Smurf: The Lost Village
    Exclusive bonus disc (format unknow); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 7/14/17

"Kidz Bop - 35" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99

Credits
    Target - July 18th, 2017

Kong: Skull Island
    Exclusive bonus content (on the BD) with lenticular packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available 07/21/17

"Lana Del Ray - Lust For Life" exclusive poster $11.99

Credits
    Target - July 25th, 2017

Ghost In The Shell
    Exclusive packaging and BD bonus disc; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Boss Baby
    Exclusive talking keychain; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Naughty Science Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on June 4th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Are your intimate delights shared? Or are you on the fringe? Find out in "Masters Of Sex"...

"Masters Of Sex: Season One" was released on home video on June 24th, 2014.

It streeted against "The Boondocks: Season Four", "300: Rise Of An Empire" and "Lost Girl: The Complete Fourth Season".

The DVD did not come with a slipcover, but the Blu-Ray edition did. This originally came with single, one sided small insert, an advertisement for the show's second season on Showtime.

It's so weird, Michael Sheen looks like actor Giovanni Ribisi in the poster. Dude, shouldn't you be helping Sky Captain?

And yeah, that's a great promo poster.

- - -

Welcome back to "Master" month - bring your lollis and loose change. Why? 'Cause I probably need that change and would like some candy. Don't try to understand.

This particular had one exclusive and a freebee. How great depends on what you consider more important to you.

Target had an exclusive bonus disc; this DVD was available for both editions. The set sold for $29.99 (DVD) and $34.99 (BD).

The disc came in a white CD envelope inside the case. It has a run time of 11:22 minutes, presented in widescreen.

Best Buy offered a free $5.00 gift card with purchase; $31.99 for DVD or $36.99 for Blu-Ray. As you would expect, I didn't purchase here. In fact, I almost didn't get my copy...

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

At the time; my car was having power issues, turns out the clutch was dying. An expensive repair, but far cheaper than going to a shop.

It pays to have family friends who can fix cars - especially ones who used to be mechanic. It took three days to mend (mostly getting the right parts); Sunday to Tuesday at my home. He made a house call. I am most grateful.

So I wasn't focused on any titles that week. I just wanted my car back. It's depressing without wheels, mundane things like getting groceries becomes a chore; only the things you can carry.

It gets fixed, Tuesday afternoon. Drove it around, gave it a workout. Yup, done. Thanks.

Oh hey, Target has the cheaper deal on the two disc DVD edition of "300: Rise Of An Empire", one dollar cheaper than Best Buy's tag - which I didn't own at the time.

A dollar?

Well it's a savings since Target is far more nearer to my home than Best Buy - so overall milage and discount IS an advantage.

I get there and pick up their weekly ad and flip through it.

WTF?

Tiny text under the entry: "exclusive content".

Frack me.

Somehow I missed this exclusive - knowing in advance and planning accordingly. So "300" got put on the back burner (which I did get, that year's Black Friday at Wal-Mart). I want this title more.

So there I am at the shelves - new arrivals. The spaces reserved for season one is empty; DVD and BD. I look for help; asking if there were more copies? I did check their TV section first, making sure they didn't have additional copies here (Best Buy does that). Nope.

The woman I spoke to said, they got ONE COPY (DVD) with the bonus disc. And that they have another shipment the following day. There may be a restock, but since it's an exclusive, quantities may have all ready sold out.

Joy.

So I return the next morning. Yes. They did get more copies of season one. A total of two of them with the bonus disc - one for each format. I snatch it up the DVD. I'm sure they're were disappointed customers who didn't come in that morning before me.

How rare is this?

Do not know, but Target stores were random. Reading online; some on release day didn't carry it at all; others had a few copies, but no exclusives. And like mine, if they did it - just a couple of them.

That kind of stocking isn't out of the ordinary for them.

The store has a history of having quite limited exclusives. What comes to mind is "Across The Universe" DVD sets, few stores got that 2008 exclusive book, "The Rough Guide To The Beatles". It has various band information and lots of photos. Mine store did not. I did the same, came back the next day. Nope, same conclusion - squat.

My Target never got the exclusive by the way. *shakes head*

I still don't have that item, it's on my want list.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

"Masters Of Sex" takes place in 1956 (or rather starts). That got me thinking of other TV period dramas; good ones.

There have been quite a few...

Shows like "Mad Men" (2007; the gold standard), "Boardwalk Empire" (2009; previous PT), "The Playboy Club" (2011), "Pan Am" (2011), "Magic City" (2012) and "Halt And Catch Fire" (2014). And yeah, that's a great poster image for "The Playboy Club". *smiles*

I remember the outcry over ABC's decision not to have any smoking in their series - portraying a sanitized version of the 1960s with "Pam Am". It didn't hurt the show, but that absence didn't help either. If you're gonna do a period program, why would you not show that? That's like doing a cowboy series with all the indians conveniently absent.

Yes, there are more period shows (some airing now), but I'm limiting my showcase (mostly) to the mid 20th century, forward.

Of all the shows, the one I'm most sadden over its cancelation is "Magic City". Don't get me wrong, I love "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire", but they got to stretch legs and we saw their majestic horizons. "Magic City" was cut just was it was making its stride. Things got real at the conclusion of season two... then no more. Damn it.

Going back to HCF for a moment.

The first time I saw actress Mackenzie Davis (from "Halt And Catch Fire") was "The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson"; June 27th, 2014. She's quite a playful gal. Reminds me a lot of Keira Knightley. Davis wore a low hemmed, sun dress and Craig gave her a twirl before sitting down for the interview.

You can imagine what happened next. She had biker shorts under that in case you're curious. You perv. *smile*

Man, I miss you Ferguson and Letterman.

The show's title refers to a code HCF, which could can brick a computer.

Yup, these are random bits.

Something I didn't know at the time; there were talks for a second season of "Pan Am" having Amazon picking up the show for their new streaming service. Too bad, would've been nice.

The former series stars a pre-famous, Margot Robbie. The current, It Girl; she's the one on the far left of that promo poster image.

I recall the moans from "The Playboy Club"; folks complained that Nick Dalton (Eddie Cibrian) was a pale imitation of Don Draper (Jon Hamm) from "Mad Men". I didn't feel that. Both men are smooth talkers, players as it were. But not much beyond that. What were they expecting?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-27-2019 at 06:19 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - July 30th, 2017

Spider-Man Legacy Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $39.99

Credits
    Target - August 11th, 2017

CD

"Kesha - Rainbow" with exclusive t-shirt $15.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on June 26th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Gotta ask yourself; have you packed enough rolls of toilet paper for when you get caught - "Under The Dome"?

"Under The Dome [Season One]" was released on home video on November 5th, 2013.

It streeted against "White House Down", "Mad Men: Season Six" and "Parkland".

This originally came with a cardboard case (not card stock like most season sets). It opens nearly in half, inside is a digipak holding the four discs. There were no inserts. The digipak held the episode guide (without air dates) and bonus listing. It was later re-release in a standard DVD case.

The box reminds of the packaging used for "Dinosaurs: The Complete First And Second Seasons" (2006, Buena Vista Home Entertainment); in that case, you had to be careful grabbing or the package would separate - causing a disaster and damage (nearly happened to me on three occasions). It's different here since the dome over the town, a half circle on the lower part the package overlaps the top half.

So you can get a good grip on the box.

By the way, the dome on the front cover is glossy, the rest is cardboard. It should be noted that the set does not say 'Season One' just the title. I'll get into that possible answer in a few.

- - -

There were two exclusives for season one.

Target offered a six postcard set (in a cardboard pouch/envelope). This offer was available for DVD ($29.99) and Blu-Ray ($34.99) editions. Above, right is the front of that pouch.

This collection was packed on the back of the box; the pouch's back, mirrored the box's rear, same size.

The cards are kinda small, measuring 4" x 6" - each are connected, perforated.

I haven't separated mine, I'm anal.

The far right image is their rear - identical to each.

Did not buy my copy on release day. I was busy picking up season six of "Mad Men" and another title.

What happened was pure luck or perhaps reflects consumer interest.

More than a month passed; my store still had a couple copies of that exclusive. Bought mine on December 22nd (2013) on sale for $24.99. Did I not say I'm anal?

That kind of good fortune doesn't happen often, stores get a limited number of copies.

Amazon had a 'Limited Collector's Edition' Blu-Ray set which sold for $99.99 on street. This was advertised on the show. Above, top is the early image, below... the final product.

I was wondering when I first saw it, if that was an aerial photograph with maybe some photoshopped 3D elements inside. Nope.

The final product looks weak as hell; far too cheap for a hundred bucks. Yeah, I see the half cow in there.

I'm not into BDs, but if I were, I would stick with the regular edition. Man, that's the definition of gimmicky packaging. The kind of stuff you would expect to see a cheaply produced, whimsical thimble collection - not detailed, just enough to get the point across.

Let me repeat, a hundred dollars.

By the way, Lenox released detailed and expensive thimbles series; cottages, castles and bird houses. Don't look at me that way, I like what I like.

You had to buy each item separately. And if you wanted, you could purchase the display rack.

Money: Some will blow it on hookers and drugs. Some on well crafted thimbles.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Something here is very strange, something here I can't explain, something that I know is true.
    - C-Spot Run

There have been three woes that keep on resurfacing. All have a very simple and logical explanation, but remain a thorn for so many viewers.

Why is there wind or for that matter rain inside the dome?

*sigh*

Wind is generated on Earth by differential temperatures. Hot air rises, cold air falls - it creates airflows as an equilibrium tries to form; depending on how intense these localized agitations become; we can get a nice breeze to a destructive hurricane. Basic physics still work inside the dome; heat rises, cold sinks = wind.

Any large (and I mean huge) structure can create their own evaporation cloud just as the Earth does. As heat rises so does water vapor. As these water particles cool, they form droplets. These droplets fall once they get too big - gravity and it rains, basic physics. Source?

Remember that the force field covers ten miles and includes a chunk of the nearby lake - evaporation.

It has rain inside the Astrodome in Houston, TX. Water coming off the regions' high humidity, it can get trapped under that dome. The stadium's air conditioning remove excessive heat and moisture from the air - just like your home unit, which is why AC machines have drainage in the rear.

It rained in the Astrodome on July 30th, 1972, blame poor air conditioning.

No mystery here, there is wind and rain in the dome. Get over it.

And the third, 'why don't they run out of air?'

This makes me want to pull out hairs... Chester's Mill is largely an agrarian town, surrounded by dense vegetation (forests and farm lands).

It's called photosynthesis. Frack me.

- - -

Surprised that few people have talked about the earlier incarnation - not "The Simpsons Movie" (2007).

The 1966 (December 21st) 3-D, theatrical feature "The Bubble"; later retitled "Fantastic Invasion Of Planet Earth" in 1976 for its re-release (edited from 112 minutes to 94 minutes; and later once again to 75 minutes for home video release on VHS). United Kingdom re-release poster above.

It starred Johnny Desmond, Michael Cole and Deborah Walley as young couple with their pilot (Desmond) who are traveling by small airplane, they run into a storm and forced to land. Not just because of bad weather, but also because the woman is quite pregnant.

The trio find themselves suck in a town that's been covered by a giant force field. Making the matter worse is the town folks acting like robots, under a trance. Yup, aliens. When they're not probing your anus they're erecting invisible domes over towns. Leatherheads, get a better hobby.

The non-seen entities (yeah, a total cop out) are forcing the residents to manufacture food for them in retrofitted factory. I saw this on TV back in the 1980s; what I remember was them going into a mine and trying to dig out. It goes down deep, real deep. Can't recall the conclusion, the why or how, but they do get out (the pilot was killed by the aliens, pulled up into the sky).

Don't bother with it. This was an effects movie; all about shoving things into your face with 3D, thin on story. I still recall being bored watching this, great concept - poor execution. Ha! That's what some are saying about the series.

Anyhow, you can find the film's trailer on YouTube. I could say, 'judge for yourself', but that would be a lie. The trailer doesn't show any footage - it just talks about how great the visuals WILL be.

It's on DVD from Rhino Home Video (October 5th, 1999), but the shorten version. The case reads 112 minutes, no it's not. It does present the film in 3D with a two pair of glasses. It came out in a cardboard snapper case with zero extras.

Or if you like, it's also on 3D Blu-Ray; release from Kino on November 18th, 2014 for $34.95; presentation in mono. It comes with the 2D version, restoration featurette, a gallery, excerpts of a deleted scene (from the screenplay), trailers and an essay on the film by Bob Furmanek in BD-ROM.

- - -

Why doesn't the box say 'season one'?

I think the outer packaging was done before CBS' final decision.

"Under The Dome" (based on Stephen King's 2009 novel) was intended to be a limited run series (thirteen episodes); beginning, middle and end. With an option to continue (depending on the ratings) for a second season. It did well enough and became not self-contained.

Did they film that finale? By the way, the novel, the whole situation and resolution happens in a single week.

A side note, folks complained about the 2014 paperback edition. The publisher, Pocket Books broke the hardback (1,074 pages) into two parts - forcing folks to buy the book twice over ($8.99 each) to get complete story.

And there you go; come back here on August 24th, 2017 for a season two exclusive. Yeah, don't get excited. See you then.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-27-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - August 15th, 2017

Alien: Covenant
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $21.99
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $26.99

Stan Lee's Luck Man: Season 1
    Exclusive store release (DVD) $19.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 1 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $24.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 2 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $24.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 3 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $29.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 4 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $29.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 5 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $34.99

Game Of Thrones: Season 6 (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $34.99

Credits
    Best Buy - August 22nd, 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/3D BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Ash Vs Evil Dead: Season Two
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $30.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season

Credits
    Target - August 15th, 2017

Alien: Covenant
    Exclusive 36 page book; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Credits
    Target - August 22nd, 2017

Exclusive bonus digital content; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 9th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

So you are trapped with dwindling supplies and you DID pack enough toilet paper - but do you have enough deodorant for your extended visit... "Under The Dome"?

"Under The Dome: Season 2" was released on home video on December 9th, 2014.

It streeted against "Band Of Brothers" (re-release), "Guardians Of The Galaxy" and "The Jeffersons: The Complete Series".

Just as season one, this originally came with a cardboard glossy case (not card stock). It opens nearly in half, inside is a digipak holding the four discs. There were no insert(s). The digipak has printed episode guide (without air dates) and bonus listing.

Man this is just as easy to screw up as season one. You have to be careful opening and handling or the digipak will slip out of the case and spew the discs on the floor. Looks nice, true, but it could've been designed with a safety measure, maybe a flap with a magnetic latch or velcro dot.

The above image is a cheat; a promo for season one. I tired searching for a season two promo image and couldn't find one. How odd.

- - -

There was only one exclusive and it sucked.

Best Buy offered an exclusive bonus disc for both the DVD ($36.99) and BD ($42.99) versions.

This bonus disc was only listed in their print ad which didn't go into details, as you can see above.

And their website completely ignore it.

The exclusive came a larger than normal printed CD sleeve that came inside the box. Content? Two premiere episodes; "NCIS: New Orleans" (aired September 23rd, 2014; seven chapters) and "Scorpion" (September 22nd, 2014; six chapters). Two series I have no interest in. Above is the menu screen; a run time of 83 minutes. Both are presented in widescreen.

Quite sad; network TV time. Both have a run times of 41 minutes and X seconds. I remember when hour long programs had run times of 52 minutes (1980s). Did some minor math; currently commercials consist of 31.7% of show time. It used to be 13.4%; quite proud of myself, haven't done that since high school. *smile*

The bonus has NOTHING to do with the show. Unless you want it, then no; I would not bother trying to find this exclusive. Bought since I was there, but am disappointed.

On the surface "Scorpion" might be something I would like, but it panders shamelessly. Like the creators went to a board and attached as many stereotypes as possible on Post-Its. Once done said, 'genius!'

My store had two copies for each format (that morning). Don't know if this was just my store or if this item is that rare. Not that it matters.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*sigh*

I don't have a big problem with the new girl, Melanie Cross (Grace Victoria Cox), but lets be real - she can't act. Cox is passable on screen. I know this was her first TV job and was theater actress.

Man, what sticks is her trying to be all serious and dramatic, saying "Oh - My - God" under her breath. It was laughable. She must be Audrey Timmonds' kid; yeah I made a 1998 "Godzilla" joke.

Give it a minute fanboys, the reference should become apparent. Hint, 1998 big budget turkey.

- - -

I'm glad they found a realistic and quite plausible reason why Big Jim (Dean Norris) wasn't incarcerated or killed this season.

The BEST villains are the ones who truly believe they're doing good - 'if only the public could understand'. And James Rennie is that foe. He's the bad guy you root for. And his last kill before the conclusion of season two's finale was understandable. Holy crap that was so harsh. Hammers, not just for nailing.

The end of season two give his character a possibility of redemption - to be that hero and save his town. But you know it will go down twisted - which it did. The series epilogue is so Rennie.

- - -

On the featurette, "Stephen King & Season 2"; King dropped a bombshell...

There has always been an element in my work of magik portals; supernatural or super-scientific opening into other worlds. In "11/22/63" [2011 King novel] it's a portal into the past. In the "Dark Tower" books, which "Under The Dome" relates to - in the TV version; it's doorways into our world from the world of Roland the gunslinger. So it's a very interesting plot twist.
    Which means Chester Mill is set the same universe as Bridgton (both locales are in Maine). Sway.

The town where a portal was opened by the military, spilling nightmare creatures into our realm. The novella and later movie... "The Mist" (2007; a future Past Tense). Also known in the "Dark Tower" universe as Thinny.

Oh my, the possibilities.

- - -

I have major complaints about season two...

1) They killed off one of the hot girls and replaced her with Melanie Cross. The murdered girl DID move the story forward, I'll give them that. But it's a shame, she was pretty important to the tale being told. We did get her back in phantom form for an episode.

2) Once again we are given a shorter than normal season, thirteen episodes. What worries me is that Networks will look at this number as normal and give us limited seasons. I can understand why this happened for season one, it was intended as a short, self-contained series (with the option of going to year two).

We should've gotten a full season, twenty-two episodes. Hell, even that is shorter; TV shows used to have twenty-four programs per season (a number only applies now to half hour sitcoms).

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

I enjoyed the Rebecca Pine (Karla Crome) character; created by King himself (not in the source novel). She was just right, not too pretty. That is, having an actress who feels so out place as her character. I've written about this before; someone like Megan Fox or Alexandra Daddario in a lab coat, named Dr. Scientist, not all that believable. Or Tara Reid with a monocle pretending to be an aristocrat, that only works as a comedy and probably not well.

Another example is the above exclusive; pilot episode of "Scorpion" - the character of Paige Dineen (Katharine McPhee), the waitress who helps the team. She looks like a runway model with perfect hair, her diner uniform is immaculate - unsoiled, unused; fails believability. Paige should look a bit grungy with a wrinkled, slightly stained uniform, still attractive, but reality based.

First thing that popped in my head when I saw McPhee was XXX starlet Holly Michaels - they could be sisters. I'm serious.

Anyhow, Ms. Crome fit the bill nicely. Too bad she wasn't in season three. Yeah that's a spoiler.

Okay so?

An unrelated story.

Man, I'm dating myself. Had summer school in 1990, algebra class; passed with a C. I'll be honest, mathematics was never my strongest point.

I had a Rebecca Pine type math teacher. Young looking and pretty, but not overly hot. I recall she was asked out by a kid who didn't know (not one of her students).

Our teacher, whom I will call Ms. W, did not have a car; rode her bicycle to school. Each day she would wear biker shorts to class - as you can imagine it was most fitting and on her petite form quite... fetching.

We were ALL looking/staring at her ass; guys and girls alike - it was such a perfect bubble butt. *smiles*

Couple of weeks go by - time for our test, how much did we learn? Not a goddamn thing; sounds like a bad movie trope, but it happened for real. We ALL got failing grades. More time studying her back side than formulas.

She was so angry, furious - 'What the hell is wrong with you people!' No joking, W was pissed. Like ready to throw stuff at the wall. Class finished and so ended an epoch.

Can only guess that she talked to the other teachers in their lounge that day and someone spoke out.

The following morning Ms. W came in a frumpy dress over her usual attire. No more free show and our grades rose; crappy outfits everyday afterwards.

I say since, if I had Rebecca as my science teacher and she wore biker shorts to class each day. I don't think I would get much learnin'. Then we would end up with Ms. Pine in bulky dresses and that would be a shame. She has a nice rear.

There you go. I'll leave you with Ms. Crome's nicely formed rump imagery. You're welcome.

Come back on September 7th, 2017 for a musical. A good one? Debatable.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-27-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - August 29th, 2017

Batman & Harley Quinn

Exclusive softcover book ("Batman & Harley Quinn: Last Call!"); BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Baywatch

Exclusive bonus disc (BD); BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

The Lion King: The Walt Disney Signature Collection
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

NCIS: The Complete Fourteenth Season
    Exclusive packaging; DVD only $34.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 8th, 2017

CD

"Alter Bridge - Live At The O Arena + Rarities" with exclusive limited edition 'All Access' tour laminate $15.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Shopping For Identity Part II

The 1970s was a strange time. People love the 80s (myself included) and the 1960s. Of the decades, the '70s is the bastard child. So much of it was pure crap and just embarrassing. On TV, for every "All In The Family" (1971 - 1979; CBS) there were tons of "Holmes & Yoyo" (1976 - 1977; ABC).

Promo image, left to right: Patricia and Cyb Barnstable, Richard Benjamin, Richard Kelton, Conrad Janis, Tim Thomerson and Bobby Porter.

We follow the crew of one such ship; Adam Quark (Benjamin) is their commander. This isn't what he had in mind when he was given the captain's chair. For the limited series run, Quark tired to use his garbage ship in activities other than trash collecting with minor success, but only in expendable/suicide missions.

His crew include a clone and the original girl, Betty and Betty II. The problem is that it was perfect clone; no one is sure who's the copy, neither do the girls (Barnstable twins). Often the two are collectively referred to as "The Bettys". They are the pilot and navigator, both are competent in both positions.

The ship has a science officer, Ficus Pandorata (Kelton), he is a human looking plant, a Vegeton; zero emotions and logical (yes, a Mr. Spock wannabe). He's the series' straight man.

The ship's engineer is Gene/Jean (Thomerson), a transmute. Just think of him as a fancy transgender. He has both sets of chromosomes, male and female. He can be a tough guy one moment and a second later be this feminine fellow - usually at the most inappropriate times (voice changes too).

Lastly is ship's mascot, Andy (Bobby Porter) a robot built from spare parts and it shows. For some reason it was built with cowardice, plus is neurotic.

Rounding out the cast is Otto Bob Palindrome (Janis), the supervisor of Perma One, the UGSP space station; Quark's boss. Lastly is The Head (Alan Caillou) - Palindrome's superior, a disembodied... head. Don't ask, I have no answer.

If you're a Gen-Xer you'll know the Barnstable girls as the "Double Mint Twins" from the 1970s television commercials.

This is one of those bizarre things, it's all about timing.

The series pilot was made in 1977 and aired on May 7th that year, it wasn't picked up since it sucked. But later that month, cinema history was made on May 25th, "Star Wars" opened. Everybody got space crazy and NBC wanted something to join in the fray; ABC was working on "Battlestar Galactica". So an idea got picked off the floor, 'hey we have this failed pilot called Quark'.

Boom, it became a series with the cast returning, minus one - a revamping. The second episode aired on February 24th, 1978. And was shortly canceled.

The show is remembered for parodying various "Star Trek" (1966 - 1969; NBC) episodes. It had a somewhat decent budget for effects, kinda. Eight episodes were made, all aired.

The show was suppose to be a comedy, but it just wasn't funny; forced, canned laugher from a laugh track and lame jokes.

It's on DVD, streeted on October 14th, 2008 for $19.94. Can not recommend this for non sci-fi fans. And even for them, this is just a curiosity of 1970s television. I picked up my copy from Best Buy on street. I think fifteen bucks. I own it for nostalgia, liked as a child. As an adult it makes me wonder if drugs were used and if it contributed to the juvenile writing.

That's is damn impressive!

Whoever photoshopped the DVD cover should get an award or a bonus; he/she made the show look adventurous and exciting - which it wasn't, not in the least.

Here's the thing.

The idea isn't a bad one. In fact it has a lot of potential. It was the execution that was awful. If this concept had good writers and a good budget. This could be the next big sci-fi thing - not kidding.

Have this on the same level as Ron Moore's reimagined "Battlestar Galactica". Loose the comedy and play it serious with maybe some humor here and there on the absurdity of their situations. About a guy who got stuck with garage and found a way to make it consequential. What pops to mind is Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) from "Firefly" (2002; Fox).

Never wanted to be your priest, your king, your new martyr.
    - Scott-David Allen

Quark was too weak to be heroic which I guess in the context of the show was fine. *shrugs*

One of the problems I had (besides the crappy writing) was Quark's ship looked too clean, it should've looked lived in. I can image the crew spends most of their lives in her - where's the personalization?. The ship, Serenity in "Firefly" felt real. That was a problem with other sci-fi shows of that era

A good example is "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century" (1979 - 1981; NBC). Everybody in the future (but the poor) lived in antiseptic homes with lit walls. The main character, Capt. William Rogers (Gil Gerard) redid his New Chicago home with various antiques from the time where he originated (the then future of 1987). So it kinda gets a pass. Man, future folks lived quite spartan lives. I DO like those light walls though.

Anyhow, "Buck Rogers" is on DVD; complete series set (2004) or seasons one (2012) and two (2013) individually. It's not bad, entertaining - A LOT better than "Quark". I guess you could say it's an unintentional comedy, maybe. The one thing it had going was hot girls in tight spandex outfits showing skin. They even had a Playmate Of The Year as the guest star of an episode; Dorthy Stratten.

Wanna know something?

I actually wrote treatment for a reboot of "Quark" because of this PT; like what I did for "Dr. Detroit" the series in the PT entry for "Just Like Heaven" (Part I and Part II). The intent was to include it with this post, but the word count was far too long. I would have to break this Past Tense into three part. And lets be honest, this entry doesn't need it.

Not sure, might end up posting it on a different message board - so that it doesn't go to waste. I think I did a decent job, the set-up for a three season program centered on a conspiracy.

One more Thomerson thing before I close.

He did a low budget movie for Full Moon Features called "Dollman" (1991).

This cover has a spiffier image than the film's poster. The comic book from Eternity Comics lasted four issues.

Thomerson played police detective Brick Bardo on the planet Arturus, some light years from Earth. While pursuing a dangerous fugitive, Sprug (Frank Collison); he and the criminal pass through an energy band and arrive on Earth. Both were reduced in height. Bardo is now thirteen inches tall. The size thing matters not, he needs to stop Sprug with more haste, though tiny - he is in possession of (alien) technology that could effect the citizens of Earth.

As expected it end with Bardo making a sacrifice - now stranded on our world.

This sucked, badly.

It looked and felt low budget - in the bad way. They shot this in the ghetto, not a sound stage - the movie looks ugly. Add to the mix, characters were unsympathetic. Why should I care?

But...

There is a good premise here, tiny alien cop on Earth. Just take away the whole energy band - shrinking idea. Use an idea from "Land Of The Giants" (1968 - 1970; ABC). Humans have landed on a world where people are much bigger; inversed, done. "Dollman" is a feature that does need to be remade, right. Hey, it couldn't be any worse than the original.

This PT definitely became something more than expected. Sway?

Come back here on September 21st, 2017 for a complete series box set about freedom and nukes. Indeed. *nods*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-27-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast