PART I: THE 1968 CLASSIC - N P1

No story this outing; far too much to cover on a subject many have waited decades for. The destination isn't as we hoped, but like any good trip, the journey can be greater than the terminus. I wrote a three parter. *nods*

"Night Of The Living Dead" Criterion (#909) streeted on February 13th, 2018 from... The Criterion Collection (DVD UPC# 7 15515 21021 8) for DVD (three discs) and Blu-Ray (two discs; UPC# 7 15515 21011 9) at $39.95 each. These came in transparent cases.

This streeted against "The Ballad Of Lefty Brown", "Blade Of The Immortal", "Wonder" and "Animal Kingdom: The Complete Second Season".

The DVD edition came without a slipcover. However the BD came with a non-embossed cardboard slip which mirrored the wraparound - sealed under the wrapping. It came with an insert, not a booklet, but a folded poster, new Illustration by Sean Phillips - undead Karen Cooper, the famous image. Phillips also did the wraparound; black and white art, both sides. The inside has the ghouls trying to get to you through the case as if it's a window. Rather neat. I moved my copy into a better transparent case, since I didn't want the discs to overlap. The other side of that poster is an essay by film critic, Stuart Klawans.

The motion picture is ninety-six minutes long.

- - -

Extras:

* Newly remastered 4K print
* Commentary 1: director/co-writer George A. Romero, co-writer/actor/film editor John Russo, producer/actor/make-up/electronic sound effects/still photographer Karl Hardman and actress Marilyn Eastman
* Commentary 2: producer/actor Russell Streiner, director of photography/actor/assistant camera Bill Hinzman, actress Judith O' Dea, actor Keith Wayne, actress Kyra Schon and production director/actor Vince Survinski
* Introduction to "Night Of Anubus" by Streiner (anamorphic, 7:17 minutes [movie scenes in full screen])
* Presentation of "Night Of Anubus", uncorrected 16mm work print - missing part two of the second reel. The audio was not stored with canisters, lost to time. Sound mixed in by synching the audio from the theatrical print when possible; parts are silent (full screen, 1:25:04 minutes; sixteen chapters)
* Introduction to "Dailies" by sound engineer Gary Streiner (anamorphic, 3:40 minutes [movie scenes in full screen])
* Presentation of "Dailies" uncorrected 16mm raw film footage and alternate takes (full screen, 18:03 minutes, no audio)
* "TV Newsreel" b-roll 16mm shots for the local Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania news - saved onto VHS by actor/host Billy "Chilly Billy" Cardille; only known, behind-the-scenes footage; no audio - music added by Jeff Carney (full screen, 2:47 minutes)
* Presentation in edited form - "Tomorrow"; the NBC interview TV show hosted by Tom Snyder. The episode is on horror filmmakers (aired July 3rd, 1979) with guest George A. Romero and Don Coscarelli. Romero was there to promote "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978) and Coscarelli for "Phantasm" (1979) (full screen, 18:18 minutes)
* "High Learning" - footage from the Romero interview and Q&A at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) moderated by Colin Geddes (five chapters); November 2nd, 2012 (anamorphic, 45:28 minutes)
* "Learning From Scratch: The Latent Image And Night Of The Living Dead" featurette; Russo reminiscences on The Latent Image company, making TV commercials, shooting 'Night" and learning as you go filmmaking (anamorphic, 11:57 minutes [movie scenes and commercials in full screen])
* "Light In The Darkness: The Impact Of Night Of The Living Dead" interviews with filmmakers Frank Darabont, Gullermo del Toro and Robert Rodriguez on the cinematic influence of 'Night' (anamorphic, 23:40 minutes [movie scenes in full screen])
* "Tones Of Terror: The Night Of The Living Dead Score" featurette by Criterion NOTLD producer, Jim Cirronella (co-producer of "Autopsy Of The Dead" and released the official CD soundtrack, "They Won't Stay Dead!: Music From The Soundtrack Of Night Of The Living Dead" [2010]) speaks on the topic of using prefabricated, library music for the movie; narration over film scenes (anamorphic and full screen, 11:14 minutes)
* "Limitations Into Virtues: The Image Ten Style" featurette, filmmakers Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos from Every Frame A Painting discuss Romero's film making and commercials; narration over footage (full screen, 11:56 minutes)
* "Duane Jones" interview by Tim Ferrante with Jacqueline Ferrante (December 13th, 1987); this is a longer version than what appears as "Duane Jones' Last Interview" on the Elite Entertainment's "25th Anniversary Collector's Edition" laser disc set (1994) and "Millennium Edition" DVD (2002). Or the 2008 Genius Products's "40th Anniversary Edition" with different photos and footage presented (anamorphic, 21:55 minutes)
* "Judith Ridley Interview" from Elite Entertainment's LD set and later DVD (full screen, 10:41 minutes)
* "Walking Like The Dead" featurette which is excerpts from the 2009 documentary "Autopsy Of The Dead", interviews mixed in with different photos and footage presented (full screen, 13:05 minutes)
* "Venus Probe" 1967 newsreel on the Mariner 5 planetary probe which became the basis for a possible source of the dead coming back to life (full screen, 0:32 minute)
* Theatrical Trailer
* Criterion 'Night Of The Living Dead' promo trailer
* TV Spots
* Radio Spots (1968 and mid 1970s re-release)

- - -

Audio:

* Digital 2.0 (remastered mono)

- - -

NOTES/REVIEW

There are subtitles in English.

The DVD is not dubbed in any language(s).

It is presented in full screen.

Pre-ordered this on January 4th from Amazon for $18.31. It arrived on street. I wanted to take my time, digest as it were and for the write-up, knowing it would be lengthy. Plus screen snaps which is why this is broken up into two parts. That photo above was taken at the premiere on October 1st, 1968 at the Fulton Theater in Pittsburgh, PA.

Lets get this out of the way. There is no missing scene between Helen and Harry in the basement - the infamous jump cut. Perhaps forever gone. There is no alternate endings spoken about by Romero on June 16th, 1970 when 'Night' had a screening and later Q&A at New York's Museum Of Modern Art.

Ben still dies.

There is however one quick scene - moment that has been recovered. But... I'll get into that in a few.

I'm sure, many like myself had hoped that we would finally get those missing scenes - that have almost taken legendary status. A hope that even Gary Streiner shares on his Introduction to "Dailies".

Anything is possible, someone, somewhere might have them, saved in a forgotten corner of their attic, basement or at a storage site. But right now, it's looking mighty slim that we will ever find those cut pieces - wishful thinking.

On the positive, the movie has never looked as good as it looks now. They did a fantastic job, remastered in 4K on Cineric's wet-gate scanner; mostly from 35mm negative. The transfer was supervised by director Romero, co-screenwriter John A. Russo and sound engineer Gary R. Rtreiner as well as producer Russell W. Streiner.

This restoration was done from eighteen separate source elements. Soundtrack remastering was supervised by Romero and Gary from original quarter-inch mix masters.

The extras are mostly new, though - two of them have been re-imagined for Criterion. Before we get into the 'meat' of this entry let me get this out of the way, not going to repeat since I already wrote it.

This special edition, has good stuff, but is far from complete. To get the full 'Night' experience you need to get a few additional titles - which you can read about in "NOTLD Reunification - P2".

There is no gallery present, the goods stuff is still exclusive to the 1994 laser disc set. But there are many photos used to illustrate points in the various interviews and featurettes here. Some which are in color. Such as the above.