Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Credits

Polanski says no to academy

From Empire website

Roman Polanski's nomination this week for Best Director once more raised the thorny question as to whether the director would be willing, or indeed able to attend the ceremony in Los Angeles. Polanski, who back in 1977 fled the States after being arrested for having sex with a 13 year old girl, hasn't been back since. And yesterday, the director's agent told the press that Polanski would not be on the guest list next month.

'He has no plans to come to the Unites States,' Jeff Berg said. 'He lives in Europe, and his home is there, and the legal issues are unresolved, and he has no plans for returning.'

Polanski himself added to the statement saying, 'I am deeply honored by these nominations and regard them as a tribute to all those who made such fine contributions to The Pianist.'

This is the second time that Polanski has been nominated for an Oscar since the incident. The first was in 1981 when he was nominated for Tess.

A few years back there were rumours circulating that the director was going to cut a deal, enabling him to return to the States, but nothing happened and the local Prosecutor recently maintained that no such deal could be made because Polanski is a fugitive from the court, not part of an ongoing trial. "The court has to sentence [Polanksi], in some manner,' LA's District Attourney spokesperson Sandi Gibbons says, adding that a judge would have to decide whether Polanski would have to spend any more time in jail in addition to the 42 days he served back in the seventies.

Any thoughts?

Credits
    after being arrested for having sex with a 13 year old girl

well duh.... he will be arrested if he steps into US soil...
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Interesting...I didn't know this.:big grin:

Credits
    It's a Catch 22.

See, if I'm him, I won't even risk going back to the US if I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna win.

But we all know once Polanski's in the US soil he'll get arrested. Since he won't be able to accept the Award on the ceremony, the Academy won't give him the Oscar anyway.

So Polanski'll never get an Oscar, not after he serves his time for f-king that 13-year-old girl.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    So how would people feel if he came back and did cut a deal with the courts and then went on to win an oscar?

Would it be right for a man convicted of such a heinous crime to then be standing in front of all those people accepting Hollywood's greatest award?

Credits
    How 'bout this: nix Polanski's nod, and give one to Spike Jonze!
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Is it possible to accept an Oscar "via satellite"?

Have him in Europe/Australia/Off the coast of the US/Whatever with a steup so he can watch the event and be hooked up to a big screen if he wins?

Or is one of the rules you have to be present to accept an award?

Credits
    It doesn't really matter if the charges are lifted. The second he steps foot in America he'll be killed anyway.

He shouldn't even be nominated.:mad:

Credits

Question

Originally posted by moviebuff
    It doesn't really matter if the charges are lifted. The second he steps foot in America he'll be killed anyway.

He shouldn't even be nominated.:mad:

WTF - u don't what u are talking about - Polanski is one of the greatest directors of century - if u don't belive me go and see The Pianist...
    Sometimes a wind blows
    and the mysteries of Love
    come clear. -David Lynch

my top 20 movies

Credits
    Originally posted by guevara
    WTF - u don't what u are talking about - Polanski is one of the greatest directors of century - if u don't belive me go and see The Pianist...
    Yeah but sex with an 13 Year old girl.....

Credits
    Originally posted by GermanFinne
    That doesn't make him a bad director - it makes him a twisted individual that needs help.

Credits
    if u don't belive me go and see The Pianist...
    ... or Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Ninth Gate, Death and the Maiden...

Credits
    I'm not gonna watch the pianist. I'm not going to watch anything created in the mind of someone so peverted. I have seen the Fearless vampire killers though and it was one of the crappest films I've seen.

Personally I don't care if he has any talent as a director he still shouldn't get a nomination, people like that should not be in the spotlight. He should be ignored and people as sick as that should not be rewarded. If he ever wants to find forgiveness then he should serve his time for what he did rather than hide out in another country and untill then people should not support his work.:mad:

Credits

Originally posted by GermanFinne
    If you put in jail everyone who had sex with an underage girl/boy there would probably be very little movies or TV shows made. And no Catholic Church.
    If people ignored artists' creations because of objection to
    their private lives, a lot of great work all throughout history would have been lost.
    Artists have been known throughout history for their profligate
    ways. Look at what happened to Oscar Wilde, for example. He was clapped into Reading Gaol for homosexual activity and became persona non grata in his homeland, England. Yet he was a wonderful playwright. Does anyone refuse to attend his plays, which are still being performed today, because Wilde was a homosexual? Of course not. It seems ludicrous now that this
    ever happened at all.
    If Polanski is, indeed, guilty of that which he is accused - there is no excuse for it. If you see Polanski's "The Pianist", you will know there are some images of dead children lying in the streets of the Warsaw Ghetto, which is the horrible truth.
    When Polanski was a child, he was a part of all that. There was no one to protect him from death by starvation, disease (typhus) or murder. As a Jewish child, he survived on his own by the application of his wits - and sheer luck. On the one hand, his own experience is far worse than the behavior he is accused of and, on the other hand, one would have thought his ordeal would have made him more sensible to the vulnerabilities of children in the world.
    My understanding is that his alleged victim has forgiven Polanski. Has she forgiven her mother, as well? Something about the situation makes one question the actions of the parent. I do not think R. Polanski can come to America. He is, apparently, a fugitive from justice and would have to stand trial or otherwise subject himself to whatever prosecutors intend to do about him. He cannot or should not escape the music because he is a famous director. That is not to say that celebrities are not dealt with leniently in our country - shockingly so sometimes. However, life is not solely about Laws made by Man. There must be a means of redemption in the existence of a human being. This is not so much about being forgiven by ones fellow man.
    Obviously, certain crimes are not pardonable. But, if one does a wrong that he cannot take back, the only redemption left to him is to do good in the future and, of course, refrain from evil. I know nothing about the private life of Polanski today, but I believe his film, "The Pianist", is a major benefice to society, a splendid creation, a work of art. As such, it cannot be ignored or tainted in any way by the acts of its creator in the past. A work of art must always stand on its own merits. It becomes a thing with a life of its own and all tribute is due it for its own sake.
    Last edited by Equinox; 02-19-2003 at 06:54 AM.

Credits
    but still, an adult should be responsible enough to know that having sex with a young person is morally wrong and is simply taking advantage of the young person.

there is simply no unconditional love between relationships like these, it simply sex for gratification....

there is no excuse for this, even if the mother forced it or approved it, even more it is wrong in this case...

what a pushy amoral society we have or world..

and Equinox .. it is bad to simply copy and paste the text of others..... at least say or mention your source...
    Last edited by trailergod; 02-19-2003 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast