Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

About the Nokia E62

Like I said on the cell phone thread, my mother gave me a Nokia E62 as a gift (thanks a lot mommy ). Well she gave me the money to buy one phone with broadband internet modem capability, and it was me who decided the brand and model.

First I wanted the Motorola Q but the price was a bit high, so I decided to look for another one and ended buying the E62.

What I want to comment here is that I believe that this phone is usually overrated. Some persons have commented on the internet that this is a slow smartphone... And that is the truth. It always take 2 seconds to open almost all menues and sometimes even more. Also, it's web browser collapses frequently when I am navigating some web pages, like ML (I have suffered this three times, at least, here, loosing my still unpublished posts...).

Once I received a low memory message with some indications which I couldn't read because the message suddenly disapeared too!

I need to wait patiently until every page is fully loaded to browse calmly. Apparently this works but the connection is fast, but no so fast (I was told that my connection speed was 406 kbps).

My conclusion and advise for others is this: if you have the money try to buy a better phone. I don't know which one but the Nokia E62 is not for "certified bandwidth abusers"...

The processor on this phone is an 32-bit RISC ARM9 and I believe that may be the problem.

St39.6, the one your mother gave you is the N95? How about it? Is it fast? Can you browse the web without problems? How about its camera... 5 megapixels?

The phone is GSM and its internet goes over an EDGE network (the E62 I mean).

Thanks a lot for your attention...

By the way, I was very surprised when I found the IE icon on the Motorola Q...

Credits
    Well all the smartphones are quite slow, you gotta get used to it. In most of the reviews of mine, they write "its not as slow as other smarts, but not really fast". I never really had problems with its (N95) speed - the menu pops up quite quickly, so do the programs - the waiting time is never long enought to iritate me, so its ok - and trust me, I can be very unpatient person.
    Speed of internet depends more on your operator imo - but I gotta say when I use our home wi-fi connection, even in that case its not really fast. I think it has something to do with power of the "receiver" (no idea how to call it) - after all its still just a cellphone with way too much functions and it cant do everything perfectly - the GPS chip in it is quite week also. Its a considerable alternative for a quick peak in restaurant, on a train or something - but as an alternative for a classical internet connection - its just not fast enought to be compared (not yet...).
    And yeah, if I have weak signal (via Wi-fi), it does switch off the connection :/, however never had a problem with it or never happened that some aplication shut the cell down.
    I havent yet looked on pics from camera on my PC, but judging from the look on the phone (and the zooming ability), it looks darn good for a cellphone. Tho it is quite slow - that might be only thing that sux - to start it it takes like 5secs and saving of picture takes maybe three seconds...but it does make really good vids
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    Thanks a lot for your answers st39.6 You have oriented me much. I didn't knew that all smartphones were relatively slow...

Only one thing: I never said that my phone was being shut down by a program. What I said is this: when I am navigating some pages, like Gmail and sometimes ML, it happened to me in various ocasions that the browser suddenly dissapeared... It closed alone itself due to some problem, maybe lack of memory.

And you are right, I'm getting used to it.

Again thanks for your answers.

Credits

Cool Nokia E62 on "Die Hard 4.0"

From e-series.org, the Nokia E62 is one of the cellphones used by John McClane on Die Hard 4.0:

(bigger image)

(bigger image)
    Last edited by jmcc; 02-21-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Credits

Playing Doom (I, shareware) on my smartphone

In the past days I have been playing the shareware version of the first Doom videogame on my smartphone

For the Symbian S60 version 3 there is available a program that can emulate Doom on the cellphone. It is available here. There is a free version and a better full version at 5 euros. To play the game you need to have the original WAD files of the game.

More info (and the source of the images) here.
    Last edited by jmcc; 03-09-2008 at 04:09 PM.