"Lindsey Stirling - Brave Enough" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99
    "Idina Menzel - Idina" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99
    "Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99
    "Bastille - Wild World" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Barbra Streiand - Encoure" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $16.99

Credits
    Target - October 4th, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse
    Exclusive 1983 Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters Yearbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    Free select Smartfood popcorn with BD purchase

American Horror Story: The Complete Fifth Season
    Exclusive collectible cards; DVD $24.99 could be for BD too $29.99

Preacher: Season One
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $34.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 10/7/16

"OneRepublic - Oh My My" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "Norah Jones - Day Breaks" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 4th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

It's the Halloween season once again. Welcome to week one of Limited Edition Horror 2016! We kick it off with the dead who walk with a three part entry - George A. Romero's "Land Of The Dead"...

The motion picture opened on June 24th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $15,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 20 million during its U.S. theatrical run. When including foreign receipts, it made more than two times the domestic gross. The film opened number fifth at the box office, the following week it dropped to number ten.

The feature opened against "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith", "Batman Begins", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with a single insert, an advertisement. Side one was for Look For These Thrilling Movies!; "White Noise: Widescreen", "Van Helsing", "Dawn Of The Dead: Unrated Director's Cut", "Seed Of Chucky: Unrated And Fully Extended", "Shaun Of The Dead" and "The Bone Collector: Widescreen". The other side was for Universal monster, The Legacy Collection - first pressing; "Frankenstein", "The Wolfman", "Dracula", "Creature From The Black Lagoon", "The Mummy" and "The Invisible Man". Each include all the films in that particular franchise with special features. Quite sway.

I own the better 2014 re-releases; the originals (2004) were double side discs in a digipak. The re-releases have more extras including the bonuses from the three later "Anniversary Edition" in 2006 as well as corresponding "Abbott & Costello" features. These are presented as single sided with more discs in a standard case and textured slipcovers.

A side note, "Land Of The Dead" came in two editions, R which was full screen only. And the "Unrated Director's Cut" which I own and will be talking about.

- - -

The first exclusive was from Circuit City, a twenty-six page mini comic which was packed on the back the slipcase. This streeted on October 18th, 2005 and sold for $17.99.

It retold the opening, up to the downtown zombie cage fight. It was part one of five, a bigger official comic book adaptation. Released by IDW Publishing; written by Chris Ryall with art by Gabriel Rodriguez.

My comic is under the slipcase.

The other was from Wal-Mart and I use the word 'exclusive' loosely.

They had a two disc set - not like that. They had another title side packed with "Land", "Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation". It sucked. Out of curiosity, picked that up separately, a year later during one of their $3.99 DVD sales - a waste.

"Killer Compilation" is exactly its name. A collection of clips from horror movies, just clips. Not a documentary, just scenes from a bunch different movies; best-of-moments. What the hell was the point???

The WM price? Sorry. [shrugs] I didn't bother buying that arrangement and have no data in my archive.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

On Wednesday, April 27th, 2005, the teaser for the long awaited sequel to "Day Of The Dead" (1985) appeared online. Two days later it was altered. I was fortunate enough to download it the day it became available.

Official reason for the change is to prevent confusion over the images...

In 2004 Universal Studios released the Zack Snyder remake of "Dawn Of The Dead", a previous Past Tense (Part I and Part II). "Dawn" being the second film (1978) in the then George A. Romero Dead trilogy. Universal released "Land Of The Dead" for 2005. Not a sequel to their remake. Which could've been confusing to non-Romero fans, that's what they claimed.

But...

The first version showed footage from Romero's original "Dawn" and "Day". The later teaser purged those visuals in favor for ALL clips from the original "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968). Let's backtrack, sort out the confusion.

1968 saw the release of the film that changed the horror genre, "Night Of The Living Dead". Ten years later the first sequel was released, "Dawn Of The Dead". In '85 the next installment came out, "Day Of The Dead". "Night" was remade in 1990 by Tom Savini, a reboot. 2004 brought the remake of "Dawn", a stand alone film, not connected to the previous movies. The third sequel, "Land Of The Dead" came out in 2005. '05 also brought a stand alone remake of "Day", a low-budget feature, also not connected to the previous films. Understand?

It is believed (myself included) changes were made over copyright; Universal didn't have the rights to show those clips and inserted footage from "Night" since it's in public domain.

Original Teaser:

They're coming to get you Barbra...
    Footage from "Night" as a horde of ghouls slowly approach the farm house. Text - "In The Beginning One Man Made Us Fear The Night".

The unburied dead are coming back to life, seeking human victims.
    A clip of the now dead Karen Cooper (Kyra Schon) coming after her mother. Clip of Barbra (Judith O'Dea) running out of the farm house into the headlights of Ben's truck. Text - "Then Night Became Dawn". Footage from "Dawn", Francine (Gaylen Ross), Stephen (David Emge) and Roger (Scott H. Reiniger) on the roof of the Monroeville Mall looking down. Clip of the zombies moving about the parking lot.

The people it kills, get up and kill...
    Third clip, ghouls moving inside the mall. A quick snippet of the famous zombie elevator rush scene. Forth clip with one of the biker raiders with tommy gun surrounded by ghouls. Text - "And Dawn Became Day". Footage from "Day", the platform descending into the underground facility.

They have overrun us you know, we're in the minority now. This is a war...
    Two clips of the zombies in Florida, ghouls walking around. Final clip, Sarah's nightmare - dead hands coming at her through the wall. The end of opening.

- - -

Revised Teaser:

They're coming to get you Barbra...
    Footage from "Night" as a horde of ghouls slowly approach the farm house. Text - "In The Beginning One Man Made Us Fear The Night".

The unburied dead are coming back to life, seeking human victims.
    A clip of Ben (Duane Jones) looking at the ghouls right before entering the farm house. Snippet of zombies rushing forward. Clip of Barbra running out of the farm house into the headlights of Ben's truck. Text - "Then Night Became Dawn". A clip of the now dead Karen Cooper coming after her mother.

We don't know how many of them there are. Do you think we will be able to defeat these things? We don't really know...
    Clip of the now dead Johnny (Russell Streiner) grabbing Barbra though the boarded door. Clip of the ghouls entering the farm house. Text - "And Dawn Became Day". Clip of the ghouls attacking Ben. The end of revised opening.

When I say end of opening, I mean the teaser then went into footage from "Land". The revised teaser lost most of the energy that the original had, not to mention the huge sense of continuity. Too bad they had to change it.

Before you ask - no; neither teasers or trailer is included on disc. *sigh*

By the way, the teaser - first version was attached to "XxX 2: State Of The Union" (opened at theaters on April 29th, 2005).

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Land of the Dead is set in a devastated world. There's no electricity except for places inside the city where people are trying to live normal lives. That is their error... it goes back to the idea of ignoring terrorism and other societal problems outside your own door. They think, 'If we ignore it, we’ll be okay.' They’re forming small civilizations on their own, turning their backs, really, on the problems outside. That’s at the core of what the movie is about. The protagonists are the ones that have to go out into the dark side of the world to bring back food, supplies.
    - George A. Romero, director/screenwriter

Lets address the use of CGI in the film - computer generated blood.

As mentioned earlier, Romero had a budget of $15,000,000 (sadly this is the most money he has ever been given to make a movie). For the remake of "Dawn", Snyder had $28,000,000 to play with.

Above, George directing with actor John Leguizamo in the background.

If Romero wanted big moments he needed to trim some effects. Such as using squibs; the fake blood shots for bullets, they take time to set up and if they go wrong, you need to redress the actor(s) and do over. Money wasted as well as time. This is the new reality - fake blood gun shots. I accept it. Man, so many people were upset over digital squibs.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-22-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 11th, 2016

Ice Age: Collision Course
    Exclusive bonus disc (DVD); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    free select Smart Food popcorn with DVD or BD purchase (must be on the same receipt)

Ghostbusters (2016)
    Exclusive bonus disc; BD only $19.99
    free M&M (3.5 oz) or Starburst (8 oz) gummies - DVD or BD (must be on the same receipt)

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/14/16

"Kidz Bop 33" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Q Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on August 2nd, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Week two of Limited Edition Horror 2016 accidentally gets exposed to infectious bodily fluids in a "Quarantine"...

The remake of "[Rec]" (2007) opened on October 10th, 2008. It was made with a budget of $12,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 31 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "Eagle Eye", "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and "Appaloosa".

This DVD release did not come with a slipcover nor any insert.

- - -

There was a single exclusive and it was from Wal-Mart, a bonus disc in its own case (side packed with the movie). This set streeted on February 17, 2009 and sold for $22.99. The bonus disc has a run time of 19:21 minutes, a lone featurette.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

In Japan it's known as "Rec: The Quarantine".

For me, it was a solid/decent horror movie - NOT as bad as some would lead you to believe.

I think they're just sore that this got made with more money and received more popularity. Bitter. The same goes for Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza, the directors of the original movie. They hate it as well. It stole their thunder.

A point I do agree with is the terrible ads; the trailer and TV spots gave it away - a major plot point, reporter Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter) falters.

Hell, even the film's poster gives the finale away - same image used for the home video release. It's like the promotional department just stopped giving a crap. A prime example is "Terminator Salvation" (2009), the major plot point that dives the movie is revealed in the trailer. The VERY same thing happened to "Terminator Genisys" (2015). Frack me.

Why are you guys sabotaging your own movie? Not a rhetorical question.

One of the aspects I rather enjoyed was how there was no score - no music. The thing plays out like you're watching live footage. Only two times have I ran into that; the films, "Network" (1976) and "The China Syndrome" (1979) both have no scores. It's quite a rarity.

The staging of scenes as a continuous shot, feels genuine. Everyone needs to be on their A-game. These are long shoots between four to six minutes per take. Anybody who screws up or forgets their lines brings the whole moment back to zero. That's a lot of pressure to get it right the first time.

It's a stage play on camera. Sway.

Another part I liked was the single camera. The actors don't know when the thing will be pointed at them. So much of their performance isn't for us the viewer(s), but for the other actors to work off from.

Do appreciate the kind of commitment.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Have yet to see the original movie, "[Rec]" (2007).

I need to get that DVD. It's on my to buy list. So I can't give much of a comparison. But...

One of the issues some had with "[Rec]" is that our heroine (at the end) reads a document which has all the exposition on it. The whys and hows. No mystery left. The remake offers the info in distorted bits (the reel to reel tape deck that's broken) and images on the wall, an unnerving presentation.

The infection here is biological, a virus which was accidentally released by a terrorist in his apartment complex.

In the Spanish film, it was possession; research on the nature of demonic possession got loose - like a virus. Which is original, well not that new.

The biological infection of malevolence was explored in "The Creeping Flesh" (1973).

The year is 1893, Professor Emmanual Hildern (Peter Cushing) has returned to England with a discovery, bones of an unknown creature found in New Guinea. It is from these bones that he discovers that 'evil' is a blood disease. And set off to cure it.

Long story short, bad stuff happens on his quest for a vaccine. And he accidentally resurrects the Fallen One and now the beast is loose on Earth.

The movie still holds up; more of a fantasy than sci-fi, rooted in horror though. I have the DVD, the American release (2004) is bare bones. That same year, the United Kingdom got the feature with extras: a twenty-four page booklet, commentary by Cushing with film historian Marcus Hearn, film gallery and the movie's trailer. Plus other Hammer trailers.

The commentary is a recording Cushing made before his death in 1994, talking about his long career and this movie. His comments are spliced in Hearn's lecture.

Man, it's too bad this hasn't been re-released as a better DVD. I would re-buy it. The R1 (above left) release has three trailers (from Columbia TriStar home videos), but none for the movie and not even a chapter listing insert.

For some it's sacrilege to even say.

I HATE watching foreign movies with English subtitles.

If it's part of a film, a few scenes, sure. But a whole feature? No. I'll pass. I prefer dubbed, but correctly dubbed. None of this Godzilla kind of translation where the spoken words don't remotely match their lips.

That was one of the gripes of fan of the original film had, this remake was unnecessary - purists. But it is, folks don't want to read subtitles.

The best dub I've ever seen was for the Japanese film, "Azumi" - instead of doing a direct translation word for word, they took the spirit of the script. Replacing words with others which mean the same thing; having it match the beat of the person's mouth. This did not take away from the story.

I remember watching it the first time and being confused, 'I'm on the dubbed track, but she's speaking English'. I appreciate that kind of dedication to make the dialog fluid. I believe, I would've enjoyed "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2000) much more if that kind of adaptation was employed. Their mismatched spoken words pulled me out of the experience (saw on opening night).

Look, there's a second part to subtitles, cultural differences and it can be very drastic, like viewing an alien world. I know there are some who are enthralled by that - others repelled. I'm in the latter camp.

I'm going to use the same nation again, Japan. Yes, I know the original film ("[REC]") was Spanish. I listened to the original audio for "Azumi", holy crap, it hurts. Why do the women there need to be so high pitched? The same could be said for when I watched the original anime, "RoboTech" (1985). The authentic Lisa Hayes made me cringe.

It happened once more when I went looking for the original Korean film for the American remake "My Sassy Gal" (2008). God, I HATED the woman!!! The Korean guy was such a Butters for handing his heart to her, mega bitch. Probably a cultural difference at play, but I'm gland I didn't buy it.

People who watch movies, the base line folks, want to enjoy the production and should not have to do homework on why a person is behaving in such a particular way. Not mention national lifestyles.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 18th, 2016

Independance Day: Resurgence
    Exclusive 48 page book; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    Free select Smartfood 5.5 to 10.5 oz popcorn; offer to BD combo only

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/21/16

"Bon Jovi - This House Is Not For Sale" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $14.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Not Just For Bikini Areas Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 9th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Continuing with 2016's "Limited Edition Horror" we have a remake to a timeless horror classic. This week we outrun hot viscous fluid and those who wield it as death in the "House Of Wax"...

The motion picture opened on May 6th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $30,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $32 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $68,766,121. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "XXX: State Of The Union", "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", "Kingdom Of Heaven" and "Crash".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert or ads were issued.

- - -

There was a single store exclusive from Wal-Mart, a bonus movie - "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" (1933), the original that spawned the remake... well second remake (more on that in a few).

This set streeted on October 25th, 2005; side-packed with the remake. Sorry, did not buy this, nor currently own. The '33 flick was presented bare bones - no menu screen, it plays on loading, though has some chapters. Call this a novelty release.

I'm at a loss to tell you how much it sold for. A good guess would be $19.96; I'm judging the price by the two disc exclusive Wal-Mart had for "The Island", a previous Past Tense; that came out two months later on December 13th, 2005.

The bonus movie has a run time of 77 minutes and is a 2-strip Technicolor (muted colors) motion picture.

Bodies are mysteriously disappearing all over town, and a new wax museum has just appeared. Is there a connection? But of course! In this horror classic, Fay Wray (King Kong) stars as the intended victim of a mad wax sculptor obsessed by her resemblance to one of his prior creations.
    - DVD back cover

Bought my widescreen copy at Wal-Mart and saw that exclusive. I still remember. I thought about it, decided to pass. While this is an exclusive, it's redundant - the '33 feature was given an individual release. But if you own the DVD for the 1953 remake (which I do), you don't need it.

Yeah. If I were to run into this bonus, a yard sale or swap meet and it was going for a couple bucks... sure I would pick it up. But as a novelty.

Did some searching; Circuit City sold the film (widescreen shown) on release week for $14.99.

I'll make it quick...

Released in August 5th, 2003 in a cardboard snapper case (man, I hate those - too easily damaged) was "House Of Wax", the horror classic starring Vincent Price for $24.98. This was a flipper disc, Side A has the (first) remake. Side B has "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum". In fact, the stand-alone DVD simply ported the content of Side B - it has zero extras, just the movie.

The '53 movie was re-released in a standard case on November 3rd, 2009 (same disc inside). I need to get that, replace my cardboard copy. I'll get into the Price version in little while, but now I'm cover the 2005 rendition.

The DVD (Wax '05) came in two versions, full screen and wide. As I can recall, the exclusive was available for both editions. But I could be wrong, this was eleven years ago.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I can't stop my tears, I've never been so scared.
    - The Birthday Massacre

Man, a lot of people moan about Paris Hilton being in the film. I get the hate, but seriously why is this an issue? Or a negative? Her character Paige Edwards is killed early on. It should be a cathartic. Plus Paris has a bit part - just cannon fodder. This shouldn't be judged solely by her presence.

As for the rest, I thought it was good. There's a scene involving a foot that made me cringe. I brought my copy and watched it at a friend's house; we both winced. I've actually thought about that before.

It has just the right balance of gore and tension. And good pacing, but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, it's a Robert Zemeckis film, he was a producer.

I suppose the other reason for the hate are from Vincent Price loyalists.

It embraces the concepts of the original and went their own path. Different and familiar (too bad "A Nightmare On Elm Street" [2010] remake didn't follow a similar trail). Now, if this was a full remake of the '53 feature trying to be hip and pandering to a demographic. Yes. I would be upset too. I'm glad director Jaume Collet-Serra went with an original take, not a rehash. People should be grateful, could've been far worse.

And besides there was a pseudo remake, it was called "Waxwork" (1988) - do seek it out. A cool underrated horror flick starring Zach Galligan; the lead in the classic, "Gremlins" (1984).

These folks need to relax and enjoy. Filmmakers didn't take their beloved movie and turned it into torture porn. Part of the problem I guess is that it looks very gritty. The same color canvas that "Saw" (2004) utilizes. It's not very visually friendly. It's a dirty, run down and almost smells... as it should.

- - -

The film pretty much rests on the shoulders of Elisha Cuthbert as Carly Jones. She made a great 'survival girl'. Cuthbert is a capable actress and her character didn't fall into too many cliché. Carly wasn't some air head who needed saving. I liked that. She's in equal footing with her on-screen brother, Nick (Chad Michael Murray). She DID play Kimberly Bauer on "Twenty-four". Shooo, you cougar.

The year earlier she did "The Girl Next Door" (2004), which could've been a poor man's "American Pie" (1999), it wasn't - had heart and humor. This too is a previous Past Tense (Part I and Part II).

Released after "...Wax" was "The Quiet" (2005), a dark drama about incest. Elisha was a cheerleader, daddy's special girl. Check that out too; co-stars Camilla Belle, very easy on the eyes too.

"House Of Wax" is known for a disaster, a rather big one. There was a fire, an accident; special effect equipment and a falling candle caused a blaze that burnt down a studio, Warner Bros Movie World in Australia's Gold Coast. The feature was filmed Down Under. Which is fascinating considering how the film ends. A crew member was injured, burns to his arm.

This could've ended all too different. It happened on June 26th, 2004. Smoke from the inferno reached the highway nearby. But wasn't so bad that it didn't need to be shut down.

- - -

Changing gears. Lets talk about the Vincent Price classic.

It's a solid horror flick that mostly holds up today. There is that part in the middle where it lags, but not much. The other downside is the totally blatant - in your face 3D. The paddle man at the museum's opening comes to mind. The '03 DVD is a 2D presentation with some minimum extras.

Trying to remember; I vaguely recall, a local Los Angeles television stations (KTLA) airing a special, week long 3D movie festival at 8pm in the mid-1980s (they did a similar thing for Humphrey Bogart). "House Of Wax" I believe was one of those features. I probably saw it in 3D at the time, glasses from 7-11 or such.

But I don't remember it.

The 1953 film was remastered and released on 3D Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray combo on October 1st, 2013 for $35.99 (region free). There so far isn't any plans to release this on DVD, I'm disappointed.

Not the 3D; talking about the extras on the newer title.

The original DVD (identical to the 2009 re-release) had a spoonful of bonuses even including the extra movie. The 2013 BD has a running commentary by film historians Constantine Nasr and David Del Valle. They talk about the film and Valle's friendship with Mr. Price. It also has a 48 minute documentary, "House Of Wax: Unlike Anything You've Seen Before!"; interviews with today's filmmakers on it's lasting influence. This doc is not in 3D.

The rest of the extras on the BD are carried over from the DVD; footage from the '53 premiere (black and white, no audio), the film's trailer and the mentioned original/source film.

The Blu-Ray comes with a lenticular slipcover which mirrors the wraparound. And presents the beloved flick in full screen, the film wasn't made wide.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 28th, 2016

CDs

"Brett Eldredge - Glow" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99

"Bon Jovi - This House Is Not For Sale" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $14.99 (available now)
    "Barbra Streiand - Encoure" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99 (available now)
    "OneRepublic - Oh My My" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)
    "Norah Jones - Day Breaks" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)
    "Tory Lanez - I Told You" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99 (available now)
    "Kidz Bop 33" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense - Blood The Other Drink Part II

Tangent.

From time to time I wonder what could've been - the unmade Charles Bronson horror/crime flick. The Cannon Group project fell apart.

He's done a sci-fi/fantasy movie, "Master Of The World" (1961) and even a supernatural one with "The White Buffalo" (1977). Granted he did one other horror flick, 1953's "House Of Wax", but his role was minor. In fact he had zero dialog, played a mute.

There was however a horror vehicle in the works for him star in - Bronson was going to battle a legend - the clay man. Yes, that one. *slow nods*

"The Golem" was announced in the early 1980s with a screenplay by Michael Alan Canter (in reality it was just a treatment). There was even a trade ad in Variety for the production...

As you can see, a maquette of the head was made; no idea what scale.

It takes place in New York, a crime wave is hitting the Big Apple hard, especially in the impoverish neighborhoods. In one such place is an elder rabbi; keeper of the clay protector.

He is the last living member of an ancient secret society in charge of safeguarding the object; not falling into the wrong hands.

But with so much violence, some of which happened to him, he decided to use the Protector to save them. And so it went to work, murdering all those who are doing ill. The problem comes when the rabbi dies. Can't recall if it were natural causes or crime related. There was no word to rescind the order.

Now the Golem is running amok. It's up to a police detective (Bronson) to understand what is murdering all those thugs and how to stop it.

This was a precursor to the T-1000; it could travel through pipes as mud and reform to complete its task. I would've loved to have seen this and you know it would be badass.

Yeah I should, some could be in the dark.

Above is Bronson, he made a lifetime career of playing the tough guy who got sh!t done.

He really came onto his own in the 1970s and 80s, a middle age man who took names and bashed heads. He did not look like the stereotypical hero, but was the guy you wanted when in a serious scrape. A one man army, a vigilante.

Bronson did crime dramas, westerns and action movies. Some of them were so-so, but others were amazing.

I don't call this Tangent for nothing. *smiles*

There was another film with the Clay Man, "It!" a 1967 British semi-horror movie starring Roddy McDowall.

This tale involves McDowall as Arthur Pym, a timid, British museum assistant who becomes corrupted with absolute power. Pym uncovers the secret to controlling the clay statue to do his dark desires. Things escalate, resulting in a small nuke being used to bring down the soil automaton, which fails. And fails reason too - out running a nuke on motorcycle.

Man, that ending was stupid as hell. *shakes head*

Don't be so curious. It's a crappy flick; nearly embarrassing in its juvenile logic and wanting Pym to be this Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins in "Psycho" [1960]) wannabe. Like the motel clerk, he has his long dead mother in his home in a rocking chair. Why? It has nothing to do with the story being told. In fact, it's hinted since she was rocking that there was some kind of supernatural aspect at play. Which in terms of the Golem plot is true, but for Arthur's personal life...

No.

Anyhow, under this muck is a good film, better writing and losing pointless story lines. The Golem is a man in suit (Alan Seller), which is fine. But when he's not moving, you need a full size prop - not just having the guy under the make-up stand still which doesn't work since you can see him ever so slightly move/breathe. Plus have prop limbs for close-ups. You can see the rubber suit dent and wobble. But the overall look of the Golem is solid, it's creepy; created by Eric Carter.

There is another part that grabbed my attention.

And continues to this day.

Once Pym finds an inscription on the body, he takes a rub to a Jewish scholar to translate. First off, Arthur works at a museum; he should've known some department there to have it deciphered. Or maybe, just maybe this move was smart - covering his tracks for when he uses the clay brute. *shrugs*

This part - where the scholar (Richard Goolden) is concerned by what is brought to him, I enjoyed. You get a taste of what this could've been...

Arthur: You have it?
    Scholar: This is a most rare thing. I don't believe that you got it off some stone as you said. If I translate it for you, will you agree to tell me the truth?
    Arthur: [pause] Yes.
    Scholar: Very well. "He who will find the secret of my life at his feet, him I will serve until beyond time. He who shall evoke me in the 17th century, beware for I cannot by fire be destroyed. He who shall evoke me in the 18th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water be destroyed. He who evokes me in the 19th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water or by force be destroyed. He who in the 20th century shall dare evoke me, beware for neither by fire nor water nor force nor anything by man created, can I be destroyed. He who in the 21st century evokes me must be of God's hand himself because on this Earth the person of man existeth no more." Now, tell me. Where did you get this?
    Arthur: [long pause] I traced it off an old statue that came from Czechoslovakia. Does it have any significance?
    Scholar: Significance? That statue is the great Golem, believed to have been destroyed centuries ago. If it is still in existence. IF, I say. It is probably the most powerful force on Earth today.
    Arthur: More powerful than the H-bomb?
    Scholar: [scowl] A bomb is finished when it has exploded, but the Golem will go on and on... forever. Serving or destroying.
    Arthur: What do you mean, serving?
    Scholar: It will obey whoever places the magic scroll beneath its tongue.
    Arthur: Were does one get this magic scroll?
    Scholar: If I knew that, I would not reveal it to you. Power destroys.
    Arthur: Yes. I appreciate your help.
    Scholar: I fear it.

Think about that. *wicked grin*

It feel very much like that moment from John Carpenter's "Prince Of Darkness" (1987).

The possessed girl, Lisa (Ann Yen) - typing at her computer...

"You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

If this was a better production, it would be remembered as a classic. No, I'm serious. There's enough elements here that shine through the mess. NOW this is a movie that screams to be remade, done proper. Hell, keep it set in the 1960s; it ain't broke.

Another thing that kinda bothered me. How can the Golem understand Arthur? He's speaking English; should he give his commands in Hebrew???

Hey!

What if, Charles Bronson fought the "30 Days Of Night" vampires?

It would be amazing.

And yeah, I know there is a German silent movie on the subject "The Golem" from 1915; I have it on DVD from Kino International. There were two sequels, "The Golem And The Dancing Girl" (1917) and "The Golem: How He Came Into the World" (1920). "Dancing Girl" is considered a lost film.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was a sequel. Released on October 5th, 2010, a direct to video, "30 Days Of Night: Dark Days" ($24.96) which took place a year after the slaughter at Barrow, Alaska. That cover is pretty crappy, like it was the preliminary art that somehow made it to final because someone was asleep or too lazy, 'good enough'.

Actress Kiele Sanchez took over the Stella Oleson role. While I would've liked George to reprise her character, I'm not disappointed with Sanchez. As I understand she wanted to come back to the role, but George had a scheduling conflict.

Sanchez side note, I wish her former ABC series, "Married To The Kellys" (2003) would come to DVD.

I liked it, lasted one season.

Stella has moved to Los Angeles trying to get anybody to believe her claim that real vampires murdered her town folks, giving lectures. In one such lecture she exposes some vampires in the audience. But her reveal gets shot down by an FBI agent in league with the vamps. She then meets a group of hunters who tell her that the vampyre queen, Lilith is in town, ready to leave for Alaska. Together they go on the hunt to avenge their lost love ones.

The sequel was made for $3,000,000 (estimated) and is based on the comic book mini-series of the same name. Mia Kirshner plays Lilith; most remember Kirshner as 'Naked Mandy' from the first episode of the series "Twenty-Four" (2001). I know I do. Anyhow, "Dark Days" was a decent flick, I own it. Did like that the vampires were as nasty as the first film.

Next month starts a new theme; "Agitated Movie Month". Films that ticked me off, things could have been a lot better. Come back here on November 10th, 2016 for a movie that nearly killed a franchise, bring bandages, dusty ones.

Have a happy and safe Halloween!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - November 1st, 2016

Star Trek Beyond
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $19.99

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders
    Exclusive hardcover comic collection of 1966 and packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Outlander: Season Two
    Free $10.00 in reward certificates; DVD $24.99 or $29.99 BD - looks like the offer is for both formats

Credits
    Past Tense - Blood The Other Drink Part I

Limited Edition Horror 2016 concludes with a bloody bucket full of vampyre mischief in "30 Days Of Night"...

The motion picture opened on October 19th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $32,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 39 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" (3D re-issue), "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?"

This release originally came with a foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with an insert; ad for the graphic novel from which its based on and its printed sequels from IDW. The other side is an ad for various merchandise; action figures, lighter, t-shirts and hoodie from Gentle Giant Ltd.

- - -

The film streeted on February 26th, 2008; there were three exclusives.

Circuit City sold it with internet based extras (downloads); five desktops and AIM icons. I bought my copy here. Why? As you read above, this came with a slipcover. The former retail giant sold their exclusive with the slip for $17.99.

Oh yeah, the store offered a second insert; single sided sheet, the web location for the exclusive. I looked, nope, the link is dead.

FYE/Suncoast had the best of the lot; an exclusive a bonus disc (in a slim case) inside a cardboard slipcase. Cool huh?

Found out too late that afternoon, not that it would've mattered. I traveled to my nearest FYE, two towns away - only to find out it has been closed down. I hadn't been there in months. The last time I was there was for their exclusive to "Vacancy" (August 3th, 2012, Past Tense).

There was at one point a Suncoast in my local mall. But that too went out of business. I tired the next avenue, I looked online. But to add icing on this disappointment cake that exclusive WASN'T listed on their website - in store only. Just fracking great! I was bummed to say the least.

Since then I kept looking about Ebay for a good price, used. Years. I came close a few times. Once there was a seller who was selling just the exclusives - slipcase and bonus disc (with case). Perfect! No, it wasn't meant to be, I was out bidded at the last moment. It wasn't until July of 2011 that I finally got it. I paid twelve (including the three bucks for shipping). *nods*

The package was mint, very nice. The bonus disc has a run time of 24:41 minutes, but no menu screen - it just plays (a video diary on the making). This set also came with the movie which I already own (sold the extra copy). But the DVD did not come with the slipcover. I moved my copy with slip inside, fits perfectly.

When this set came out, FYE/Suncoast sold it for $21.99.

Lastly Wal-Mart had a weak exclusive for the motion picture. I apologize, do not know the price. I really tried, but both my archive and internet mojo has failed me. Lets say it was less than twenty bucks. They sold it, side packed with a hat, a skull cap. It came inside a DVD size cardboard case (same thickness). I passed on this.

By the way, this set also didn't come with the slipcover.

Do I want it now? I would like to have this exclusive (not to wear) to complete my collection. It's on my wish list, but not that high up.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Man, it had been a long while since there's been a good vampire flick.

These night crawlers were scary, not some sparkle wannabes; vamps. Plus the notion that these creatures are reality based, they don't transform into bats or fly or have capes.

It avoided many of the tropes in the genre. These guys are the stuff of nightmares, not romance novels with open chest and wavy locks.

I enjoyed Melissa George as Stella Oleson. She fit the role. She's easy on the eyes, but not too pretty where it takes you out of the movie.

I've spoken about this many times before.

And should be something that filmmakers keep in mind. Sure that actress may look hot, but within the world/tale you're telling, should she be?

Often the answer is - no.

A good example of "Whiteout" (2009), a decent flick; also based on a comic. *nods*

But lets be honest, Kate Beckinsale is way too sexy to be a U.S. Marshal, Carrie Stetko. The shower scene come to mind; the precursor moment above. *deep sigh* She is a lovely lady.

Okay, I'm talking about it.

I can not get too into "Dracula" (1979); Frank Langella as the Count. While it may very well be authentic, the women in the film are so homely. I'm not talking about having HOT girls, no - more like Ms. George. Pretty, but not so out of place; like Emily Blunt in "The Wolfman" (2010) or Heather Graham in "From Hell" (2001).

Am I being shallow, a sexist? Yeah, probably. Don't have a problem with that label. *oink* But had that happened I would've enjoyed that vampire flick more. Well that and actor Laurence Olivier (Prof. Abraham Van Helsing), he was so gravely ill making the feature and it shows. Every time he's on screen, it took me out. Man, he's dying, on death's door.

Another good example last month's entry, "Disturbia" (2007). The gal, Ashley Carlson (Sarah Roemer) is very pretty as the girl next door. She's doesn't feel out of place, nor so improbable as the would-be girlfriend/love interest. I like Megan Fox (I do), but she's done films where her presence is so unlikely.

While true, there are hot girls who have common looking boyfriends, but those are as rare as the elusive sexy fangirl. Like Alexandra Daddario in "Burying The Ex" (2014). It's a lesson I wish more movies would learn.

When I first saw "30 Days" I was drawing a blank; 'where did I see George before'? Took a little while, but it hit me - she played the murdered prostitute, May in "Dark City" (1998).

Left to right; director David Slade with actors Josh Hartnett, Mark Boone Junior and George. It may have taken years for me to get that FYE exclusive, but I do feel it was worth it.

It's a solid movie with a great cast who sell the dangerous situation they're in. And makes a great Halloween movie.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Credits
    Target - November 1st, 2016

Star Trek Beyond
    Exclusive collectible cards and bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Outlander: Season Two
    Exclusive coloring set; BD only $29.99

Bad Moms
    Exclusive eGift Card for $5.00

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders
    Exclusive... appears to be a steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

Credits
    Target - November 8th, 2016

Billions: Season One
    Exclusive packaging; DVD only $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 11/11/16

"Garth Brooks - The Ultimate Collection" box set with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $29.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 27th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This time out, you're getting a taste in your mouth, not to don't worry, the flavor won't linger, much - "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor"...

The third film in the "Mummy" franchise; not gonna to count those "Scorpion King" spin-off (turds) opened on August 1st, 2008. It was made with a budget of $145,000,000 (estimated) and grossed 102 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts (nearly four times the domestic gross). The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "The X-Files: I Want To Believe", "Wall-E", "Step Brothers" and "The Dark Knight".

I'm going to be talking about the "2 - Disc Deluxe Edition". This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with two inserts; an ad for "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor" the mobil game and digital copy instructions.

Something I hadn't noticed before; Brendan Fraser face on the poster - why does he look like a drawing then a photo?

- - -

As mentioned last Past Tense; November - I'm covering exclusives to films that upset me; every Hell won't say in place.

Welcome to "Agitated Movie Month"...

The movie streeted on home video on December 16th, 2008, there were exclusives. Bought this feature twice over and lost money.

The first was a pre-release, sneak peek disc from Best Buy. It was free and came in a standard DVD case; preview of TMTOTDE and "Hellboy II: The Golden Army". It was made available on July 22nd, 2008. The promo (for "Dragon") has a run time of 11:03 minutes.

You got an opportunity to get see "...Dragon Emperor", "The Incredible Hulk", "Wanted" or "Hellboy II" for free - if you bought a Best Buy title, part of a specific $5.99 DVD sale (twenty-two releases); came with a certificate code. The online theater voucher (e-Movie Cash), a $7.50 value was for one; window was June 13th, 2008 to October 26th, 2008.

Best Buy offered an exclusive lithograph for either version (single or two disc), $15.99 or $22.99. There were a minimum of fifteen lithographs per store. I don't own this nor do I have a picture of it. I apologize.

I made an effort to pick up that lithograph on release day, but they wanted five dollars for it if I didn't purchase the DVD. And I didn't think it was worth it. Now? I would like to own it as a collector, impossible to find now. *holds head in shame*

One of the final exclusives that came from Circuit City was a mini-CD-ROM (iActiveCard, a bit wider and shorter than a business card in size); browser based games. This was only available on the single disc edition and sold for $22.99. It was sealed inside the case - inside a clear sleeve with printed instructions.

Place card face up in the inner ring of the computer tray. Close tray for auto-launch. For laptops, snap card on spindle and close tray for auto-launch. Win-Mac compatible. Warning: Not compatible with slot loading CD drives, video game consoles or DVD drives.
    Access is nearly gone for most. I have an older computer than can boot-up Mac OS 9. That's was how I able to run and take those screen snaps. Before you as, not sure how rare that card is.

This is where my second copy was form.

Have since moved mine into a three disc case so that the card has its own nub holder.

Lastly was a bonus disc from Wal-Mart, this was also only available on the single disc version and sold for $19.98. The run time is 43:47 minutes (not forty-five as advertised).

Sold my extra on Ebay, it didn't sell well.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*deep sigh* Let's be honest. This is crap on a cracker. While it did make a profit at the box office...

it is the sequel that killed the franchise.

Nine year later before another comes out - a full blown reboot.

"The Mummy" stars Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Sofia Boutella as a female mummy (probably best known as Gazelle from "Kingsman: The Secret Service" [2014]).

How terrible does that costume look? *shakes head*

As it stands, it has a June 9th, 2017 release date. The redo is set in the present by the way.

I don't have a problem with a female mummy. Women can be just as vengeful as men. I do have a problem with how cheap the costume looks. And with the tale set in the modern day.

Stories like this is about exploration - while the world was still new and uncharted. It should be in the late 1890 or early 20th century.

The story follows a Navy Seal, Tyler Colt (Cruise) and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists hiding out in a bunker. Things go bad when a mummy is unleashed. Ain't that always the case?

But there's a twist!

Russell Crowe is playing Dr. Henry Jekyll. Yeah, Mr. Hyde will be making an appearance. Man, Universal desperately wanting a share cinematic universe for their movies.

I don't like that, c'mon, just make a better sequel. Is it that so hard? The remake is directed by Alex Kurtzman with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts and re-writes by Dylan Kussman. At one point Len Wiseman was attached to direct; director/writer/producer of the "Underworld" films.

Frack me. What is so foul about having a sequel? Has it become such a dirty word? Reboot. Reboot. Reboot! Wiseman by the way, directed the remake of "Total Recall" (2012). *sigh*

- - -

Anyhow, I wanted this to be a popcorn flick, like the last one, "The Mummy Returns" (2001) - while not as good as the first, was enjoyable. Man, I got mad watching this. WTF?

Why are yetis giving each other high fives (explain this to me). Why does Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford) speak like he's an adolescent? This man is suppose to have been educated.

Oh yeah, what the hell is Emperor Han's motivation? Jet Li might as well have had a mustache that he could twirl whenever he's on screen - 'see I'm wicked'. And a black hat just to make sure those who are stupid and/or ignorant will know, he's the bad guy.

The first two films had Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) who was this badass. You knew he was dangerous. He wanted to resurrect his lost love, Anck Su Namun (Patricia Velasquez) by any means necessary. You can't reason with him. He was powered by love.

I am sadden that they replaced Rachel Weisz (above right) with Maria Bello as Evelyn "Evy" Carnahan (or rather now married, Evelyn O'Connell). It took me out of the film ('that's not Evy') and her fake British accent was Saturday morning cartoon quality, plus she did not have the same chemistry with her co-star as Weisz did.

Why was she absent? Weisz hated the script. She opted out. Plus at the time she was a new mom and didn't want to be in China for the production, away from her baby. I get that. I do. Filmmakers should've tired for a better Evy, not a discount store version with Bello.

Why did this suck? The use of the animated Terra Cotta figures feels like a missed opportunity. There should've been more of a threat, not as scenery.

This thing can be summed up by saying, 'stupid actions by all to advance the paper thin story.' The plot twist was lame. You could've seen that a mile away. Woh! Zi Yuan (Michelle Yeoh) is centuries old and fought Han into his curse. Color me surprised - NOT.

This had very few bright spots. One of them was actress Isabella Leong as Lin. But her scenes with Alex made me cringe; is he retarded? Their scenes should be shown at acting classes, what not to do, so awkward.

What should've been was a spin off franchise.

This film as bad as it was - did lay the foundations for something greater.

Rick (Fraser) and Evy worked as spies for The Allies during WWII. That's where to go. It doesn't have to be another "Mummy" movie.

Do another with those characters in an action, period spy flick, it could even be supernatural. Why not?

Lots of people were saying the first movie was like Indiana Jones, embrace it. *nods*

Come back here on November 24th, 2016 for more contempt with a sci-fi classic that should not been not disposable. WTF Spielberg!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - November 15th, 2016

Finding Dory
    Exclusive activity book; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $49.99

Rush: Time Stand Still
    Exclusive store release; title available 11/18/16; $19.99

Free Minon Mittens with purchase of select titles

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 11/18/16

"Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 25th Anniversary" with exclusive vinyl album $16.99

Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast