Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    This unique deal is a great way for Herrick Entertainment to build on its entrance into the motion-picture business. My One and Only is a movie we're very proud to have made, and we believe that Target and Twentieth Century Fox will expand the picture’s theatrical run into a tremendously successful home-entertainment release. We’re very pleased to be in business with these industry leaders and to present My One and Only to audiences, both in theaters and at home.

Credits
    Best Buy - September 6th, 2016

Now You See Me 2
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD/DVD combo $19.99

Now You See Me
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD only $12.99

Star Trek: 50th Anniversary TV And Movie Collection
    Exclusive store release; BD only $149.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD

"A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations" exclusive store release $9.99 (available now)

Credits
    Target - September 6th, 2016

Now You See Me 2
    Exclusive bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available Sept. 9th, 2016

"Bastille - Wild World" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Hawkman Rocket Cycle Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 5th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.] This version was to have been posted on July 21st, 2016 (something came up).

This outing we save a distant S&M world from a mustache twirling tyrant in "Flash Gordon" (1980)...

The motion picture opened on December 5th, 1980. It was made with a budget of $35,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $27 million during its U.S. theatrical run. My data is limited. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week's ranking is unknown.

The feature opened against "The Competition", "Tanya's Island" and "Raging Bull".

This release (Saviour Of The Universe Edition) did not come in a DVD case. It was a glossy cardboard box ('Premium Packaging') which flipped open. Inside is clear disc holder for the single disc. No slipcover issued, nor insert included.

- - -

Best Buy had the only exclusive; two art postcards (5.2 x 7.1 inches) by famous comic book artist Alex Ross. The set streeted on August 7th, 2007 and sold for $16.99.

The back of the cards are blank minus the Universal logo stamp (with copyright year, '07).

There was a minimum of six sets per store.

Both cards fit inside the box which is good since many exclusive comics and the like do not fit inside their releases' cases.

Below is the weekly ad. I bought mine on release day, no problems getting my copy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Man, what is there to say about this psychedelic romp that hasn't been said (it makes a great companion with "Barbarella" [1968])? Well... how did this cost $35 million??? Maybe ten - fifteen is pushing it (in 1980 money). My vote is drugs... lots of them.

The overall designs are very utilitarian. You can't confuse this with the Ron Cobb constructions for "Blade Runner" (1982). Things here look like they're made from spray painted plastic, even the space ships. Sorry, rocket ships.

You gotta question if they hired a bunch of trannies, sorry fabulous trannies to do the costumes. 'This needs more beadazzling, stat!'

Make no mistake - this is a bad movie. But it is one of these ultra rare combinations where they had the money, the heart and the talent to rise it above their horrible gaudiness into kickassery territory. It's like, WTF on a massive scale.

But then a few minutes later - I'm okay with this, go on... pure cheese.

You don't see enough of this type of thing nowadays - presentation. What we have now is reinterpretation. 'How can we make this character modern for today's audiences?' The villain, Emperor Ming (played by Max von Sydow) was so perfect.

He looked like the old comic book baddie. I appreciate that desire to bring to the screen THAT person, not someone removed so much from the source material.

When I think of Ming The Merciless, that's who I think of.

Sam Jones made an excellent Flash Gordon. The man looks like your archetypal hero. The qualities/grace we wish to have under such pressures. Flash has no super powers, just his wits, will and physical strength. The underdog who has an abundance of moxie and passion.

Prince Vultan (played by Brian Blessed) is kind of an asshole when we first meet him. But later when the **** hits the fan, this is the guy we want in our foxhole. He is so goddamn, bigger than life. DIVE!!! Those big white teeth.

The rest of the cast fits quite well. Okay, Melody Anderson's Dale Arden felt artificial at times. Too much of a stereotype. But that's pretty much her entire career. The same kind of acting could be later seen in her TV series, "Manimal" (NBC 1983). Remember that? For me, she was the weak link, it didn't hurt the movie. But it could've been better.

The first movie I saw Topol in was the Bond feature, "For Your Eyes Only" (1981), I saw that at the theaters. He made a great Dr. Hans Zarkov. A bit crazy, but believable. I only wish they spent more time with the doctor examining this foreign technology; big ass buttons, dials and toggle switches.

*nods*

- - -

My first real encounter was watching this when I was in high school, sometime in 1989 on local TV; KTLA if I'm not mistaken. My jaw was open for most of the film. This is real, I'm not hallucinating. I recall joking with friends about it the next day, a shared surreal experience.

This is something; my high school pre-algebra teacher, whom I won't name, looked almost like General Kala (Mariangela Melato). Freaky.

Oh man, the music by Queen. There's a joke here... So very appropriate. Their theme song is so spartan, like the band half-assed it and gave the studio a quick demo of an unfinished tune and that gets used. *shrugs* But like all the crazy visuals, this piece fits quite well...

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - Saviour of the universe!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He'll save every one of us!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He's a miracle!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - King of the impossible!

He's for every one of us
    Stand for every one of us
    He'll save with a mighty hand
    Every man every woman every child
    With a mighty Flash!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He'll save every one of us!

Just a man with a man's courage
    He knows, nothing but a man
    But he can never fail
    No one but the pure in heart
    May find the golden grail - ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh

Flash!
    Yes, you read correctly, those are the actual lyrics.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Back on May 3rd, 2016, "Ted vs. Flash Gordon: The Ultimate Collection" was released on DVD ($29.98) and BD ($44.98) from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

This has both "Ted" movies and "Flash Gordon" collected.

This is a repackaing of existing discs (three in total), there is no new extra content.

I will say the cover art is quite whimsical and would make a nice poster. Can't be the only one who thinks this. Yes, I'm anal - so I bought this on release day. Why not?

What bugs me is that this release is weak on extras (Saviour Of The Universe Edition). Granted the movie is presented in remastered anamorphic widescreen with new 5.1 surround sound which is appreciated.

The bonuses are kinda related the kitschy motion picture.

The featurette on Alex Ross is nice, interesting. The interview with screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr. is informative. And the film's trailer which should be a default on DVD titles. Even bare bone releases. So I'm glad it's here.

The first episode of "Flash Gordon" 1936 serial ("The Planet Of Peril") is campy nostalgia. Okay, sure, I guess. By the way, where are Flash's man nipples?

Having a TV spot for the then new Sci-Fi Channel series based on the concept is all right.

But the series was so removed from the source; felt more like a crappy version of "Sliders".

That's it! No further bonuses.

There should've been MORE.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Hawkman Rocket Cycle Part II

What you see above is the "Silver Anniversary Edition" DVD, released by Momentum Pictures on October 10th, 2005 in the United Kingdom for £19.99. What's did we Yanks miss out on?

No DTS 5.1 for the feature film.

Missing are two commentaries; one by film director Mike Hodges, the second from co-star Brian Blessed.

Why?

It's been speculated that Hodges' anti-Bush and U.S. foreign policy mentions on his commentary was the reason why it was excluded. Don't know, could be.

Also not included is a half hour interview with Hodges. AND a slideshow of production stills.

The last bit is different - the "Flash Gordon" serial, the first episode of "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe" (1940), "The Purple Death".

Who's to blame for the weak extras on the region one DVD?

Asking a real question - not a rhetorical query.

Fine, in lieu of a target; I'm pointing my finger on Emperor Ming.

Mwahahahaha!!!

Just so you know, he likes Latinas; especially the ones with the painted eyebrows.

The movie came to Blu-Ray on June 15th, 2010 for $26.98 with re-remastered picture and DTS Master 5.1 audio. And carries the same extras; minus that Sci-Fi Channel series promo.

Not sure when, if ever we will get those commentaries.

One other bit; "The New Adventures Of Flash Gordon: The Complete Series". I own the DVD set from 2006 (came with slipcase).

Now quite out of print, the company - BCI Eclipse no longer exists. Bought mine from Circuit City which also no longer exist. I think I paid twenty for mine - on sale. Now it's going for from $318 to $405, new. Not kidding.

This was re-released on January 5th, 2010 from Mill Creek Entertainment as "The Adventures Of Flash Gordon", stripped of all extras and only presents the first fourteen episodes; thirty-two were made, two seasons.

Season one was good, the second was garbage.

I have fond memories of the pilot episode/movie. I had to snuck out to watch. [nods]

Back in the late 1970s, NBC used to air (filler) movies quite late, after "Saturday Night Live", 1:00am. This was one of them. A cartoon. I found out from reading in "TV Guide". I remember waiting until it was on, staying awake and sneaking into the living room with the television volume on way low, just barely audible. It made it forbidden.

Later it became a TV series later, also on NBC.

It was not "Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure Of All" which aired in 1982, this was BEFORE it was a series in 1979. Which was probably the most faithful adaptation.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Glitter on the mattress. Glitter on the highway.
    - The B-52's

Italian actress Ornella Muti as Princess Aura (with just a hint of something extra). Sway.

Man, she seems to be surrounded by glittery pastries or diseased pillows - can't say which is more bizarre.

Should you perv; there's a topless photo of Muti in her prime on the webs.

At a time when "Star Wars" and its spin-offs have inspired special effects men to bust a gut making their interplanetary adventures look real, "Flash Gordon" is cheerfully willing to look as phony as it is.
    - Roger Ebert

War rocket Ajax will be dispatched on August 22nd, 2016 to bring back the next PT.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - September 13th, 2016

Captain America: Civil War
    Exclusive steelbook; 3D BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

Star Trek: 50th Annversary TV And Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive store release; BD only $129.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 09/16/16

"Taking Back Sunday - Tidal Wave" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99

"A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations" exclusive store release with exclusive lenticular sticker $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - September 20th, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $22.99 (looks like it come with two masks)

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 9/23/16

"Airbourne - Breakin' Outta Hell" with exclusive bonus track and poster $13.99
    "Green Day - Bang Bang" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99

"Meliora - Ghost" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks and limited edition trading cards $11.99 (now available)

Credits
    Target - September 13th, 2016

Captain America: Civil War
    Exclusive digital content and 1 month free trial to "Marvel Unlimited"; BD only $19.99

Barbie: Star Light Adventure
    Free Star Light Adventure Pet with purchase; DVD $12.99 or BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 09/16/16

"Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Target - September 20th, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shredder
    Exclusive packaging and bonus disc (format unknown); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Neighbors 2
    Exclusive bonus content (whatever that means); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Beauty And The Beast
    Exclusive storybook packaging; BD/DVD combo $22.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 26th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

How well do you know your neighbor? Should you be paranoid? You might, if you lived in "Disturbia"...

The motion picture opened on April 13th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $20,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $80 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it remained number one.

The feature opened against "300", "Grindhouse" and "Blades Of Glory".

This release was case only, no slipcover issued, nor insert.

- - -

Two store exclusives; streeted on August 7th, 2007 - both were quite lite. One was genuine, the other was a trick - very misleading. *nods*

This was something I thought I had missed my opportunity. Did not know until days after the fact. Discovered from online message board. My concern was I believed I was too late. But I took a chance and went to my local store. They still had two copies, took one home. Sway.

Target offered a lenticular slipcover; sold on release day for $16.99. This was for DVD only. Sorry, I don't have the weekly ad.

Anyhow, this was an unadvertised exclusive.

This next is from Wal-Mart (same street date).

You see, I bought my copy originally from here thinking they had an exclusive bonus disc. The DVD came packed with this item behind it. The cardboard packaging is the same size as a DVD case, just slightly thinner.

Honestly thought there was a bonus disc inside.

No, it's not.

It's a cardboard case for a cardboard card that has a web address printed on the back of it.

I sh!t you not.

You're looking at that web page.

Yes.

I am.

That anal.

Took a screen snap that evening. Have no idea what that mobile content was, could be ring tones or such - maybe some wallpaper. There was something which I did downloaded.

It's a short clip of stars Shia LaBeouf, Sarah Roemer and director D.J. Caruso recording the start of their commentary ("Private Screening Intro_ipod.m4v"); run time of 5:11 minutes. The image above is blown-up, some, the original size was 635 x 321 pixels.

Why is here? I honestly don't know. The BD and HD-DVD releases do not have video commentary. Quite bizarre. Man, that's a great selection of goodies/candies for the commentators - I like me them gummies and Red Vines. LaBeouf, dude, what's with your hair?

What was paid for this craptacular Wal-Mart exclusive? I didn't write down the price and I can not recall, sorry. Lets say, it could be $15.96. But don't quote me on that. Oh yeah, that web address is long dead, I checked.

The movie was a blind purchase; it's a good, solid feature, part of my library, but I DO feel tricked into buy it here. There should've been a better description about what that exclusive actually was. As I understand, this was the last time they did that, misleading packaging. From that point forward they mention by sticker if an exclusive was internet related.

Sure - Best Buy also had an offer.

Purchase "Disturbia" and "Zodiac" DVDs for $30.00 together - must be the same receipt. *shrugs* Whatever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant/Tangent.

This is a great example of the girl next door, done right. Ashley Carlson (Sarah Roemer) doesn't feel out of place, nor so improbable as the would-be girlfriend/love interest. I like Megan Fox, but she's done films where her presence is so unlikely.

This was great casting of Roemer. She filled the bill right. It feels natural. This simple fact is often tossed aside for most movies; having the female romantic lead, reality based.

I appreciate the effort.

Actor David Morse did a good job as the killer next door. Not an over the top role, muted, but quite lethal. He seems like a friendly, fellow.

A better pix of Roemer - as Carly Davidson from "Fired Up" (2009), a fun popcorn flick about cheerleading; quite quotable with a reality based ending, not what I expected. See the unrated version, raunchy without being repulsive.

Why is that balance so hard to find?

Okay - lets start here...

The Rihanna song "Disturbia" has nothing to do with the movie. It came out the year after the film was released and was not inspired by it.

Got it? Good.

Next IS about inspiration - the 1954 feature, "Rear Window". Yes it's similar, hell there was even a lawsuit over it. Well...

Let me take a step back. The '54 film was based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich, published in 1942, "It Had To Be Murder". The Sheldon Abend Revocable Trust sued Steven Spielberg, the studio DreamWorks SKG, Viacom (the parent company) and Universal Studios for infringement. This is for the short story - NOT the classic Alfred Hitchcock movie.

They believed DreamWorks SKG did not get the intellectual property right to make the movie. And evaded compensation.

The suit was tossed out of court since "Disturbia" had elements like "It Had To Be Murder", but it also has various subplots that were not in the original Woolrich story. It came down to generality.

They got moxy, I'll give them that. Not discouraged, they tried again.

This time Sheldon Abend filed another suit against Universal Studios and the Hitchcock Estate. Why? They had agreements made in 1950s that the story line would be restricted - allowing "Disturbia" to happen was a breach.

I don't know the results. Just letting you know it happened. Yeah, I should do that as well - for Millennials...

"Rear Window" tells the story of a news photographer, L.B. Jefferies (James Stewart) who is in wheelchair because of a broken leg. A leg broken from being in direct line-of-sight of a speedway car crash. He did get the moment captured (race cars impacting in mid air).

It's Summer in New York, a heat wave; Jefferies' stuck in his apartment looking out his rear window for entertainment.

A reference point - television back in those days only had three channels; CBS, NBC and ABC, oh the horror! He passes time being a voyeur.

Things go from mundane and comical to homicide when he thinks he spots his neighbor from across the way, murder his wife. Genuine or a misunderstanding?

He becomes obsessed trying to uncover the truth - all the while confined to his room and chair. Jefferies recruits his girlfriend, Lisa Carol Fremont (Grace Kelly) to sneak into the suspect's home to find clues. Things get out of hand real quickly and has a confrontation with the killer.

Yeah, like "Disturbia", hence the lawsuit.

He has no weapons to defend himself when Death coming knocking. The only thing Jefferies can slap together is his vocation - photography; flash bulbs, blind his assailant - hoping help will come in time (seeing the flashes out of his home from the undraped window), that was clever.

This is for folks who have seen the '54 feature...

What the hell is Fremont's problem? I'm being dead serious.

The age difference between her character and Jefferies is pretty big; not like a younger woman with a maturer gentleman. Nope. There is a moment where Jefferies has his shirt off for a rub down, a therapist hired by his publisher's insurance company.

That's an OLD MAN chest - as in geriatric.

