Credits

TALK Ridley Scott

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Scott,+Ridley

Date of birth (location)
    30 November 1937
    South Shields, Tyne and Wear, England, UK

So who is Ridley Scott to you?
    Do you like his movies?
    What is your favorite movie that he directed?

he made 19 movies....

i like
    Thelma & Louise (1991)
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0103074
    &
    Alien (1979)
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078748

his visuals are simply amazing.... too bad his bad movies outnumber the good

Trade mark
    Stunning visuals.

His films often feature strong female characters

Being the actors' director that he is, Scott favors extensive use of the two-camera 'V' set-up, thus enabling his actors to play more fluidly off one another without being constantly interrupted by calls to "Cut!".

Frequently uses music by Hans Zimmer.

Trivia
    Education, West Hartlepool College of Art; Royal College of Art, London (art, film).

Brother of director Tony Scott.

Owns the visual effects company Mill Film, based in London. They did the majority of the effects work on Gladiator (2000).

Enya's 1986 recording "Aldebaran" is dedicated to Ridley Scott.

Ridley Scott was the director of the famous "1984" commercial, that introduced the Apple Macintosh during halftime of the 1984 Super Bowl.

In the 1990s, Scott was developing a film adaptation of the Richard Matheson novel, 'I Am Legend'. This project was never finished.

Is the father of "director's cut". !!!!!!!!!

Black Hawk Down is dedicated to his mother, who died in 2001.

Has made over 2000 commercials.
    Is the father of "director's cut". !!!!!!!!! ..damn right :big grin:
    Last edited by trailergod; 05-07-2003 at 04:09 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    One of the most promising directors of the late '70s, Ridley Scott displayed stylistic flair and remarkable storytelling abilities in such films as The Duellists (1977) and his landmark Alien (1979). Although he remained a respected director on both sides of the Atlantic, his career suffered repeated blows throughout the 1980s and 1990s, with a series of critical and commercial missteps, beginning with the costly and unsuccessful 1492: Conquest of Paradise.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Born November 30, 1937, in Northumberland, England, Scott was educated at the West Hartlepool College of Art and London's Royal College of Art. After completing his education, he became a set designer for the British Broadcasting Company in the early '60s, eventually getting promoted to director of such popular BBC series as the long-running police adventure Z Cars. With the establishment of his own firm, Ridley Scott Associates, Scott was in on the ground floor of some of the most inventive European TV commercials of the 1970s.

The director's transition to the big screen came with his direction of 1977's The Duellists, a visually striking Napoleonic war film that won the Jury Prize for Best First Feature at the Cannes Film Festival. Further success followed with 1979's Alien, which established Scott as both an important director and a shining knight for horror and sci-fi devotees. In 1982, the director found himself at the center of a storm around his production of Blade Runner. After repeated clashes with studio executives over the film's complex content and downbeat finale, Scott added a voice-over narration and a more positive ending. The results sparked an outcry from film purists, and Blade Runner fell victim to negative reviews and poor box-office results. It wasn't until the early '90s that the director's cut was finally released, theatrically and on video cassette, and the film was recognized as a science fiction masterpiece.

In the meantime, Scott continued to direct such films as the 1986 fantasy Legend, starring Tom Cruise, and 1989's Black Rain, which featured Michael Douglas as a vice cop on a mission to Japan. In 1991, he encountered critical and commercial triumph with Thelma & Louise. Starring Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon, the film was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Director for Scott. After the film's success, it seemed that the director could do no wrong. Unfortunately, he did just the opposite with his next project, 1992's 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The film proved to be a complete flop, and for the next few years Scott relinquished his directorial duties in favor of producing such films as Monkey Trouble and The Browning Version (both 1994).

Scott returned to the director's chair in 1996, with White Squall, an action-adventure film set on a boat full of troubled teenage boys. Unfortunately, the film performed poorly among critics and at the box office, and Scott's next feature, G.I. Jane (1997), suffered a similar fate. He then returned to producing, working on the 1997 TV series The Hunger, which was based on the 1983 movie directed by his brother, Tony Scott, who was best-known for such action fare as Top Gun (1986) and Enemy of the State (1998). After producing the 1998 black comedy Clay Pigeons, Scott returned to directing with Gladiator (2000), a Roman epic starring Russell Crowe as its titular hero. Budgeted at 100 million dollars and weighing in at 154 minutes, the film was hailed by some critics who saw it as a return to grand-scale movie-making, while others saw it as merely overblown. Regardless of the critics' opinions, Gladiator was undoubtedly wildly popular, earning five Oscars, including Best Picture, at the 73rd Annual Academy Awards.
    At last. My favourite Director.

Tisoy will hate me for this but when you've got the visual style as good as Ridley Scott's then stuff character development because he makes you care for the characters anyway. His best film is Alien one of my top 5 movies ever made, and it was thanks to Scotts masterfull direction that this low budget movie was so good. Even without seeing the Alien, even before they find the Alien, the camera moves in such a way that it feels like it's stalking the cast which is the main reason Alien can give most grown men nightmares. He's directed the classic sci fi thriller Blade Runner, though to be honest I'm one of the people who prefered the theatrical cut to the directors cut, because the voiceover gave it a more film noir feel. However Scotts camera work was still on display in this film.

He had a bit of a lapse in the 90's after Thelma and Luize by making such crqap as GI Jane, however throughout his lapse in quality it was just the films hge chose. He still got some strong performances from his cast and his camera work was amazing.

He returned to form lately though with Gladiator. A film that has recieved a fare ammount of critical panning but I still loved it. Gladiator may not have developed it's characters too well, but Scott kept the whole film feeling brilliant. Strong performances from an amazing cast and an emotional story of revenge and betrayel was helped along enourmously by Scotts style. The camera kept the battles so exciting and yet highlited a lot of the characters emotion.

Finally came Black Hawk down, one of the most brutal war films I have seen. Scott made the brave desision to remain faithfull to the event by focusing on the entire team as the character instead of choosing one and developing them. His film packed one hell of a punch and fely much more authentic than Spielburgs oscar bait Saving Private Ryan.

• Black Hawk Down (2001) ****half

• Hannibal (2001) ***

• Gladiator (2000) *****

• G.I. Jane (1997) **

• White Squall (1996) **

• Thelma & Louise (1991) ***

• Black Rain (1989) ***

• Legend (1986) ***

• Blade Runner (1982) *****

• Alien (1979) *****

Sorry for the long reply but the director is a genious.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Thumbs up

>So who is Ridley Scott to you?

'godfather' of the alien

>Do you like his movies?

ofcours (!)

>What is your favorite movie that he directed?

Alien (what else), but Blade Runner coming very close

i only missing this two (+ TV series) on my viewing list:
    White Squall (1996) & The Duellists (1977)

somebody have DVD (or meybi rip) ?

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT