Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
It sounds like I worked at a theater just like the one J7 was at. I miss those days...
Yes, it was the good old days!

1983, 1987 and 1990.

The 8-Plex in 1987 was a $1 movie theater but it was a brand new theater owned by Cinemark:

the Westminister 8.

One of their first theater to open in Houston by Cinemark, which started in 1984.

It's now closed and has been closed for about 8 years.

The 9-Plex I worked at in 1990 was the Cineplex Odeon Spectrum 9 theater: the flagship of Cineplex (now Plitt) theaters in Houston.

THX in 4 out of 9 auditoriums, escalators upstairs and downstairs from a raised center lobby entrance, elevator, 2 concession stands, skylights, marble floors, plush seats, expensive carpeting, multi-level parking garage.

We were also the first theater in Houston to get the Dolby Digital sound system when Jurassic Park premiered.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/15820/photos

The movie that played at the Grand opening of it in 1988 was Die Hard in 70mm 6 Track Stereo which to this day, it's still one of the Best movie going experiences I'd ever had.

Better than any IMAX or 3D screening I ever seen!

The theater I worked at in 1983, the Wind Chimes 8, is still open:

it's been a $1 movie theater for about 20 years now and I hear it's a dump now.

It's too bad!

It was a nice theater when it opened in 1982 and until it became a dollar theater, it was one of the nicest theater in Far West Houston.

The first movie I watched there was Firefox and then WarGames.

I never thought I would end up working there.

Back then it was difficult to get there from my parents' house.

The 3 roads that went to it (South to North) were not direct routes yet, there were sections of them that were not opened, still under construction or still just grassy fields.

So to get there, there was a lot of going east and west and north and south and going east and west again.

It was only in 1984 that those 3 roads became straight shots to the theater.