What kind of serious daddy issues does she have??? He pushes her away and she keeps coming back. That part of the movie weirded me. WTF?

Just so you know, Fremont is wearing that get-up (above pix) in 93-plus degree weather; folks in the '50s were made of a different stock.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Another shot of Roemer as Ashley...

Fresh from her pool, drenched. Yes, I'm a bastard.

Next Past Tense begins the annual "Limited Edition Horror", Halloween related exclusives all month long, a new entry each Thursday!

See you here on October 6th, 2016 for the stuff of sleepless night (more or less).
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - September 27th, 2016

Warcraft
    Exclusive bonus content; BD/DVD combo $19.99

Star Trek: 50th Annversary TV And Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive store release; BD only $129.99

Star War: The Force Awakens (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook with bonus disc; BD/DVD combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 09/30/16

"Temple Of The Dog" exclusive CD + Vinyl set $16.99
    "Korn - Rotting In Vain" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99

"Green Day - Bang Bang" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99 (available now)
    "Airbourne - Breakin' Outta Hell" with exclusive bonus track and poster $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - October 4th, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

Labyrinth: 30th Annversary Edition (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/7/16

"Alter Bridge - The Last Hero" with exclusive lenticular cover and bonus track $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part II

This is a quote from effects supervisor, Greg Nicotero from KNB FX (the same company that does the ghoul effects for AMC's series, "The Walking Dead").

George came up with a brilliant idea that I thought was just amazing. We shot zombie elements on green of just zombies walking past the camera. So, instead of having to trim an effect right down to the bare minimum he could, if need be, stick a zombie cross right in front of the camera digitally so that the zombie would obscure the effect just enough to make it less offensive. I thought that was a brilliant idea because then for the unrated cut you just remove that element and you got the big gag in all its glory.
    C'mon, animatronic puppets and real people in make-up were used for the effects. The limited CGI is a non-issue.

Another quote from Nicotero:

We're doing a lot of puppet heads; we're doing a lot of mechanical zombies. We're planning on doing a lot of stuff involving rig removal, where there will be guys puppeteering full body zombies, and we'll erase the puppeteers out of the shot so that you don't have to have digital zombies. You'll have a live zombie there, operated by guys - similar to the way that it was done in Army Of Darkness, except that was prior to the rig removal concept.
    Another issue; Kaufman's suitcase - full of cash, he took with him towards the finale. Why was money still being used? This bugged the hell out of me - no like that; folks NOT connecting the dots.

The tower was one of many safe zones humanity retook and fortified - society continues in inside. The basic need to buy, you need some kind of currency. It's not that unbelievable when you think about it.

The paramount complaints rests on one character, Big Daddy (Eugene Clark), the zombie. Many were upset with this suppose break in 'Dead' continuity because Big Daddy developed higher thinking/reasoning. Look, he is still an idiot, but King Idiot. The move is not in conflict with the franchise.

The first film had a ghoul (cemetery) using a rock as a tool to break the car's driver side window to get at Barbra. In "Day", Dr. Logan (Richard Liberty) was training Bub (Sherman Howard) to use objects and be docile. In "Dawn" there was that zombie who was far more interested in Flyboy's rifle than the living people behind the glass doors of JC Penny - in fact he carries that gun for the rest of the film.

Not so far out - given enough time, I do believe he would figure out how to shoot; won't have much aim, but he would be able to fire... just like Bub.

What is not realized is that the world belongs to the Dead. It is at best, a few hundred thousand living people on the planet, no more than that. And those are behind reinforced defenses.

What happens to the dead when there is no one to devour (very slow to decay)? They just linger about, then what? They're left to their own devices, fragments of memory to pass the time, as I wrote - no prey to hunt. They are left with bits of recognition (just as Bud gave that unrequested salute to Rhodes [Joseph Pilato]).

Look it it this way. We've all had times where we've tried to remember the name of a song or movie, can't quite recall. Frack it, I have other things to do and move on. But these things don't - nothing is going on; for days, weeks or even months. That tiny thought will linger and linger until the right synapse fires, a connection made.

It makes total sense that after X amount of time alone they start act on those memories. They're still imbecile versions of who they were, no changing that. But now they're more deadlier - using simple tools (and not that well).

Why is that an issue? As I wrote, Big Daddy is still a meat-head, a dog is probably smarter then he. But he's now more dangerous with that few additional digits of IQ.

By the end of the film they were no longer interested in the fireworks that had been used to distract them. The undead recaptured a bit of their selves. And that should be a scary. It's easier to think of them as mindless masses, not something that could open a closed door trying to get to your tasty warm flesh.

Something I didn't realize until researching; Eugene Clark was in the The CW series, "The L.A. Complex" (2012) as Walter Dougan. The complete series is on DVD.

- - -

The original script ended atop Fiddler's Green, the ghouls mobbing into the building. The remaining living board a helicopter (like the fall of Saigon), somehow the pilot is bitten and/or shot at, the helicopter crashes into a nearby building.

A bleak ending, which was like the conceived ending for "Dawn Of The Dead" ('78). Okay sure, in that unfilmed(?) version (still under dispute); Peter (Ken Foree) didn't make it out (suicide), leaving Francine completely alone. She decide to opt out and stands up on the moving helicopter blades, decapitating herself. The dead surround her and consume. The end credits roll, the final moment is shown, the motor sputter and stop. The chopper couldn't have gotten far anyway, low fuel.

Why not?

A bit more from the unproduced screenplay. It was Riley (Simon Baker) who was trying to buy his way into Fiddler's Green instead of Cholo (Leguizamo). Riley was secretly dating Kaufman's daughter. Cholo once again steals Dead Reckoning, threatening to destroy the sanctuary unless his terms are met. Kaufman (Dennis Hopper) makes a deal with Riley allowing him to move into the tower if he stops Cholo and crew. As with the movie, Riley and his friend Charlie (Robert Joy) are given soldiers for support, but it is unclear if they can be trusted.

The whole idea for Fiddler's Green has been gestating since the mid '90s.

A bit of the concept was talked about on the commentary for the 1996 special edition Laser Disc box set, "Dawn Of The Dead: Special CAV Collector's Edition - Director's Cut" (from Elite Entertainment; the Director's Cut is actually the Extended version of the film, a.k.a. "Cannes Film Festival" cut).

It was a three disc CAV set; streeted December 24th for $99.95.

We have holed ourselves in safety, life continued as usual, the dead were now a nuisance than a real threat. It was our complacency that was our undoing.

By the way, that LD commentary (Romero, Christine Romero, Tom Savini and Buster [Romero family dog]) is exclusive to that dead format.

It's too bad that "Land Of The Dead" didn't do well enough. Romero and crew were planning a new trilogy based on this installment. It never happened, instead he decided to reboot the whole situation with "Diary Of The Dead" (2007).

Should be noted that in November of 2005 it was report that due to strong sale in Europe and Japan, a sequel had been green lit. It focused on the surviving characters, Slack (Asia Argento) included - inside "Dead Reckoning".

It ended with our heroes on their way to Canada after the massacre at Fiddler's Green.

Don't know if a treatment of that adventure was written.

- - -

I do like the design of Dead Reckoning (which by the way was the film's original title). I like the fact that it didn't look brand new. It was assembled with various found pieces. A functional, real world based armored, offensive transport. This puppy is the tank I want, should I find myself in a undead world.

Do have complaints. We're lacking an important program from the special features; "Dream Of The Dead: George Romero" an IFC half hour, behind-the-scenes special that aired on June 15th, 2005 (was suppose to have aired June 12th, but didn't). It has yet to be released on any home video format. The documentary was by Roy Frumkes. For Romero fans the name is known. YES.

Frumkes was a teacher at School Of Visual Arts in New York in the 1970s. In 1977 - he wanted to make something for his students to see - the inner working of shooting a movie. Two possiblities that were to his liking, complex filming; Earl Owensby's "Wolfman" (1979) or George A. Romero's "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978). He chose Romero. This became known as "Document Of The Dead" shown exclusively to his students for quite some time until released on VHS in 1988.

Got a grant for filming, seven grand and shot on set - interviews; cast, director and effects master, Tom Savini plus just watching them filming various scenes at the mall when it raided by the biker gang. This was at a time when this did not happen, he made fanboys jaws drop. Unknown at the time, he recorded the making of an iconic horror classic. So here we were in 2005 and he went back to Romero to witness him filming the fourth installment of his franchise decades later. WERE IS IT?! The half hour doc should've been a given.

Second, I wish the film was longer. The theatrical cut clocks at ninety-three minutes, four minutes longer on Unrated. I wish this was two hours long. The extra time not so much about ghouls attacking, but life at the tower and the lives of the people on the streets below, that would be fascinating. The deleted scenes do cover some of the ground level life, but it's brief.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part III

Think about this - there is a whole generation there who have never known a world without the dead coming back to life.

I missed it the first time, the creators of "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004); writers Simon Pegg (left, star in the U.K. flick) and Edgar Wright have a cameo as zombies in the downtown bazaar attraction, 'have your photo taken with the dead'.

I had heard of about they're cameos, but could not figure out where they were, then the moment became so obvious.

Was never good at finding Waldo anyway.

A bit more...

Romero's daughter, Tina has a bit part - the soldier that shoots down the ghoul who walked into the electrified fence. Sway.

- - -

"Land" got banned in the Ukraine by the Culture Ministry in 2005.

Why?

In the 1930's the nation went through hard times, a tremendous famine, millions died - cannibalism happened. You can pretty much guess why it's banned.

- - -

The film got a single, one night re-release, the director's cut - shown in thirty-six theaters nationwide on October 17th, 2005, the day before it's home video release. Shown at Regal Cinemas, Edwards Theaters and United Artists Theaters.

The event had a taped interview with Romero (recorded on September 15th, 2005 in Toronto, Canada), "Conversation With Director George Romero".

I remember wanting to go see it, but none of those theaters were near me.

Was presented by Fangoria Entertainment. Man, finding that poster image was a pain in the ass.

That interview isn't on DVD. Above is from a tiny and short video from the interview; 00:00:43 clip. Internet mojo was good that night.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

I'm showcasing five Halloween suggestions for three weeks, since my last post (week four) will hit four days before Halloween - would be pointless; you should already have an idea of what to watch that night.

Most can be found in your local video rental shops. A very few can be found in stores. The best bets is to find them online, cheaply, through Ebay or from Amazon's resellers marketplace where you can purchase used/new DVDs. Or even at pawn shops.

Granted, some can be found on Netflix and such streaming services.

"Attack The Block" (2011)
    Lambeth, South London. A group of teens living in an impoverish neighborhood, create their own kind of entertainment; theft and vandalism. Their lives are changed drastically when an object falls from the sky, impacting a car. What the gang finds is a nocturnal creature, deadly and the first of many to descend from the stars; the invasion begins tonight. The teens take refuge in their twenty-five story rundown apartment. All their skills and audacity come to play as they become unlikely heroes. A horror comedy. A film worthy to be spoken in the same breath as "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004).
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2011 - R

"The Bay" (2012)
    A mockumentary. On July 4th, 2009 an epidemic occurred at Claridge on Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. Hundreds died, there was a cover-up. This chronicle is made up of various found footage (camcorders, cell phones, web cams and security video), digital evidence edited together by a local novice television reporter who was there when it happened. In short this is parasite feature, but reality based. The organisms in question are REAL, shown here as mutated from pollution (steroids among others). Much of what happens occurs off camera, just audio off a stationary video. Things start off slow and rush towards a bloody and creepy conclusion. This is an ecological horror movie. You’ll think twice about drinking tap water. Some hate this movie, others love it (I did), can't say where you'll sit.
    Lionsgate - 2013 - R

"The Crawling Eye" (1958; black & white)
    The mysterious deaths of two climbers (missing their heads, frozen below ambient temperature) brings a United Nations science investigator, Alan Brooks to Trollenberg, Switzerland. He visits the local research station, an observatory and meets Professor Crevett. The dead men and a strange radioactive cloud atop a nearby mountain might be related. Soon Trollenberg becomes covered in dense fog, there is something within; slithering, hungry, deadly and not of this Earth. A last stand is made at the observatory, humanity’s final hope. This movie appears to be the inspiration for the Stephen King novella, “The Mist”. This DVD is called the Widescreen European Edition.
    Image Entertainment - 2001 - NR

"Knights Of Badassdom" (2013)
    The crushing loss of his girlfriend (she dumped him) has Joe in the slumps. It is his two best friends; Eric and Hung who decide to save him by kidnapping the brokenhearted. Joe wakes up at a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) event, "The Battle Of Evermore". Joe himself, a former gamer is not in the mood for this nonsense. But goes along with it since his buds have put so much effort to cheer him up. What was suppose to be a fun weekend turn into a genuine odyssey. A real demon, a succubus was accidentally conjure by idiots who bought a grimoire online - thinking that it was a prop book. The unholy entity is murdering unsuspecting gamers. Realizing what's going on, Joe and his friends must save the day, be more than pretend heroes. A horror comedy. CGI was used to enhanced the effects, but for the most part this was old school visuals, man-in-suit.
    Entertainment One Film - 2014 - R

"Wes Craven’s Invitation To Hell" (1984)
    Made for ABC TV movie (aired May 24th, 1984). A scientist and his family move to a gated community, "Warm Springs"; they are invited to join the local health spa. The father is a government contractor, working on a proposed mission to Venus. His department is responsible for the space suits. Very fine membership print; sign up, you surrender your soul. He never joined, but his wife and kids did. In order to save his family he dons his suit and enter Hell itself through a portal at the spa. Not the greatest of movies, but the concept alone is reason to watch, deserves to be remade proper.
    Artisan Home Entertainment - 2003 - NR

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Sexy costumes for the ladies.

Thought Chucky and Scissorhands were clever genre icons to transform sexy. A nice touch having "Good Guy" printed on the overall, that was Chucky's doll toy line.

Just so you know, there's a porno called "Edward Penishands" (1991) from Video Team, Sikki Nixx as the title star. It spewed out two sequels; all three came out in the same year. Featured such lovely ladies as Bianca Trump, Madison, Angela Summers and Jeanna Fine to name a few. Was going to post the DVD cover (originally on VHS and LD), there's no nudity, but opted to play it safe.

Poor Edward did not have one for each finger. No, he didn't have hands period, just a single penile digit per wrist. That's so sad, not even opposable thumbs. *shakes head*

- - -

So? Who's that pretty dead girl?

Don't give me that look.

Above left pix; far left is director George A. Romero (glasses) with special effects maestro Greg Nicotero (blue shirt), pointing to her contacts.

Can not recall if she appears in the feature. The red head was in studio in full make-up for Romero and film makers to examine the effects for the feature.

It's possible she's not in the film.

She could be one of the staff at his workshop.

I would like to see her, minus make-up. *nods*

As mentioned last PT, this month you're getting one new Past Tense each week. Next week (October 13th, 2016) our dark delicacies is an American remake of a foreign flick.

One last bit...

Once again Asia as Slack. Argento is daughter of Dario Argento, renown Italian horror filmmaker. The guy directly responsible for "Dawn" ('78) getting made.

He paid George to write the script and flew him from Pittsburgh, PA to Rome, Italy with free lodging for him and Christine. Dario also co-finance the movie for the European release rights with his own edits; renamed "Zombi" with new music added by Goblin. The rest is history. Romero used existing library music (from DeWolfe) for his film, did not have the budget for an orchestra.

Before you ask... Yes, that's Asia's real tattoo - goes all the way to her crotch. I'm not into tats. Porn star, Teagan Presley got transformed into a biker chick with all her tattoos. Damn shame. That and breast implants, she didn't need them. Guy loved her because she was natural - was.

Okay more more.

"Land" was released on VHS on the same date, it sold for $29.98. People were still buying cassettes back in 2005. This was the R rated version - presented in full screen.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-01-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 11th, 2016

Ice Age: Collision Course
    Exclusive Trick Or Treat bag; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    (don't know if its on pack or separate)

WWE: Brock Lesnar - Eat. Sleep. Conquer. Repeat.
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $27.99

Ghostbusters (2016)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Alter Bridge - The Last Hero" with exclusive lenticular cover and bonus track $11.99

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast