Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

The Coolest Hot Air Balloon Ever

Edit: Found another source for image.

When the Belgian 501st Legion FanWars Garrison first suggested that one of its members, Benoît Lambert, create a Death Star-shaped PVC helium balloon, he was not only thrilled but already envisioning a chance to show off his artistic talents as well as his love for Star Wars--and his skills as a hot-air balloonist.
    Ironically, Lambert had already been thinking of building a Darth Vader hot air balloon when FanWars leader Nicolas Lelong (TK-2054) first brought up the idea. "For me, it was more of a joke and a fantasy, but Nicolas took it seriously and found the idea wonderful," Lambert says. "He made contact with Lucasfilm in order to try to get their agreement."

Lucasfilm gave its approval for Lambert to have the balloon built with his own funds, using one of the most recognizable characters in cinema, as long as the balloon was not used for commercial pursuits. "We contacted Cameron -- the world's largest manufacturer of hot air balloons -- and a Darth Vader helmet replica was sent to their engineers to help them recreate every detail," Lambert recalls. "A vector file representing the Vader helmet in 3-D was also sent to the engineers. Once the first draft was in our hands, several shape and color modifications were discussed and made in order to be sure that the balloon would look as much as possible like the real Darth Vader helmet. Colors were chosen to optimize 3-D effects once the balloon is in flight. For aesthetic reasons, grey shades around the face are slightly different from the official shape."

"Once the last visual draft accepted by our team and by LFL, the manufacturing could begin," Lambert continues. "Eight weeks were necessary to give birth to the balloon. To keep this project secret at Lucasfilm's request, the English manufacturer called it 'Head One.' This name allowed us to keep the project secret until the balloon's first public appearance, and was also used for the official Belgian registration."

The balloon measures 26 meters (86 feet) high with the basket included, 21 meters (69 feet) wide and with a depth of 24 meters (78 feet). The estimated hot air volume 3.000 m³ (106,000 cubic feet) and estimated weight 320 kilos (705 lbs). The balloon can carry two passengers and a pilot. If the planets align, the Darth Vader balloon will be a major presence at an upcoming fan convention.
    Last edited by Kal-el; 05-15-2007 at 07:51 AM.
    Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is what I can do.

Credits

Question The Coolest Hot Air Balloon Ever

I can't see anything Kal-el, sorry...

Credits
    The picture above as a link...

Removed Link
    Last edited by corfy; 05-15-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Fixed. I guess the original link wouldn't work. And I also added a description.

Credits
    cool. Do Boba Fett next =)
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaumont View Post
    cool. Do Boba Fett next =)
    It always amazes me that Boba Fett is such a popular character considering he only gets about 20 minutes of screen time and a handful of lines across two movies (not counting his appearing as a kid in Ep II).

Credits
    Its the fact that everyone likes bounty hunters / guns for hire / cool technology to fight with

Thats y westerns n 007s type movies r always popular since they fit in the same catagory.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits

Post The Coolest Hot Air Balloon Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-el View Post
    Fixed. I guess the original link wouldn't work. And I also added a description.
    This has happened before when you publish images, Kal-el. At least 3 times if my memory is fine.

The balloon is very fine, by the way. I would like to have seen the Death Star, anyway.

corfy, your link goes to an adult entertainment webpage...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    corfy, your link goes to an adult entertainment webpage...
    Ghaaa... it worked yesterday. Removed now. Sorry about that.

Credits

Post The Coolest Hot Air Balloon Ever...

No, don't worry corfy. I am just notifying it to you because I believe that you will not like to left that link. I was suspecting it: the link was working when you published it.

Thanks
    Last edited by jmcc; 05-23-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Credits