Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Google Earth on ML

Just a thread for those who want to share things from this beautiful program here in ML.

Google Earth home, download page, info on wikipedia

And from the version 4 on, Google Earth has a Linux installer

Credits
    One thing i don't understand about Google earth is why do we see a very clear and recent shot of the world trade center but when i check out MY house, the picture is almost 5 years old!!

Credits
    *´¨)
    ¸.~´¸.~*´¨) ¸.~*¨)
    (¸.~´ (¸.~´ `(•.°)~
    My Listology profile

Credits

Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post
    One thing i don't understand about Google earth is why do we see a very clear and recent shot of the world trade center but when i check out MY house, the picture is almost 5 years old!!
    I suppose they actualize images of interesting places frequently, but others they left as it are, maybe from the beginning of the program. Also, you can zoom deeply into cities like NY, but secondary cities in other countries can't be zoomed at the same level.

Thanks Nance for your links.

My intention here is: if you have found something interesting with Google Earth, share it here, if you can and if you want

For example, images of places related to movies, as an important studio.
    Last edited by jmcc; 11-08-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Credits

Smile Google Moon and Google Mars

I was thinking that it will be very interesting to have a program like Google Earth but about our natural satellite, the Moon.

Here is something, also by Google:

Google Moon

And very useful also:

Google Mars

Edit: Another link: Google Earth Community

And some between the huge lot of things you can find on Google Earth:

A crop circle near Ossett, UK:

(source)

The Soviet aircraft carrier Kiev, now in China:

(source)

White Sands nuclear bombing test site:

(source)

Aircraft carrier CVN 72 - USS Abraham Lincoln in Washington:

(source)

Pyramid of Djoser, Saqqara, Egypt:

(source, info)

Chernobyl nuclear plant:

(source)
    Last edited by jmcc; 11-09-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Credits

Post Google Sky add-on for Google Eart

From BBC, new add-on for Google Earth and some other news:

Google Earth given celestial view

By Jonathan Fildes
    Science and technology reporter, BBC News

The constellations of Andromeda, Hydra and Vulpecula are now just a mouse click away for amateur star-gazers, following the launch of Google Sky.

The tool is an add-on to Google Earth, a program that allows users to search a 3D rendition of our planet's surface.

Sky will allow astronomers a chance to glide through images of more than one million stars and 200 million galaxies.

Optional layers allow users to explore images from the Hubble Space Telescope as well as animations of lunar cycles.

"The basic idea is to take Google Earth and turn it on its head," Ed Parsons, Geospatial technologist at Google told the BBC News website.

"So rather than using it to view imagery of the Earth, use it to view imagery of space."

Dr John Mason of the British Astronomical Association, Britain's largest body for amateur astronomers said: "Light pollution and air pollution is now so bad in many areas that all you can see when you look up is a few dozen stars.

"If this helps people to realise just what they are missing, it is a jolly good thing."

Clear view

To use the new system, users will need to have Google Earth installed on their computer.

Digital astronomers can then zoom into an area from which they want to view the night sky.

"Click a button and the world flips round and you see the sky from that particular location," explained Mr Parsons. "[The view] would be the constellations that you would see oriented in the sky on that particular day at that particular time."

Users can overlay the night sky with other information such as galaxies, constellations and detailed images from the Hubble Space Telescope.

Imagery for the system came from six research institutions including the Digital Sky Survey Consortium, the Palomar Observatory in California and the United Kingdom Astronomy Technology Centre.

Much of the imagery can be found through searches on the internet but Google hope the add-on will be simpler and more fun.

Mr Parsons said: "The sky you will be seeing will be a completely clear and you will be able to see objects which are very faint indeed - that you can only see with very large telescopes."

Virtual tour

Sky is not the first time Google has ventured into space.

In March 2006, the company launched Google Mars which allows users to explore the surface of the Red Planet.

Another service, Google Moon, lets users view the sites of the Apollo moon landings.

Both services use data from the US Space Agency Nasa, with which Google signed an agreement in December 2006.

The Space Agreement Act was intended to put "the most useful of Nasa's information on the internet".

At the time, Nasa administrator Michael Griffin said the agreement would soon allow "every American to experience a virtual flight over the surface of the moon or through the canyons of Mars".

The two organisations also said they would collaborate in a variety of areas including adding data collected by Nasa to Google Earth.

However, Mr Parsons said the latest tool was not a product of the partnership.

Mass market

Google Sky is not the only tool that allows astronomers to explore the night sky from their computer.

For example, Stellarium is a free open source tool that gives people a chance to access more than 210 million stars, in addition to planets and moons.

The software is the brainchild of Fabien Chereau, a Research Engineer at the Paris Astronomical Observatory, and is used in many planetariums.

Like the suite of Google applications, it allows people to explore places of interest on Earth, as well as mission sites on the Moon and Mars.

Commercial alternatives also exist, such as Imaginova's Starry Night, that offers a range of software packages aimed at beginners to "the serious astronomer".

Apple Mac users can download a Starry Night widget that will allow them to see the night sky from any location on Earth.

"The other astronomy packages are designed for maybe the more professional amateur market," said Mr Parsons. "We are aiming this more at the mass market. If people get hooked and interested they may migrate to these other packages."
    Thanks to barrapunto.com

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I was thinking that it will be very interesting to have a program like Google Earth but about our natural satellite, the Moon.

Here is something, also by Google:

Google Moon
    I took a look at the extreme closeup of the moon's surface -- and it is indeed made of cheese! Just click on Google moon link and zoom all the way in!

Also from the FAQ about Google Moon...

Is Google Moon a result of your Copernicus initiative?

Glad you asked, and yes, the development of our lunar hosting and research center continues apace. We usually don't announce future products in advance, but in this case, yes, we can confirm that on July 20th, 2069, in honor of the 100th anniversary of mankind's first manned lunar landing, Google will fully integrate Google Local search capabilities into Google Moon, which will allow our users to quickly find lunar business addresses, numbers and hours of operation, among other valuable forms of Moon-oriented local information.
    The first interplanetary search engine -- gotta love it!
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Exclamation Landed UFO in Romania?

Someone found this with Google Earth. It seemed to be a landed UFO. But it really was a water pumping facility in Romania.

(source, direct link)

(source, direct link)

(source, direct link)

(source, direct link)

(source, direct link)

(source, direct link)

There are at least two of those buildings: first and second water pumping buildings near Timisoara (from these links you can get the kml file to see that in your Google Earth).

(source)

On my Google Earth:

This in Google Sightseeing, Google Earth Community.

Thanks to Kentaro Mori and UFO PORTUGAL Yahoo! group