Thanks Thanks:  13
    Credits

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K UHD SteelBook

The Godzilla vs Kong 4K UHD SteelBook is available for online preorder only at Best Buy US for now with a release date of June 15, 2021 and priced at $36.99.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/godzill...?skuId=6462874

Credits
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2233512

I just saw this. Don't know when it got put on their site. No, I didn't get a copy.

Credits

I'm pretty sure I checked earlier this afternoon, nothing was there.
    If it's actually sold-out, then Best Buy isn't getting much of anything.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    I did not expect Best Buy Canada to even get this Godzilla vs Kong 4K UHD SteelBook since they didn't get the last Godzilla King of the Monsters steelbook and/or the Godzilla 2014 re-release UHD steelbook. That being said BBYCAN seems to have a real problem with getting stock when it comes new releases like Godzilla vs Kong and if Raya and the Last Dragon is any indication I do not think there will be any re-stocking of this steelbook.

Credits
    Brutal.... Hopefully more pop up at some point or I'll need to grab it on the secondary market... I'm almost done with physical media but I really wanted this one for my set...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_Whispers View Post
    Brutal.... Hopefully more pop up at some point or I'll need to grab it on the secondary market... I'm almost done with physical media but I really wanted this one for my set...
    @ Scotty_Whispers while I hope more pop up at some point I doubt it at this point seeing how Best Buy Canada track record with steelbook supply for new releases has gone down the drain. Prior to COVID 19 I would have simply drove to a Best Buy in the metro Detroit area to grab a copy but seeing there is no cross border travel by car; I think I will just grab it on the secondary market. To be honest while I stated before I did not expect Best Buy Canada to even get the Godzilla vs Kong 4K UHD SteelBook I was hoping for SUNRISE RECORDS to sell this steelbook.

Credits
    There are some copies of the Godzilla vs. Kong 4K UHD SteelBook at Best Buy Canada for online preorder; get one before they are all gone.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2233512

Credits
    Hey @jacques1400, I am not sure if you are familiar with a site called StockTrack - Inventory Checker and decided to check and see how many copies of the Godzilla vs Kong 4K UHD SteelBook. Allegedly, if this site is correct but when I checked at 5:30AM this morning Best Buy Canada had 151 copies of this steelbook in stock. If this is accurate it does not seem BBYCAN is getting as many steelbook exclusive as they used to before. But as I said if this site is accurate; because now they are sold out again.

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=bb

Credits

Don't know anything about that StockTrack, but that's a given that Best Buy CA is not doing much with movies anymore, all you need to do is walk in a store to see it.
    Point of note, replenishment is a major issue these days on both sides of the border, I'm not sure exactly what's causing it. I've had orders cancelled by Amazon US, Best Buy US, & DeepDiscount due to limited quantities. The Boutique Labels appear to be re-scheduling releases on a regular basis as well.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

Don't know anything about that StockTrack, but that's a given that Best Buy CA is not doing much with movies anymore, all you need to do is walk in a store to see it.
    Point of note, replenishment is a major issue these days on both sides of the border, I'm not sure exactly what's causing it. I've had orders cancelled by Amazon US, Best Buy US, & DeepDiscount due to limited quantities. The Boutique Labels appear to be re-scheduling releases on a regular basis as well.

I just received my copy of Godzilla vs. Kong 4K UHD SteelBook and from what I can see with Best Buy USA logo and no French on the J-card; it looks like we might be getting the extras and/or leftovers from the USA. Which to be honest I am fine with; but what I am wondering is while replenishment is a major issue these days on both sides of the border, is it only occurring with steelbooks collectibles or is it also occurring with regular bluray discs. I am just curious if USA/CANADA is slowing down with with the sale of steelbooks because of the COVID pandemic or are they going to discontinue the sale of these exclusives.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Cull Obsidian View Post
    I just received my copy of Godzilla vs. Kong 4K UHD SteelBook and from what I can see with Best Buy USA logo and no French on the J-card; it looks like we might be getting the extras and/or leftovers from the USA. Which to be honest I am fine with;
    I can't say I agree with that, Bilingual "J" cards are only required if the product is to be sold in QC, if you recall there was a time you could choose English or Bilingual editions from the FS/BB sites.
    In addition, the back of the "J" card has the Canadian Home Video rating of "PG" which would not appear on US only editions.
    My guess? they're simply not importing large quantities of "exclusives in Canada any longer, probably for the same reason that many movies only get sold here on DVD. Dropping BD/DVD combos here, is also on the increase, these are still available in the US. We simply don't have the market and they try to keep the costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cull Obsidian View Post
    but what I am wondering is while replenishment is a major issue these days on both sides of the border, is it only occurring with steelbooks collectibles or is it also occurring with regular bluray discs. I am just curious if USA/CANADA is slowing down with with the sale of steelbooks because of the COVID pandemic or are they going to discontinue the sale of these exclusives.
    It's not limited to SteelBooks, standard Editions are also being affected. I know there were issues with Quality, case supplies and plastics in general, affecting the stamping at some point. Even Boutique Labels are regularly pushing back release dates. Whatever the problem is, it's not strictly Covid related, there's Stamping and Manufacturing issues as well.
    My guess, Best Buy Canada will probably remain the course they're on, and simply issue a token SteelBook every so often.
    The concept was developed to increase store traffic, many preferred to inspect SteelBooks before buying, and of course increasing the chances for Impulse purchases. Covid changed shopping habits, online is now the choice.
    There are more retail wide releases than exclusives available in Canada, that's probably a good indication.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post
    I can't say I agree with that, Bilingual "J" cards are only required if the product is to be sold in QC, if you recall there was a time you could choose English or Bilingual editions from the FS/BB sites.
    In addition, the back of the "J" card has the Canadian Home Video rating of "PG" which would not appear on US only editions.
    My guess? they're simply not importing large quantities of "exclusives in Canada any longer, probably for the same reason that many movies only get sold here on DVD. Dropping BD/DVD combos here, is also on the increase, these are still available in the US. We simply don't have the market and they try to keep the costs down.
    Sorry @jacques1400, I meant no offence I was not trying to suggest that the Bilingual "J" cards are only required if the product is to be sold in QC but from my limited experience purchasing steelbooks; a few of the ones I have got from the USA have had no Bilingual "J"and I was also surprised to see a US Best Buy logo which is definitely from American Best Buy stores coming in the mail. But thank you for explaining it to me; granted I am interested in seeing what happens at Best Buy USA/CAN when Disney steelbook releases (which seem to sell out within 2-3hrs) like Cruella, Black Widow and Luca are released to home video.
    Last edited by Cull Obsidian; 06-19-2021 at 05:05 PM.