Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on November 27th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Scissors - cuts paper; rock - covers sentinel; this outing we get stoned with "Gargoyles"...

"Gargoyles: Season 2, Volume 2" was released on home video on October 14th, 2014.

It streeted against "Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season", "The Complete Mr. Peabody & Sherman Collection" and "Bronco: The Complete Second Season" (MOD).

Let me address this first; yes I know the image above is from the series' first season. I tried, really - to find a promo image for the second, could not. Bunch of fan made pixs and comic book illustrations.

This came in a did not come in a 'standard' DVD case. While it was the right size, the inside was different. Inside was a spindle for all three discs, stacked. So easy to get scratched - rotate freely, rubbing against each other.

There was no slipcover issued nor is the wraparound foiled (as was "The Complete First Season"). It came with two inserts. 1) "Disney Movie Rewards" points (I see no expiration). 2) Ad for the Disney Movie Club; four releases (DVD or BD) for a dollar with membership. Just call it their version of Columbia House Music Club, which isn't so much a scam as it is over priced titles to fulfill your contract. And yeah, got suckered - eleven cassettes for a penny. Took me nearly a year to satisfy Columbia's requirements. Never again, negative option billing hell.

- - -

This was a limited time exclusive from Wal-Mart; sold for $9.97. As said above, the case situation was awful; not the last time I came across that monstrosity. I was fortunate my discs were mint. At the time I had a genuine three disc case in waiting and migrated the release.

The national release for "Season 2, Volume 2" happened on January 13th, 2015. Sorry, don't know the retail price, probably close to $19.99, but that's speculation. At the time, this wasn't something I wasn't expecting. I was there to pick up "Penny Dreadful", found by accident - a happy accident (twenty-six episodes). This is one of a other Disney DVD exclusives in store.

Others in this limited Wal-Mart run were "Tale Spin: Volume 3", "Goof Troop: Volume 1" and "Goof Troop: Volume 2"; all four are priced the same and national street. Wait - second installment of "Goof Troop", national release came on January 27th, 2015.

At one point - all of these titles were exclusive to the Disney Movie Club. These re-releases have new wraparounds which in my opinion is superior to their club offers.

Above is the cover art for "Season 2, Volume 2" DMG version - which came out June 25th, 2013. This has gotten me looking each time I'm at the store - hoping.

What I want to find is "Kim Possible" seasons 1 and 2, which were also Disney Movie Club exclusives. AND I would love to find "Tron Uprising". I would buy them in a heartbeat. There was a seller on Ebay that's selling both Kim DMG seasons for $79.99 (free shipping). Would be all shiny if Wal-Mart did that... for much cheaper. I'm still looking when I'm at their media area in store, fingers crossed.

AND I would like to find "Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles" too, thirteen episodes. This doesn't have an national release nor Disney exclusive.

Sure - if you're into the show (I wasn't, still not), volume one of "Goof Troop" is an upgrade. Its original exclusive release was a single disc; the re-release has the episodes presented on three DVDs. Man, the original must have had poor bit rate.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Like most fans, bought Season One and Season Two, Volume 1 of Disney's "Gargoyles" when they came to DVD in 2004 and 2005.

Okay. I should. Don't know if this show is in syndication - there could be folks in the dark. This was a weekday, afternoon show (Monday - Friday) in syndication. It premiered on October 24th, 1994 and ran for three, half hour seasons.

It told the story of a clan of Gargoyles lead by Goliath living in the modern world trying to right wrongs and getting caught in a vast conspiracy. It began in 994 in Scotland where Goliath and his kin were cursed to become stone until the day that their castle "rises above the clouds."

Their punishment was a frame job by prejudice men who sought to ride the lands of the creatures. Jump forward to 1994, billionaire David Xanatos has bought their castle and had it rebuilt atop his New York City skyscraper. The curse is lifted - for a few hours. Each time at dawn they return to stone until night falls. NYPD detective, Elisa Maza discovered their existence, befriends and assist them.

What set this apart from so many animated shows of its time was the writing and running story lines. This was a complicated, dark series, people died - granted not on camera (you know what I mean). It wasn't just a kids' show, sure they can be entertained, but it wasn't made exclusively for them. The people here were not perfect, they screwed up royalty; their actions had serious consequences.

Another high point was the voice actors, it had Keith David, Jonathan Frakes, Ed Asner, Marina Sirtis and Kate Mulgrew among others. Alumni of various "Star Trek" (post Next Gen) series made voice appearances.

Fans like myself wondered when volume two would come out, years went by and nothing. Glad this happened, sway.

As mentioned above; what's missing is the third season. "Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles" aired Saturday mornings on ABC in 1996. This took away the mystery as the public at large now knows about their existence; the good and bad that follows with such knowledge. Season three was thirteen episodes.

There is no DVD release (as of yet). It's considered the bastard of the lot. I liked it, but it was a bit removed from the rest; "Goliath Chronicles" had new animators and writers. The series ended with a solid conclusion and acceptance. It had a good run and is fondly remembered like "Batman: The Animated Series", a competing TV show at the time.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

A retooled season one of "Gargoyles" had a home video release before it streeted on DVD on December 7th, 2004.

The five episode pilot/mini-series was edited into a single program; "Gargoyles: The Movie - The Heroes Awaken". It was released on laser disc on January 31st, 1995 for $29.99 from Buena Vista Home Video (UPC# 7 86936 39366 8). This was an eighty minute presentation in CLV (full screen), two sided LD in Dolby Surround.

While researching, discovered something...

There was a VHS release (also full screen), this streeted on February 3rd, 1995 for $19.99 which included a VCR interactive board game, remember those? Above is the trade ad.

The LD is eighty minute long. The VHS is ninety minutes. I guessing this includes the animation for the game. Kinda wondering why this wasn't made available on laser disc, perhaps since it would be problematic for the game pieces. The video cassette is in a thick cardboard box to hold the interactive elements.

The laser disc cover? Just imagine the picture in the ad as the LD cover. Same difference.

If you're curious, David Xanatos is saying in the advertisement, "Stop! Move Back 4 Spaces!" and the players acting all hyper excited. Probably needed some kind of A.D.D. meds, the dad too. Well, we can hope that was the dad and not some creepy guy off the streets; 'Hey kids want to play a VCR game and later wrestle?'

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

This popped on my radar, the middle of last month. That DVD cover looks mighty familiar. Indeed.

I guess the imagery was catchy enough to get repeated.

The left is the novel, "Unfed" by Kirsty McMay. It came out on August 27th, 2013; hardback. The right is a recent DVD, "College Pranks"; streeted on February 23rd, 2021. Guys do love cheerleaders, never out grow them. *nods*

There you go, not one of my bigger entries, but does get the job done. Come back here on April 14th, 2021 for another helping of... nostalgia? Collector's nostalgia?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 05-13-2021 at 04:57 AM.