Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense - The Damned And Absurd Part III

Footnotes.

Some odds and ends.

1) This was the first Blu-Ray release to have a 'picture-in-picture" (Profile 1.1) feature. But not that great of an extra since... A) You could pretty much only access through PS3 players. The only stand alone BD player that could was the Panasonic BD30. B)

AND what was shown in the second screen often had nothing to do with what you're watching.

2) This was the first of the "Resident Evil" movies NOT to have a VHS release, the films before did. How crazy is that?

3) This was the last of the RE films where the DVD version had the same extras as BD (minus that PiP - which as it turns out was sliced up moments from the featurettes on the disc).

Something else; that Wal-Mart exclusive, two disc set later appeared at Best Buy, minus that sticker - I can only assume that Sony extended the expiration on the Digital Copy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

You know the drill, five titles. Find them where you can and watch with friends or... alone in the dark.

"Dark City: Director's Cut" (1998)
    A man wakes up in a seedy motel with no memory of how he got there or his name. It becomes clear, rather quickly - he's wanted by multiple people. One of which is the police seeking him for a series of murders, including a dead prostitute - ritualistically killed in his room. And by an unknown group of men called "The Strangers". The pursuit starts his quest to uncover his past - is he a forgotten serial-killer? Why is this metropolis in perpetual twilight? Who is John Murdoch? Who is Dr. Schreber? Are these gray skinned men part of a conspiracy? The deeper he goes, the more shattering the truth becomes. What is reality? Why can't anybody leave the city? A sci-fi, film noir feature. Go with the director's cut, a richer film.
    New Line Home Entertainment - 2008 -NR

"Jeruzalem" (2015)
    The biblical apocalypse has arrived. A found footage feature, Google Glass. Americans Rachel Klein and Sarah Pullman have decided to vacation in Tel Aviv, Israel; before that happens they meet university student Kevin Reed. He offers to take the young women on a private tour of Jerusalem, Sarah fancies him and convinces Rachel to join. Along the way they add a fourth; Omar, a local Palestinian - son of their hostel owner. The two couples are having a good time, partying and touring. Then it all comes crashing down... the gates of Hell have opened. What is reported as terrorist attacks - isn't. Jerusalem is on lock down (locale on curfew), quarantined - anyone trying to escape is shot dead; the military is carpet bombing parts of the city. The four attempt to flee by underground tunnels and find the true reason, demons. Not just the damned, it's an infection and more than one of their group has been corrupted. No happy ending - the end is here.
    Epic Pictures Releasing - 2018 - R

"Killer High" (2018)
    Made for SyFy Channel TV movie (aired October 20th, 2018). Sabrina Swanson is an alpha, but got held back in life; after graduating high school had to take care of her terminal mother - no college, no life and no leaving town. In the intervening years, Wallingham has fallen on hard times, most have moved out/on, but not Sabrina. With the passing of her mom, she has taken the reins of the Class Of 2008 high school reunion. When the booked venue is a bust - deposit stolen. She's on a crunch for a new location... their old, closed down high school. What was supposed to be a night of fun, laughter and nostalgia turns into a blood bath. The school's mascot, a warthog (cursed costume) has returned as a hulking demonic beast, stalking and murdering attendees. Worse yet, no help is coming, Wallingham is pretty much a ghost town, not even cell reception. Left with little choice, Sabrina and her school rival, Rosario Stewart join forces to save who they can and stop the monster from obtaining its dark goal. A horror comedy. Too bad the film didn't include the song "Cheerleader Effect" by CARPENTER BRUT, a perfect fit. For a basic cable flick, it is dominated by practical effects and gore - over the top gore made TV friendly by presenting it in bullet time. Plus fresh takes on horror tropes.
    Uncork’D Entertainment - 2019 - NR

"The River: The Complete First Season" (2012)
    This is a short lived TV series which ran for eight weeks on ABC, but bombed in the ratings, not well known - tried to be the next "Lost" (2004). Found-footage program, co-created by Oren Peli; the writer, producer and director of "Paranormal Activity" (2007) and co-produced by Steven Spielberg. Dr. Emment Cole is a famous children's TV personality, his show ran for years, beloved by millions across the planet. He traveled the globe exposing his audience to nature and wonders. But not by everyone, he was a stranger to his son, Lincoln and he was on the show as a boy. While in production in the Amazon, Cole and crew... vanished. Six months later Lincoln is implored by his mother, Tess to find him - emergency beacon activated. The answer is "no". But that's the only way it can happen - his participation; the condition of the financiers. A documentary company is footing the bill to record the search and want direct connections to the show, adult Lincoln. He reluctantly agrees. Their crew include Lene Landry, the daughter of the missing cameraman. Along with Kurt Brynildson their ship's captain and security. The deeper they travel down the river, the deeper the mystery unfolds - Dr. Cole was going into uncharted territory, seeking genuine magik - the real reason why he had a TV show. Careful what you wish for. This was canceled before a resolution, the setup was made for season two; rescuers become lost themselves by dark forces who want them dead or damned. Deeply creepy at times.
    Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. - 2012 - NR

"These Final Hours" (2013)
    This is the end. There is no Bruce Willis nor Robert Duvall to save us at the last possible minute. It has already happened, hope is lost. An asteroid has impacted in the North Atlantic - because of its location, Australia will be the last place on Earth to burn as the fiery shock wave surrounds them. It is an extinction level event. This is known by the population - who are having the party to end all parties. James wants to have sex with his girlfriend Vicky and his side girl Zoe - do some drugs and fade. On the way to the party he is nearly killed by a crazed man - fleeing, he sees a tween, abducted; about to be gang raped. James intervenes, saving Rose. She tells him, she wants to find her dad, they were separated on their way to her aunt's home. He just wants to go numb at the party. James takes her along hoping to dump her on someone else. But it becomes quite clear - there isn't anyone else. He wants redemption for a wasted life, if only a bit; opts to do the right thing - help this girl with her solace. A somber and violent film. How will you spend these final hours? An excellent companion with "Miracle Mile" (1988).
    Well Go USA Entertainment - 2013 - NR

It's too bad the next "Resident Evil" movie is planned as a reboot, not another sequel. Other than the James Bond films, I can't think of a current franchise that centers on world building, minus "The Avengers" films.

Spooooky! There is more chills coming next week with an immortal serial killer, a real camper - has some serious issues with teens having intercourse. *nods* See you then.

Credits
    Past Tense - Documenting A Killer Tween In Brute's Body Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 2nd, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

It was a few minutes before you located that missing devil dog. It had moved into the den and was pushing some of the furnitures, shifting others and pull downs. You blink slower and think about the mess that will need to be cleaned. And ponder why even buy new things again - if this crap is gonna happen every year. They're busting your stuff; unless you move all your vital stuff in storage a month before this date...

More thoughts on property then it hits you - you're slowing, epiphany moments have a lag. The beast is trying to get to an air vent you had hidden with various heavy furnitures. Like with laser focus it had caught a whiff of you and is trying to get *into the ventilation system to reach this room*. All this work. All this effort was going to add up to nothing. And just like that you became a spectator of your own potential death.

The alpha gave a... a noise. The mics were still off, but the level had spiked for a moment. The fiend call his pack to help him chew open the grate. They rushed in and proceeded to join in the metal mauling. From the camera angle you couldn't get a good view. *Were those a few teeth flying in the air?* Blood? Why are they not stopping in pain? That's like chewing on barb wires and still going at it.

Within a few minutes they had pulled part of the grate open. This is probably how the bridge officers felt on the Titanic as they saw the iceberg - unable to change course. Watching as fate is coming for them.

Less than a minute later the alpha had pulled itself into the vent, then a second, a third and so on. How long before they reach this room? You search the room for the vent on your end. And see it above you, next to boxes of supplies. There is nothing in here high enough to cover that opening. Let alone be strong enough to hold them back.

At this moment, the dogs are all inside the vent seeking this room. You could flee without them knowing, but where? There is only so many places to hide now since they examined the home. This is what you feared, having to do combat with the beasts. But there little choice now. They'll find this room soon enough and that metal grate will not protect you from them. At that moment a thought popped.

They're still dogs... dogish. You pull out the sheet from the bed in the room and take off your shirt. You rub that sheet all over your chest and face, putting your scent on it. And tossed it behind that monitor desk, the only thing big enough to give them something close to a hard time. Let them think you're still in the room hiding.

