Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    PART IV: BOOKS - A3

Here another quote.

[Zombies are] one of the new buzz words in publishing. I think that the world is ready to re-embrace the zombie culture - after the massive amount of vampire novels that have been published, it's time for a change of antagonist. We are very aware that there is going to be an explosion of zombie novels being published over the next year, but we absolutely believe that we have the definitive novel from the one author whom every fan of the genre will want to read. There is no one more qualified to write a zombie novel. You just have to look on the internet and around the world at the enthusiasm with which Romero, and zombies, are greeted, to see that there's a huge amount of potential for these books.
    - Headline publisher, Vicki Mellor on the deal

This book seems to be structured like Max Brooks' novel "World War Z: An Oral History Of The Zombie War" (2006); vignettes in chronological order - told in first person. I highly recommend it.

Brooks wrote what many (myself included) consider the definitive zombie apocalypse tale, that damn good. Please don't bother with the movie (2013), has next to nothing to do with the source book. There exist a better adaptation, a full cast audio production, like the golden age of radio.

Also quite good. It exist in both abridge and unabridged CDs.

The above image appeared on Amazon in the Spring of 2010. The page number was listed, three hundred twenty pages.

Info was given about the audio book edition, unabridged for $29.98. During this time, the online retailer claimed the hardback would have a retail price of $25.99 with a release date of July 1st that year.

The date came and went with zero novel materializing.

The DVD release of his sequel for "Diary Of The Dead" (2007); "George A. Romero's Survival Of The Dead: Two-Disc Ultimate Undead Edition" (streeted on August 24th, 2010 with lenticular slipcover) has a statement from Romero in the special features. Asked about the novel, he remarked "don't believe everything you've heard".

BUT there was that official announcement from Headline. And the detailed listing on Amazon. The book was reported in numerous websites including Dread Central.

Later that Spring, Tower (the website is still alive, but Tower Records is dead) had an entry for it. Now called "The Living Dead: The Beginning" (NOT the comic of the same name) with an ISBN number of 0446561835. Different date though, July 24th, 2010.

And that's where it should've ended, but like the zombies - rose back up.

In December 2011 Allbookstore.com had a listing for July 2012 release with the same ISBN. The book now published by Grand Central Publishing (same number of pages, an American publisher). And Amazon revised it's audio book listing for July 1st, 2012 - still by Hachette Audio. WTF?

The original book entry was removed and replaced with an "Unknown Binding" listing, going for $74.99 with a currently unavailable notice; "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." Confused?

This is what I think happened; pure speculation.

He did write most or perhaps completed the book (first draft). The deal with Headline turned sour. There may have been a silent legal battle over the rights. This was when Romero made his comment on the novel. He won or some agreement was reached. A new publisher was awarded the deal, Grand Central A revised date was given, July of 2012. But that too turned sour for one reason or another.

Look that "Unknown Binding" book was real and did sell. Somebody out there bought that novel.

Updating this research another twist surfaced. This time on Amazon United Kingdom website.

Grand Central is coming out with the book (hardcover) in January 2016 - same ISBN number.

Got curious and checked Wal-Mart's website; they're taking pre-orders! A list price of $25.99. The audio book retails for $18.96.

Will it happen this time? But I suppose the all important question - is it any good? I suppose we'll find out next month.

I'll end this entry with a bit of printed trivia. The November 2008 issue (there were different covers) of Empire magazine (British), published the results of a world-wide poll of the "500 Greatest Movies Of All Time"; "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) ranked 397th.

And that closes 2015. The next entry reaches for you with bloody fingers on January 14th, 2016.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-25-2018 at 06:10 AM.