropping bit rates to cram as much as possible on their discs. *nods*

As I wrote earlier, I'm so glad my previous efforts failed. This set is so convenient and value priced. Sway. The stupid thing, recently I was at my local Wal-Mart and saw it for sale. NOW! All these past months, nearly a year after the fact, it's now at my store.

Something that must be understood. Came to learn this over the years. When the store has an exclusive release - for some bizarre reason it won't be carried at all their stores. I'm under the impression these things are regional as it were then become wider available. Again, I have no answer why.

- - -

I should, this is a generational thing. I'll start with some history. Okay - yeah. That second pix, going left to right. I'm pretty sure that's a terrible way to hold a rifle. One mistake, boom! You lost your noggin'.

This was a series of TV movies and later mini-series from CBS and NBC based around a popular song (written by Don Schlitz for/about his late father) by Kenny Rogers, "The Gambler" 1978. The song was a massive hit back in the day, crossing over from country music into pop on Billboard.

CBS needed filler content for the movie of the week and looked at the song as a potential project. I can image the talk about having Rogers in the lead. 'Man is not an actor, can he act? Oh screw it, people will tune in just to see how much of a train wreck this will be. Either way we make money on ratings.'

The stand alone TV movie aired on April 8th, 1980... and was a hit too. Which I can guess damn surprised network executives. Was this a one time deal? Curious they set into motion a sequel, but that didn't happen until 1983. Why the delay? Rogers had a singing gig; recording songs, going on concerts and producing his brand. He didn't have the free time to do another movie.

But the stars alined and "The Adventures Continues" was made; aired November 28th of '83. Once again This was a hit for the network. Proving this wasn't a one hit wonder. They wanted a third entry, but were met once again with the same, old problem - his schedule, but now with a new twist. This was becoming a thing for Rogers, so he wanted to make sure the next installment had an excellent script which got expanded and expanded - becoming a two part mini-series.

"The Legend Continues" was promoted by CBS in 1987 like it was nobody's business, partnered with McDonalds and Mercury (automotive). It had a larger cast with famous actors in various roles. A bigger hit than the last one. It aired in two parts on November 22nd and 23rd of '87.