Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Reanimation

I wasn't going to write, but the more I thought about, the more I felt it was necessary - to back up my claim in the previous post.

Becoming undead does not require a bite nor scratch to occur. The virus is everywhere.

I'll start with news reports from the 1990 motion picture. And yeah, Patricia Tallman is lookin' kinda hot.

Newscaster here was played by William Cameron.

The voice on the radio was uncredited, sorry.

The scientific community is focusing on the phenomenon, specifically on that trance like state that seems to characterize the assailants. Clearly a behavioral disorder, but what could have caused so widespread and dramatic a condition as the one we are facing tonight? We've heard speculation on everything from the ozone layer and chemical weapons; to voodoo, mysticism and organisms from space. Biologists in Stockton, California have released a report, stating that the bodies of the recently dead are returning to life - driven by an unknown force that enables the brain to continue to function. Doctors at the Center for Disease and Control in Atlanta reject that theory, calling it "preposterous beyond belief". They feel the only reasonable explanation is a germ, a bacteria or virus that has a mind-altering effect on its victims. Though how such a germ could've been delivered so quickly in over such a vast area does remain a mystery. It's being called "Judgment Day" by religious leaders...
    - Newscaster

Do not attempt to reach friends or family. Do not attempt to reach any of the rescue stations identified in previous advisories. They may no longer be in operation. Repeating this advisory, number nine from the Offices of Emergency Preparedness; dated 11 PM, August 23rd, 1989. It has been confirmed that the bodies of the dead are being reactivated by forces yet unknown. These reactivated bodies are weak and uncoordinated, but are capable of inflicting damage on people and on property. They are to be considered extremely dangerous, especially when encountered in large numbers. These bodies can be disposed of in only one known manner. That is by incapacitating the brain. These reactivated bodies will attack warm-blooded animals of all species including human beings without provocation and will devour the flesh of any prey. It has been confirmed that acts of homicide and cannibalism reported in the afternoon and evening hours of August 23rd, 1989 are attributable, at least in part to these reactivated bodies. Civil defense and military patrols are moving through Western Pennsylvania in a systematic search for those who might need assistance.
    - Radio Announcer

And now the news report from 1968; Newscaster was played by Charles Craig.

I think we have some late word just arriving. And we interrupt to bring this to you. This is the latest disclosure in a report from National Civil Defense Headquarters in Washington. "It has been established that persons who have recently died have been returning to life and committing acts of murder. A widespread investigation of reports from funeral homes, morgues and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead are coming back to life and seeking human victims." It's hard for us to believe what we're reporting to you, but it does seem to be a fact.
    - Newscaster

Later...

Dr. Grimes was played by Frank Doak - now interviewed by the news man.

Newscaster: Dr. Grimes is also head of special project; physiological research being conducted in the field for NASA. Dr. Grimes, your entire staff have, I know - has been working very hard to find some solution to these things that are happening. Do you have any answers at this time?

Dr. Grimes: Yes, we have some answers. But first let me stress the importance of seeking medical attention for anyone who's been injured in any way. We don't know yet what complications might result from such injuries.

Newscaster: I see, that's good advice doctor. Now how about the basic problem we're facing?

Dr. Grimes: In the cold room at the university we had a cadaver, a cadaver from which all four limbs had been amputated. Sometime early this morning, it opened its eyes and began to move its trunk. It was dead, but it opened its eyes and tried to move... The body should be disposed of at once, preferable by cremation.

Newscaster: How long after death then does the body become reactivated?

Dr. Grimes: It's only a matter of minutes.

Newscaster: Minutes? That doesn't give people enough time to make any arrangements.

Dr. Grimes: No, you're right. It doesn't give them time to make funeral arrangements. The bodies must be carried to the street and, and, and burned. They must be burned immediately. Soak them with gasoline and burn them! The bereaved will have to forgo the dubious comforts that a funeral service will give. They're just dead flesh and dangerous.

The contagion is everywhere - it doesn't matter if you're directly infected. Once you die and necrosis sets, you WILL rise and feast on any living thing(s). Our ecosystem has been corrupted, perhaps forever - zero solution in sight. This is the new reality. Depressing when you think about it.

- - -

Some bits.

Haven't noticed this before until taking screen snaps for this post. When Ben (Tony Todd) kills that zombie (with down's syndrome) with the crow bar, the one he hit with the truck - there is a zoom on him as he gets up (17:31). So that you can't see the end result of the head bashing. As mentioned in the last post, probably done to secure an R rating.

That and Ben's found truck is from "Whalen Nursery Outlet" (written on the side). It has a plant in the flatbed.

I got curious and took a look.

Above left is actress Heather Mazur as Sarah Cooper in the '90 remake (she was thirteen); next to that is her today.

Okay I'm done with this.

Wait.

I wonder if the name Rick Grimes from "The Walking Dead" comic and later series was inspired by that doctor interview.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 03-27-2019 at 03:38 AM.