Toy Story 2
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Toy Story 3

Lego Movie 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Glass (available now)
    Exclusive three character cards; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Justice League Vs. The Fatal Five (available now)
    Exclusive figurine; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $33.99

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (available now)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (available now)

Captain America: Civil War (available now)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Field Of Dreams (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $18.99

King Kong (2005) (available now)

Credits
    Target - May 28th, 2019

Outlander: The Complete Fourth Season - Special Edition
    Exclusive digipack packaging with 28 page booklet; BD/DC combo $44.99

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (available now)
    Exclusive wearable dragon wings; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Credits
    Target - June 7th, 2019

CDs

"Santana - Africia Speaks" with two exclusive bonus track $11.99
    "Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins" with two exclusive bonus track $13.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on August 7th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

You can't stop the signal in "Serenity"...

The motion picture opened on September 30th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $40,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $25 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $38,869,464. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number eight. Let's be honest, no matter how you look - this bombed; I wished it didn't, but it did.

By the way, Nathan Fillion is way too air brushed in that poster. Anyway...

The feature opened against "Into The Blue", "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride", "A History of Violence" and "Just Like Heaven".

Written so many of these - I'm now including links to previous PT entries.

I'm covering the Collector's Edition; came in a folding box; digipak for the two discs, it opens out and unfurls - hard to describe. The box is partially foiled on the text with a window showing the digipak within.

This originally came with a single, small sized, one sided insert. An ad for "Serenity" merchandise; ship blueprints, "Blue Sun" travel posters (five of them, 17" x 22"), ship papers (Serenity's deed, licenses, passports, passenger manifest, vessel specs, salvage rights, trader's guild and decon certificate.

All and all, fourteen documents in a leather portfolio) and bank heist money (this offer was only available to DVD buyers).

- - -

Best Buy offered the only exclusive, a mini twenty-six page comic book (eight per store). This set streeted on August 21st, 2007 and sold for $17.99. The comic was packed on the rear under the back sheet with DVD specs.

While the cover reads "Serenity" it's actually a re-pressing of issue one (of three) of "Those Left Behind" mini series from 2005, published by Dark Horse Comics. The story was written by Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews. It bridges the gap between the last episode of "Firefly" (2002); "Objects In Space" (December 13th, 2002) and the motion picture; the film takes place six months from the series finale.

By the way, the comic doesn't fit inside the box. *shrugs*

The comic mini series was released in the Summer of '05 as cross promotion for the then upcoming feature.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

This really should be covered. Let me take a step back...

Released on December 20th, 2005 for $29.98 was the first release of "Serenity". There isn't any need to keep this DVD. All of the extras presented here carried over to the Collector's Edition; the newer two disc set is a shiny upgrade.

If you're a die hard collector, you might want to keep the first release - came with a foil wraparound.

- - -

As some might know, a chunk of the new extras in the Collector's Edition are actually carry overs from the 2006 Australian DVD (region 4).

It was a two disc release, streeted on February 8th 2006. Don't ask for price, have no idea.

What's missing on the Collector's Edition?

Not included is "Joss Whedon Q&A Session" which was filmed at Fox Studios in Sydney; done after the screening. Would've been cool, but it's not a deal breaker.

I can tell you that the R4 DVD came in a transparent case - for a reason. The wraparound was double printed. The reverse side has the same artwork, minus the classification markings. That's kinda cool.

Sure. I'll do it. Don't expect this regularly, I don't want to open a mess of worms.

Region 4 exclusives.

There were three Aussie bonuses.

EzyDVD had an exclusive tin which (mostly) mirrored the DVD's wraparound. Don't ask for price. Sorry about the above image quality, I tired.

You purchased the title and they gave you the tin over the counter.

I don't know how many were made, the easy answer is... limited. I CAN tell you this was on the same street.

JB H-Fi had their own that day.

The store offered an exclusive slipcover (sorry once again, it was the best I could muster), autographed by Joss Whedon. Now this isn't signed individually, but printed on the slipcover. This was embossed, the slipcover wasn't on the DVD. Same deal as EzyDVD, the bonus over the counter. Don't know the price. Never heard of JB H-Fi until researching.

It looks like you could get both and have the slip on the DVD and put it inside the tin - if you're as anal as I am. I don't own any of these R4 things.

Lastly is an exclusive mouse pad from Sanity, not packed with the title. Again, no idea how much this set cost. Sorry, I don't have an image for that.

- - -

Okay I'll do that too.

The newer Collector's Edition has extras which have not appeared in any previous editions:

* Commentary by writer/director Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, Adam Baldin and Ron Glass
    * "Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity" TV special (21:45 minutes; aired on Sci-Fi Channel on September 27th, 2005)
    * "Session 416" (8:00 minutes; the five River Tam [Glau] viral videos from her stay at "The Academy")

What was taken from the region 4 set?

* Extended scenes (6:40 minutes)
    * "A Filmmaker's Journey" featurette (19:53 minutes)
    * "The Green Clan" featurette (3:07 minutes)
    * "Take A Walk On Serenity" ship set tour (4:06 minutes)

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

If you're a fan of the former series and the big screen flick you'll probably want to pick up this fan made documentary...

"Done The Impossible: The Fans’ Tale of Firefly & Serenity"; streeted on August 1st, 2006 for $23.95. The doc is hosted by star Adam Baldwin and runs seventy-nine minutes.

It features interviews with the cast and crew responsible, including series creator Whedon. And various interviews with fans who were touched by the franchise - can I call it a franchise?

This is really about the fans who want to celebrate their passion (including those who tired to save "Firefly" when it was canceled). Yeah, I have no excuse, I need to pick this up. The DVD has a respectable amount of extras too.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Mal's ship makes a cameo in Sci-Fi Channel's mini-series slash pilot, "Battlestar Galactica". It occurred in Part I (December 8th, 2003) when Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) is on Caprica; inside her doctor's office about to be diagnosed with breast cancer. A sky view is shown, through the glass ceiling - Serenity flies by; 14:43 minutes.

Why?

The digital effects for the mini-series was done by Zoic Studios, they also did the CGI work for "Firefly" (2002).

One more bit of random trivia... this film was Universal Studios Home Entertainment first title released on HD-DVD. Remember that format?

Indeed.

I really enjoyed this flick. It's damn good. I so wish this hadn't tanked at the box office, there should be a new entry every couple of years. One last item, the November 2008 issue of Empire magazine (British), published the results of a world-wide poll of the "500 Greatest Movies Of All Time"; "Serenity" ranked 383rd.

Come back here on June 20th, 2019 for another entry; this one on a shakey-cam spy.

Credits
    Best Buy - June 11th, 2019

Captain Marvel

Pitch Black (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $9.99

Mission Impossible: Fallout (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $9.99

Toy Story (available now)

Toy Story 2 (available now)

Toy Story 3 (available now)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Glass (available now)
    Exclusive three character cards; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $16.99

Credits
    Best Buy - June 18th, 2019

Us
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Captain Marvel (available now)

Toy Story 2 (available now)

Toy Story 3 (available now)

Credits
    Target - June 11th, 2019

Captain Marvel
    Exclusive packaging with making-of book; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 6/14

"Madonna - Madame X" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Bastille - Doom Days" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $12.99

Credits
    Target - June 21st, 2019

CDs

"Prince - Originals" with 1 exclusive bonus track $11.99
    "Dave Matthew Band - Rhino's Choice" exclusive 2018 Summer Tour Highlights $11.99
    "Dave Matthew Band - Rhino's Choice" exclusive vinyl album $17.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 18th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Run, dodge, fire guns and get all shaky cam-ed with "The Bourne Files"...

This PT is a bit different since were talking about a double feature release. So I'm gonna cover the stats on both.

"The Bourne Identity" opened on June 14th, 2002. It was made with a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $121 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Spider-Man", "Undercover Brother", "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones" and "Scooby-Doo".

"The Bourne Supremacy" opened on July 23rd, 2004 It was made with a budget of $75,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $176 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "I, Robot", "Spider-Man 2", "Shrek 2", "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "King Arthur".

"The Bourne Files" is a three disc digipak set that came in a cardboard file style case. You pull out each mock file with DVD.

Images above do far better justice - the picture feels like the disc holders are folders with a chapter listing sheet inside. Nope, not the case at all. It's a replica, printed on thick card stock, just an illusion. This release did not come with any inserts.

The case was not embossed either.

One difference from the final product; the velcro dot isn't cloth (you know what I mean), it's clear plastic.

- - -

There were two exclusives and both were pretty weak. But at the time I didn't own either movies so it was a cool deal.

The collection streeted on July 24th, 2007.

Best Buy offered an exclusive theater voucher to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" (2007); ($7.50 value for one; the window was August 3rd to August 31st, 2007).

That counts. Kinda.

The store also offered a discount; save five dollars on the $14.99 opening week price if you used your MasterCard - which I did. Sway. The voucher 'Compliments Of MasterCard'.

There is an important question, but I'll get to that in a few.

Wal-Mart had a bonus disc. Don't get excited it was lame; came in a printed cardboard sleeve on the back of the release (as I recall). This DVD has a run time of 11:20 minutes (presented in widescreen). The entry for "The Bourne Ultimatum" wasn't a trailer, but rather a 3:45 minute chase clip from the film. This four disc set sold for $14.98 on release day.

By the way, the bonus disc/sleeve does not fit inside the case/folder. I have mine stored outside (in a bag) with other exclusives that can't be with their source release.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

What's on the third disc on this double feature?

It has four new items; sneak peak at 'Ultimatum' and three featurettes on author Robert Ludlum and making of the film series. It a run time of 50:44 minutes

So? Which version of "The Bourne Identity" is present? A bit of background first...

"The Bourne Identity" was first release on DVD as "Collector's Edition" on January 21st, 2003 ($26.98). It didn't have much extras. It was re-released as "Explosive Extended Edition" on July 13th, 2004 ($29.98) with a lot more bonuses, but looses the director's commentary, extended farmhouse scene and its trailer.

So if you want all the extras, you'll need both editions (which I own).

The DVD version presented in the collection here is the "Explosive Extended Edition".

- - -
    Everybody's always asking me - where is it baby? Doesn't anybody know?
    - Tim Feehan

If you really want a tally, "The Bourne Identity" has been released on DVD four times. The first two mentioned a moment ago.

Above are all the same; "Explosive Extended Edition". The far left is the second version, it didn't come with any slipcover. Next to that is the '100th Anniversary' edition (I own it); this is about Universal Studios hitting the century mark. It came with a foil slipcover (non-embossed) which opens up (clear plastic velcro) showing various movie and Universal trivia.

It streeted on January 10th, 2012. It also came with a digital copy insert; code expired on December 31st, 2012.

The far right is a later re-release, '2000s Best Of The Decade'. This was a non-foiled, non-embossed slipcover and streeted on July 9th, 2013. I can't say if this came with a digital copy, don't own this.

Should be noted that none of the original insert(s) came with the 100th Anniversary (and most likely not with Best Of The Decade). Yes, I am that anal. Took time, but I finally got it from a swap meet.

- - -

This wasn't the first adaptation, it made it to the small screen initially. ABC had a two part mini-series, "The Bourne Identity", aired on May 8th and 9th of 1988. It starred Richard Chamberlain as Jason Bourne and Jaclyn Smith as Marie St. Jacques. Ludlum fans call the TV version the most faithful to the novel. I still remember watching that when it first aired - was in high school at the time.

This is something I had regrets, an opportunity to pick the DVD for a low price, years ago, but procrastinated. At one point it was going for $169.99 new. This steeted August 27th, 2002 from Warner Home Video (ISBN# 0-7907-7305-8). Why not buy it used for a lot cheaper? This came out in a cardboard snapper case (man, I hate those). You can imagine the used copy has tons of scratches and dents. Buying it 'like new' can be such a crap shoot.

The mini-series originally retailed for $19.98; 188 minutes with zero extras; presented in anamorphic widescreen. I'm fuzzy, it was broadcast in full screen. But the possibility exist that it was filmed wide for foreign markets... so maybe widescreen?

Earlier this month I finally got my copy for a decent price, new. Great condition and the disc is mint. I'm happy.

Feel a bit weird, a sign of the times. Chamberlain looks old playing Bourne. You don't see that kind of thing now; action heroes are no longer middle age men or older. Try watching "Adventures Of Superman" (1952), it's on DVD. George Reeves looks too old to play the Man Of Steel by today's standards.

Yup, indeed - this is one of the shorter entries. It is what it is. Come back on July 4th (2019) for another - and possibly better posts. Well get haunted help mixed with some reefer.

Credits
    Best Buy - June 25th, 2019

Cinderella: Signature

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Dumbo (live action)

The Matrix Trilogy (now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD only $74.99

Credits
    Target - June 25th, 2019

Exclusive packaging with 40 page booklet; BD/DVD/DC combo $28.99

Dumbo (live action)
    Exclusive packaging with 40 page booklet; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 26th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Things to do today; buy some pot, find some tasty snacks and performer an exorcism or two in "Deadbeat"...

"Deadbeat: Season One" was released on home video on August 26th, 2014.

It streeted against "The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season", "All That Jazz" (Criterion) and "Legends Of Oz: Dorothy's Return" and "Revenge: The Complete Third Season".

The DVD did not come with a slipcover. It came with two inserts. 1) A double sided sheet, episode guide. 2) Single sided, Digital Copy (UltraViolet instructions; code expires on August 26th, 2015.

- - -

As with the Past Tense entry for "Men In Black: The Animated Series - Season One", this was another unadvertised exclusive.

It was from another message board that I discover the release. From various reviews online - a blind buy. No trouble finding it. I bought my copy, not on Tuesday, but later that week.

This single disc title sold for $14.99. As far as I know, this was not released on Blu-Ray.

There is a minor note.

One DVD (single sided) holding ten half hour episodes with three extras. I did a double take on the details once home. The bit rate must suffer, right?

Lionsgate did a good job. The video (anamorphic widescreen) and audio are quite decent, gets the job done. No real problems, would have like it presented on two discs, but I'm okay with it.

What's on the other side of this bit rate coin?

The perfect example; former UPN series "Legacy" (1998 - 1999) DVD.

This is a two disc set.

Wait for it...

Eighteen, one hour shows (you know what I mean). Each disc has nine episodes each. Oh boy. It's watchable, like viewing a YouTube video. I liked the show; was one of the short number of viewers when it aired. Glad it's on home video. But would rather have seen it on five discs. Better sound and picture.

This was released from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment in 2013, bought in 2014 for five bucks at Wal-Mart). I will give them credit. They managed to keep the original song for the opening credits; "The Mummers' Dance" by Loreena McKennitt.

This did NOT happen for Warner Home Video's "Birds Of Prey: The Complete Series". The opening credits song, "Revolution" by Aimee Allen was replaced with ultra generic music. The studio didn't even try. *shakes head*

Something I found out while researching; the actress who played Lexy Logan (youngest daughter; little girl on the DVD cover) on "Legacy" was a voice actress in "Toy Story" (1995). Sarah Freeman voiced Hannah Phillips, Sid's younger sister.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

So many people compare "Deadbeat" to The CW's former series "Reaper" (2007 - 2009). That's such a wrong comparison. Truly.

That series IS "Dead Last" on The WB (now The CW) in 2001. The exact same concept with actor Tyler Labine playing pretty much the same role. Which probably in any other show would be crap.

But he's so likable and is fun that it gets a pass.

"Dead Last" is about an unsigned band, "The Problem" has problems with apparitions - touched by an amulet found by accident; they can see and talk to the dead. And they won't leave them alone unless they can give the spirit(s) closure. Each week they would run into new ghosts. It was funny and sometimes creepy. Thirteen episodes were made, only eight aired.

The show had multiple, seemingly random story lines that converge, densely written.

Like Scooby-Doo, "The Problem" got around in a van trying to find paying gigs and reluctantly solving wrongs. It also starred Kett Turton, Labine and Sara Downing with Wayne Pére.

The episode that stands out (for me) was Scotty (Labine) buys a haunted car. A 1970s auto being tracked; the ghost - a "Shaft" (1971) like police detective. The specter believes there is evidence hidden somewhere in the car (can't get to it since he has no physicality). Together they try to solve the crime of his death and run into the detective's long deceased partner who has spent the past decades trying to bring down the other accomplices. Now with a Scotty in tow - the three will make justice happen. So over the top.

The other thing I remember remains quite relevant - Vaughn Parrish (Turton); band leader was pissed. "The Problem" lost a paying gig due to a DJ appearance. His argument was that the guy doesn't create music, he just remixes and samples from existing songs. That kind of subset of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) has grown much since '01. And at that point, it was the first time I ever heard that complaint - depends on the DJ; it can be art.

"Deadbeat" takes the concept and reduces ghost communication to one; Kevin "Pac" Pacalioglu played by Labine.

Our hero is a stoner with a special gift and is an underachiever. His best friend is his drug dealer, "Roofie" (Brandon T. Jackson), together they get into various apparitional trouble. Pac trying his best to make a buck off his unique talent and failing hard.

Rounding out the cast is Cat Deeley as Camomile White, a renowned medium and author - she's a fraud. White has an assistant, Sue (Lucy DeVito; yes daughter of that DeVito) who's life is made miserable by her temperamental boss. Add to that, Camomile is angry that Pac could expose her and pissed that he's enamor with her.

Something that needs to be mentioned. In this world, the idea of ghosts and hauntings is known and quite common. At one point the mayor of New York wants Pac to exorcise a murderous phantom from a subway construction. One of the main cast gets killed, I liked that. Did not expect that to happen.

The image above is from the second episode. Pac is helping a deceased competitive eater (Telly Leung) who had his stomach taken (organ donor) and given to a Hasidic Jew, Menachem Mendel. Hiro Tamagachi's unfinished business is to compete in a hot dog eating contest. Pac then tries to convince the guy (Modi) to put aside this faith and allow for this final wish - consuming pork. So messed up, it's a twisted show.

Menachem does and ends up liking it, forcing him to give up the clothe. The character makes another appearance later in the series, ticked off at Pac. He made him give up God for tasty dogs.

Adding to the weirdness is that Pac has a pet ghost. What is it? My guess it's a malformed fetus.

The Rube Goldberg episode was my favorite, so over the top. Another good one was Pac getting into trouble with the Swedish Mafia. Yes, you read correctly. If you can find the DVD, it is recommended.

Sadly this is the only one on home video; seasons two and three remain unreleased (each were thirteen episodes).

I'm hoping the rest will come out on DVD or as a complete set - like what Mill Creek Entertainment did for "Masters Of Sex" and "Happy Endings".

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

I wish there were images of the inside of this truck camper from the mid 1960s, Del Rey Kamp King's "Sky Lounge".

As I understand this was a three story truck add-on. The second story is in front above the cab; a place to sit down and view forward. The third was a bedroom with roof deck. First floor was the kitchen.

The center of gravity is questionable, but looks damn sway. I would image that the third floor wouldn't be assembled until the truck in parked for camping. Can you only access the third from that ladder? Is there another way to get up?

Was this safe in the rain? Was it reasonably insulated?

Seeing that image makes me want to add awning over the roof deck, nothing too fancy, but something to provide shade. I would imagine the tech inside was big and bulky (1960s). Such a thing now would be quite roomy, like Northwood's "Arctic Fox" 990 camper (above). Why yes, I do like tiny homes.

There you go. Come back here on July 18th, 2019 for another cut by a television surgeon. Indeed.

Credits
    Best Buy - July 9th, 2019

Pet Sematary (2019)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD only $32.99

Waterworld
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $19.99

Captain Marvel (available now)

Bad Boys I & II (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $14.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $22.99

John Wick/John Wick 2: 2 Film Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook collection; 4k BD/BD combo $29.99

The Dark Tower (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $14.99

Field Of Dreams (available now)

Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $12.99

King Kong (2005) (available now)

Transformers: The Last Knight (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $19.99

Mission Impossible: Fallout (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/DC combo $26.99

Credits
    Best Buy - July 16th, 2019

Shazam!
    Exclusive packaging; 3D BD/BD/DVD combo $29.99

Shazam!
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Spider-Man Legacy Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $25.99

Credits
    Target - July 7th, 2019

Stranger Things (Season One) (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging and poster; DVD/BD combo $5.00

Stranger Things: Season 2 (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging with photo set; BD/DVD combo $10.00

Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast