Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - Pocket Full Of Important Doodads Part I

Can your palms foretell your personal future and even revised histories from that cognition? Take the peek under the veil in "Paycheck"...

The motion picture opened on December 25th, 2003. It was made with a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated); counting foreign receipts it made $98,819,789. The movie bombed domestically ($53.7 million). The film opened number three at the box office, the following week it dropped to number five.

The feature opened against "Bad Santa", "Elf", "Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King" and "Cheaper By The Dozen" (remake).

There was no slipcover, nor insert.

- - -

This sci-fi flick bombed, pretty amazing it got any exclusive. Streeted on home video - DVD only on May 18th, 2004. There was a single exclusive, a bonus disc from Best Buy. Extra disc came inside a CD envelope attached behind the case, under an expanded rear sheet.

All of this were sealed under wrapping. Set sold for $15.99.

Now, four important things.

1) Do not have the weekly ad. It pre-dates my Legacy project which started in the final weeks of December 2004. And can't find any vital data for that store date online.

2) I can not say how many set copies were available per store.

3) Can not tell if this was attached to both the full screen and widescreen copies or just wide (which is what I have)

4) That price above was reached through conclusion, not by store listing (lost to time, sixteen years after the fact).

1 - 3 not much more to say. Just can't find the info and do not know. No dusty online blogs or websites to search. Vanished into the digital ether.

Four I CAN talk about. I have a rather large collection of store exclusives, many from Best Buy - you have seen the many write-up I have posted throughout the years.

Store price is an extrapolation. The criteria questions which lead me to that amount...

What store exclusives do I have from 2004 that were from Paramount Home Entertainment? What were their prices (with exclusive)? Single title release or two disc sets with bonus (had to be single)? Released in what particular month in '04?

At this point in time DreamWorks titles were still distributed by Paramount which is what "Paycheck" was - one of the final ones titles. DreamWorks had moved to distributed their own movies. Which means I can include DreamWorks releases with Best Buy exclusives under those prerequisite.

All those filters gave me two titles with an additional one - a year earlier as a comparison since that mirrors the volume of extras on the single movie disc plus had a bonus disc, similar to "Paycheck". Those two are:

"Eurotrip" - DreamWorks $17.99 - June 1st, 2004

"Shrek 2" - DreamWorks $15.99 - November 5th, 2004

The comparison title:

"Tomb Raider: Cradle Of Life" - Paramount $15.99 - November 18th, 2003

Links included to previous Past Tense entries above.

Discarded "Eurotrip" since the bonus disc had numerous content (and came in a printed cardboard sleeve), not a single item.

Elimination - you end up with $15.99. This was common price for exclusives at the time from Best Buy, I am confident this is the correct store price. Have I not said over the years, 'I'm anal'. *wink*

Above - scans of their exclusive unopened. You can see bit of the white CD envelope on the rear image, under that specs sheet.

Notice something? Catch it?

That front sticker "Bonus Disc Inside" says nothing about it be exclusive to Best Buy. At this time DVD exclusives were rather new. Consider the debacle that was "Dawn Of The Dead: Unrated" exclusive, October 26th, 2004. Folk had a serious time finding that set.

The sticker indicating the extra DVD was so small, most didn't see - neither did the staff. Not helping was the exclusive was inside the case. Just looking, you couldn't tell. And "Paycheck" came out a few months earlier.

Bonus has a run time of 13:19 minutes, single making-of featurette - "Retrofitting Paycheck"; no menu screen, just plays and is in full screen. The short has various production artwork. I wish more BTS extras included them. Above is samplings of the apparatuses. Yeah, I don't get that first one.

Was that some kind of foil forearm wrapping attached to hand pads? Or like a silver power field around the arms? No clue.

This was a long road to my collection - nearly fourteen years. Not an exaggeration. I didn't find out about this exclusive until 2006 when it was gone from stores. I began my hunt and failed so many times. Over those fourteen years - ONLY saw it listed once (opened), but the seller knew what he was selling and wanted beyond my price range. No go.

I wouldn't again find it until January 20th, 2020, bought that day for $8.61 (with postage and tax) off eBay. The package arrived on the 24th, that month in a padded shipping envelope. It was super quick. Sway.

Opted not to open right away. This was still sealed - virgin exclusive! Damn rare, so I did scans of the front and back as you've seen and then opened. The bonus DVD is mint as was the movie disc. Oh yeah - I ready owned the movie.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Some of you might have noticed - the influx of new entries, not updated/expanded posts from JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum - now just a memory. Man, it was great while it lasted.

Back in December of 2019 looked at potential PT posts for next year; saw my supply dwindling. I have only x amount of older Past Tenses to work with. And a chunk of them must be saved for "Limited Edition Horror 2020". And yes, have already begun work for this October; movie recommendations - started in January. This way I have a pool to choose from and not have to rush to fill in the quotas.

*sigh* I am uncertain if there will be LE Horror for 2021. The future is unclear, time will tell. Anyhow...

There are only so many PTs I can work with - which means I need new ones. Buy'em! Part of my store exclusive index is a section on things I don't have with where they originated from. I made notes over the years. And that means I need scans of Best Buy weekly ads along with exclusives scans (when gotten) and later image fixing - get them looking the best it can.

Did this in late January, various scans. You have seen the results these past months, this post included.

So in early January I went on the hunt. Found quite a few, this too. Some of them I had long forgotten and were found super, dirt cheap! Outstanding. I have many more targets. This means 2020 is the year of brand new entries. Indeed.

And it means I can't rely on done/finished research. I have to do the homework for the new stuff.

Just like the old days. And I do like the challenge, the biggest example this year was for "The Alien Legacy: 20th Anniversary Edition" so much data to cull.

- - -

Oh yeah. I have since moved my set into a two disc case and have inserted the Best Buy specs sheet on the rear - this way you can read about the bonus.

Credits
    Best Buy - May 26th, 2020

Onward (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Credits
    Okay. Hello there.

Credits
    Past Tense

Brand new once again! This outing we come face to face with serial killer of other serial killers in "Dexter"...

"Dexter: The First Season" was released on home video on August 21st, 2007.

It streeted against "Perfect Stranger", "The Ultimate Gift", "Serenity: Collector's Edition" (a previous Past Tense) and "House M.D.: Season Three"

The cardboard slipcase was non-embossed nor foiled. Holding two, two disc slimcases for the discs. It came with three inserts...

Double-sided ad for Showtime cable subscription with a $25.00 rebate; expired March 31st, 2008. You needed a 3 x 5 card with your personal information along with your first three months of service bills (dated between February 1st, 2007 to 3/31/08) to qualify. For new subscribers only.

Double-sided card stock printed ad for Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter" novels; "Dexter: Darkly Dreaming", "Dearly Devoted Dexter" and "Dexter In The Dark" - the first two chapters (above) is included as a DVD-ROM entry on disc four (PDF document).

Let me say, I tried. I really did. That is the best looking season one poster image I could locate. Did some work, but I can only do so much. The rest of the offerings found were terrible. This has to exist in a better res.

- - -

"Dexter" had two exclusives, one peripheral and one direct. I'll start with the latter.

Sorry, I do not have the weekly ad for this.

Target on street had an exclusive bonus DVD (inside a CD envelope). This set sold for $27.99. And was only available for DVD. The Blu-Ray would not happen until January 6th, 2009 (Region A) for $54.98.

There is no menu screen, it just plays. Bonus disc starts with a commercial for Showtime cable subscription.

The DVD is labeled (printed) - "Q&A With The DEXTER Cast & Creative Team Courtesy Of The Museum Of Television & Radio". It has a run time of 1:01:11 minutes. Once played it reads "The 2007 William S. Paley Television Festival: Dexter". This happened on March 7th, 2007.

The panel includes - executive producer/series writer Daniel Cerone, executive producer Clyde Phillips, executive producer Sara Colleton, actor David Zayas, actress Lauren Velez, actor James Remar, actor Erik King, actress Jennifer Carpenter and actor Michael C. Hall. And is moderated by E! Entertainment columnist Kristen Veitch (now married - Kristen dos Santos).

They talk about the source novels, season one production and hints of what to come for season two.

- - -

The second exclusive was not part of the season one release at all.

On July 24th, 2007 a preview disc - in its own DVD case with wraparound was side-packed and streeted with "Zodiac". This has the first two episodes of "Dexter".

Like with the extrapolation for "Paycheck" PT in May I repeated the investigation here. I didn't buy it when it first came out.

What store exclusives do I have from 2007 that were from Paramount Home Entertainment? What were their prices (with exclusive)? Single title release or two disc sets with bonus? And released in what particular month in '07?

At this point in time DreamWorks titles were still distributed by Paramount which is what "Dexter" was. DreamWorks had moved to distributed their own movies. Which means I can include DreamWorks releases with Wal-Mart exclusives under those prerequisite.

All those filters gave me two titles similar to "Dexter". Those two were: "Flushed Away" (released in 2007) and "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit" (released in 2006). Both exclusive Wal-Mart sets had the same price, $19.96 and are DreamWorks releases. I believe that the combo set for "Zodiac" was $19.96.

I've known about this bonus sampler for years, but never bothered with it since I own the series. As you can see above, this is bare bones - just the two first episodes (presented in anamorphic widescreen). Why own it?

This was bought off eBay on February 3rd, 2020 and received on 7th of the same month just for this write up. *nods*

"Were-Rabbit" and "Flushed Away" will be written about at a later date.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

As repeatedly said, I don't have cable - still don't. This fell under my radar until a friend of mine talked about this excellent series I should watch. The conversation happened months before the home video release. And I remembered the name "Dexter" when I discovered it was coming out in August of '07.

This was minus our conversation - a blind buy. A killer of serial killers sounded fascinating and it was - zero buyer's remorse. Glad to see it. Glad to own it. From there I went on to buy all the season and their relevant store exclusives when it occurred.

NOW - I know.

We all know.

The series finale was crap on a cracker. The show runners failed us on an epic level. Screw it! I'll spoil it. Dexter (Hall) becomes a lumber jack giving up his... 'trade'. It comes from nowhere, like that ending was pulled out of someone's a$$. It was the weakest season in the series run - on top of that conclusion.

But seasons one - seven were excellent to good, so we have that. Season eight is just tolerable, they didn't know how to end it. Or what to do with the character. Then what? Nope, just sad panda faces.

Just think of the series like a long car trip. Parts of it will be great and fascinating, the journey will be a delight in itself, but the destination can be such an anticlimax. Just like the final minutes of the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot.

Your memories will be of the ride. And that's okay.

No regrets investing my time on this show. I was entertained.

Wished it ended better, true. But I overall enjoyed the show and characters.

"Dexter" was a good show, outstanding at times.

There you go - liked that meme from 2011. Not one of my bigger entries, but it gets the job done. Come back here on June 18th, 2020 for the final season of nerd joy.

Credits
    Max = 9843

Past Tense

Another new entry! While true, it wasn't for everybody; some hated this TV show with a passion. And for others (myself included) it was pop culture comfort food. This outing we have the final season of "The Big Bang Theory"...

"The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth And Final Season" was released on home video on November 12th, 2019.

It streeted against "47 Meters Down: Uncaged", "The Angry Birds 2 Movie" and "The Peanut Butter Falcon".

The regular slipcase was non-embossed cardboard that mirrored the wraparound. Inside the slipcase was a black, not transparent DVD case holding three discs. It came with six page folding booklet; episode guide - with air dates and extras listing.

- - -

There was a singular exclusive from Target - not a bonus disc, but packaging. They offered an exclusive slipcase. Above is their weekly ad along with their slip and the regular edition on the far right.

Season twelve was released on Blu-Ray, but I am unable to answer if this came with their exclusive or was a regular BD. *shrugs* I have no notes on this topic. And I would've taken them down.

Can say on the same street - "The Complete Series" box set was also released on DVD, retail price of $119.98. The Blu-Ray edition came out on January 21st, 2020 for $209.98.

Have something else. I've been collecting DVDs since 2003 and this was the very first U.S. title I've run into that had this... 'made in Germany'. The exclusive or the basic release? Can't answer.

By the way, most DVDs and BDs are made in Mexico if you didn't know.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Yes - I still despise that awful opening theme song; I hit the chapter advance on the remote each time. And Kaley Cuoco is over rated. She's okay and that's fine. But for crying out loud, she's a seven and a half on a good day.

So as a fan, how did I feel about the finale?

It's bittersweet. It was done with care to fans who stayed for twelve years.

One of the problems some had with the show is the lack of development, characters - series stagnation. That's not true. If you watched the show in syndication, episodes are shown out of order for each of the seasons. It was by design that way. To be mostly interchangeable. Not dependent on knowing past episodes. Much of TV is like that, has been that way for generations.

But for those who watch the show season per seasons there was growth. Two of them got married. One of which had a kid. One of them had financial ties severed with his parents; forced to be fiscally responsible. Our group of nerds had to grow-up. Couldn't keep going to comic book conventions. They have responsibilities, can't play.

It was a slow burn, years really. A bit here. A bit there that added up till they could no longer behave like kids. They become parents.

So yeah, they grew up; some by force - unwilling to change until the momentum could not be ignored.

This series was like worn slippers. Looks okay, but feels snug. No need to replace, the shoes work and work exactly as expected... that's "The Big Bang Theory" in a nutshell.

The finale felt good. The speech given by Sheldon (Jim Parsons) has a lot of weight to it. He's speaking from the heart, not pre-planned, out of his comfort zone. The rest have changes which were natural. In the end, they remain friends - their futures is unknown.

I will miss it. It was sway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

I know. This is a short entry. So I have 'quality' filler for your enjoyment. A what-if...

Was there a lost deviation, gone for the most part into oblivion? There were changes to life on Earth over the eons, we have an incomplete fossil records.

It makes sense that other life on our planet would go on the same, if not - a similar path. Why wouldn't it?

What if this life was not mammalian?

What you're looking above is a conjecture - an erased life form standing next to a raptor.

In 1982 Canadian paleontologist, Dale Russell published a paper; postulating that dinosaurs 'could have' evolved into bipedal hominid-like creatures.

Don't care for the name, but it's his work - he called them "Dinosauroid". See that? That's cringy. I would've called them 'Dinosapien' - that sounds cool.

Because of modern birds and reptiles, their genitals would be internal. And would have a vocal range similar to contemporary birds. Further supposition had them feeding their young much like present avifauna, through regurgitation.

An extrapolation was made of his theory. And at one point was on exhibition. The sculpture was done by Russell and Ron Seguin. And he's not alone; evolutionary paleobiologist, Simon Conway Morris also agrees. This could've happened.

Let's be honest - much of the history of Earth has been lost. What we know of our distant past really only scratches the surface. And there exist so many 'anomalies' that bitch slaps established time lines. A casual investigation will bring out things that should not exist, but do - thousands and hundreds of thousands of years old. And older still.

From arrowheads at an age when humans were still monkeying around to random relics that defy common sense (can't be that old?); OOPArts, Out Of Place Artifacts. Such as the "London Hammer" found in 1934 in London, Texas. It's an ancient metal hammer with part of its wooden handle still intact. It was found encased in a rock dated over a 100 million years old. So old, that wood has turned to coal. And odder still, the metal hasn't rusted.

How old are humans? Time travel at play? Or... something else.

If this notion is correct - what level of tech did they accomplish? I say this since scattered about our oceans are lost structures, cities. Seek out the step pyramids on the bottom of the sea off the coast of Cuba as a prime example, known as the "Bermuda Pyramids". They look like the Pyramid Of Djoser in Egypt (27th century BC) or the Pyramid Of The Sun in Teotihuacán, Mexico (Maya; 200 CE, roughly).

Plus the step pyramids discovered between Sao Miguel and Terceira Islands, Azores (in the North Atlantic Ocean). Which are some four hundred fifty feet under, found by accident.

Did some of them survive the past global catastrophe - great flood (more than likely caused by our sun going partial nova) - sheltering underground? There is a ton of lore surrounding lizard people in South America and beyond that live in deep hidden caves systems.

This has been played in media over the years. "Sleeping Dragon" (December 3rd, 1988) was an episode of the syndicated (half hour) horror series, "Monsters".

Found in the desert in Nevada was a cave full of large oval rocks. One of them is taken to a professor in Reno. It is opened using a laser. It is not an oversized geode - but a stasis chamber and have awoken a terrible lizard, human sized. A race of Dinosapiens; sophisticated enough and knew a planet killing asteroid was coming - they built these pods to survive the disaster. But something went wrong, they did not awaken. The group fights this ancient titan and only learns at the end - before it was killed, it sent a data burst...

To open the rest of the sleeping pods. The episode ends with shock, a global war is about to start. These kind of caves were found worldwide. *dark grin*

Another example would be the book series (thirteen novels), "Destroyermen" by Taylor Anderson. Book one, "Into The Storm: Destroyermen" was published in 2008. It take place in the Spring of 1942 - we follow the crew of an older, near obsolete, WWI US destroyer - "Walker". Taken out of mothballs for the Pacific Theater.

Damaged and on the run from the Japanese they encounter a rift; the Walker winds up in an alternate universe - an Earth where humans never came to be. There is a major conflict here too.

The warring parties are the Lemurians and Grik.

The Lemurians are the ancestors of lemurs. The Grik are the ancestors of the dinosaurs. That ship can change the balance of power in this world; both parties try to win the friendship and trust of the Walker. They're stuck in that world. In later books we find out - that Japanese battleship also came through and has sided with the Grik. The story would make an excellent mini-series on cable.

And yeah, I see it too - that dinosauroid looks like a Grey alien; food for thought.

That's it for this entry. Come back here on July 9th, 2020 for another PT that's sprinkled with magic, cut from the same cloth as "The Princess Bride" (1987).
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-21-2020 at 04:14 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - July 7th, 2020

Trolls: World Tour
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Boy Becomes A Man, Becomes A King Part II

Dave asks her - since she was the only woman in a boat full of men; spending most of her time in swimsuits. 'Did any of the guys get frisky?' She said no. The camera then cuts to a winking Santa Claus wall bauble. Holy crap, that made me laugh so hard. I miss you Dave.

What made it work so well, Weatherly didn't know why the audience was laughing. Letterman then showed her the feed and... smirked. It was cute, 'ha-ha'.

Giddings worked on such movies as "The Abyss" (1989), "For Your Eyes Only" (1981), "Striking Distance" (1993) and "Titanic" (1997) to name a few. He was well known as 'the guy' who you want for underwater filming. And he worked for National Geographic on various sea related docs.

It was a cool show, didn't try to be anything more than an ocean travelogue. And it worked. Plus Weatherly was great to look at. They put her in really dangerous situations (for drama), like when they had her in a cage; filming her as she watched great white sharks feeding. Why yes, they attack her cage. Drama! *jazz hands*

Or when they went to Cuba and dove off the coast into a shipwreck filled with unexploded munitions. Weatherly wanted to touch one and got her hand pulled; Giddings making the boom motions with his hands. Why take her there?

...just because.

Okay, yeah - the critics had reasons to disapprove. It's pretty much, 'lets put this gal in peril each week'.

Would totally buy the DVD. The other thing that sticks with me was their cabled ROV, seen above. Man, I wanted one of those, almost futuristic looking. The operator pretty much made that ROV like a pet character. Too bad this show has pretty much been long forgotten.

Weatherly would go on to do another water related series, "Baywatch" (1989) for their first season since her character Jill Riley got killed during a shark attack - for ratings. Which failed since NBC canceled it. But show runners got the idea and sold it for syndication - and the rest is history. What bugs me is that producers didn't want Playboy models for "Baywatch". But were okay with Penthouse girls.

What popped in my mind as I wrote this? The Duran Duran song, "Save A Prayer".

Finding any solid photo from the series was next to impossible. I'm lucky to have found that one and it took an hour of fixing just to look like that. Sorry, the best I could muster.

- - -

"Q.E.D." was a former CBS series which ran for six, hour long episodes (all aired), a midseason replacement in 1982. It is largely forgotten. Hell, even I forgot until I stumbled onto it in late March of this year (and watched it back in the day). Sorry about that pix too. Could not find anything better, it is quite the lacking.

Left to right; A.C.Weary as Charlie Andrews, George Innes as Phipps, Caroline Langrishe as Jenny Martin and Sam Waterston (yes that Waterston) as Dr. Quentin E. Deverill.

This was set in pre-World War One, England - 1912. We follow the exploits an eccentric expatriate, Quentin E. Deverill (we never found out what the 'E' stood for). Deverill was an ex-Harvard professor and inventor who had his full - contemporaries ridiculed his ideas. He moves into a manor outside of London.

Along the way he gains a cockney man servant/chauffeur - Phipps. He was a freelance taxi driver who owned his car. Deverill didn't want to deal with it and offer to buy the auto from him. Phipps agreed and drives him to this newly bought home. There the professor offered him a live-in job. A huge upgrade, this too he agrees.

The third member of this assemble is an American reporter, Charlie Andrews. He moved to England seeking adventure, things are afoot here. His position is 'special correspondent' for International Wireless newspaper. Charlie is somewhat of a nuisance to Deverill, but does offer eager, sometimes needed assistance.

The last member was added by accident. This is where things get murky as it does from pilot to series.

After settling in - Betsy Stevens (Sarah Berger) seeks Quentin for help. Her brother has gone missing, a fellow scientist who was in correspondence with Deverill. And more than likely the last person he had contact with. The professor doesn't want to get involved, but she presses him. Use his mind to solve the mystery; her brother's yacht was recovered - abandoned off the British Coast. Deverill manages to extrapolate where the boat was going.

Using the yacht, the four of them find the island and are promptly held in detention. The island is a secret testing site being used for the Kaiser. He knows that war is coming and wants an edge. Scientist and profiteer, Dr. Stefan Kilkiss (Julian Glover) has kidnapped the brother to build him a wireless homing apparatus. Kilkiss has made a rocket for war. It can be aimed in mid-flight. But needs a targeting gadget to fix in. Yes, we're talking about an early blitzkrieg.

Quentin is disgusted by Kilkiss and manages to sabotage the projectile - exploding on the launching pad. Betsy is reunited with her sibling and the gang escape in a hot air balloon - the object has the gadget installed for the test fire. With the rocket disabled they make a getaway back to mainland with Phipps, piloting as it were. He's a man who had a ton of short lived jobs before working for the professor.

Charlie got his story and an adventure. He was there just to interview Deverill - an established academic who rejected his peers back home. Here he first meets Betsy and tries to win her over, but she's not into him like that, friend zoned. He keeps trying.

Once all is done, Betsy inserts herself into the professor's life. He needs a secretary to write up correspondences (she types), answering the phone and doing all the things so that Dr. Deverill can focus on his research, not bothered by daily trivialities. He's caught off guard by her moving-in and realizes he does need a personal assistant beyond Phipps. As the series progressed, Deverill discovers how crucial she has become. From gathering food for Phipps to cook and beyond.

This begins his second life as a scientist sleuth, most of the time - forced into it.

Stevens' actions makes perfect sense from her point of view. At this time, women were not treated on equal footing. The professor isn't progressive - he just doesn't give a crap. As long as you can hold your own and keep up, you were treated the same. Race, gender, age or social status is insignificant, just be a reliable person. Plus she gets to play with the boys in various adventures; she participates, not on the sidelines.

Above is the TV Guide ad for the premier; "Target: London" aired March 23rd, '82. Kilkiss is the one in the top hat. Odd, Phipps isn't in the ad. For the second episode the role was taken over by Langrishe as Miss Jenny. Same difference, but what happened to Betsy? No answer. Are we to accept that Jenny was Stevens? It's never mentioned. But that does happen from pilot to series. *shrugs*

Can kinda see why the Network wanted the change. Berger was somewhat pretty and quite direct - almost pushy. She moved into the manor without consent. Langrishe's character is more attractive and demure (she doesn't curse either), quite feminine.

All the episodes can be seen on YouTube, the quality is 'watchable', it's better than nothing. As I wrote, this takes place in that period of transition from horse drawn carriages to mechanized, modern tech. The world still had exploring to be done. It reminds me of a latter-day, "The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr." (Fox; 1993).

Sure.

"Brisco" took place in 1893; same idea; retro future tech. This had time travel, a rocket too, land pirates (exactly what you're thinking), proto-tank, a ghost, proto-motorcycles and an early zeppelin among a lot of things. Plus a sentient horse too. Its on DVD. A cult classic; steampunk, western serial, just under over-the-top. A Harvard educated lawyer turned bounty hunter, the bizarre travels he finds himself in. And man, that had an outstanding opening credits music by Randy Edelman. So good... it was used for the 1996 Summer Olympics - their theme music and in the NFL too. Quite triumphant.

Left to right; Christian Clemenson as Socrates Poole, Julius Carry as Lord Bowler, Kelly Rutherford as Dixie Cousins (semi-regular), John Astin as Professor Wickwire (semi-regular), Bruce Campbell as Brisco County Jr. and Comet the wonder horse. I should pull out my DVD and rewatch the show.

Hell we also get an Elvis impersonator too; don't fight, just go with it. So batsh!t crazy. And we got a wicked villain in John Bly (Billy Drago) who revels in being evil. Hint... he's a criminal from the future seeking misplaced tech/object sent into the past. *nods* Totally sway. Too bad we only got one season, but it was extended, twenty-seven episodes, not twenty-two. And don't forget, never touch Pete's piece!

Anyhow, if "Q.E.D." were to come to home video - it would be a two disc set. Maybe have a vintage EPK and series promos along with some TV and radio spots. A commentary on the pilot would be grand. And a retrospective featurette with cast would be welcomed. Oh well... just dreaming.

There you go. Not one of my strongest entries and yeah, I know. Sort of went all over the place. *shrugs* Come back here on July 23rd, 2020 for a musical excursion.

Credits
    Target - July 7th, 2020

Trolls: World Tour
    Exclusive gallery book; BD/DVD/DC combo $26.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Boy Becomes A Man, Becomes A King Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on May 21st, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we get a sleeper gem; how magic with heart can create a modern classic - "Stardust"...

The motion picture opened on August 10th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $70,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $38 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $135,560,026. The film opened number four at the box office, the following week it dropped to number five.

The feature opened against "The Bourne Ultimatum", "The Simpsons Movie" and "Rush Hour 3".

There was no slipcover issued, nor any inserts. This streeted on December 18th, 2007 for $29.99.

- - -

Bought my copy not on street, but in January 2008 - a blind buy, based on overwhelming positive reviews.

There was a single exclusive from from Wal-Mart.

This was an added slipcover, post release. A tactic that Wal-Mart is well known for... tricking you into thinking an older release was new. I am sorry, fuzzy on the release.

Can't give an exact date. I should've, but didn't make notes, I apologize. I can tell you it happened in 2010 and sold for $9.98.

This was only seen for two weeks on the racks. Poof, gone - like it never happened; have no idea how rare this thing is. The backside is different from the case's wraparound.

Above is the regular DVD cover.

And yes, I was naughty once again to acquire. *cough*

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

While researching I made some discoveries - which saddens me.

Movie was released on February 25th, 2008 in the United Kingdom for £19.99.

This region 2 DVD came with an extra missing from the U.S. release - commentary by writer/director Matthew Vaughn and co-writer Jane Goldman.

Came on Blu-Ray (region 1) on September 7th, 2010 for $29.99. This carried over the commentary and added a five part documentary, "Crossing The Wall: The Making Of Stardust". Plus a featurette, "Nothing Is True" along with the rest of the DVD extras.

*sigh*

Too bad this wasn't re-released on DVD as a deluxe edition - would buy in a heartbeat; two disc set?

Found some other trivia, that most have forgotten. *nods*

Paramount announced the home video release on August 27th, 2007 - two weeks after the film opened across America. That's pretty damn quick. Perhaps it was done since they felt, at the time it was bombing. Get it out as fast as possible to recoup their losses. Not the case when counting foreign box offices.

- - -

Invisible reflections now rendered in blood.
    - Dust Is Noise

This was the failed big screen adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel of the same name. The movie is different than the book, but in a nice way.

I am not alone - this is such an endearing movie. I put it into the same category as "The Princess Bride" (1987). It's just that good, lightening in a bottle. Hell, that's even a plot point; can not say enough good things about this.

At its heart, this is a coming of age story. Since not that many or enough have seen...

It is the late 1800s in England, the English village of "Wall". The place is named after a long wall that's near the locale.

Tristan Thorn (Charlie Cox) is infatuated with the prettiest girl in town, Victoria (Sienna Miller). But he's a wannabe and is one of many who seek Victoria's attention. Tristan sees a falling star and thinks this will be his way in. She agrees to marry him if he brings the fallen rock to her. She knows he has a zero chance and was said to make him stop pestering her.

Tristan is delighted he will finally get the girl of his dreams and goes to seek the meteorite, but his path is blocked by an old man who guards the stone wall next to town which is named after. And gets beaten up by the elderly fellow, 'you can not pass'.

There is a good reason - that stone barrier is actually a real barrier... to an alternate Earth. A place called, Stormhold. A place where magik exist.

Tristan manages to jump over the wall and ends up on the other side. Too stupid or innocent to realize, he continues his quest to find that rock. He locates the impact site, but not a meteorite - a young woman, Yvaine (Claire Danes). She's an Eternal who has come down - to live life like a mortal, an act of rebellion.

The promise remains - Victoria will marry him when presented with the falling star. Okay, this is a person. He chains her and forces her to go with him, saying he promises to let her go once shown to his would-be wife.

While this is going on, the king of Stormhold (Peter O'Toole) is dying, on his death bed. As is their custom, the royal enchanted jewel necklace is ejected from the castle. It's somewhere in the kingdom. The king has several sons who want the throne.

The first who finds it - of royal blood will become king. The hunt for the jewel begins.

The ruthless of the sons, Septimus (Mark Strong) murders his siblings to increase his odds. Seeking info on where the jewel might be, he learns of Yvaine and the legend that accompany such an event. If Yvaine's heart is taken (cut out) and eaten, the person will become immortal... an immortal king. His quest goes into two directions from that point; find that necklace and that Eternal.

Adding to the trouble is a trio of old witches - "The Lilim" who want Yvaine too. Their alpha, Lamia (Michelle Pfeiffer) wants the fallen star to regain her beauty, forever young. Forever powerful.

While finding the spot where Yvaine fell was mostly easy. Tristan gets lost in Stormhold and discovers what's going on and does his best to protect her; far more than a wedding gift/meeting. This takes the couple on an adventure over land and in the air once they meet a sky pirate, Captain Shakespeare (Robert de Niro), a fellow traveler from Earth who decided to stay in Stormhold, it was profitable. He has a cool arc.

It is during this time that Tristan grows and sees his quest as a foolish one. He didn't really love Victoria. Yvaine grows as someone he admires and fallen for... the feeling is mutual. But this coupling takes a back seat because of Septimus and Lamia.

It culminates in an epic, yes used correctly - 'epic' sword fight between Septimus and Tristan at the castle; quite inventive. I'll stop here. There's a lot more that happens.

Still amazed this remains a sleeper, so under rated. Years from now folks will be wondering 'why didn't we hear about this earlier?'

By the way, a pre-famous Henry Cavill plays Humphrey, one of the sons. And Ricky Gervais steals his scenes as Ferdy The Fence, turns out most of his lines were ad libbed.

Above; Lamia seeking information from Ferdy about the whereabouts of the fallen star. The movie is fried gold, do seek it out. And no Shakespeare isn't Shakespeare, he took that name since it sounded violent; shake-spear to cut up and kill. *wink*

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

I have so many to write about. But I want to focus on just two this time. Welcome to Volume Four of "Dead TV Shows Not On Home Video". Yes we're in filler country, taste the void - it has hints of cinnamon. *nods*

"OceanQuest" - This former show aired on NBC in 1985. It was a pseudo-documentary, hour long series. Sea adventurer/underwater cinematographer and documentarian, Al Giddings wanted to do a show focused on ocean environments and conservation. How to get the public on board?

Get a person with zero diving experience - put them in a crash course SCUBA training and free style diving. And take this novice around the globe; film on location (not video tape). We experience these undersea explorations through their eyes. That person... a hot girl, who spends most of her time in high cut swim wear. *nods* A winning combination that - didn't. It was panned by critics and failed to find an audience.

Who did they get? The 1980 Miss USA and [B[Miss Universe[/B] (won both in the same year) - Shawn Weatherly, above. She played an active role, not simply eye candy. She was serious about her involvement.

For purposes of dramatic clarity, some scenes have been re-created and the order of events rearranged.
    - opening narration

A beautiful woman is pushed to the limit when she trades a year of her life for a lifetime of adventure.
    - NBC promo voice over

It was a single season, all five episodes aired. What sticks in my mind was Weatherly appearing on "Late Night With David Letterman" (NBC) promoting the show. Her appearance was near Christmas. The set was adorn with festive decorations.

Credits
    Best Buy - July 14th, 2020

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $39.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Still Believing Part II

Tangent.

You're looking at an arcade video game based on the band. Had long forgotten until doing various research for the post.

Now long dead, pretty much existing in the memories of Gen-Xers and Boomers is the former discount store chain, TG&Y it was much like how RiteAid is now. Our "Five And Dime". A bit of everything on a smaller scale. What lingers for me is how decent their toy section was. I'm still seeking an old Tomy wind-up portable game. Only saw it at the store and only a couple of times. The concept was a submarine that shoots out a wind-up torpedo, point at the target and let it go. It would be kinda random as the thing hopped forward. Still don't know its name.

Tomy had similar themed wind-up games; from golfing, bowling, boxing, basketball and a few others. They came inside a folding case with storage and a built in handle; portable games for children.

The point?

In front of the check-out was a couple of arcade games, cabinet enclosures. They were next to the quarter vending machines that popped out those random plastic eggs with prizes inside. But that video game was short lived - was there for a few weeks and pulled. Probably since it did so little game play. It was in an awkward location where there's a lot of foot traffic, would be hard to concentrate.

Stepping back. The game was released in March of 1983 from Bally Midway. This was the first time a video game had digitized sprites - characters using photographs of real people. I was super impressed when I saw it, not game graphics, real photos (in low res). There is even more history here.

The head photos used in the game were taken by Ralph Baer. He's the guy who is considered the father of home video game consoles. His system - Magnovoxx Odyssey was the very system to play at home... September of 1972.

The game?

Wild alien Groupoids have seized Journey's electro supercharged instruments. Your mission is to help Journey retrieve their instruments from the dangers of five galaxies. Trek through hazardous obstacles in quest of each instrument and then battle your way back to the Scarab vehicle. When all five missions are completed Journey begins a spectacular concert at the Galactic Stadium. Journey plays their hit song [a midi version] while Herbie guards the stage from frenzied Groupoids who are trying to take the instruments.
    - Opening screen

Before the game begins there's some text on the right hand bottom...

Joystick controls band member's movement. Use blast button to clear return path after instrument has been retrieved.
    While each level is played a midi version of one of their songs plays.

The song playing as they go from one galaxy to the next is "When The Lights Go Down In The City".

1st Galaxy - Microphone: Steve Perry must successfully navigate various turnstiles (swinging gates) without touching (getting wacked). Get his microphone and shoot is way back to the Scarab. Song is "Don't Stop Believing".

2nd Galaxy - Bass Guitar: Ross Valory must successfully leap on and off elevated pedestals. Not to fall to his death and jump as it were to get his guitar and shoot is way back to the Scarab. Song is "Keep On Running".

3rd Galaxy - Keyboard: Jonathan Cain must successfully jump over obstacles on a multi-level conveyor belt to reach his keyboard and shoot is way back to the Scarab. Song is "Stone In Love".

4th Galaxy - Guitar: Neal Schon with his jet pack must successfully traverse an underground cavern without falling or touching the walls to get his guitar and shoot is way back to the Scarab. Song is "Chain Reaction".

5th Galaxy - Drums: Steve Smith must jump onto various free floating... drums to get to his supercharged drums. The catch is he must jump onto each floater at least once before he can get his instrument. And shoot is way back to the Scarab. Song is "Wheel In the Sky".

The some of the instruments are not stationary which creates complications. As you can see, this becomes quite repetitious.

Herbie by the way is a morbidly obese bouncer. Or is a 'Space Bouncer'? The final... level at the concert is petty much just controlling Herbie from left to right and vise versa. Pushing the 'Groupoids' from entering one of three doors below the stage. Both of his hands go up and down as he moves, kinda like "Donkey Kong" or he's doing a poor job at bitch slapping.

Successful arcade games usually wind-up in home versions, but this is the first time that an unsuccessful home game became a successful arcade game. Now of course, we're talking about "Journey" - the machine that stars a rock group and is patterned loosely after last year's "Journey Escapes". "Journey" is really eleven different games, five basic racks represent the five members of the band. First you complete a task to get a band member's instrument - then you fight off attackers before you go onto the next band member. After all five musicians have been reunited with their instruments; the band plays a mini- concert for you. And then in the final board, you maneuver a fat bouncer to keep the groupies from robbing the band. The computer pictures of the band and the sound reproduction are superior.
    - from what appears to be a short local TV news review of the video game by Patrick Scott Patterson

What? This video game has six levels, together - where do you get eleven? I'm being dead serious, that's poor math. So what's "their hit song" that plays at the concert? Can't answer, it is dominated by generic sound effects of Herbie repelling the Groupoids. If he fails and just one of them enters a door, Herbie flees and the stage is rushed, taking the instruments once more. Oh joy. You can find game play videos on YouTube. It's not that impressive today, all the levels are weak.

So? Why was this broken into two parts? Couldn't this all fit as a single entry?

Nope. Too many characters, even before the images were added. And I didn't want to widdle down the info presented. Did a good amount of research to have it deleted for space.

Come back here on August 13th, 2020 for another store exclusive. *shrugs* Don't know what it will be, but I'm fairly certain it might be interesting. Can you read the confidence in my text?

One more bit - that 'Space Bouncer' was named after the band's manager - Herbie Herbert. Why yes, I'm a fan of the band. *wink* They were an iconic 1980s pop group. Would go so far to say has popular as "Duran Duran".

Credits
    Past Tense - Still Believing Part I

Another brand new entry! And my very first music PT listing (sway!); concert footage and music videos collection from Journey...

It streeted against "Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector's Edition", "The Andromeda Strain" (A&E mini-series) and "Weeds: Season Three". Pix above, left to right; Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Jonathan Cain, Steve Perry and Ross Valory.

This set came in a thin card stock slipcase. It holds the DVD and a pocket space for the CD. No inserts for the DVD.

- - -

This was a Best Buy exclusive - but NOT new, other than the slipcase.

The DVD, "Journey: Greatest Hits 1978 - 1997" is a combo of music videos and live performances. This release came out on November 25th, 2003 for $14.95. The CD, "Journey: Greatest Hits" came out on August 1st, 2006 (reissue), not remastered. The original hit stores on November 15th, 1988 as a digipak with 15 tracks. I apologize, I have no clue on the CD price.

Tracks

1 Only The Young
    2 Don't Stop Believin'
    3 Wheel In The Sky
    4 Faithfully
    5 I'll Be Alright Without You
    6 Any Way You Want It
    7 Ask The Lonely
    8 Who's Crying Now
    9 Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
    10 Lights
    11 Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
    12 Open Arms
    13 Girl Can't Help It
    14 Send Her My Love
    15 Be Good to Yourself
    16 When You Love A Woman (Bonus Track)

"Journey: Greatest Hits CD+DVD 1978 - 1997 Collector's Fan Pack" streeted on June 3rd, 2008 for $14.99. Can't say how many per store. Did not buy when it came out (I do remember seeing it at my store); well over a decade after the fact - was bought off eBay for $7.00 with free shipping in April 2020.

Above is the weekly ad; it was separate from the regular DVD showcase, highlighting that week's music titles for sale.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

It's a mixed bag. The CD does have a bonus track, but all of the songs in the compilation as said a moment ago - were not remastered. That's kinda cheap, feels like a quick cash grab. *nods*

Then you have the DVD, above you can see the screen snaps from the two menu screens. Yeah, it's that poor. Did not bother to enhance or some kind of improvement. No remastered done in here either. Then it gets worse.

This music video collection is actually incomplete. It has concert footage and videos. The problem is there is no overlap. They made the choice to have concert footage instead of having the corresponding music video.

Wheel In The Sky (1978)
    Faithfully (1983)
    Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) (1983)
    Lights (1978)
    Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (1979)
    When You Love A Woman (1996)
    Send Her My Love (1983)
    Just The Same Way (1980)
    Feeling That Way (1978)
    After The Fall (1983)

Those were the only music videos, the rest is live footage. To be honest, I've never been into concert titles - I much rather have the music videos. I didn't have cable growing up, no MTV. So viewing music videos were difficult for me. Remember, this is pre-internet.

*deep sigh*

So we have a collection of tunes which are incomplete and not remastered.

Here's the thing, there would've been room to have the band's full music video compendium on disc. But that didn't happen. It's better than nothing, true. But quite lackluster and that's a shame. The band is awesome, a power house in the 1980s, they deserved better than this.

Yes, I did see it. The DVD cover does say "I" as in 'Volume I'. But there was never any further collection. So no, that doesn't help.

Credits
    Best Buy - August 4th, 2020

Inception
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

The Town
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $24.99

Credits
    Past Tense

Another brand new entry! This week we get a TV movie that got turned into a single short television series in "Powderkeg"...

I have no stats, this was a made for TV movie, backdoor pilot for CBS. And unless I'm mistaken, this is the very first television movie appearing as a Past Tense. I CAN tell you, this aired on April 16th, 1971.

Since this was released on a Friday, I'm gonna go with what titles were released on March 26th, new releases day. When it streeted, it was with "The Borgias: The Second Season", "Lincoln", "Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One" and "Killing Them Softly".

This came in a regular DVD case, matted wraparound with no insert. I added an index card with the air date and network info.

- - -

This was an Amazon exclusive, one of their M.O.D. (manufacture on demand) DVD-R titles. An official release that came out on March 29th, 2013 for $9.98.

Oh man, this... is a disservice to the show. Such a half-a$$ effort that Amazon should be ashamed.

The cover reads: "Digitally Remastered", pardon? No, no it is not. In fact this looks like it was taken from a second or third generation VHS copy. Not a joke. The image quality is crap on a cracker.

Before I got into this, let me set the stage for his movie and subsequent series which is also on DVD (three discs) and so much better. Released by Timeless Media Group on May 14th, 2013 for $19.95.

"Bearcats!: The Complete Series" is out print since Timeless Media Group no longer exists. And is NOT complete since the set is missing pilot movie. Just be clear, yes - their hair was 1970s style as well as were some of the fashions, just a bit. Not fully authentic which is how period TV was back then.

At its core this is a modern-western; the year is 1914, Hank Brackett (Rod Taylor) and Johnny Reach (Dennis Cole) are partners. They are freelance adventurers (soldiers of fortune would be more accurate) who will do the jobs which are impossible, they get it done. Their exploits come at a price... they want to be paid with a blank check. They will fill in the numbers on what they feel their job was worth.

These men are the last line when all else have failed. If you need to put a dollar amount to your woes, you don't call them. No horses used, but horsepower - the gimmick is the duo ride around in a Stutz Bearcat sports car ('14). The movie...

The men are hired by a railroad magnate after one of his trains is hijacked while coming from Mexico. Taken by "The Morales Gang", former revolutionaries gone bitter. Lead by Chucho [Morales] (Fernando Lamas) who wants his brother released from jail in exchange for the train and their seventy-three hostages; his brother (Michael Ansara) is going to be executed (hung) in days for his crimes in New Mexico.

Among the captives is the daughter of the tycoon's friend who was killed in the heist. It's a complicated tale of them using their car and a bi-plane to halt the train. Even going so far to blow-up a bridge. A story that's more complicated as it goes, there are people sabotaging their efforts.

The actress, Luciana Paluzzi who plays Juanita Sierra-Perez is a Bond girl. She was a femme fatale in "Thunderball" (1965); she was the S.P.E.C.T.R.E. agent Fiona, the girl on the lethal motorcycle hunting 007.

Story wise, a solid popcorn flick, like the later series (thirteen episodes). The car used in the pilot was the real deal; a genuine Bearcat goes for $150,000 - 200,000 today. It was assembled through a Hollywood movie car rental agency. Today that TV movie car is held in a private collection in California.

For the later series, they couldn't rely on a single car that might break down - it was fifty-seven years old after all. Two full sized replicas were created by George Barris, the mocks had hand built chassis with 1960s Ford engines and transmissions. Should be known, Barris is the guy who made the Batmobile for the 1966 "Batman" series and Munster's car on "The Munsters" (1964).

His autos are iconic.

Anyhow, I have so little data to work with. I can tell you, "Powderkeg" had a limited theatrical release in the United Kingdom; a 1972 double feature with "The Chastity Belt ".

See that? That's the menu screen on the Amazon exclusive, the picture quality is very good. Too bad that's not the quality of the movie. It appears that image was sourced from a promotional image.

No options other than 'Play'. Does it have chapters? Yes - three of them. Which have such odd placements, like they didn't know what they were doing. Surprise!

It has a run time of 93 minutes. As as you can see, zero extras. The original CBS 'Sunday Night Movie' opening would've been nice.

Nope.

So I'm not going to do any kind of image enhancements - zero. Why bother? *throws hands in the air*

*long deep sigh* Yup that's how it looks. The image is either too dark or over-exposed. And you can see the cassette image line on the second picture. Can it get worse? Yes. Yes it can!

They have tracking issues - the picture jumps, jitters like it has A.D.D.. Plus the movie is presented in weak, window box, a frame around the video. I can say the audio is decent, if that counts for anything. Hint... it doesn't.

Here's another bit of trivia; that bi-plane is a Curtiss JN-4 that didn't fly until 1915. Yeah, they weren't sticklers to history.

Above is a snap from the later TV series. As you can see the picture quality is decent for forty-nine year old show. It is quite serviceable as was the series. I liked it, part of my collection. Which is a story. I was lost in 2015 or so on Amazon; a link to a link and so - seeing what the site would offer as recommendation. I ended up on the complete series page, caught my attention. Sounds interesting, made a mental bookmark and moved on.

It wasn't until April of 2017 that I bought the show and July 2020 when I purchased the pilot. What stands out for me is the time when they modded their car to become a machine gun, the spinning rear wheel. That Bearcat gets pretty much modded for each episode. So what would I do here (pilot) if I could?

I would have the movie transferred from original film reels, not a cassette - remaster it... but I want more. Want a recording of the original broadcast with the original Sunday promo (can be a tape) - do the best that could be done on that, picture quality.

And here's the thing. You have the option to watch the movie by itself, seamless branching or as the 1971 two hour telecast. Using the tape find the commercials which aired and remastered them too, adding them to the appropriate spots. Just like how it aired. How sway would that be? *nods*

One last bit of before I close. The M.O.D. was made for Amazon by TGG Direct, LLC. Oh yeah, the disc has pressed art which mirrors the menu screen, like it was a real DVD (not a printed label sticker). TGG Direct isn't known for quality DVDs (transfers). There you go.

Sorry about this being late, I forgot. Should've been posted on the 13th. Anyhow, I'm a bit fuzzy on what is coming next time; August 27th, 2020. Have an idea, but I'm waiting for an item to arrive before I announce; let alone start the write-up. If it can happen in August - it will NOT be a Past Tense, but something different. Something I've been wanting to do for over a year, concept. Call it quality filler.

Credits
    Best Buy - August 18th, 2020

Your Name
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $27.99

Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast