Originally posted by chizzace
I guess anime could be classified as a movie but not to be compared with movies as Tisoy says. It's almost like a different form of movies. Anime is just not my thing...
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Not connecting with the medium is one thing, but to claim that it can't be compared with movies is a different matter. I haven't seen the Cowboy Bebop movie, but it was based on a TV show, again not one I'm familiar with, which could explain why it felt like a TV show. Other anime will no doubt have better animations, such as Metropolis or Ghost In The Shell. Again you may not be able to relate to the films, which is just your taste, but can anybody seriously watch the 2 I mentioned and say they can not compare to a movie. There is so much more to emotion in a film than just the actors. That's why movies are an artform, because cinematography, writing and soundtrack are all combined with the acting in a live action movie. They are also combined in anime, and cinematography is arguably better thanks to the lack of restrictions the medium offers. The soundtrack and writing still work, as does voice acting and animation for facial expressions.

BTW Tisoy, I promise you that Metropolis has more emotion than Charlies Angels Full Throttle.

On a final note, do people consider comedies as to be not movies? A movie like Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid can not be compared to Schindlers List because they're different. Does that make BCSK less of a movie? I hope not because it's one of my favourites.
If we downgrade anime for that reason though we need to downgrade every film ever made. We should not be making top 20 lists because no 2 films are the same. How can we list the films unless it's the same film 20 times? All films have differences, all good films at least, and anime is just another way of making a film.