You grab your sword and as many arrows as you could carry along with a bow; quietly as possible, open the door, each of the tumblers came undone. You give a worrisome yawn, worrisome since it lasted way too long. The sleeping pill is taking effect. Another thought, a 'maybe'. You open the door again, rushing in and taking that bed outside, lifting it up. The mattress was left behind, not important.

The door is set to lock itself from the inside. You hope this will work. The devil dogs all plop into the panic room; smell your scent inside and trash the place to find you - that hidden sheet. Discovering the deception they exit... but can't. Too high to reach the vent and that grate will broken inward. They need some kind of leverage to get out. But there is none and no bed to stand on either. Trapped.

Could happen.

You think on it and decided to go into the attic, the opposite direction of where they're at. Pull up the door when inside. Even try to lock it with something and stay as quiet as possible. Wait for dawn. Dawn? What happens when they are called back from wherever they came from, but those dogs can't depart??? You can't think that far ahead - you pull down the attic ladder and silently sprinted up. Once inside, pulled up the ladder and closed the door. Looking about - found a seldom used golf club to lock the door. Nothing more to do, you lay down on the floor, hand on chest, scared. Any second from now they'll enter your makeshift trap.

Then what? Damn, your eyes are getting heavy. Can't sleep now, may never wake up... EVER.

You're still here? Good, witness the third week of "Limited Edition Horror" 2020; another three parter! This time we get the ultimate franchise documentary (eleven hours), "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History Of Friday The 13th"...

There is next to zero stats. This title was a direct to video release. And I have no info on how much it cost to produce (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo).

The doc was released on September 13th, 2013, a Friday. This streeted against nothing since Tuesdays is when new titles traditionally come out. I can tell you this release is region free.

There was no slipcover nor insert issued.

- - -

There was a single exclusive and I have no idea how rare this is; the numbers are unknown to me. If you pre-ordered this set through their official website - you got a bonus DVD. It has more interviews with the folks who made the films.

This collection sold online for $29.95. The bonus has a run time of 4:20 hours. Yes, hours. The exclusive came inside a CD envelope within the Blu-Ray case; a four disc case (two for BD and two for DVD). A few years back I found a five disc BD case with the same thickness as the original, so I've moved everything into that. Quite sway.

When this exclusive was first announced (pre-orders only), the bonus was going to be a DVD-R. But for the release it changed to a genuine pressed disc. I'm so glad, I hate MODs.

That exclusive is raw. *nods*

What you see in the exclusive (extended interviews) are the folks in front of a green screens. This footage had not been finished, no post effect - backdrop/clips inserted. That's cool, we're getting lots of cool stories and dialogue on the making of the films.

Quite extensive - minus "Jason X" (2001), which was just glanced over (the main doc). The bonus has an extended talk with Melyssa Ade, she played Janessa in "Jason X". I can see why that footage was not included in the main doc. It must have been hot during the interview or she was real nervous. Not being mean, just an observation; she has major sweat stains under her arm pits. You can't miss them - center stage. She talking, getting quite animated and there they are.

So glad I bought this when I did. While I'm a casual fan of the movies, this project was a true labor of love and it shows, quite fascinating.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

When the documentary came out, lots of folks were complaining - from both camps; those who didn't want the Blu-Ray and those who didn't want the DVDs. This set was re-released DVD only, a two disc collection on June 3rd, 2014 for $19.95, above pix.

Since it was so popular it was re-re-released in flavors.

There are a lot of editions.

On September 8th, 2015 it was given to each format; Blu-Ray ($29.95) and DVD ($19.98) only (from Image Entertainment), both were two disc sets. Man, looks like the five disc combo version is selling for $399.50 on Amazon. As I said, it's rare. Above is the '15 editions.

While researching made a discovery, dead now, but it's something.

For a limited time in 2020 that third, exclusive DVD was available to buy on its own - $13.00 (includes shipping). That offer ended on the September 28th. Looks like it came in a double sided cardboard long sleeve; cover art on the front and chapter listing on the back. The disc got shipped on October 13th.

Anyhow, this documentary originally had an August 27th, 2013 release, but moved to September 13th for the obvious reason.

Our horror lesson is narrated by Corey Feldman who played Tommy Jarvis in "Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter" (1984). The doc is book ended with camp footage (newly filmed) of him telling campers the history of Jason Voorhees. That was quite nice.

There's an interesting black and white video of Tom McLoughlin, director of "Jason Lives: Friday The 13th Part VI" (1986). About? It's a short about him wanting to haunt his grave after he dies (Hollywood Forever Cemetery). An invitation for people to visit his future grave; that after he passes, he will try to contact (through sound and/or sight) from the other side.

This isn't a joke, he's dead serious - not a pun. It's fascinating. Incidentally that was the place where McLoughlin filmed his horror film, "One Dark Night" (1982).

By the way, the doc has two interview footage of McLoughlin; one from the last "Friday The 13th" documentary from 2009, the other newly filmed for this project. As you can see above, he's aged - the left picture, still rockin' the mullet.

Credits
    Past Tense - Documenting A Killer Tween In Brute's Body Part II

Okay lets talk about it.

As mentioned this wasn't the first "Friday" retrospective.

"His Name Was Jason: 2 Disc Splatter Edition" was the first effort by the folks responsible for "Crystal Lake Memories", a direct to video release for the franchise's 30th anniversary on February 3rd, 2009. And probably done to rise awareness of the then new "Friday The 13th" movie. Which is pretty good by the why, I liked it.

Why did we need another effort? While the first doc has various cast and crew interviews, but it's all rather brief and feels much like a fluff piece - no real depth. I have that DVD set, bought from Best Buy.

The first pressing (only) came with a slipcover and mini comic book inside. It sold for $19.97. A chunk of the interviews here reappear on "Crystal Lake Memories". I know some had a problem with that; not everything here is absolutely new. *shakes head* The stories told are still valid. Whatever.

Okay let me take a step further back.

The same guys who did this, also did other franchise documentaries. *nods*

Before "Crystal Lake Memories" there was "More Brains!: A Return To The Living Dead - The Definitive Return Of The Living Dead Documentary". The single disc title (direct to video) was released on October 18th, 2011 for $19.95. The first pressing came with a slipcover (with different artwork) and an exclusive 12"x18" print (folded inside the case) of the doc's poster by artist Carl Ramsey.

I might add, it's autographed by actors Beverly Randolph (Tina), Brian Peck (Scuz) and James Karen (Frank). This offer was only available from their official website; October 1st through December 20th, 2011. And it came with a chapter listing insert too.

The documentary has a run time of four hours. And barely mentions Return Of The Living Dead... "Rave To The Grave" and "Necropolis" (both 2005), as they should. Those films are cheap Sci-Fi Channel productions. Stay away! Don't bother watching them, you're wasting your time and probably money (as I did). The ONLY bright spot on them is Aimee Lynn Chadwick, but she can't save these turds (I'm being kind, have much harsher words).

Anyhow, my grip is that the main focus of the documentary is on the first movie and it's trouble production. This would've made a great two disc set with more time spent on Part II and Part III. It's detailed, yes, but could've been more deeper. I still recommend, it's very good. But could've been better. If you just love Part I, then you'll absolutely adore this release.

Will give them points for having the final interview with writer/director (first installment) Dan O'Bannon (the screenwriter of "Alien" [1979]). Sway.

Before that doc, there was another...

These guys also did "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - The Ultimate Nightmare Documentary"; released on May 4th, 2010 (also direct to video). Above is their re-release, 'Collector's Edition' DVD on October 5th later that year.

Difference?

The CE has a running commentary by the film makers along with extended interviews, a foil slipcover and an exclusive 12"x18" print (folded inside the case) of the doc's poster by artist Matthew Joseph Peak. This DVD also comes with a new stereo 2.0 mix. Do not have, need to get; I have the first pressing which sold for $24.99.

This documentary has a run time of four hours. Man, this was riveting - there is so much history I wasn't aware of. Even at four hours it feels short - I wanted more. You will too (if you're a fan). Recommended.

And even before that...

They did "Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror"; another direct to video release (from Anchor Bay). It streeted on July 25th, 2006 for $19.98, a two disc set. This was their first doc project and has a run time of eight four minutes. It cover the films, but not nearly as comprehensive as the other documentaries they have done. Disc two is footage, "Halloween" panel discussion from "Return To Haddonfield Convention" 2005.

That came with an embossed slipcover and two inserts; two page booklet and mini (twenty-six page) comic book, "Halloween: Autopsis" from Paranormal Pictures comics. Tells the story of a photojournalist who becomes obsessed with Michael Myers and death photos, he starts following Dr. Loomis. It ends with him meeting The Shape. Myers kills him, cutting out his eyes, replacing them with two rolls of film - the last images from the guy's camera. A self-contained story.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Watching the doc I'm rather surprised how two of the Jason Vixens (that's a thing?) have aged gracefully. They won the genetic lottery.

Miss Jensen Daggett (played Rennie Wickham) from "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan" (1989).

Daggett is a mom now, she has two kids. *nods* Nice cleavage - it's a compliment not a sexist remark.

The second is Miss Lauren-Marie Taylor.

She played Vickie in "Friday the 13th: Part 2" (1981). Taylor is also a mom, she has three kids. Man, she looks the same, freaky. Look at that comparison. Wow.

Taylor is a voice actress too, she did "Pound Puppies" the cartoon in 1987; that was a big thing back in the day. Okay, not as big as those Cabbage Patch Kids, but still huge. Well, I should note that the vid image is from 2009 - the previous Jason documentary.

There was one which... I found enchanting; Sharlene Martin (played Tamara Mason) "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan". She has four kids. Can't put my finger on it, but she's my favorite. She's huggable. Not into older women, but I'm intrigued.

- - -

Wave III of tantalizing Halloween costumes.

Now that totally rocks - "The Punishing One", though her outfit is missing two guns, it's iconic. Sexy Punisher is priced at $38.66; does not come with knee high boots nor matching fishnet stockings - which really sells it. On the right woman, that's a head turner. She punishes the sinful, oh my!

*tisk tisk* So?

Is that sexy Coraline? This is priced at $54.98 comes with hooded yellow jacket (with drawstring), blue wig with dragonfly clip and pair of (foam-backed) boot covers. You supply the jeans. How to make it seductive?

Have that jacket open and she's topless (as it were) with large, black button print pasties. See what I did there? How pervy. *smiles* You're welcome. And that would be excellent. Think it's a bland costume... BOOM!

It's naughty. C'mon, it scream 'flasher' - like a trench coat. The costume should come with a black cat purse, that would make it complete.

Credits
    Past Tense - Documenting A Killer Tween In Brute's Body Part III

Easter Eggs.

There are two eggs here - both of them are the same; live footage of Ari Lehman's band, "First Jason" live at The Viper Room club (Los Angeles, CA) singing a Jason related song. It's okay I suppose. I have nothing good or bad to say about it. *shrugs* These eggs are from the DVD edition. Don't know if they're on the BD version (probably are).

Disc 1

Main Menu -> highlight "Audio/Subtitles", press left; highlight X on the hockey mask - ENTER.

- - -

Bonus Disc

Main Menu -> Scene Selection -> highlight "Main Menu", press left; highlight the diamond over the right eye of the hockey mask - ENTER.

- - - - -

These next two eggs are not a part of "Crystal Lake Memories", very true. But it's tangentially related - "His Name Was Jason" DVD. Yeah, it's a stretch, but I feel it's warranted. Okay.

Ari Lehman doing a Jason Jamaican rap (bloopers included).

Disc 2 -> highlight "Final Cuts", press left; highlight red strip on right side of mask - ENTER.

- - -

Stu Charno philosophizing on his ukulele.

Disc 2 -> highlight "Fox Comes Home", press left; highlight red strip on left side of mask - ENTER.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Five more holiday themed titles to watch; new and old features - to fuel your nightmares.

"Anna And The Apocalypse" (2017)
    The sleepy British town of Little Haven is preparing for Christmas when The End comes. Anna Shepard is having a fight with her father Tony because she wants to take a year off in Australia before going to college. But that future becomes nothing more than a 'what if'. An unknown virus is spreading throughout England and possibly the rest of the planet. The dead are rising, feasting on the living. Getting ready for school the next day; Anna and her best friend John discover their town under attack. Both attempt to reach school to find their friends, her dad works there - a janitor. Along the way they find pals and rivals, banding together to reach campus hoping to find loved ones. Things get much worse, not from the dead, but their power hungry, new headmaster Arthur Savage - who has his own plans on how to survive the apocalypse. A horror, comedy, zombie... musical. There have been a few attempts at horror musicals - they fail. This has managed to rise above with catchy songs, story and gore.
    Cinedigm Entertainment Corp. - 2019 - R

"Go To The Head Of The Class" (1986)
    This a season two episode (eight; aired November 21st, 1986) from the fantasy/sci-fi/sometimes horror anthology, "Amazing Stories" produced by Steven Spielberg. The half hour NBC series had far more misses than hits. So many episodes were big budget fillers. Then you have this... lightening in a bottle. So good they made it as an hour long program. Directed by Robert Zemeckis and co-written by Bob Gale the men behind, "Back To The Future" (1985). High school students Peter Brand and Cynthia Simpson wish to pull a prank on their domineering and quite cruel English teacher, Professor Beanes. Her plan was to cast a spell on him, an uncontrolled fit of hiccups. The conjure hidden in a heavy metal album, played backwards. Peter is infatuated with her and goes along. Each of the ingredients gathered, some grim. The results were unexpected as Beanes become aware of the duo's extracurricular activities and relentlessly pursues the would-be couple; alive and in death. Think of it like a teen version of "H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Animator" (1985). It was the only episode of the series to have "Parental Discretion Advised" warning. Not sure where you can see this other than on Amazon Prime. Season two was not released on DVD in America. Freaky coincidence; I wrote this entry on February 17th (2020) - two days later discovered the series is coming back for a limited run on Apple's streaming service, Apple+.
    NA - 1986 - NR

"Monarch Of The Moon" (2006)
    For laughs; an over-the-top parody of 1940s matinée serials (not politically correct); made on a budget of $75,000 and told in six chapters - pure cheese. It’s in the same vein as "Black Dynamite" (2009) and "The Call Of The Cthulhu" (2005), a contemporary film made to look vintage. Army aviator, Cal Crawford was captured by Nazis and experimented on. Their scientific tests backfired, Cal gains an ability... the power to communicate with yellow jackets! He escaped and now offers his superhero services to the government. Yellow Jacket with his band of freedom fighters (dimwitted secretary, alcoholic sidekick, not so brilliant scientist and a Bear Scout) must stop a deadly Japanese agent, known as Dragonfly and her mechanical menace, the JapBots. It becomes all too clear that there is a global conspiracy - someone is supplying The Axis with advanced technology... building a doomsday weapon. Who is doing it? And for what nefarious purpose? Does it have something to do with the moon? The DVD has been released twice, the original pressing in 2006 includes their first attempt at period sci-fi, "Destination Mars" ('06 too). It’s not very good; at best, 'okay'. Go with the re-release that's "Monarch" only.
    Image Entertainment - 2007 - NR

"Muck" (2015)
    This is one of those films; either you love it or hate it, a throwback - tons of nudity and gore, few CGI. The concept was simple, but made numerous viewers upset, mad even. You are watching the middle movie of a trilogy; dumped into the sequel without knowing what's going on. You get snippets of the plot from characters, piece them together for the story. Cape Cod, Florida; a nude woman (Jaclyn Swedberg - Playboy's Playmate Of The Year 2012) is fleeing from an unseen danger, losing her clothes as she runs. She's lost in a foggy marsh - finds an abandoned house where other horrors had recently occurred. We learn through flashbacks and dialog; most of her friends are dead. The group had disrupted a long forgotten ancient burial ground; awaken a vengeful spirit. Now in less numbers what remains take refuge in that house, finding their nude friend. It gets worse - the house is home to a gang of cannibals. All of this happens in one night, the final hours of St. Patrick's Day. Things get much worse, relentless - the lucky ones are already dead. The idea was to have a trilogy; second film first, then part one and later the finale. But it bombed. I loved it. So many clichés were subverted, felt like watching the first "Evil Dead" (1983), cheesy and over-the-top. It also stars horror icon, Kane Hodder as our cannibal Big Bad.
    Anchor Bay Entertainment, LLC - 2015 - R

"When A Stranger Calls" (2006)
    Few PG-13 films can capture intensity minus jump scares. Teen Jill Johnson is being punished by her parents; her cell phone bill is 800 minutes overs the monthly allotted time. She will work it off by babysitting. Jill is hired by the Mandrakis to care for their two kids while the parents go to a dinner and movie - home by midnight. An easy few hours in their large and extravagant lake home. But alone while the kids sleep, Jill starts receiving a series of prank calls - rising from trolling to disturbing. Soon it becomes very apparent she's not alone in the house. She will have to use every ounce of her creativity and prowess in track to save the kids and herself from the dark figure. It was satisfying to have the killer's reveal (face) happen at the very end. He's the boogeyman. This is a remake to the 1979 original feature of the same name also on home video.
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2006 - PG-13

While finishing up my research I uncovered another. In the United Kingdom, a three disc DVD set; streeted on June 9th, 2014 for £17.98. It was a region 0 release from Stax Entertainment, LTD - rated "E", Exempt From Classification.

One last bit; in 2014 this doc was nominated, "Best Limited Release/Direct-To-Video" for The Reaper Awards presented by Home Media Magazine. It won. It's was an industry publication for stores. The best in horror releases.

Feeling sweaty? Kinda nervous? I'm sure it's fine. Not like you're gonna get a bug attack by car sized extraterrestrial insects... 'cause that's next week. Sleep tight!

Is something touching your arm?

Credits
    Best Buy - October 20th, 2020

Back To The Future: 35th Anniversary Trilogy
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $64.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Bugs, Big Bomb And Zealots Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on January 3rd, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

You can hear them moving in the walls within the ventilation system, foot by foot closer to the well paid and rendered pointless - panic room. If this was a movie there would be a long lingering shot of the bed frame outside of the hidden room with focus on muted sounds.

There was a pause, eyes closed and a fade to slumber then a slight adrenaline rush as you remember what is going on. At this point you are afraid to move from your spot on the floor. Last year those devil dogs had actually pounced on your former home's roof. There is a quick thought of what you will do if that happens here, not much is the answer. Harsh, but honest. So screwed.

Even from this attic spot you can hear muffled howls. They had found the room, unknown if they tumbled in and were - trapped? Or at this point were mauling the vent grate to enter. Then another big idea popped, man - you are slowing. This should've happened before you went up here.

All those areas you had concealed peanut butter and spent paper towel rolls. You could give them reasons, reasons to search elsewhere for you should they get out. Open the jars now and plop the empty rolls inside and fling them on various walls across the home - make them confused. Giving you more time for morning, at least hoping that morning will bring about a new, better day.

You take out the golf club and rush downstairs with the bow clenched; ready to fire arrows as needed. No sign of them as you increase your pace - you have this momentary advantage, don't loose it. Various hidden closets are opened and jars pulled, not daring to open until you're ready to drop them like scented ruses. More slower blinks, "Scented Ruses" sounds like a bathroom odor spray, might be a strong potpourri with some wooded smells - cedar maybe. You shake that thought away.

Not now dude.

Each of the room were baptized with peanut butter and the jar left behind, sealed but not before placing a tiny bit on the lid. None of the peanut butter made contact with your skin or on clothes. That would defeat the defense. Each was hidden away behind a large furniture or inside a room you could lock. Let them fight to get inside.

Five rooms were done before anguished howls were heard. They're inside. And know they've been hoodwinked. No more time for more rooms - what to do with the other sealed jars? You put them inside a nearby cabinet. You rush back to your former spot. And another thought popped.

What if other chupacabras critters heard that wail and come to their aid? While maybe - and that's a big maybe, the panic room will seal them in. What about others who join in? You're back to zero once they finished with the mired chunky paste and hunt you down.

Can't think about this - can't; like a middle age ninja, you race up and return to your attic sanctuary. Locked with the club once more. This time around having your bow and arrows far closer to you. The room is so dark, the outside street lights are still working in the haze and giving just the outline of objects in the refuge from the dusty windows.

Another sound is heard, can't quite make it out. Like banging on metal, kinda chaotic. Then a head shake to keep awake, you're hurting now for sleep. Those adrenaline burst are not lasting when your body is at rest. What was that noise? More dogs? MORE DOGS.

More demon dogs are inside the house and now that sound is registering - they too are inside the vents. But are having trouble navigating, those peanut butter decoys are making them confused - probably like the scent was coming from everywhere.

More than likely they found that open vent from smelling their own - the blood around the grate they chewed and pulled open. How many new ones? Right now that's trivial. The point is to survive the night. Oh man, in the rush you forgot to take your watch or even look at a clock. What time is it now? Whatever - you're not moving from this place, no more Hail Marys to have.

Another long yawn, this one way longer than all the others. Scared. Please don't sleep. Please don't sleep.

"Limited Edition Horror" 2020 continues with week four; hope you have enough cans of Raid for this insect infused interstellar malediction - "Starship Troopers 3"...

"Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" was released on home video on August 5th, 2008. It was a direct-to-video title.

It streeted against "Rogue: Unrated", "Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season" and "Lonesome Dove: 2 Disc Collector's Edition".

The basic edition originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. The only insert was the instructions for the digital copy.

- - -

There were several exclusives. Lets address this alphabetically...

FYE/Suncoast offered an exclusive steelbook case for the film. This is fuzzy, but it appears that it sold for $26.99.

I'm not 100% certain if that was the release day price. It's the best I could do.

Target had two exclusives mixed into one...

First they gave their DVD a lenticular slipcover - different from the wraparound. Inside was the second exclusive; "Mobile Infantry Field Manual", a three page fold-out booklet. This set sold for $16.99. I remember not knowing about it until days later; went to my local store, hoping they would still have one in stock.

Yes, they did; sold my extra copy on eBay (minus the booklet and slipcover).

Wal-Mart had an exclusive disc (in its own case), side packed the regular DVD. This set sold for $19.98. Sorry, no menu screen - single featurette, "On The Bounce: The Making Of Starship Troopers" just plays. A run time of 24:11 minutes. This is where I first bought my copy, sway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was another exclusive, but not solely for "Marauder". It was for the three movie compendium, released on the same street.

Best Buy had a eight inch limited edition Marauder figurine (unit #04) with "Starship Troopers Trilogy" DVD; entitled "The Ultimate Starship Troopers Collector's Set". This sold for $39.99 (if you just wanted the three disc set, only - $29.99). Didn't have the money at the time, otherwise I would've gotten this too. Don't have much regrets; where would I put this? The box was huge.

Credits
    Past Tense - Bugs, Big Bomb And Zealots Part II

Rant.

I really like this flick. This installment was the closest to the tone of the first movie. I've been reading reviews from folks who were bothered by the ideas this chapter gave.

* The framing of anti-war protesters on conspiracy charges (capital crime) - to be hanged.
    * The co-opt of religion by the Federation.

Lethal pout.

I am puzzled by some who didn't get the first movie. We were NOT the good guys. In fact the world government was deceiving us into going to war. Keep the masses frightened and angry, give them a common enemy; this runs the wheels of power.

The bugs are ruthless, true, but we started the war with them. This one world government is an empire. And as all empires do - they expand. We expanded to bug territory and thought we could kill these primitives and take their resources. They fought back.

In the first film we had a major disaster with a meteor which impacted Buenos Aires, it nearly totaled the metropolis. This act was the tipping point, a declaration of war was announced. The thing is how?

How could the bugs have sent that rock to Earth? They have no FTL (Faster Than Light) carriers. In fact they spread by sending their seeds into space. They might land on a moon or a planet - new colony. Yes some could fly into space, but no faster than a jet engine. If they had sent that rock to us, it would've taken thousands of years to arrive - long before we ever had the ability of basic flight, before we first ventured into space itself.

Lets be perfectly clear - that rock could not go faster than they can throw/spew out.

The government told us the bugs sent it, they lied. This future world has an over population problem. The conflict was a way to kill two birds with one stone; help them to eliminate a threat to their expansion and thin the herd at the same time.

Why is this concept hard to understand?

You are a second class person without Citizenship; very little rights. By serving in the military, if you survive, you have rights. It's a militaristic state depicted here, not a happy world.

The other would be a power play. This war could be used to justify taking away/reducing civil liberties; more fuel to keep the empire running. It's never about the individual rights, just the "collective". That being the nice word for The Elite.

Lets get this clear - the film series is satire.

I remember when the first movie came out, reading how some didn't see it any further than a sci-fi action piece. Really? Dude, that's disturbing. The military leaders were dressed like Nazis. Filmmakers made a parody of war and politics. C'mon, one of protesters in "Marauder" was going to be hanged in his wheelchair... they actually built a ramp for his chair just to kill him.

Reminds me of "Team America: World Police" (2004). There were viewers who didn't see anything wrong with what happened on screen (minus the puppet sex and puppet vomit). Did they not understand it was satire? It wasn't a patriotic motion picture - at all. WTF? *sigh*

Across the federation, federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win.
    I like how the film (number three) ended with a public announcement that we have a new weapon against the bugs. It left it rather open ended as to what they meant; the Marauders mechs or government sanctioned religion. As for the folks who are saying its anti-Christian, they never said what religion they followed.

Would You Like To Know More?

At one point, you could find "Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" with its slipcover at Big Lots! for three bucks.

- - -

How many in the franchise?

Five films in total - four of them direct-to-video sequels and the last two were CGI features.

"Starship Troopers" (1997) - 129 minutes

"Starship Troopers 2: Hero Of The Federation" (2004) - 92 minutes

"Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" (2008) - 105 minutes

"Starship Troopers [4]: Invasion" (2012) - 89 minutes

"Starship Troopers [5]: Traitor Of Mars" (2017) - 88 minutes

The first film is now twenty-three years old and still looks great. And better than a lot of CGI laden motion pictures today. This is what happens when you create CGI that is designed to exist in real world daylight, not for muted and altered hues.

Actor Casper Van Dien reprised his role of Juan "Johnny" Rico in the last three movies. And Dina Meyer reprised Isabelle "Dizzy" Flores from the first film for "Traitor Of Mars". Pardon? Yes, she died in movie one - but is a hallucination here, Johnny's torment and inspiration.

By the way, the last one is good. It's a sci-fi, political thriller. Rico is demoted (from general to colonel; aftermath of "Invasion") and dropped on Mars to train the local enlisters. The planet has been terraformed. It's a nothing job, no bugs. There is however a hidden infestation.

An up and coming Sky Marshal is keeping that a secret - planning to perpetrate a false flag against her rival when the arachnids attack. Then making the claim she had no choice but to detonate the planet killing bomb (all evidence of her wrong doings incinerated). She rises up the ranks at the expense of Mars, everyone on the surface and in orbit in the space station. It's up to Johnny and his newbies to expose the fraud and expose her.

Man, I would love to have a sixth film. There is strong continuity and story themes. Have no problem with that being CGI as well. That's cool, just have a good plot and voice actors, plus Van Dien. Maybe even have Denise Richards come back for a voice role. It's not like she's doin' anything.

- - -

Wave IV of tantalizing Halloween costumes.

This outing is a hit and miss kind of thing.

Wasn't ever a fan of "The Jetsons" (cartoon felt weak and pandered in the most obvious way), but I do like the effort made for "Judy Jetson Space Futuristic" costume. The $39.99 tag comes with bustier, skirt and wig. You provide the fishnet stockings and knee high boots. That outfit works, on the right woman quite the head turner.

The other - what is it?

Sexy Kenny from "South Park". Yeah, that's something nobody asked for. It's for someone who wants to be an attention getter, but fails because it's not that kind of thing. That's like dressing up as Sexy JonBenét Ramsey. No. Nobody wants this. Why even do?

Don't bother looking at the specs, 'Sexy Kenny' shouldn't be a thing.

Credits
    Past Tense - Bugs, Big Bomb And Zealots Part III

Recommendations.

Five more tingles for your dark desires this holiday, next week is Halloween.

"BrainDead" (2016)
    Not a movie, but a short run political horror TV series, sometimes dark comedy and sometimes gory which ran for thirteen weeks on CBS, but fizzled in the ratings, not well known. Lauren Healy is a documentary filmmaker who has fallen on hard times; she lost vital fundings. With much reluctance she agrees to work for her brother in Washington, D.C., Luke is a U.S. Senator. After a few days she witnesses various erratic behavior at the capital - too much to be random, plus a man who's head exploded. Quietly she investigates and is caught up in paranoia. Lauren uncovers a discrete alien invasion... ants. The non-terrestrial insects came to Earth within a meteorite. Earth was never their goal, just dumb luck the rock ended up here. The ants burrow into brains through ears, taking out some brain matter and situating themselves inside, filling in the missing neurons - using the overtaken bodies as their vehicles. The secret invasion now includes members of Congress and staff. Her main ally is a conspiracy theorist, Gustav Triplett who is mistrustful of people already. The intent was for a four season run - the bugs were going to take over Silicon Valley, Wall Street and Hollywood, but it wasn't going to happen so the show runners made the season finale, the series finale with just enough wiggle room should two happen. It didn't. A different take on the "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" theme.
    Paramount - 2016 - NR

"eXistenZ" (1999)
    The near-future; video game designer Allegra Geller is showcasing her brand new virtual reality game - "eXistenZ". Her platform is Antenna Research. Rival game company, Cortical Systematics has been trying to acquire her software for their corporation. But a third party has entered the picture, an insurgent group, the "Realist" who are anti-VR, the deforming of reality. Geller is shot and her only copy of her work is potentially damaged. She is pulled out of the building by a marketing trainee, Ted Pikul. Unable to know unless she jacks in and him too since safety protocols could be disabled. Die in the game - die in real life. She needs a bodyguard in VR. The two get caught up in a conspiracy in and out of reality as they attempt to learn what's going on - who put a bounty on her? This is a David Cronenberg film, expect body horror; the tech here is bio-mechanical. Surreal at time and just crazy at other. It should be noted that the U.S. DVD is bare bone, the U.S. Blu-Ray has minor extras. The 1999 Canadian DVD has three commentaries, documentary and trailer, studio below.
    Alliance Films - 1999 - R

"John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars" (2001)
    The year is 2025; Mars has been terraformed and colonized. Police officer, Lt. Melanie Ballard and cops are sent to a remote mining outpost, "Shining Canyon". After years of crimes and murders, felon James "Desolation" Williams has been caught, locked up in the local jail. The job is to pick up and transport him by train for arraignment. When they arrive, they find a dead town - massacred. At first believing it to be the work of Desolation - only to find him and what remains of the locales locked up behind the bars, done to protect themselves... from the rest of the outpost's infected population. Days earlier, miners had found a door to a lost Martian civilization - a tomb. Not so dead, existing in spectral form, taking possession of humans. Now RAGING over these invaders. A siege at the jail; left with few resources, Ballard has no choice but allow Desolation to do his thing. An uphill battle, kill one of the infected, 'it' jump to the next nearby body and continues on. It's pretty much a sci-fi remake of Carpenter's 1976 film, "Assault On Precinct 13".
    Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment - 2001 - R

"Savageland" (2015)
    A horror mockumentary. The largest mass murder in American history occurred on the night of June 2nd, 2011 at Sangre de Cristo (known as 'Savageland' by locals), Arizona. The boarder town sits a few miles north of Mexico. The entire population of fifty-seven were massacred; some only existing as body fragments. The police arrest an illegal, Francisco Salazar who was found at the scene covered in blood. His trial and sentence was fast tracked to appease paranoia and hysteria around the US/Mexico border. He was scapegoated. This is a documentary after the fact; going over the evidence collected and discovering omissions - Salazar to his death said he didn't do it. On his possession was one 35mm camera. He used all thirty-six images on that roll. There's where the problem begins. There are things in those photos that should not be - things the prosecution left out. An unknown force swept over Sangre de Cristo, killing all those in its path. There is no resolution, just the knowledge, that 'evil' does exist... and WILL happen again. It's a slow burn to the reveal which was right in front of you the whole time.
    MVD Visual - 2018 - NR

"VWF" (2019)
    An homage to John Carpenter's "Assault On Precinct 13" (1976) complete with a synthwave driven score; feels like watching an ultra-violent comic book movie, hues in neon reds and blues. A new narcotic has taken over the American drug scene, 'Hype' - highly addictive, zapping users of their identity. Local drug lord, "Boz" has his inventory stolen by a young woman "Lizard" - retaliation for the death of her sister. Unknown to her, Boz is suppose to bring his goods for sale - a deal that comes together at dawn. Lizard flees the drug den to the nearest location open... the VWF (Veterans of Foreign Wars) bar across the street. The men are celebrating the birthday of the bar owner, Fred Parras. What follows is a slice of Hell, the tavern is relentlessly attacked by the addicts as well as Boz's enforcers and his henchwoman "Gutter". The movie is memorable for its practical effects and 1980s action actors, kicking ass. Outstanding chemistry and horror as each attack wave gets more intense. Boz WANTS his stash back, badly. On DVD and BD.
    RLJE Entertainment, Inc. - 2020 - NR

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Is it just me or does Jolene Blalock has a Raquel Welch vibe going on here? The image feels like an homage to "One Million Years B.C." (1966). I don't think I'm imagining it. Right?

One more corner to be turned as you flee from blood thirsty brute. One more ordeal before the dawn. Have it in you to come back next Thursday?

Credits
    Past Tense - Things Which Do Not Mix - Exotic Dancers And The Undead Part I

A brand new entry!

The darkness was quite zen, there was no telling how much time had actually elapsed. You had fallen asleep where you laid on the attic floor. Your old girlfriends pretty much said the same things. 1) You were a hard sleeper. You had in fact had slept through a minor earthquake some years back. 2) You are a quiet one, no snoring which was a benefit they enjoyed on sleep overs. You smiled at that thought.

The only reason you were roused was the crashing of something damn heavy, like a huge cabinet BELOW you. That gave you the jolted you needed to become lucid once more. But had enough fortitude to remain silent and unmoved. You had the Conan sword replica resting on your chest, like this was some kind of Viking funeral. The arrows and bow to your side. Heart now racing as you can hear the chupacabras sniffing out the last of the peanut butter decoys.

Turns out they were systematically taking them out by 'marking their territory' on the area which nulled the odor with their own. Like a soldier marking which enemy homes had been searched - scratched off their list. They had gone through the house; room by room and marking it as empty of you. Not sleepy now, you are terrified - they're not dumb beasts. They are operating on a plan; seek and destroy. You lay silent and think about the devil dogs in the panic room. Did they get out or still there, like flys caught in one of those fly jar traps?

That's when you hear one of the dogs growling what appeared to be orders. This was different, slower like it was walking with a limp. Was it THAT beast? Did it get out? BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! They're finished with the rooms. No more decoys - only one spot left unexplored. They were jumping up, attempting to crack the door open. You remain silent as each crash bounces off the attic door. Scared but not foolish. If you moved - at this range they will hear you and intensify their bombardments, breaking in swiftly.

This is how I die? You thought to yourself; not as an elderly man married for decades to some hot piece and grew old together. Get mauled into bloody bit by trans-dimensional canines? This sucks! So much preparations for nothing. More crashes, not sure how long that golf club will hold or how long the wooden frame will stay in one piece. Blinks and tears as you can hear a new sound... a crack. The wood is failing. Yeah. You're still alive. You're still alive because of all the preparations taken. Probably the only person in miles still alive this long. Thinking for a moment, all this crap DID buy you time - maybe hours.

Before you took your lay, you had enough smarts to have feet first towards the door - so you could have some tactical advantage, though minor. All you had to do is sit up and shoot those arrows like there's no tomorrow... aim be true. But not sitting up now. Has to be to your convenience, let this spot be an unknown to them even for a few more seconds or else they'll go ravenous and multi-dogs crashing into the attic. You ever so quitely pulled the arrows and bow onto your chest. Letting the sword ever so slightly fall down, you legs together so the metal does not hit the floor.

The first arrow on the bow; ready to be pulled and released. You close your eyes, doing your best to control your breathing. "The tragedy of this severed notion, looming red tonight. The clawed infatuation, this tattered nowhere man" - that was random; lyrics from the song "There Will Be Blood" came out of ether.

In the din of getting ready to meet your fate you had not seen the attic vents, some light was starting to shine through. Part of the sunlight hit the the top part of the bow - that's when you took notice. It's morning! It's MORNING. In a few moments that infernal horn should be blowing, calling these monsters back. Please hold on, door. Only maybe a minute more. A minute more.

No such luck.

The door burst open, but no dogs. It had come back down, biting on the steps, pulling the assembly down. How did they know how to do that? In the crashing noise, you sit up using the clamor to mask any sounds you could have made. Pulling your legs inward, the metal sword now touching the floor. Sounds you made which went unnoticed. You can hear creaks as one of the mutts is rising up.

Bow pulled, holding. The second its head popped up over the edge - you released. It didn't have time to register you. No yelp. It just went limp, arrow right in the eye. It slumped for a second and fell down the stairs. A second later the next arrow was ready. There was quiet, like the eye of a hurricane, that brief calm... then the sound that came was terrifying. A bark and growl combined as two of them had rushed upwards.

You had shot the next arrow into the noise, killing the chupacabra creature instantly. Dumb luck the two dogs were trying to enter at the same time. The next quiver sent a moment later killed the other devil dog. You blinked as you saw two dead beast at the door - plugging up the entry. Did you just bottleneck the attic? You can hear the other dogs actually biting and attempting to pull the dead dogs apart, the stench of disembodiment was strong. They really wanted in, badly.

More jumps and bites. You can see the corpses shifting left and right, but still were firm in place for an instant further, then both fell down with a profound splatter, probably hitting upon the rest of their pulled innards.

You heard another coming up, not quick, labored - it was barking at the other dogs. As if to say 'this is mine'. Can this work again? The sword was on the floor pointing at the entry. The creature's head surfaced, mouth drooling and bit your leg, no time to react. The beast was motivated - it missed your flesh by centimeters. But knocked you off your balance, it was trying to pull you down by your pants. Making you toss your bow a distance from you.

You give it some solid kicks, screaming at it. But its glowing eyes had only one intent and an ever so slight grin as it tried to pull you down once more. You can hear the other dogs downstares yapping and howling. One of them was jumping up and hitting where you making your final stand, trying to make it more nightmarish. BOOM! BOOM! You can hear the wood below you starting to buckle. More kicks and shouts. Then came the horn.

The long beat, air raid siren boom.

Dawn is here.

The dog's eyes had widened; time to go. You took the mega sound as your opportunity to kick with great emphasis, the hilt of that replica - sending the sword into the dog's head. Crunch! It hit into the face and out the back of it's monstrous head. The dogs below had all stopped their efforts and fled your home back to whatever Hell they came from. You could literally see the light fade in its eyes. No breaking contact... 'I beat you'.

There was no cinema style death scene; bioluminescence turned off like an old fashioned TV set. You sat there for a moment staring at your deed, your pants still in its clenched jaw. Now what?

As if right on cue, the dog was moving which startled you. Then you saw real action. It was turning into dust, the proceedings happening quicker with each passing second till the head could no longer be held in place by the sword. It broke into two and both fell down. And just like that it was over.

You were nervous and crawled on all fours towards the opening. Looking down, you saw what ever so remained of the shape fade into oblivion. Then gone. Even the smell of those open intestine were gone as was their physical presence, though you could see the stain on the carpet. You moved the sword to the side and sat on the edge for a long time.

Your foe was taken down. But will this crisis happen each and every year? This the new normal? Then it hits you. How much damage was done? You had taken out a large premium in home insurance - which since last year included a rider for 'Devil Dogs'. Yeah, that was a thing in more hefty packages. As you walk into your shattered kitchen you can hear a helicopter in the distance. Something - movement!

No sword nor bow?!? Then it was seen. One of the cats you had heard when this thing had begun was inside. You and the feline looking at each other, probably thinking the same thing.

'Rough night?' Meow.

"Limited Edition Horror" 2020 comes to a contagious end with a mash-up of strippers and ghouls in "Zombies Zombies Zombies".

"Zombies Zombies Zombies" was released on home video on September 9th, 2008. It was a direct-to-video title from PassionRiver.

It streeted against "How The West Was Won", "Cool Hand Luke: Deluxe Edition", "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 3", "Kill Bill: Volume One" and the re-release of "Tim Burton's Sleep Hollow" (now with lenticular slipcover).

The basic edition originally came with a cardboard matted slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert was issued.

- - -

There was one exclusive and was web based; only available if you bought it from them online. I'm sorry, the details are sparse. I didn't keep good notes then.

Credits
    Past Tense - The Damned And Absurd Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 26th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

It was just a slight pause as you blinked, eyes closed a beat longer than it should. Didn't quite register at the moment, but that half pill was starting to hit your system, gently tugging you to slumber land. The devil dogs were now in the house. From the safety of the panic room you witnessed six of them scurry about the home - sniffing the air, looking for your scent.

With that knowledge, you looked on the wall to see your weapons; three bows and a ton of arrows (for months you had taken up the challenge to be adept in usage, adept enough. As well as a series of metal swords. You had brought with you, your Conan replica long blade when you snuck into this sanctuary.

The first idea was getting guns, but because of state laws it would be difficult, legally. So you decided on old school weapons; each of the arrows had steel serrated tips - made for kills.

And there it was again - that same chupacabras/dog, whatchamacallit stood up sniffing the air in the kitchen. And that's when your blood went cold.

You took the precautions, legal or not to remove the blinking lights from the cameras; not covering them, took them out. Nobody would be the wiser, knowing when they were 'on'. Plus you made them hidden. Yet this beast is looking RIGHT at the cam as if looking... 'I found you'. Then it gave a sickening smile with jagged, discolored teeth exposed.

In the background four of them leave the room into the rest of the home, hunting.

You remembered the screams that happened last time with neighbors - so you opted to put audio level indicators on the displays instead of live feed mics. You do have them for the speakers, but they're off for good reason. Keep your nightmares to a minimum. The levels were now spiking on each of the outside cameras. The devil dogs were inside your neighbors' homes; attacking and murdering. A lot of shrieks.

Then eyes back to the kitchen. The fiend had moved far more closer to that camera, unblinking. Almost like it could see you, but couldn't find that location in the home. Was this the same beast who tried to eat you last year?

Another monitor showed two of them had found your bedroom and were tearing up the mattress and knocking stuff off your dresser; being malicious or just dogs? Other beast were looking into rooms and examining all available spaces - reminded you of marines making sure an area was unoccupied. And onto the next room. Holy crap this is really happening. These monsters had learned from their last sojourn.

In this melee you had left your eyes from the kitchen screen - that brute had left the room, where? The other seven screens didn't show it, The Alpha. Where is it? Then a disturbing thought popped in your head... was it deliberately avoiding the other cameras, being stealth? Did it tell the two other dogs to go into your room to trash it - so you would give attention to them, away from the kitchen?

That Devil Dog is hunting your location and has a grudge. You give out a long yawn. It's now close to one AM; things are going to get interesting.

Welcome to week two of "Limited Edition Horror" 2020; a three parter! This outing we get encircled by the undead, made possible by shameless corporate greed in "Resident Evil: Extinction"...

The motion picture opened on September 21st, 2007. It was made with a budget of $45,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $49 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $147,717,833. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "The Bourne Ultimatum", "Superbad", "Dragon Wars" and "Mr. Woodcock".

This release originally came with an non-embossed, foiled, cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. There was a single, double sided insert; A) extolling the virtues of Blu-Ray, B) advertisement for other Sony Pictures Home Entertainment BD titles.

- - -

There were four exclusives.

Best Buy offered on street, January 1st, 2008 something utilitarian; small, army tote bag. This set sold for $16.99. It could be bought separately for $6.99; there were a minimum of ten per store. It measures 14 1/2 x 8 inches.

The text on the flap reads "Resident Evil: Extinction". I still have mine inside the wrapping, haven't open. It's pretty big consider it was mostly free. Why sealed? I paid more than just greenbacks for it - paid in misery.

That tote has a dear place in my collection.

During the final week of December 2007, I developed an abscess. For almost five days I experienced a pain I NEVER want to repeat in the rest of my days on Earth. A small silver lining was that my face wasn't comically swollen, couldn't tell I was hurting bad.

I will never again laugh at sitcoms, folks with tooth aches. Been there, done that. Ended up getting - not one, but two root canals (with crowns) as well as a filling. The damage was $1,700 and I got off lucky. Blogger John Campea paid over fifteen hundred... for ONE tooth.

So?

I was suffering; before getting the work done, I was taking antibiotic pills to kill the infection. Even with all that pain - I still went to Best Buy. Was there that Tuesday, got the exclusive and back to the car; examined the DVD. It was scratched.

I still remember...

Waiting in line for an exchange, trying not to draw attention to myself. Man, that was horrible. I got my exchange, it was mint. One of the members of this forum offered me twenty-five dollars for it (plus shipping) on January 4th, 2008. I didn't sell. That exclusive was acquired through sweat (was running a fever too) and torment.

Don't think I'll ever sell that. It's place in my collection is a testament to my nature and commitment to collecting. Just read about my disposition when I bought "Revenge: The Complete First Season".

The next item came from GameStop also on street, a bonus disc (available on pre-order).

Sorry, do not know how much that bonus cost. This was something I acquired in May of 2008. It came in one of those slim CD cases and was separate. You had to ask for it from the clerk at the time, who had it behind the counter. This was kindly bought from the same fellow collector who got me those exclusives for "Cloverfield". He had an extra copy. And was the same guy who offered to buy the tote.

There is no menu screen shot - just plays. It has two featurettes which play back-to-back; "The Players: The Cast of Extinction" and "Resident Road Map: Reflections On The Future Of The Series". This has a total time of 26:37 minutes, presentation in widescreen. It should be noted that these two extras appear on the Region 4, Australia release.

For the longest time I thought this there was one featurette as I stopped seconds before it ended. It wasn't until March 10th, 2015 that I discovered the hidden extra. Super sway! *nods* Anyhow, not be left out, Wal-Mart had their own bonus, an extra disc.

But don't get all excited. It was the same. Huh?

The department store offered "Exclusive 2-Disc Limited Edition" DVD set. What is it? A digital copy for your PC or PSP. This expired on April 2nd, 2008. Yeah, a real short window. This came with a foil slipcover which mirrored this wraparound. I can only assume that it also came with an additional insert with DC instructions. Sorry, don't have a clue how much this cost. I recall seeing it, but had no interest - same extras.

Disc One was the movie and digital copy. Disc Two had the same bonuses, relocated.

And there's where it originally ended.

But like the undead, they keep getting back up when you least expect.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 13th, 2020

Paranoia Agent: The Complete Series
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $37.99

Credits
    Target - October 20th, 2020

Back To The Future: 35th Anniversary Trilogy Limited Edition Gift Set
    Exclusive packaging and mini magnetic hover board; BD/DC combo $42.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 27th, 2020

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Rambo: The Complete Steelbook Collection
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $94.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Things Which Do Not Mix - Exotic Dancers And The Undead Part II

Bought from them online, you got the slipcover along with five exclusive postcards. I have mine under the slipcover since they're too big and would get injured inside the case, squeezed.

Can tell you that it sold for $16.99 on pre-order. Can't find nor recall the shipping or if this was with OR without tax.

These are matted, no glossy post cards.

Above is the slipcover image.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I can pretty much guess, most folks have never heard of this indie title. So here's the set-up...

A scientist is trying to find a cure for cancer at a hidden laboratory in the industrial part of town - away from curious eyes. There is a mix up as the doctor is funding his private enterprise by making drugs; research and narcotics are blundered and taken by several prostitutes; killing them and resurrecting into the undead.

Because of zoning laws - "The Grindhouse", exotic dancer club is situated away from town in the same industrial park. The gentlemen's club is getting ready to close shop for the night. Most of the girls have left, some have been killed and some are across the street at an eatery. The undead hookers murder, consume and infect; more join the ranks of the living dead. Restaurant patrons are shocked to see the impossible happening and realize quick this place can't save them from their ravenous attackers.

The various dancers, customers and a pimp with his girls flee to the club where they could make a stand just before the doors are closed. Limited resources get used up quick as the ghoul horde attack the business. It's a bloody siege. Soon some of the dancers are bitten and turning. But there is hope, slight since their situation - there is a cure. Part of the research that was done, not the intended purpose, but it works.

Now it's about escaping the club - running to the lab and finding that sample and stopping this... outbreak from turning to an epidemic and shortly thereafter, pandemic. This place is isolated and all the zombies are trying to get inside the Grindhouse. They're in one spot, can be contained and snuffed out. But it has to be done BEFORE dawn - when the work day begins and all those people will get infected, that's it - end of the world.

Director Jason M. Murphy made this movie the Kevin Smith way - on maxed out credit cards, a $40,000.00 budget. Done with heart and passion; the movie was in post-production for over a year. Murphy had to work two jobs to save enough to pay for the visual (digital) effects to be added to complete. Don't expect too much and you'll have a good time.

There is such an oddity - the lead dancer is Dallas played by Lyanna Tumaneng. In a movie about strippers, she doesn't have any nude scenes. Didn't notice that until the end of the movie. Hey! She's quite hot.

The pimp, Johnny "Backhand" Vegas, played by Anthony Headen as some of the best one-liners. And horror actress Tiffany Shepis as a tiny role, almost a bit part. But her name is used as big billing.

- - -

The final wave of 2020, titillating Halloween costumes.

Yup, it's an undead theme - make sense. Both are professional completed jobs with add-ons and make-up. And by the way, you should all ready have your costume picked and ready to go.

On the left is "Zombie Snow Fright". It has a $54.99 price tag. You get the dress with open latex chest and the headband. The rest is yours to add. It works. Adding the contacts does sell it. Her dress has an eaten apple patch on it that reads, "Bite Me". On the right is sexy zombie, Dorthy Gale. Sorry don't have costume name. You can pretty much it's the same deal; dress with open latex chest and ties for the pigtails. You add the rest. And that include the basket with props.

And yes, I did notice both ladies are wearing the same ruby shoes. It works better on Dorthy. *nods*

This wasn't the first time the idea was played with - novel adaptation by Ryan C. Thomas.

"The Undead World Of Oz" was published on September 21st, 2009 from Coscom Entertainment. Think of it in the same vein as "Pride And Prejudge And Zombies" (2009) adapted by Seth Grahame-Smith.

One day, on a peaceful farm in Kansas, a tornado appeared. The storm raged and ripped the house from the ground. Inside sat a little girl named Dorothy and her dog Toto. The house spun. The winds roared. The tornado showed no mercy, until... the house landed in a strange and magical land called Oz. But that's where the fairytale ends and the nightmare begins. The Wicked Witch of the West has cast a spell on the Land of Oz, a spell that brings the dead back to life. Only the Great Wizard in the Emerald City can stop this curse, but he has never been seen. It's up to Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion and the Tin Woodman to journey through this dangerous land of hungry undead and savage monsters and find him in the hopes of bringing life back to Oz. Come join hands with them as they travel down the Yellow Brick Road and see if you can make it to the Emerald City... alive.
    - book synopsis

And yes - nightmares are intensified, zombie flying monkeys. So damn sway.

Sure.

An original take on the zombie infection is "Deck Z: The Titanic - Unsinkable Undead" (2012) by Chris Pauls and Matt Solomon. The 'real' reason why the Titanic sank; done deliberately to save the world from an undead plague. How? A German scientist, Dr. Weiss is on the run. He was commissioned by the Kaiser to create a bio-weapon for a future war with Russia.

The doctor created a hell and knew it will be used on the battlefield; there is no stopping it, no cure.

He opts to flee with the sample; the only way off the continent is a certain, brand new luxury liner. He wants to go to America and spend his life trying to find a remedy to the mess he created. He burned down his isolated lab with all his notes, but fears his research could be replicated. German spies are sent to locate the doctor and find him and the specimen... opening it. To test on one rat, if it was real. One rat died and resurrected. You can guess the rest.

The book is short, two hundred and twenty-two pages long, a softback. The book goes on to explain why there were different sightings of Captain Edward Smith as the ship went down.

Credits
    Past Tense - Things Which Do Not Mix - Exotic Dancers And The Undead Part III

Footnotes.

This wasn't the last time the concept of strippers fighting the undead was used - though Z3 did it far better than this example.

On May 17th, 2011 was released "Stripperland" for $19.95; an unfunny and cheap looking parody of "Zombieland" (2009). Trust me on this - just avoid. It's crap on a cracker. Poor effect, poor acting and weak acting - mixed with poor casting. It's garbage.

I have not seen "Zombie Strippers" (2008), pretty much noted for starring former adult video starlet Jenna Jameson. It is on DVD twice over with an unrated version. The concept sounds asinine - dystopia future, strippers want to be turned into zombies because being undead got them more money.

If they're undead why do they want money?

No desire to see it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Feels like the right time to chat about this. A different kind of undead and a lost opportunity.

I'm talking about "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" (1994).

This is about Victor's mentor, Professor Waldman played by John Cleese. I did not recognize the actor comedian. He should've done more serious parts.

There is an undisclosed history about the man. He made something amazing and truly regretted it - only hinted and teased in the movie.

Pulled out my DVD and transcribed a few scenes (not simply typing the subtitles, often they don't match). A slight step back; Kenneth Branagh was Victor Frankenstein and Tom Hulce played his school mate, Henry Clerval.

The first scene; friends walk from medical class.

Victor Frankenstein: Who what that? He was at the lecture.

Henry Clerval: That's Waldman.

Victor Frankenstein: Ahhh, that's Waldman.

Henry Clerval: Yes, interesting case. They say in his youth he could break into heaven and lecture God on science. Ran into trouble with the authorities a few years back. Something to do with illegal experiments.

Victor Frankenstein: What kind of experiments, I wonder.

- - -

Later Victor and Henry dine at Waldman's home and discuss creating life.

Victor: How close did you get Professor?

Waldman: Too close.

Victor: Professor, I beg you, let me see these notes.

Waldman: No. My work and it's applications lies exclusively in the preservation of life. I abandoned my other researches many years ago.

Victor: Why???

Waldman: Because they resulted in abomination.

- - -

And lastly, Victor sneaks into Waldman's home (after the Professor was murdered; giving ad at the hospital) and reads from elder seeker's papers.

Victor: My God, you were so close. Of course, the power! The materials were wrong. You needed auxiliary sources. Yes, the experiment. A failure? "Resulting reanimant... malformed and hideous to behold. This factor dependent on the appropriate raw materials." ...raw materials.

The scene has Victor findings a sketch of the earlier "abomination" (above). It looks like perhaps two people were stitched together. I say that since the cranium is open, perhaps Waldman used someone else's brain inside. Was it skinless?

This would make a great feature, the earlier tale - beta creature. Waldman may have stumbled on the method of creating life; his reanimant like Frankenstein's got out (perhaps it took lives and was decomposing); he tracked it down - killing it. But unlike the later student, he was wise enough to stop; not be overpowered by obsession.

I never saw Victor as mad. I believed him to be dangerously sane and focused - and that's what is so terrifying about him. He's ruthless and applied more than insane, in the same way I would imagine Hitler was.
    - Kenneth Branagh

The thing that continues to bugs me to this day is the bride. Victor is underway to reanimated his dead wife (Helena Bonham Carter), we see Henry screaming "NOOOO!!!" on the stairs of Frankenstein's home. That's it.

It's a cool looking shot, but what happened to him? Did he run off and survive subsequent fire? No clue, from that point on he's out of the movie. And no mention of his fate later. There really should be a director's cut. But probably won't happen, ever.

The film was directed and acted by Branagh with Francis Ford Coppola producing (directed "Bram Stoker's Dracula" [1992]). So bad was the experience, Coppola didn't do any more gothic horror.

Man, they head-butt frequently and hated working with each other.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendation.

Halloween is two days away. It's probably too late to get this flick, a physical copy. Could be at a video rental shop if it hasn't been rented out. You have the previous suggestions to consider. Me? I'm doing what has become a Halloween tradition for the past few years. Will be watching "Dawn Of The Dead: Extended Mall Hours" bootleg (mixes all the cuts into one), a past LEH recommendation. Have one more title.

"Ready Or Not" (2019)
    Grace did it for genuine love - her fiancé, Alex Le Domas. She gets married into a wealthy family. The ceremony is all she dreamt of, memories to be had. But her new in-laws have a tradition, a game for each new bride or groom. A random selection by Grace from a family heirloom box, generations old. Sounds innocent enough, but the stakes are high - their life. The family gained their long standing fortune from a supernatural source, blood sacrifices. This is unknown to her; Grace pulls out a 'hide and seek' card. From midnight to dawn the game must be played, don't get found or be killed. Not a joke. The family minus Alex will spend those hours trying to find the bride to murder her. Should she survive, she will be welcome to the clan, riches and all. Grace can use anything in the mansion as weapons. But her in-laws are fully armed and want her snuffed; partly because of their ritual and partly because they think she's a gold digger. The results are disastrous for all. Actress Samara Weaving is quickly rising to be a 21st century Scream Queen. Available on both DVD and BD.
    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - 2019 - R

And there you have it. The final "Limited Edition Horror", could be quite accurate. I only have so many horror theme exclusives, don't know if I can do it again next October. But that could change. *shrugs* I think I said that last year too. And here we are.

By the way in Japan and Germany this entry was known as "Strippers Vs. Zombies". Sorry about the poor res, but that was the best I could find. Gets the job done, but could be so much better. Oh well.

Come back here on November 12th for a super hero who is faster than a speeding locomotive. Who could that be?

Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast