Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Short and simple I support John McCain.

He's the only one willing to work on the immigration problem.
    He's the only one from either party who's a national hero.
    He's the only one with a record of being right about the Iraq war.
    He's the only one really willing to stop waste in government.
    And I like his straight talk attitude.

I don't like Romney because he's an opportunist and nothing more.
    I don't like Huckabee because he's got zero foreign policy knowledge.
    I don't like Thompson because he doesn't even seem to want to run.
    I don't like Paul because he's too radical (though I support some of his ideas).
    I like Giuliani but he's running some odd campaign.

On the Dem side as much as I dislike Hillary I think I'd have to support her simply by default. I liked Bill Richardson but he's out. I think Edwards and Obama are a disaster waiting to happen because they don't seem to have any clue as to what their programs will cost.

Of course it's never that plain and simple but that's my general opinion.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chernabog_ca View Post
    In our system (Parliamentary) it's a little different. Each party has a leader who then becomes the Prime Minister if said party is elected. The party with the second highest number of seats won, their leader becomes Leader of the Opposition.
    That's a bit strange that the party with the second highest number of seats goes into the opposition. Here and also in all of europe the party with highest number of seats also delivers the prime minister but then he must form a coalition with other party(ies) to get a majority in parliament. Usualy a majority is formed between the parties who have the most seats and a policy is negotiated between those parties. If an agreement on the policy isn't reached the prime minister must form a majority with the smaller parties which can result in a threeparty governement.
    Last edited by Jax; 01-16-2008 at 03:00 AM.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    I am not voting for Hillary, that's for sure.

She's a liar; she's two-faced; she has no stand on any issues - she changes her answer when asked about key issues like Economy and Abortion and Employment just to give people what they want to hear.
    Are these not pre-requisite qualities, for politicians?
    *´¨)
    ¸.~´¸.~*´¨) ¸.~*¨)
    (¸.~´ (¸.~´ `(•.°)~
    My Listology profile

Credits
    I hope a Republican candidate will win. I have get the image, sometimes, that Democrats want to gift their country to others.

When the election between Bush and Gore, I was supporting Bush mainly because I had the suspicion that the Democrats wanted to open the doors totally to immigration... Now tell me something: if I have a house and a family and I am very well economically, of course that I should help others, but that is one thing and another totally different is to open my home's door to let everyone to enter my house, to get my things and to influence my sons and daughters.

Persons and countries have their personalities and destiny, that is what I think, so when I see people so happily speaking about world integration, free immigration and things like that (apart of my suspicions that they are some form of hiding drugadicts, irresponsible persons and other things), I frankly think they are crazy.

I am not against immigration, but it is a very delicate matter...

Another thing I want to comment is the group of Candidates the Democrats have this year. I never saw something like that: A woman, an African-American and a Latino candidates together in the same year... I frankly don't know what happens with those groups of persons, the Latinos and the Blacks. Why are they so noisy and problematic? And why people would want a member of a minority governing their country? Why the Gypsies never had a Candidate for the White House (or they did)? Oh, please, be serious...

If some day the Gypsies have a Candidate, maybe he/she will be launched by the Democrats...

I remember that once a man that claimed to be in contact with extra-terrestrials proposed himself as candidate for the Presidency of the U.S.A. ...

Those things put in evidence that the world is not healthy... I think.

So I don't want any Democrat candidate on the White House. I sincerely want to see them lose.

Sorry if I sound racist. I believe I am not racist and don't want to sound like that...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    (...) I remember that once a man that claimed to be in contact with extra-terrestrials proposed himself as candidate for the Presidency of the U.S.A. (...)
    As far as I know all candidates are devout christians.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sex maniac View Post
    nope.... one of them is Mormon. besides, i particularly dont care what religion they are. if they are a better person becuase of it, then thats great. but almost everyone i know who claims to be a 'devout christian' usually isn't. they have something to hide and hope that their religion will be a nice cover.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear View Post
    nope.... one of them is Mormon. besides, i particularly dont care what religion they are. if they are a better person becuase of it, then thats great. but almost everyone i know who claims to be a 'devout christian' usually isn't. they have something to hide and hope that their religion will be a nice cover.
    Well Mormons are Christians though probably not in the same sense as Protestants and Catholics. I agree though that the more religious people are usually the least moral.

One thing to note though is that even though you will hear almost every candidate use "God" on the campaign trail, very often it's only to appeal to a significant religious voting group.

I very much doubt Hillary Clinton goes to church every Sunday. This is still one of the most secular countries in the world and it's very much only because of Bush that religion is even getting attention.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sex maniac View Post
    Maybe "The President for the Space Age", as that man called himself on his campaing, was (is?) Christian too

And about the Mormons, they are not exactly Christians: they accept and follow the Bible but they also have their own religious text, "The Book of Mormon", supposedly given by an angel named Moroni to the founder of that religion (I forget his name, sorry).

That book contains supposedly true testimonies (it is supposed to be a holy revelation) about things not registered neither on the Ancient nor New Testaments, for example that Israel's lost tribes traveled by sea and stablished in North America (if my memory is right).

Those claims have no validity for me. That book was given in the form of gold tablets to the religion's founder and were seen by some persons that later signed a legal document as a proof of their testimony but... where are the gold tablets now?

I'm not saying that it does not exist but if the tablets do exist I don't believe in what is written on its surface.

Sorry but the entire Mormon story has the same look as the Fatima Virgin apparitions of 1917 in Portugal and, even taking in count that the Church accept those as true apparitions of the Virgin Mary (I think), I don't believe so...

Credits
    posted before i read JMCC's post. i basically said the same thing....

back to the topic....

Credits
    @jmcc: I think christians are people who follow Christ and accept him as their savior, this would also apply to mormons despite their additinal holy book... I've searched in google and found some articles which say that mormons are christians and some which say that they are not christians... It's not clear to me... However the mormons do call themselves christians.

Credits
    I created a thread titled "Mormons and other things" on this same section of the forum. Please keep in mind that the things I say there are the result of my personal interest in those matters, I am not an expert...

So, in that thread we can continue this matter if you are interested

Credits
    The republican party nomination is now thrown in the unknown. Mitt Romney (the mormon) just won the michigan primary. That means 3 candidates have won in 4 state presidential candidate elections. Mike Huckabee won Iowa. John McCain won New Hampsire.

Much more interesting race this year....
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Campaign Update:

The main contenders (Republican/Democrat) have been whittled down in recent races.

On the Democratic Side: Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards

On the Republican Side: John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Rudy Guliani, Ron Paul

Recent Wins: Winners of the South Carolina elections were John McCain and Barack Obama.

Florida is up next, however for the Democrats this will likely not matter (as the Democratic Party has stripped Florida of their Party Convention delegates). On the Republican side, Rudy Guliani will likely drop out of the race if he loses Florida. After Jan 29th (Florida), then the mage-day Feb 5th is up. It is important to note, that while 22 states will be voting, on the democratic side some analysts are saying it will be impossible to crown a democratic nominee. The following states will be voting:

Currently 24 states are scheduled to hold caucuses or primary elections on Super Tuesday, 2008. Blue denotes Democratic-only caucuses (3), Red denotes Republican-only state conventions (2), and Purple represents states holding elections for both parties (19).
    Last edited by Granite; 01-27-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added "Ron Paul" to republican candidates

Credits

Exclamation

Campaign Update:

Republican Update --

Rudy Guliani is expected to drop out today (Wed, 1/30/08). He will endorse John McCain at a rally in California. This leaves 4 candidates from the Republican Party - In order left to right -- John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul -- With the Big election on Tuesday:

Democratic Update --

John Edwards is going to drop out of the race with a final speech on poverty in New Orleans. He is not expected to endorse a candidate immediately. This leaves just Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama for Feb 5th.

Credits
    Technically, Mike Gravel is still in the race on the Democrat side, and although he is only on the ballot in 18 states, Alan Keyes is still running for the Republicans.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast